New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Copycat: D&D builds of popular characters!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    With the Netflix reboot around the corner, I'd like to see a build of He-Man.

A few notes to consider:
    He-Man lore fits 100% with the fluff of a Hexblade Warlock. The Sword of Greyskull (while it does not speak) is sentient enough to be the means of choosing the Champion of Castle Greyskull.
    Blade pact means that he can use 2 handed weapons as his Hexblade weapon.
    However, He-Man certainly seems STR, and nor CHA primary. Especially in the trailer for the new series, we see him catching and throwing a siege engine sized ram.
    Armor? Some make He-Man have some Barbarian levels, for CON based Unarmored Defense, if nothing else. I can see the point in this. However, I would argue that this is unnecessary, since the metal chest piece he wears COULD be considered "armor" by the same logic of Bikini Chainmail.
    It may be necessary to have his transformation be an actual transformation (especially since the new Prince Adam is of very slight build). If not, "Prince Adam" could be a disguise from Mask of Many Faces invocation.
    I don't think it's necessary to have Cringer/Battle Cat be a part of He-Man's build, so BM Ranger levels are not needed. Battle Cat is more of a talking mount than an aid in combat. Perhaps a Sidekick, using TCoE rules.

Given how good the builds here are, I'd like to see what people can come up with.

Bonus points for also building Skeletor!
    An Oath of Glory Paladin would work pretty well. Bull's Strength+Peerless Athlete would result in some pretty impressive lifting power, 1200 pounds at strength 20. 6 levels of Totem Barbarian can double your lifting power again to 2400 pounds. Start as a race with Powerful Build to double it again to 4800 pounds. His battle harness canonically adds to his strength, so if we feel like making it a Belt of Storm Giant Strength and increase his strength to 29, we get a lifting limit of 6960 pounds, enough to lift a humvee.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    An Oath of Glory Paladin would work pretty well. Bull's Strength+Peerless Athlete would result in some pretty impressive lifting power, 1200 pounds at strength 20. 6 levels of Totem Barbarian can double your lifting power again to 2400 pounds. Start as a race with Powerful Build to double it again to 4800 pounds. His battle harness canonically adds to his strength, so if we feel like making it a Belt of Storm Giant Strength and increase his strength to 29, we get a lifting limit of 6960 pounds, enough to lift a humvee.
    Damon_Tor is the best build builder on this thread, I would trust his advices LOL

As for me, I was considering making a Loki build... but I dont actually know how to make a cleric less supportive!

Because yes, I would have make him a Firebolg and given him 17 ranks of Trickery Cleric. With also 3 ranks of Rogue (Assassin) and the Noble background.

But as for the spells, I have no idea what makes a cleric strong! The most damage dealer cleric I made was a Tempest Domain Cleric I think...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Just as a side note, there is a Path of the Juggernault that fit Wreck in Ralph better.

Spoiler: Source:
    Show
    http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/barbarian:juggernaut

If people show interested, I would make a Wreck it Ralph build according to this... Only 6 levels of Barbarian truly needed for "Demolishing Might" and I wonder what I would do for the rest.

=====

If anyone wants me to make a build for them, just say the word! I would be willing to hear some ideas and get some inspiration

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Here’s a wolverine build. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BvOQP0hDZOc&t=3s

I did a whole series for x-men if you check the channel.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

My kids saw this and immediately said taskmaster and black widow (clearly just been to the movies). I on the other hand am still looking for the perfect progression build for ahsoka tano. Or even loki.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
    My kids saw this and immediately said taskmaster and black widow (clearly just been to the movies). I on the other hand am still looking for the perfect progression build for ahsoka tano. Or even loki.
    Ahsoka is a pretty standard martial-focused Force user. No particularly interesting force talents. You could run her as a pure fighter (dex based, Twf, psi-knight) and it would feel authentic enough. A few levels of wizard (bladesinger) could add a few spells to handle anything you feel is missing.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    Here’s a wolverine build. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BvOQP0hDZOc&t=3s

I did a whole series for x-men if you check the channel.
    Zealot is a hard sell for me here, but then I guess this build was mad pre-tashas.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Where can I find Bull's Strength in 5e?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    Enhance Ability, level 2 spell for bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, artificer, and Oath of Glory Paladin.

One of the options is Bull's Strength.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    They put a lot of 3.5 spells into one single spell called Enhance Ability spell.

