New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Copycat: D&D builds of popular characters!

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    She might be small but remember, she knocked out a BIG rhino with a single kick... that requiere some amazing strenght for her lithe frame!
    I would think a monk's ability to apply dexterity instead of strength to unarmed attacks would work well for this though. Plus monk levels would give her a ton of extra mobility including things like Step of the Wind for great jumping ability, which seems pretty critical. I would expect Judy to be a Monk/Ranger personally. Ranger should fill in enough of the skills to make her a great detective, while monk gives her the physical combat and mobility we expect. Maybe a hint of rogue, but I think you'd find it redundant with the ranger.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    I would think a monk's ability to apply dexterity instead of strength to unarmed attacks would work well for this though. Plus monk levels would give her a ton of extra mobility including things like Step of the Wind for great jumping ability, which seems pretty critical. I would expect Judy to be a Monk/Ranger personally. Ranger should fill in enough of the skills to make her a great detective, while monk gives her the physical combat and mobility we expect. Maybe a hint of rogue, but I think you'd find it redundant with the ranger.
    I didn't see her as being trained in speed, or any other trained policeman in the police academy. From the training montage and short sequence from it, It seem policeman are trained in boxing.

One of the reason for them to be so focused on strenght is that they might have to carry culprits to the police station. On that regard, even my build on Judie is failing. Even with her strenght, she wouldn't be able to carry a Goliath in full plate... Lets not forget that even with Strenght 10, it mean a normal character without Powerful Build can only carry to the maximum of 300 pounds. A Loxodon or Goliath can wear a lot more then that, naked at that!

Its true that I DID think of Monk but why any other policeman are trained this way? That's because they aren't!

So I went with the logical way to make it, not the optimal way to make a Zootopia investigator. Her training is the same as other policeman from police academy after all. And none of them are trained as Monk.

EDIT: And what did you think of Nick Wilde? I needed one of them to know Feather Fall and it made sense for him to have it with his Bard training. ALSO... Its ironic to me that Nick wanted to join the equivalent of the Rangers when he was young but gave up on it LOL
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-04-26 at 09:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Going over the training scene, it strikes me very much as Judy finding alternate solutions to problems designed around big Strength-based characters. Where the others climb the ice-wall, Judy hops using the other trainees as ground. When put against a rhino, she doesn't punch back: she uses evasiveness to avoid attacks and then uses her environment to help redirect his own punch.

(Jumping is also STR-based in D&D 5e, but ideally I'd probably model this as some sort of racial feature. Rabbitfolk's Rabbit Hop sort of models something close to this. Judy's Small, but lives in a world with a lot of Tiny people.)

She gets the same training as everyone else, but makes use of the fact she's a rabbit -- and so cannot take the expected approach -- to achieve the goals set in different ways. She's still proportionately strong for a rabbit, mind, but I wouldn't make it her primary stat.

Monk's an alright way of modelling this. It's speedy and evasive, offers a lot of unarmed support, and gives you a decent unarmoured AC; Judy's outfit could be modelled as light or even medium armour, but it seems like the police generally just wear a suit and tie. That said, Judy isn't particularly mystical: 'Ki' is stamina and adrenaline, she probably hasn't taken the class to high-levels, and she picked a subclass like Drunken Master that doesn't let her do anything outrageously fantastical.

After that, Judy might take some levels in Rogue for Expertise and additional proficiencies. Expertise in Athletics helps make up for (relatively) poor Strength. Inquisitive will heighten some detective skills, but Scout also offers some movement bonuses. What amounts to Nature Expertise on a carrot farmer is a bonus. If your DM will allow you to apply manacles to a stunned or grappled opponent in combat, you could consider Thief, but allowing that's their perogative. Downside: unarmed strikes aren't finesse weapons, and I don't remember the Zootopia police using batons or the like.
    Last edited by Lavaeolus; 2021-04-27 at 01:00 PM.
    Avatar by me. Behold my art thread for a bigger-resolution view.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lavaeolus View Post
    Judy's outfit could be modelled as light or even medium armour, but it seems like the police generally just wear a suit and tie.
    Eeyup! She is definitely wearing a top armor. I think it might be cause their is no other female cops in Zootopia OR... the other animal have NATURAL ARMOR.

Its also one of the reason I went with Fighter instead of Monk.

That said, Judy isn't particularly mystical: 'Ki' is stamina and adrenaline, she probably hasn't taken the class to high-levels, and she picked a subclass like Drunken Master that doesn't let her do anything outrageously fantastical.
    THAT'S another problem I met with the build and why I didn't go with Monk! The less mystical option is Drunken Master AND it doesnt fit her at all! The other one is the Monastery Tradition : The Open Hand style BUT if you go further then a few levels, you can heal people. Not fitting her.

Also, she defeated that Rhino with a SINGLE STRIKE, no Furry of blow involved. Monk are better at dealing several hit per rounds.

Anoter counter argument to give her STR some love: She pushed a big fat sheet stuck in a window frame to the side of the rail to avoid hitting that other train (sorry English is not my first language). I doubt a Monk would be able to do the same.

