New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Paladin spells for non-paladins?

Aside from the UMD skill plus wands, what ways are there to get paladin spells on a non-paladin spell list (like a favoured soul character getting a paladin spell as a spell known)?

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin spells for non-paladins?

The Extra Spell feat from Complete Arcane lets you learn a spell up to one level lower than the highest you can cast, it doesn't outright say it doesn't have to be from your class spell list, but seems to imply it with the line about wizards taking it "to learn a specific spell that the character lacks access to and would be unable to research."
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronikoce View Post
    If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to hold it for me you wouldn't say they were wielding the candlestick. If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to club an intruder to death you would say they were wielding the candlestick. The act of using the held item for a purpose such as intruder clubbing changes the word that ought to be used.

3. - Top - End - #3

Wyrm Wizard (Dragon Magic) and Recaster (Races of Eberron) are able to poach a small number of spells from any class list. Wyrm Wizard is easier to qualify for, but overall, in my opinion, Recaster is the stronger of the two options (if you are willing to play a Changeling).

Unearthed Arcana has the Prestige Paladin prestige class which will do the job, but it is designed to be used as a replacement for the Paladin base class.

Archivists (Heroes of Horror) are able to just scribe Paladin spells into their prayer books ala Wizards, and cast them normally.
    Last edited by smasher0404; 2021-04-18 at 09:02 PM. Reason: book citation error
    ARRRRGH, I'm a pirate, ninjas are no match for me, Yargh!
    Also this awesome avatar was done by KillItWithFire

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the extra spell feat is intended as a way to give a player access to a spell they wouldn't normally be able to get. Whether it's because they only have so many known spells from level up or are unable to do independent research. As it costs a feat, it is also a nice way to allow access to a spell not normally on the caster's list without going through spell research. As always, such a thing is up to the DM to allow, but I think it's a nice trade for a feat. There are other ways to get access to spells not on your list and one feat for one spell below maximum level is not going to hurt anything. Spirit shaman get an extra bonus as it allows them to increase the number of their retrieved spells and they can change it every day. Technically, druids and clerics cannot benefit from extra spell as they don't actually "know" their spells. Just remember, it will no longer be a paladin spell for things like the Battle Blessing feat.

Archivist can learn paladin spells as long as a paladin is willing to assist in scroll creation or craft their own scrolls.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Chameleons using their Divine focus can cast paladin spells.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Archivist (already mentioned) is probably the easiest way.

The Silver Pyromancer PrC (Five Nations) allows an arcane spellcaster to add Paladin spells to their arcane spell list.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Pyromancer on a spontaneous arcane caster could be combined with Dragonblood Spell-pact to shift a paladin spell to any spontaneous caster.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

There is an artifact called shield of the sun that lets you cast spells as a paladin. it has some conditions but still counts.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Holy Liberator, or Pious Templar - if non-Evil and of non-Evil deity (Complete Divine)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I have a arcane paladin build which may be something for you.

Cloistered Cleric 1/Duskblade 9/Silver Pyromancer 1/Duskblade +9 (18)

You may only get access to Paladin Spells at ECL 12, but unlike classes like the Warmage, you get to learn new paladin spells at each level for each spell level available to you.

From ECL 12 to 20 you can learn
    9x 1st level Paladin Spells
    9x 2nd level Paladin Spells
    9x 3rd level Paladin Spells
    and
    6x 4th level Paladin Spells

Cloistered Cleric gives you three domains which allows you get your domain spells as spells known for the Duskblade. Since a 17th level Duskblade gains access at 5th level spells, you could chose domains thematic for a paladin at these levels.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    Silver Pyromancer on a spontaneous arcane caster could be combined with Dragonblood Spell-pact to shift a paladin spell to any spontaneous caster.
    Yeah, that would be a solid way to get Paladin spells onto a Favored Soul. Swap spells with a Sorcerer/Silver Pyromancer using Dragonblood Spell-pact (so long as both parties are dragon blooded).

I also like Dragonblood Spell-pact to get FS to qualify for Hexer.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I also like Dragonblood Spell-pact to get FS to qualify for Hexer.
    That is nice. It also plausibly works on a Spirit Shaman/Spontaneous Cleric/Spontaneous Druid.

Edit: A natural gish arises via Favored Soul 4/Ordained Champion 3/Hexer 10 which has zero feat tax.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Prestige Paladin is your best bet. A build I particularly like is FS 7/Dragonslayer 1/Sacred Exorcist 1/PrPaladin 2/Fist of Raziel 9. This gives you paladin and cleric spells up to 9th level, Cha to saves, Lay on Hands, fear immunity, smite evil 6/day, and permanent Magic Circle Against Evil among other benefits. You'll be pretty feat-starved early on though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Prestige Paladin is your best bet. A build I particularly like is FS 7/Dragonslayer 1/Sacred Exorcist 1/PrPaladin 2/Fist of Raziel 9. This gives you paladin and cleric spells up to 9th level, Cha to saves, Lay on Hands, fear immunity, smite evil 6/day, and permanent Magic Circle Against Evil among other benefits. You'll be pretty feat-starved early on though.
    Alternatively, instead of favored soul, cleric can work here as well.

At level ECL 9 you gain Divine Grace, which automatically qualifies you for the feat Serenity. Serenity alters Smite Evil, Lay on Hands, Divine Grace and Turn Undead in the way, that you use Wisdom instead.

Cleric 7 (ACF: Pool of Healing)/Prestige Paladin 3/Fist of Raziel 10

Instead of Serenity, another option is to use the 1st level feat Dynamic Priest (Legends of the Twins) from the Dragon Lance Setting. It alters the divine spellcasting of your chosen class (even if you haven't taken a level in it yet) to use Charisma (Spell DC, Bonus Spells and ability to cast) over any other mental stat.

With Dynamic Priest you won't run into some of the unaccounted RAW for other abilities, feats and class features, which still require turn undead, but still list Charisma like Divine Shield and Might.
    Serenity may have within it's roleplay fluff the strong implication, but it doesn't speak in the benefit of the unaccounted divine class features, feats and abilities to now use wisdom as well.

If one values intelligence, Academic Priest (also from Legends of the Twins) makes spellcasting completely based on it. A Archivist for example will have it's spellcasting no longer be determined by both INT and WIS, but just INT alone.
    A Cloistered Cleric with Academic Priest will turn to the skill monkey of the group.

15. - Top - End - #15

RogueGuy

Do you want a particular paladin spell(s)? or do you want all of them?

What level are you building to?
    Spoiler
    Show

At character level 6, a chameleon has more paladin spells than a paladin 10.

At character level 8, a chameleon has more paladin spells than a paladin 11.

At character level 10, a chameleon has more paladin spells than a paladin 14.

At character level 12, a chameleon has more paladin spells than a paladin 20. AND ALSO almost as many favored soul spells than a favored soul 9.

A favored soul doesn't really have anything over a FS before 14th level, except spontaneous spellcasting.

If one enters chameleon with
    Cloistered cleric 1/ Favored Soul 5, they get spontaneous 3rds, and stay ahead of the paladin.

If one mix n matches
    Favored Soul 13/ Chameleon 7, they achieve 6th level spontaneous, can access every 8th level spell in the entire game, and have more spells than they can use.