At lest I can answer that much lol!

I wish I could reply more then that or make a Black Widow build but... RL is being chaotic right now. Barely have the energy to do what needs to be done and working 46 hours per week now. Having a hard time to adjust.

But Black Widow strikes me as a full Rogue build with guns. I have not seeing a lot of her to be honest, didn't catch up with Marvel movies for a long time. I know, shame on me.

But yeah, a level 20 Rogue seem accurate for her. Maybe a few ranks of Monk but not a lot for the AC boost with Wisdom? Maybe a few more if she's a kensei Monk but I don't think she could catch arrows with her barehands either so I think 2 ranks max of Monk.

But she could be a Fighter/Rogue mix I suppose. Would be kinda easy to see this.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    They put a lot of 3.5 spells into one single spell called Enhance Ability spell.

At lest I can answer that much lol!

I wish I could reply more then that or make a Black Widow build but... RL is being chaotic right now. Barely have the energy to do what needs to be done and working 46 hours per week now. Having a hard time to adjust.

But Black Widow strikes me as a full Rogue build with guns. I have not seeing a lot of her to be honest, didn't catch up with Marvel movies for a long time. I know, shame on me.

But yeah, a level 20 Rogue seem accurate for her. Maybe a few ranks of Monk but not a lot for the AC boost with Wisdom? Maybe a few more if she's a kensei Monk but I don't think she could catch arrows with her barehands either so I think 2 ranks max of Monk.

But she could be a Fighter/Rogue mix I suppose. Would be kinda easy to see this.
    I wouldn't argue with someone who wanted to put some Monk or make Black Widow completely a Monk. Her electric attack is Shocking Strike, she is un-armored, she is extremely agile.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah, Black Widow needs monk ranks, and a good amount of them. Unarmed combat is one of her signatures. But she also needs rogue ranks for social expertise and firearm synergy. You'll wind up with a hybrid fighting style where you typically do 1 pistol attack (activating your sneak attack bonus) plus one unarmed attack, then either flurry of blows or any cunning action. Open Palm makes the most sense as her monk subclass for the takedown effect she does with her leg throws. Maybe Assassin as her rogue subclass for the disguise kit shenanigans.

Her stunning attacks are more likely a magic item than a class ability, and not a critical enough part of her loadout to be worth investing in spellcasting ranks for a cantrip that doesn't synergize with her combat tactics. She doesn't use them in every movie, but she always does the acrobatic unarmed combat.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Damon-Tor: I would say Swashbuckler would fit her better then Assassin. Or simply Thief.

I guess a Monk (Kensei) 14 // Rogue (Swashbuckler) 6 would fit her. No need to give her the taser gloves or whatever they were. Variant Human to get Sharpshooter feat or Gunner if your GM allows gun. Kinda easy build to make, right?
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-07-24 at 03:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Damon-Tor: I would say Swashbuckler would fit her better then Assassin. Or simply Thief.

I guess a Monk (Kensei) 14 // Rogue (Swashbuckler) 6 would fit her. No need to give her the taser gloves or whatever they were. Variant Human to get Sharpshooter feat or Gunner if your GM allows gun. Kinda easy build to make, right?
    Yeah it's pretty straightforward. Assassin saves a feat on Actor and gets us Disguise Kit proficiency, both of which are important for her non-combat skills. She infiltrated various organizations/facilities under false identities in over half of her films (Iron Man 2, Avengers 1, Captain America 2, and Black Widow off the top of my head) and at least twice by pretending to be a different specific individual. It's kind of her core ability, the thing that only she can do in the Avengers that nobody else can match. So it's got to be represented someplace in her build.

I feel like the added mobility of Thief and Swashbuckler as kind of redundant with our monk levels. Swashbucklers sneak attack flexibility makes sense for melee, but our sneak-attack-viable weapon is the pistol, which is ranged. Thief's bonus action item interaction could be useful, but I'm not sure how often we see her do stuff like drop caltrops in the movies, so I'm not sure what we're emulating.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Bonus points for also building Skeletor!
    I haven't seen the newest series yet, but I was a big fan of the original growing up so I've thrown together what I can remember. I'm sure he should have more spells available, however these are just the ones I remember seeing him perform....