After that, Judy might take some levels in Rogue for Expertise and additional proficiencies. Expertise in Athletics helps make up for (relatively) poor Strength. Inquisitive will heighten some detective skills, but Scout also offers some movement bonuses. What amounts to Nature Expertise on a carrot farmer is a bonus. If your DM will allow you to apply manacles to a stunned or grappled opponent in combat, you could consider Thief, but allowing that's their perogative
    That's how I builded her at first... But to be honest, I think the STR focus fit her if we consider its her LEGS MUSCLES that are stronger then the usual rabbit from all that training. She can definitely jump higher and better then a normal rabbit, with some Acrobatic Training to land on any surface and jump back again.

Downside: unarmed strikes aren't finesse weapons, and I don't remember the Zootopia police using batons or the like.
    That's a MAJOR downside if you ask me! The only weapon I remember in the movie is a taser and a net! And one of them that would requiere Shocking Grasp... and she didnt want to take it anyway lol

LONG STORY SHORT: I dont think their is a perfectly fitting build for her... Its one of those build you need to sacrifice something to fit the flavor but always sacrificing something else that is as vital for her in the process.

You could be more flexible in the rules or adapt and to be honest, you need to do that often. Its one of the fun thing in making characters to be honest. I made my Poe build use chopsticks to battle with! It was only done in ONE scene in the movies and not a recurent thing. But it still was very flavorful and acceptable if you ask me... while others will always disagree on your build, even if you had the best intentions or if it was flavorful to you.

If you like her as a Monk/Ranger/Rogue, make the build so we can compare! Not only it will be entertaining for the others to read and compare but You'll see for yourself its always easy to find a flaw in a build.

That's also why I admire Tulok to be able to deal with his complains all the time LOL

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A large strength investment is not necessary for wonderful jumping ability.

For example, a dex20/str10 monk3/rogue(thief)3 can make a 30-foot long running jump when using step of the wind, which incidentally is around the world record for humans.

If you give her two levels in ranger she can cast Jump, increasing her jump distance to 90 feet. Getting enough movement speed to take advantage of this is simple considering you can dash as a bonus action, plus you have all the speed boosts of the monk and ranger classes.

Consider:

Judy sees two bad guys making a getaway across the rooftops of Zootopia. They're goats, great climbers and jumpers, so she knows she's in in for a hell of a chase: she takes a moment to psych herself up as she picks up speed: mechanically, she's casting Longstrider, Jump, and finally Zephyr Strike on herself over the first three rounds of the chase while still moving quickly toward the perps, dashing every round even while casting those spells. By the end of the second round her base speed is 95 feet (assuming at least 6 levels in both monk and ranger as well as the mobile and squat nimbleness feats). Using Step of the wind she can jump 90 feet, clearing the distance not just over alleyways, but over many of the streets.

The goats see the lithe little cop quickly closing in, and the boss tells his two thugs to stop her while he gets away with the loot. The loyal enforcers stop and block the bunny's path, but without even slowing down, she sails effortlessly over their heads and tackles the boss: A 90 foot long jump clears obstacles up to 22.5 feet high, which puts her well above the melee attack range of most opponents at the apex of this jump.

This build requires no strength investment at all, just smart mixing of three classes... and with minimal MAD, as all your multiclasses just require dex and wis. And with dex 20 and monk 6, her unarmed attacks deal almost as much damage as a fighter with unarmed fighting style and 20 str, but she can make 4 of them in one round and apply stunning strike to each of them.

I would finalize this build at Monk 8, Ranger 8, Rogue 4, which gets you 5 ASI (probably +2 Dex, Squat Nimbleness, Mobile, +2 Wis, +2 Wis. Assuming you started with 17 Dex and 16 Wis you max them both out and get all that tasty move speed) Rogue and ranger gives you tons of proficiency and 3x expertise to fill out your detective skills. Select subtle, low-magic spells for the ranger and treat them like natural abilities fueled by willpower and/or plot armor, the same as you do your Ki-based abilities. Your role in combat is to take advantage of your extreme mobility to leap right over the front lines of combat to the back of the enemy ranks and incapacitate the boss/spellcasters/snipers by applying stunning strikes.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Also, she defeated that Rhino with a SINGLE STRIKE, no Furry of blow involved. Monk are better at dealing several hit per rounds.
    Depending on the level investment, monks can deal as much or more damage in one unarmed strike than a fighter can. A fighter with 20 strength using one hand to deliver the unarmed strike deals 1d6+5 damage, the same as a 5th-10th level monk with 20 dex. At 11th-16th levels a monk's single punch is as strong as the fighter's double-fisted haymaker, and at 17+ it's even stronger.

But in both cases, the damage they deal is very similar, only differing by 1 or 2 points depending on the level.

What the monk DOES have that the fighter does not is a way to incapacitate an opponent without reducing them to 0 HP: stunning strike.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2021-04-27 at 04:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I would finalize this build at Monk 8, Ranger 8, Rogue 4, which gets you 5 ASI (probably +2 Dex, Squat Nimbleness, Mobile, +2 Wis, +2 Wis. Assuming you started with 17 Dex and 16 Wis you max them both out and get all that tasty move speed) Rogue and ranger gives you tons of proficiency and 3x expertise to fill out your detective skills. Select subtle, low-magic spells for the ranger and treat them like natural abilities fueled by willpower and/or plot armor, the same as you do your Ki-based abilities. Your role in combat is to take advantage of your extreme mobility to leap right over the front lines of combat to the back of the enemy ranks and incapacitate the boss/spellcasters/snipers by applying stunning strikes.
    Im not sure what Squat Nimbleness is but you are probably right, as usual.

I could try to make the build now but I had one hell of a bad day today. I'll try to do it somewhere this week.

As for my Nick Wilde build, I suppose there was nothing to say?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Im not sure what Squat Nimbleness is but you are probably right, as usual.

I could try to make the build now but I had one hell of a bad day today. I'll try to do it somewhere this week.

As for my Nick Wilde build, I suppose there was nothing to say?
    Its fine: the stats are basically where they should be, but I don't know that having that much spellcasting is really justified. All his feats are well within the capabilities of a rogue with social expertise and a high charisma.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Its fine: the stats are basically where they should be, but I don't know that having that much spellcasting is really justified. All his feats are well within the capabilities of a rogue with social expertise and a high charisma.
    aaaah Thank you!

I added a fifth level of Bard so that he could get Leomund Tiny Hunt since his home seemed to be under a bridge and that seemed to be an highly unconfortable way to live LOL

But instead, I could just give him the 4th level for the College of Eloquence at level 3 and the feat at level 4 and replace the fifth level with a level of Fighter for another feat or ability improuvement... Im not sure what though. Considering he never truly fought anyone in the movie, its hard to give him useful like "Sharpshooter" but he would make a good police negociator job... I think I could give him the Lucky feat though... He managed to become a cop despite having being a small crook and never have being caught or charge before, that's quite the feat!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Not my post, but I wanted to share as I was considering something similar Kaladin Stormblessed from the Stormlight Archive novels by Brandon Sanderson. It's in the 'Tulok The Barbarian' style of character building as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_...din_in_dnd_5e/
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

92% of forum users no longer put made-up statistics in their signatures. If you're part of the 8% who still do, copy and paste this into your signature.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

aaaah Thank you!

I added a fifth level of Bard so that he could get Leomund Tiny Hunt since his home seemed to be under a bridge and that seemed to be an highly unconfortable way to live LOL

But instead, I could just give him the 4th level for the College of Eloquence at level 3 and the feat at level 4 and replace the fifth level with a level of Fighter for another feat or ability improuvement... Im not sure what though. Considering he never truly fought anyone in the movie, its hard to give him useful like "Sharpshooter" but he would make a good police negociator job... I think I could give him the Lucky feat though... He managed to become a cop despite having being a small crook and never have being caught or charge before, that's quite the feat!
    Something to consider: very few characters are what we would call "level 20". Batman, sure, absolutely, he's 20th level for sure, he fights Gods and such. Judy and Nick? Probably not. That doesn't mean you can't plan out their builds into the future for a hypothetical 20 level build, but for a fairly low-powered film like Zootopia don't get caught up on whether an ability you give them at level 18 is something you saw them do in the film.

The Lucky feat is a good call for him. I can get behind taking bard to 3rd level for College of Eloquence's Silver Tongue and some very subtle spells you can reflavor as natural abilities. Maybe Bard 3, Rogue 8, Ranger 4, Monk 5 For a 20 level build. He'd focus on being the party face, with maxed charisma and expertise in the right places, while his combat abilities would be very tame. That's the other thing: don't be afraid to make someone not great at combat if they aren't supposed to be great at combat. Nick should waltz through social encounters while taking a back seat in a fight.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2021-04-28 at 02:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

SIDE NOTE: I added Spawn to the character list!

=========

Ok, today, my build is for Froppy (My Hero Academia)

But before going into it, I want to link to the build of Tulok. Althought I disagree with it, I think it's nice to have a build to compare mine to:

Spoiler: Froppy, by Tulok
    Show

Now, what I don't agree with the build... Even if he gave some spellcasting to Froppy, I feel like the choice of spells were off chart. Just for an exemple, he gave her mending... but not Mage Hand ?! Mage Hand would have bing perfect to represent how she can move objects from a distance with her tongue.

I dont really agree in making her a Monk as well but that's a nitpick. And the build definitely need a swimming speed !!

Personnaly, I decided to make her with enough spells to represent what she can do for the team. AND... ok, I'll be 100% honest here, some spells are a bit streching on what she can do in the anime BUT it fit the frog theme AND it gives her a lot of utility that fit a frog champion warrior.

Also, I do not like how Tulok build doesn't give her REACH! Her tongue have reach so even if she "tongue-slap the witch" it will have to be in close-quarters. But again, its hard to make the VERY long frog tongue work in DND mecanich but I think I found a away!

I'll explain myself in the build but feel free to comment if you prefer Tulok version over mine, which is totally fine:

Froppy Build :

Race : Grung
    Stats gained : (+2 Dex, + 1 Con)

Stats (total at level 1):

Strenght 8, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 14

LEVEL 1 : Rogue (lvl.1)

Skill Trained : Acrobatic, Stealth, Persuasion
    Background skills (Sailor) : Athletic, Perception (Perfect background for Froppy to reflect her experience on a ship and her interSHIP episode)
    Proficency on Dexterity, Intelligence saving throw

Expertise (Acrobatics, Stealth)
    Thieves Cant
    Sneak Attack (+1d6)

LEVEL 2 : Rogue (lvl.2)
    Cunning Action

LEVEL 3 : Warlock (lvl.1)