Skeletor
    Neutral Evil Variant Human
    Level 19 Sorcerer (Shadow Magic Variant)

Skeletor is a prodigiously powerful Sorcerer, harnessing dark and evil magic to fulfil his endless ambitions. Supreme power - which he believes he will achieve by finally capturing Castle Greyskull and twisting it towards his own ends - eludes him, but it is surely only a matter of time before he overcomes his arch-nemesis He-Man and takes the Sword of Power for himself!

Stats:
    STR:16 DEX:16 CON:16 INT:18: WIS:13 CHA:20
    Feats: Telekinetic, Telepathic, Spell-Sniper, Mounted Combatant, Dual-Wielder

Saving Throws: CON, INT, CHA

Skill Proficiencies: Animal handling, Arcana, Intimidate, Deception, History, Nature, Religion

Sorcery Points: 19
    Metamagic known: All of them!

Skeletor is physically imposing, able to hold his own against the Most Powerful Man in the Universe even if he is rarely able to overcome by brute force alone. His true strength, however, lies in his phenomenal mental powers. As well as knowing devastating spells from a variety of disciplines, Skeletor is a terrifying overlord whose sheer force of personality can quell dissent and command others to do his bidding.
    His only real weakness is his ego - such is his fervent self belief in his abilities and inevitable victory, he always manages to over-extend his reach or overlook the strengths of his enemies, allowing them to surprise him and force his retreat.

Resistances: Non-magical slashing, bludgeoning and piercing damage
    Immunities: Blinded, Charmed, Frightened, Poisoned, Stunned, Exhausted
    Vulnerabilities: Acid

Class Abilities: Sorcerous Spellcasting, Font of Magic, Magical Guidance
    Subclass Abilities: Eyes of the Dark, Strength of the Grave, Hound of Ill Omen (Panthor), Shadow Walk, Umbral Form

Equipment
    The Havoc Staff
    Made of unknown materials and topped with a granite-carved ram skull, the Havoc Staff is an artefact of immense power. It is a +3 Quarterstaff, typically wielded one-handed, with the following special effects:
    - Havoc Blasts
    While wielding the Havoc Staff, Skeletor can cast Eldritch Blast as a Bonus action.
    - Staff of Power
    While holding this staff, Skeletor gains a bonus +3 to spell attack rolls and to the saving throw DCs of all of his spells.
    - Signature Weapon
    The Havoc staff acts as a conduit for destructive magical forces. Skeletor can channel his magical effects through his staff, which means that he can ignore any and all verbal, somatic and material component requirements when casting spells even if he is holding something in his off-hand (Usually his Shadow Blade).
    - Source of Magic
    Once per day, Skeletor may invoke the power of the Havoc Staff as an Action to refresh all of his Sorcery Points.

Legendary Actions
    Supreme Magical Powers - Skeletor can cast any of the following spells as a free action: Eldritch Blast, Word of Recall, Shadow Blade, Sending, Lightning Bolt, Counterspell. (2 Actions)

Legendary Resistance (x3 per day)

Cantrips Known: (Minor Illusion, Eldritch Blast, Ray of Frost, Mage Hand)

Spells Known: Charm Person, Magic Missile, Shadow Blade, Spike Growth, Lightning Bolt, Counterspell, Charm Monster, Major Image, Plant Growth, Sending, Scrying, Arcane Gate, Word of Recall, Disintegrate, Telepathy, Gate (Among others)
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

16. - Top - End - #106

Funny that this thread should have popped back up recently, I was just going back to my Essence of MCU in D&D Characters project from a year and a half ago. But now with Foundry VTT set up to expedite the character statting-up process.

In this project, I'm building with the following guidelines:
    • No Homebrew or UA (beyond Custom Backgrounds)
    • can assume characters rolled ridiculously well on starting Ability Scores
    • can give pretty much any magic items from the book
    • working on a range of Level 14 to (Level 20 with two Epic Boons)

So far today I've re-done Iron Man:

Tony Stark
    Mark of Making Human; Armorer Artificer 18
    Str 13 (21 with Belt); Dex 14; Con 14; Int 20; Wis 10; Cha 18
    Saves: Con +8; Int +11
    Skills: Arcana +11+1d4; History +11; Investigation +11; Nature +17; Performance +10
    Tools: Smith's Tools, Thieves' Tools, Tinker's Tools, Glassblower's Tools, Alchemist's Supplies, Jeweler's Tools (all with Expertise!)
    ASI/Feats: Prodigy; Int +2; Heavy Armor Master; War Caster
    Infusions: Lightning Launcher +2; Plate Armor +2; (*)Helm of Awareness; (*)Belt of Hill Giant Strength; (*)Gem of Seeing; (*)Periapt of Wound Closure; (*)Wand Sheath; (*)Winged Boots
    Other Equipment: Shield; Cap of Water Breathing; Goggles of Night; Orb of Time; various Sending Stones; Ring of Swimming; (*)Wand of Fireballs
    Spellcasting
    Cantrips: fire bolt, mending, message, resistance, shocking grasp
    1. (4/long rest) absorb elements, alarm, detect magic, expeditious retreat, identify, magic missile, thunderwave
    2. (3/long rest) heat metal, (1/day, no Concentration) magic weapon, mirror image, shatter
    3. (3/long rest) conjure barrage, dispel magic, elemental weapon, fly, hypnotic pattern, lightning bolt, tiny servant
    4. (3/long rest) arcane eye, fabricate, fire shield, greater invisibility
    5. (1/long rest) passwall, skill empowerment, wall of force

(I decided to save 22 INT via Tome of Clear Thought to be exclusive to Dr. Strange and Reed Richards.)
    Last edited by Draz74; 2021-07-27 at 12:05 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

I've been rewatching Avatar: the Last Airbender recently, and I'd forgotten how much I love Suki. This is in her honour.

Suki of the Kyoshi Warriors

Spoiler
    Show

Race: Variant Human (+1 Dexterity/+1 Constitution)

Starting stats (Point Buy): Str 10, Dex 16*, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 10
    *Dexterity is 16 because of the Athlete feat, thanks to the Variant Human starting feat

Explanation: Suki's not especially strong, but she's agile as hell, and her fighting style reflects that. She's quick and relatively physically sturdy. I'd peg her as slightly smarter and wiser than the average bear, though she's not really all that charismatic.

Background: Far Traveller
    Suki's from Kyoshi Island, which is geographically and culturally distinct from not only the greater Earth Kingdom, but the rest of the known world. The Earth Kingdoms are based fairly heavily off of Ancient China, while Kyoshi draws heavily from Japanese traditions (yes, I know that this isn't quite accurate and the creators took pains to not link any culture too closely to any IRL culture, but I'm making a point here). Walking around in full kit, she definitely draws the eye, for good or bad, which fits perfectly with the feature All Eyes On You.

Perception fits with the warrior lifestyle, and their fighting style has been called out as using their opponent's strengths against them, which is represented by Insight.

I'd probably switch out the Instrument proficiency for a disguise kit, though, to help represent their warrior makeup (as it's been shown in-universe that people have difficulty not only telling the warriors apart, but they have issues recognizing them without it).

Final build: Rogue (Inquisitive) 6/ Fighter (Battlemaster) 8

This was the hardest part, not going to lie. Rogue and Fighter were obvious choices, but I did briefly entertain monk, as part of the entire Kyoshi getup is explicitly armoured. But monk is another great choice, if you wanted to go that direction.

For Rogue, I had five main choices. Assassin, Inquisitive, Scout, Swashbuckler and Thief. She's not supernatural or magical at all (despite being an utter badass), so Phantom, Soulblade and AT were right out.

The Kyoshi Warriors aren't Assassins, and the class abilities don't fit at all either, so that can get tossed right out. Scout is interesting, because the mobility does fit, but she's never been shown to have any particular skill in navigation, trailblazing or seemed particularly knowledgeable about nature, so that's out as well given how huge a part of the subclass it is.

Which leaves us with the big three. Inquisitive, Swashbuckler and Thief. Swashbuckler's class abilities do fit, and they provide some solid bonuses. Inquisitive's Insightful Fighting really fist the ethos of the Warriors, but she's shown no particular ability to ferret out liars. Thief's Second Story Work ability is perfect for her, and Fast Hands is just generally useful. I would say that we're going Thief, except for one thing. But we'll get to that later. We're going Inquisitive.

Her second class will be fighter. Specifically, we're down to either Battlemaster or Samurai (Okay, Purple Dragon Knight is also technically an option, but let's be serious here). Personally, I like Battlemaster more for her, though Samurai is a valid option.

I chose to not make her a 20th level character because while she's a scary badass, the world of Avatar is full of those, and she doesn't rank in the top ten (even ignoring OP Avatars).