Otherwordly Patron (The Genie - Djinn)
    (I took the air genie because I want the thunder damage to be "ribbit" sounds. I found it way more fitting AND cute then the cold damage from the water genie. Beside, you can justify it in the air genie agenda is to have agent to go after the water genie followers)

Genie’s Vessel : Enter the vessel, act like a bag of holding, act as a confortable room of 20 feet square Inside.
    + deal extra damage with an attack roll equal to your proficiency bonus, Thunder damage
    (It also gives you a room to have A BATH! Now your Grung weakness is being nullified and you can be hydraded anywhere! That would be annoying to roleplay anyway lol)

Pact Magic (Detect Evil and Good, Thunderwave)
    Cantrip : Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand
    1st level Known spell : Hex, Expeditious Retreat

LEVEL 4 : Rogue (lvl.3)

Rogue Archetype (Scout) :
    - Skirmisher : You can move your half your speed as a reaction if an ennemy is 5 feet away from you during your turn. No attack of opportunity against me doing so.
    - Survivalist (gain Nature and Survival skill, double skill proficiency for them)
    Sneak Attack (+2d6)

LEVEL 5 : Warlock (lvl.2)
    New Incantations (Armor of Shadow and… Grasp of Hadar but that one will be replaced later)

LEVEL 6 : Warlock (lvl3)
    Pact Boon (Pact of the Blade to get a whip. You have reach now, like Froppy’s tongue!)
    Get another level 2 spell, get Earthbind to bring those pesky flying bugs within reach... very fitting the frog theme here, imagine the spell visualizing a giant frog tongue bringing your foes to the ground!!)

LEVEL 7 : Rogue (lvl.4)
    Ability Enhancement (+1 Dex, +1 Con)

LEVEL 8 : Warlock (lvl.4)
    +1 cantrip, take Lightning Lure. Its better then Eldritch Blast and Grasp of Hadar to move your allies or your opponents as it doesnt requiere an attack roll.
    New Feat (Resilient – Con : +1 Con, proficient with Con saves)
    +1 spell, get Spider Climb to attack with your whip while climbing

LEVEL 9 : Warlock (lvl.5)
    New incantation (Gift of the Depths and also, replace Grasp of Hadar with Thirsting Blade.)
    +1 Spell Known, level. 3 : Tongues (get it ? Because of frog tongues ? But also because « kero kero » is adorable in any language)

LEVEL 10 : Warlock (lvl.6)
    Otherworldy Patron Feature (resistance to thunder damage and can get a flight speed of 30 as a bonus action… Sure Froppy cannot fly normally but think of it as using her tongue as a bungee cord. She does it often.)

LEVEL 11 : Warlock : (lvl. 7)
    New Incantation (Eldritch Smite) (Now you can sacrifice those spell slots if you dpont like them for Froppy to make powerful attacks!)
    +1 spell known, lvl.4 : (I dont like any of the level 4 spells and not fitting Froppy so I picked Hold Person)

LEVEL 12 : Warlock ( lvl.8)
    Ability Enhancement (+2 Cha)

LEVEL 13 : Warlock (lvl.9)
    New Incantation : Otherwordly Leap (Jump spell at will ! We did it, max frog power the Warlock class can give us !)
    +1 Spell known, level 5 : Hold Monster

LEVEL 14 : Rogue (lvl.5)
    Uncanny Dodge

LEVEL 15 : Rogue (lvl.6)
    Expertise (Atheltic, Perception)

LEVEL 16 : Rogue (lvl.7)
    Evasion

LEVEL 17 : Rogue (lvl.8)
    Ability Improvement (+2 Dex)

LEVEL 18 : Rogue (lvl.9)
    Rogue Archetype (+10 to all speed)

LEVEL 19 : Rogue (lvl.10)
    +2 Ability Improuvement (Cha)

LEVEL 20 : Rogue (lvl.11)
    Reliable Talent
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2022-09-11 at 11:31 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Huh.

I envisioned Batman as a Shadow Monk/Assassin Rogue.

Perhaps I'll try a build later.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

No comments on Froppy? Im surprised!

Whatever, here's my second version of Judie Hopps, that I made with all of your feedback!

WARNING: Im using an house rule that Ki-Powered Strikes of Level 6 Monks count also as finesse weapons. A lot of players complain about that and personnaly, I think it would make sense that if they can count as magic weapon, a finger is as powerful as a a punch.

Judie Hopp - Zootopia (V.2)

Some change I made: I gave her a new background fitting the nature of where she grew up. I did not gave her Ranger levels because I believe the Rogue levels with the Scout archetype fit her better. I do have a Ranger character coming up to show you guys what a character needs, at least for me, to have Ranger levels.