Skills: So besides Perception and Insight, we nab Rogue at first level to get that Dexterity save and all the skills. We don't care about Heavy Armor from Fighter, so we don't look back. Acrobatics and Athletics are both important skills to her character, so we nab both of those without hesitation. Let's go with Persuasion and Stealth, because she's shown to be able to convince Sokka to stop being a sexist pig. Since we have Rogue 6, we get 4 Skill Expertises; Acrobatics and Athletics are both perfectly on brand (the latter in particular makes up for her average Strength score when it comes to Shoves and Grapples), and the second two are more to taste. Let's hit Insight (to help with her fighting style) and Perception.

Fighting Style: This is actually up to you. Defense is an easy choice, as it applies to every build. But in the series and beyond, we see her with two main weapon choices: a pair of tessen (war fans) or a katana and shield. So this opens up TWF, Interception and Dueling as valid styles. You could even grab Superior Technique, if you felt so inclined. Another major option would be Unarmed Fighting, given the flavour of the world.

Maneuvers: We get five in total, so we've got to think carefully. I'd choose the following: Disarming Strike, Goading Attack, Quick Toss, Riposte and Trip Attack. Riposte is especially useful, as it's a reliable way to get a bit of bonus damage on your off-turn Sneak Attacks (on your Insightful Fighting target, so you can solo them).

Feat(s): We grab the Athlete feat and don't look back (as the VHuman feat). It gets us everything that we want from the Thief's Second Story Work, gives us that sick kip up, and a partial ASI. We'll use up another ASI for the Mobile feat. It fits her.

Final Stats: Rogue 6/Fighter 8 gives us 4 ASIs. Let's toss two of those into Dexterity to max it out, one more into Constitution, and sacrifice the last on the great altar of Mobile.

Closing Thoughts: The worst part of this build is that it's got way so many things demanding its Bonus Action. Between Insightful Fighting, Two Weapon Fighting and Cunning Action, you're going to be constantly deciding what to sacrifice every round.

The most important part of the build is to reflavour daggers as the tessen. In the series, the Kyoshi Warriors are shown to be more than proficient throwing them, and with Sneak Attack you're doing more than enough damage to justify

18. - Top - End - #108

When I had my original MCU thread in early 2020, the people demanded War Machine next ... here I've finally built him.

James Rhodes
    Variant Human; Battle Master Fighter 4 / Armorer Artificer 10 / Ranger 1
    Str 16; Dex 13; Con 16; Int 18; Wis 15; Cha 14
    Saves: Str +8; Con +8; Wis +7
    Skills: Athletics +8; History +14; Intimidation +7; Perception +7; Stealth +6 (disadvantage most of the time); Survival +7
    Tools: Smith's Tools, Thieves' Tools, Tinker's Tools, Glassblower's Tools, Air Vehicles (all with Expertise!)
    ASIs/Feats: Gunner; Tough; Fighting Initiate; Resilient (Wisdom)
    Fighting Styles: Archery, Defense; Variant Features: Favored Foe, Deft Explorer: Canny; Maneuvers: Bait and Switch; Maneuvering Attack; Tactical Assessment
    Infusions: Thunder Gauntlets +2; (*)Repeating Shot Laser Rifle; (*)Plate Armor of Magical Strength; Shield +2; Goggles of Night; (*)Winged Boots
    Other Equipment: various Sending Stones; (*)Wand Sheath; (*)Wand of Fireballs
    Spellcasting
    Cantrips: message, shocking grasp, thunderclap
    1. (4/long rest) absorb elements, detect magic, expeditious retreat, faerie fire, magic missile, sanctuary, thunderwave
    2. (3/long rest) aid, heat metal, mirror image, shatter, skywrite
    3. (2/long rest) elemental weapon, hypnotic pattern, lightning bolt
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Funny that this thread should have popped back up recently, I was just going back to my Essence of MCU in D&D Characters project from a year and a half ago. But now with Foundry VTT set up to expedite the character statting-up process.