1) Master of the Field: You can trained to adapt to every environnement of Zootopia
    2) Sherlock Hare : You are a cop and a master investigator
    3) Poursuit Expert: You got to catch the running criminal with great speed

Stats:

Str: 8 (You are a rabbit, not a strong rhino)
    Dex: 14 (You are agile and quick on your feet)
    Con: 13 (You can tank a few hits and growing in the countryside made you as healthy as you can be!)
    Int: 10 (You are not dumb but you are a cop, not a scholar)
    Wis: 15 (You are iron-willed and perceptive)
    Cha: 12 (You are charming but not enough to convince other animals with your words that you are a worthy cop)

Race: After much consideration, I decided to go with custom race once again. Mostly because of what it could give to rabbits people:
    Stats : +2 Dex
    Feat : Alert
    Skill trained : Perception

Background : Selesnya Initiate (Nature + Persuasion) // That will reflect you growing up surrounded by farms and nature

Class Progression:

Level 1: Rogue
    Skill trained : Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Investigation
    Expertise (Athletic, Perception)
    Thieves Cant and Sneak Attack (1d6)

Level 2 : Monk
    Unarmored Defense, Martial Arts

Level 3 : Monk
    Unarmored Movement, Ki

Level 4 : Monk
    Monastery Tradition (Way of the Open Hand), Deflect Missiles

Level 5 : Monk
    Ability Mod (+2 Dex)

Level 6 : Monk
    Extra Attack, Stunning Strike

Level 7 : Monk
    Ki Powered Strikes (See house rules above) and Monastic Tradition feature

Level 8 : Rogue
    Cunning Action

Level 9 : Rogue
    Roguish Archetype (Scout)

Level 10 : Rogue
    New Feat: Tough (+1 Wis)

Level 11 : Rogue
    Uncanny Dodge

Level 12 : Rogue
    Expertise (Investigation, Arcobatics)

Level 13 : Rogue
    Evasion

Level 14 : Rogue
    Ability Mod. (+2 Dex)

Level 15 : Rogue
    Roguish Archetype (+10 all speeds. With Unarmored Movement, you now have +25 mouvement speed! Just like a Monk of the same level!)

Level 16 : Rogue
    New Feat (Fighting Initiate: Get the Mariner fighting style for climb speed + swim speed AND +1 Armor! )

Level 17 : Rogue
    Reliable Talent

Level 18 : Rogue
    Ability Mod. (+2 Wis)

Level 19 : Rogue
    Roguish Archetype (Ambush Master - perfect against those who are underestimating you and have an explosive first turn!)

Level 20 : Rogue
    Blindsense
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-05-03 at 04:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

BlackDragon

No comments on Froppy? Im surprised!
    I liked it, but I'm not familiar enough with the character to comment further.

Very cool thread!

Work in progress:

Buffy Anne Summers

"I'm going to give you all a nice, fun, normal evening, if I have to kill every single person on the face of the earth to do it"

Str: 16 (You are a lot stronger than you look.)
    Dex: 18 (Even before you became the chosen one you were a cheerleader.)
    Con: 16 (In the first season alone you survive electrocution, drowning, any number of fights and spending your nights saving the world while you cope with school during the day.)
    Int: 12 (You are smart but you don't study all that much - leave the book stuff to the English librarian and the redhead who knows computers.)
    Wis: 10 (Being hypnotised by your archenemy was not a great start to your climactic encounter. At least you got better!)
    Cha: 12 (Pretty, funny and you'd easily fit in with the in-crowd if you didn't stop hanging with freaks and geeks.)

Alignment: Neutral Good
    Race: Human (mystically empowered)
    Class: Okay this is trickier than I thought... I originally planned Buffy as a Monk but I'm not sure I can justify anything more than an average Wisdom score, at least early on. Any suggestions?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    I liked it, but I'm not familiar enough with the character to comment further.

Very cool thread!

Work in progress:

Buffy Anne Summers

"I'm going to give you all a nice, fun, normal evening, if I have to kill every single person on the face of the earth to do it"

Str: 16 (You are a lot stronger than you look.)
    Dex: 18 (Even before you became the chosen one you were a cheerleader.)
    Con: 16 (In the first season alone you survive electrocution, drowning, any number of fights and spending your nights saving the world while you cope with school during the day.)
    Int: 12 (You are smart but you don't study all that much - leave the book stuff to the English librarian and the redhead who knows computers.)
    Wis: 10 (Being hypnotised by your archenemy was not a great start to your climactic encounter. At least you got better!)
    Cha: 12 (Pretty, funny and you'd easily fit in with the in-crowd if you didn't stop hanging with freaks and geeks.)

Alignment: Neutral Good
    Race: Human (mystically empowered)
    Class: Okay this is trickier than I thought... I originally planned Buffy as a Monk but I'm not sure I can justify anything more than an average Wisdom score, at least early on. Any suggestions?
    For flavor, I want Buffy to be cleric or paladin, but you gave her both low Wis and Cha.

17. - Top - End - #47

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by sayaijin View Post
    For flavor, I want Buffy to be cleric or paladin, but you gave her both low Wis and Cha.
    I could probably boost both a little (to 12 and 14 say) but given these are meant to be her base stats (well, at least after being Called) I don't think Season One Buffy would have sky high stats in either.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    I could probably boost both a little (to 12 and 14 say) but given these are meant to be her base stats (well, at least after being Called) I don't think Season One Buffy would have sky high stats in either.
    How about a Dexadin who only uses smite-slots for smites?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I feel like buffy is (at least in part) a ranger with undead and fiends as favored enemies.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The Doctor

Custom Lineage (Time Lord)
    Genie Warlock (Dao) 11
    Mastermind Rogue 9
    Str 12
    Dex 16
    Con 18
    Int 20
    Wis 10
    Cha 20

The Doctor is incredibly intelligent and charismatic. They have also survived many things humans can't like absorbing radiation or falling from impossible heights, so we get great Con. They have passable skills with a sword, so decent Dex, and they even hold onto things like ledges and the bottom of the TARDIS well, so we'll take above average Str. They're not the most cautious, so we get average Wis.

All right, stay with me on this next part because it's going to require some handwaving. Genie Warlock 11 gives us an extradimensional space that's larger on the inside that we can take other characters into. We will say that the TARDIS itself is the one he makes the pact with when he steals it, and it gave him a boon that his genie's vessel is medium size and has a much larger interior than a normal vessel.

For our Pact, we're going with Tome where the psychic paper is the "tome", and either it or our sonic screwdriver is our spellcasting focus.

Spoiler: Spells known:
    Show

Spoiler: Tome Spells
    Show

Vicious Mockery
    Spare the Dying
    Mending
    Rituals:
    Detect Magic
    Comprehend Languages
    Detect Poison and Disease
    Identify

Spoiler: Warlock Spells
    Show

Cantrips:
    Friends
    Mind Sliver
    Prestidigitation
    Minor Illusion
    1st Level:
    Detect Evil and Good
    Sanctuary
    Cause Fear
    2nd Level:
    Enthrall
    Suggestion
    3rd Level:
    Dispel Magic
    Tongues
    4th Level:
    Charm Monster
    5th Level:
    Modify Memory
    Scrying
    Teleportation Circle

Mystic Arcanum:
    Mass Suggestion

Spoiler: Invocations:
    Show

Beast Speech
    Book of Ancient Secrets
    Eldritch Sight
    Mask of Many Faces
    Gift of the Protectors (Regeneration)

Mastermind Rogue 9 gives us bonus action Help because, let's face it, the Doctor always prioritizes:
    1) Talk his way out
    2) Run
    3) Get his allies to fight for him
    4) Fight

If the Doctor is in combat, they will likely use their expertise (persuasion) or spells to disarm a situation, if even just long enough to escape. Otherwise, they will likely use Help as both their action and bonus action. If the chips are really down, they have both Vicious Mockery and Mind Sliver. The Third Doctor even used hand to hand fighting and the Tenth Doctor was competent with a sword.

The 9th level ability Insightful Manipulator gives us the ability to recall things about species that we haven't seen in hundreds of years.

We rarely see the Doctor fly, so the 6th level Warlock ability is kind of wasted unless that's the TARDIS flying. If we allow the TARDIS to instead just be a magic item along with the sonic screwdriver and psychic paper, then we could go full rogue or rogue/bard, but I do love how close the genie's vessel gets us to the TARDIS.
    Last edited by sayaijin; 2021-05-06 at 05:53 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I feel like buffy is (at least in part) a ranger with undead and fiends as favored enemies.
    Indeed! That’s how I identify characters who need the Ranger class: they have a certain kind of ennemis that they are specialized to deal with! Buffy need to be an Hunter Conclave Ranger mixed with Kensei Weapon Monk

Also, you -Buff-ed her stats way too much... Not sorry for the pun lol

EDIT: Nice Doctor Who build! Im not familiar with the show that much but he sure seem like a good supporting character!
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-05-06 at 10:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Reposting this as I didn't prepare enough posts for the build link, so I have to edit my first post!

Im not sure how to do it better sorry! Im not great at editing
    ===

I will start with the main hero of the Kung-Fu Panda serie: Poe, the Dragon Warrior!

Goals for the build:

1) Master the dragon scroll

2) Zero to Hero (start NOT as a kung-fu fighter but as a great cook)

3) SKIDOOOSH! (Banish your enemies in another realm of existence!)

Spoiler: Stats
    Show

Str: 10 (You aren't hiding a lot of muscle under all that faaaaa... FUR! Y-Yeah I meant fur!)
    Dex: 14 (You might be clumsy but you can manipulate chopsticks and a kitchen knife like a champion, that's fine manipulation)
    Con: 13 (You are full of lifeforce that need to be replenish constantly with food)
    Int: 12 (You are very good at remembering kung-fu trivia... and even stuff that happened to you as a baby!)
    Wis: 15 (You actually mastered Kung-Fu faster then any other students, achieved inner peace AND gained mastery of Chi before your own teacher! That requiere deep understanding of your Dao and an iron will!)
    Cha: 8 (You have bad hygiene and you are socially inapt. Your bad social skills often makes you look dumb even)

Spoiler: Race:
    Show
    Althought bugbear has the word "bear" in it, it's just an hairy goblin and more importantly, your race is mostly chaotic evil. So I decided to go with custom linage:

Ability: +2 Con (I associate Con with lifeforce and Chi reserve)
    Feat: Chief (+1 Wis and now you can cook the best noodle soup in China!)
    Darkvision

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    I took the Inheritor background. You received a strange scroll from a tortle named Oogway and you need to protect it until you become ready to master it. It gives you the Survival and the History skills.

Spoiler: Class levels (I'll only list what needs to be taken to fit Poe as a character)
    Show

Level 1: Druid

Surprised? You started your life abandonned by your mother, who got ate alive by wolves in the middle of the woods. It will make more sense later on but its a necessity for the build in the long run.

Skills: Arcana and Religion (you are a nerd and know your stuff)

Spells //
    Cantrips: Create Bonfire (to cook, light up fireworks or attack your enemies) and Shillelagh (For flavor, enhance wooden chopsticks to count as your wooden club. As a GM, I would allow it!)
    Spells lvl.1: Purify Food and Drink and Create/Destroy Water (Spells fitting a cook!)

Level 2: Monk

Your training start now!

Level 3: Monk

Level 4: Monk

Monastic Tradition (Drunken Master) // Your kung-fu seem erratic and you seem like a fighting jester. I do think its the best fitting Monastic Tradition for him!

Level 5: Monk

New feat: Resilient (Con) - gain +1 Con

Level 6: Monk

Level 7: Monk

Level 8: Druid

Going back to druid, picking the circle of the Druid of the Stars! Yes, now you can manifest the aspect of the dragon scroll in your possession! You have effectively mastered Kung-fu!
    Spells: Jump

Level 9: Druid
    Spells: Enhanced Ability // Absorb Elements (That explain how your paws can be on fire after stopping a flaming cannonball lol)

Level 10: Monk
    Evasion, Stillness of Mind (Yay, you gained inner peace at level 10!)

Level 11: Druid
    Ability Improuvement (+2 Wis)
    Spells:
    Cantrip // Druidcraft (You can now make a flower bloom with your chi, hurray!)
    Spells: Pass without Trace (he can't turn invisible and its the only way for him to go "stealth mode".

Level 12: Druid
    Spells: Plant Growth, Cure Wounds (Your mastery of Chi has become more obvious now)

Level 13: Druid // Druid Circle feature

Level 14: Druid
    Spell: Lesser Restauration

Level 15: Druid
    Ability Improvement (+2 Wis)
    Spells: Freedom of Mouvement (You had a plan to escape hardcore shackles and I can’t make Mantis to free you since its an impossible build to make. Playable Tiny races DON’T exist it seems. So this spell will have to do... Unless I make Mantis the bugbear in stats? Seem very fitting except for the size... I might be on to something here!)

Level 16: Druid
    Spells: Revivify, Commune with Nature

Level 17: Druid
    Spells: Greater Restauration

Level 18: Druid
    Spells: Investure of Stone (When you move, the Earth tremble under you! And you can be the Cool-Aid man and pass trought wall as a bonus)

Level 19: Druid
    Ability Improvement (+2 Wis to cap Wis)

Level 20: Druid
    Spells: Planeshift (FINALLY! Planeshift is a level 7 spell so I couldn't get it sooner in the build! Now you can use the Wuxi Finger Hold!)
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-10-06 at 02:45 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

The trick for Buffy: Don't balance her against your average first level character.

Balance her against Angel and Spike, who are both vampires with class levels.

(Angel, the Vampire (Vengeance? Devotion?) Paladin (And Angelus is Oathbreaker Paladin, naturally) Spike, the Vampire Barbarian.)

You might figure Darla is a vampire Bard, Drusilla is a Vampire Diviner, and the Master...can cause Earthquakes. There's only so many classes that give you access to the Earthquake spell, which gives you an idea why the Master is so tough.

Lest anyone forget, the base stats of a vampire look like this:

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    18 (+4) 18 (+4) 18 (+4) 17 (+3) 15 (+2) 18 (+4)

...Buffy better be able to keep pace with that, and even be slightly superior in some ways.
    Last edited by Angelalex242; 2021-05-07 at 01:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

(from TES)

Vehk is a CN monk. Guaranteed kensei due to muatra.

Ayem is a LG paladin. Oath of peace? I think.

Seht is a LN wizard. I don't think they have clockwork anything though.

Pelinal is a LG conquest paladin.

Ysgramor would be a LG barbarian.

Numidium isn't technically a character but would be fun to create as a gargantuan construct.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    The trick for Buffy: Don't balance her against your average first level character.

Balance her against Angel and Spike, who are both vampires with class levels.

(Angel, the Vampire (Vengeance? Devotion?) Paladin (And Angelus is Oathbreaker Paladin, naturally) Spike, the Vampire Barbarian.)

You might figure Darla is a vampire Bard, Drusilla is a Vampire Diviner, and the Master...can cause Earthquakes. There's only so many classes that give you access to the Earthquake spell, which gives you an idea why the Master is so tough.

Lest anyone forget, the base stats of a vampire look like this:

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    18 (+4) 18 (+4) 18 (+4) 17 (+3) 15 (+2) 18 (+4)

...Buffy better be able to keep pace with that, and even be slightly superior in some ways.
    Thing is, the goal of this exercice, if we go by the Tulok method, is to build on 20 level the version of a character that we can make. With a natural progression. Some character are definitely going to be more OP then others AND while what you say is true, we need to make her start at level one none the less.

I am sure we can give her some training to become the best vampire slayer but I am sure she wont be able to face true vampire at level 1. I suggest she start with zombies. Still undead but less smart.

This is still a D&D world we try to jam Buffy inside of it. Not the other way around. at least that's my opinion as we are making build for players, not GMs. Gms are the one who decide the setting. We are only making build to represent a character to be introduce to any setting if needed.

26. - Top - End - #56

Okay...in the very second episode in Season 1, she has to be able to kill Luke...

Call him...a vampire with a couple Fighter levels. Now, if she has to be able to take a Vampire packing Action Surge and Legendary Actions in her very second episode...well then. This is clearly not a level 1 character, is she?

Until you can reasonably expect her to take Luke, you might say she hasn't been Called yet as a Vampire Slayer.

Season 1 Buffy is something like level 15. Maybe higher.
    Last edited by Angelalex242; 2021-05-07 at 01:06 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Okay...in the very second episode in Season 1, she has to be able to kill Luke...

Call him...a vampire with a couple Fighter levels. Now, if she has to be able to take a Vampire packing Action Surge and Legendary Actions in her very second episode...well then. This is clearly not a level 1 character, is she?

Until you can reasonably expect her to take Luke, you might say she hasn't been Called yet as a Vampire Slayer.
    True but some character are born with godly powers. Hard to represent that at level 1 for builds.

Thats why we have to get some leyway in character building. Make some goal to happens.

FOr exemple, by level 20, what are some goals we should put for Buffy?

Im not 100% familiar with the show but how about this: by level 20, she can kill ANY vampires as easily as flipping her hand?

Another goal for the build... How about that Slayer Axe from the last season? Should she have it?

I suggest that Buffy got suddenly like the equivalent of lvl.15 character level when she became the vampire slayer. But we still have to give her a flavorful build for EVERY levels your campaign start as?

Just pretend that she is still in training until the campaign is at very high level.

EDIT: If Lich existed in Buffy, I would give her the Mage Slayer feat for exemple in her character progression. One of the goal of the build, at least for me, would be to be able to fight any vampires or undead.

EDIT 2: If we are being honest here, any high level cleric would do a better job then buffy when it comes to dealing with undead in a D&D setting because of their class feature and magic repertoire LOL
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-05-07 at 01:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

The Scythe may be considered a legendary level weapon...her equivalent of a Holy Avenger, with similar use restrictions.

Because there's a stake part on the other end, it perhaps may also be considered a vorpal weapon, with the unique ability to use its vorpal property on vampires, legendary actions be damned.

After all, in Buffy's world, you can indeed one shot vampires with a well placed stake. The Scythe (and possibly the enchanted stake Mr. Pointy) should probably replicate the look and feel of the TV show...even if it then makes Vampires stupidly easy to kill, which to her, they should be.

There may even be a special property stating 'Vampires cannot use their legendary actions or legendary resistances against a character bearing this item.'
    Last edited by Angelalex242; 2021-05-07 at 01:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutTrooper View Post
    Not my post, but I wanted to share as I was considering something similar Kaladin Stormblessed from the Stormlight Archive novels by Brandon Sanderson. It's in the 'Tulok The Barbarian' style of character building as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_...din_in_dnd_5e/
    ***slight spoilers for Stormlight in referencing Surgebinder abilities***

For a Windrunner, I’d actually go Divine Soul Sorc (at least 14 levels). Spell selection and playstyle can be focused on being a melee combatant, mainly using Shadow Blade and non-Conc buffs and heals. Quicken as one of your metamagics for same round recovery (Stormlight healing for instance: Cure Wounds as BA).

For the build, I’d prioritize Dex>Con>Cha. Use Mage Armor (if you want, talk with your DM about making it look like Shardplate, RAW the spell doesn’t say whether it’s visible or not, just that it’s “force” - or don’t if you want the armor-less Windrunner). Shield to simulate SylShields (again RP it as actually forming a Shield).

SB and SCAGtrips are your bread and butter in combat, supplemented with Quicken, when needed for two attacks (or as stated, do a Quicken Cure Wounds or Prot From Poison or whatever to simulate Stormlight recovery). RP the SB as your preference of Shardblade or Shardspear, whatever.

Angelic Form - talk to DM about losing the wings if possible, but here’s your Conc-less flight (pre-14 can always cast fly if you’d like)

Unearthly Recovery - just more amazing Stormlight-style recovery.

If you’re really dying for a Spren, multi into Warlock for 3 levels and take Pact of Chain, or go Aasimar and just RP it as your Angelic Guide. (Though linked build didn’t really support this so wasn’t horribly worried about it.)

Spell list would be something like:

Cure Wounds
    Absorb Elements (plate protecting against elements)
    Mage Armor
    Shield
    SB
    Aid (added durability)
    Fly (pre-14 if wanted)
    Haste (if wanted instead of SB, though I prefer SB)
    Deathward (added durability of a Surgebinder)

I’d probably go Extend Spell for pre-long rest castings of DW, MA, and (upcast) Aid, and, if looking like a long battle, Extend SB.

Just my opinion, but I feel the DS (particularly with some light RP refluff) does a much better job of emulating a Windrunner than that linked build.
    Last edited by RSP; 2021-05-07 at 01:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

The Scythe may be considered a legendary level weapon...her equivalent of a Holy Avenger, with similar use restrictions.

Because there's a stake part on the other end, it perhaps may also be considered a vorpal weapon, with the unique ability to use its vorpal property on vampires, legendary actions be damned.

After all, in Buffy's world, you can indeed one shot vampires with a well placed stake. The Scythe (and possibly the enchanted stake Mr. Pointy) should probably replicate the look and feel of the TV show...even if it then makes Vampires stupidly easy to kill, which to her, they should be.

There may even be a special property stating 'Vampires cannot use their legendary actions or legendary resistances against a character bearing this item.'
    I could try one build for Buffy but I dont think you'll like whatever I come with... A "Slayer" by definition get a immense powerboost that cant be explained with character levels.

It might also requiere some flexibility to be honest... She's a normal human but she hunt at night so she must have an equivalent of darkvision... If you want, I can try my hand at doing her but Im not utterly familiar with her so feel free to correct me if or when I do