In this project, I'm building with the following guidelines:
    • No Homebrew or UA (beyond Custom Backgrounds)
    • can assume characters rolled ridiculously well on starting Ability Scores
    • can give pretty much any magic items from the book
    • working on a range of Level 14 to (Level 20 with two Epic Boons)

So far today I've re-done Iron Man:

*snip*
    Not going to lie, slightly disappointed that Tony Stark's background isn't "Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist." 7.8/10

20. - Top - End - #110

I was convinced last year that the best way to handle Hulk/Bruce Banner, in D&D 5e with no homebrew, was to give him a few levels of Sorcerer, and say that Bruce is the version of himself that he puts forward while he has Extended Alter Self cast. The true genius of this mechanic is that, if he gets hit too hard (breaks Concentration), he will involuntarily Hulk Out.

That in mind, I wanted to go with the old UA Giant Soul Sorcerer, but I had set a "no UA" rule for myself this time around. So ... I went Storm Sorcerer, since it has the fewest and most ignorable low-level features.

Much more than Tony, this build required some tweaking in the wake of Tasha's.

EDIT: dropping Metamagic Adept in favor of Crusher ...

Bruce Banner
    Half-Orc; Zealot Barbarian 16 / Storm Sorcerer 4
    Str 20 (29 with Belt); Dex 16; Con 20; Int 18; Wis 12; Cha 13
    Saves: Str +15; Con +11
    Skills: Arcana +10; Athletics +21; Intimidation +7; Investigation +10; Medicine +7; Nature +10; Perception +7; Survival +7
    Tools: Tinker's Tools
    ASIs/Feats: Fighting Initiate: Unarmed Fighting Style; Skill Expert; Crusher; Orcish Fury; Tavern Brawler
    Metamagic Options: Empowered Spell; Extended Spell
    Equipment: (*)Belt of Storm Giant Strength; (*)Ring of Jumping
    Spellcasting
    Cantrips: blade ward, friends, gust, mold earth, true strike
    1. (4/long rest) absorb elements, earth tremor, expeditious retreat, shield
    2. (3/long rest) alter self
    Last edited by Draz74; 2021-07-28 at 09:07 AM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I haven't seen the newest series yet, but I was a big fan of the original growing up so I've thrown together what I can remember. I'm sure he should have more spells available, however these are just the ones I remember seeing him perform....
    I honestly felt Skeletor made more sense as a Warlock with ritual casting and a whole bunch of ways to hold onto spells (like a ring of spell storing and a rod of the pack keeper).
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I being researching Kinpin build... and realized Tulok build is more accurate then what I gave it credit for. Good job Tulok!

Also, dont watch the new show of He-Man. It's bad and not made around He-Man but around She-Ra, or so I heard. The author is getting a lot of heat for lying to his fans who wanted He-Man to be the start of the show once again.

23. - Top - End - #113

Yeah it's pretty straightforward. Assassin saves a feat on Actor and gets us Disguise Kit proficiency, both of which are important for her non-combat skills. She infiltrated various organizations/facilities under false identities in over half of her films (Iron Man 2, Avengers 1, Captain America 2, and Black Widow off the top of my head) and at least twice by pretending to be a different specific individual. It's kind of her core ability, the thing that only she can do in the Avengers that nobody else can match. So it's got to be represented someplace in her build.
    Indeed, last year what I concluded for Black Widow was Assassin Rogue 9 / Open Hand Monk 5. I made myself feel better about the build with a HOUSERULE that she could Sneak Attack with Unarmed Strikes, though, which is cheating according to my rules. I may stick to the same build even without the Houserule, though.

Feats: Athlete, Gunner, Prodigy?, Grappler?

Other thoughts from last year:

Captain America: I'm debating 2 levels of Artificer just to get Returning Weapon Infusion on whatever thrown weapon represents his shield. If I go with that, with my intended Level 16 build, I could still squeeze in 11 levels of Battle Master and 3 levels of Mastermind. But he'll never use some of his Artificer features, obviously ...
    EDIT: Leaning towards defaulting back to what I did last year: Magic Initiate feat, picking up Magic Stone to represent throwing his shield and having it return. Guidance and Longstrider as the other spells he selects. Class levels just Battle Master Fighter 12 / Mastermind Rogue 4.

Thor: I was pretty happy with my Battle Master 5 / Tempest Cleric 9 / Storm Sorcerer 6 build.

Hawkeye: I went Monk 2 / Gloom Stalker 4 / Arcane Archer 8. With Half-Elf + Elven Accuracy. No plans to change, but I haven't thought much about him yet.

Captain Marvel: I went classic Sorcadin (Devotion Paladin 6 / Divine Soul 14) for her, plus two Epic Boons. I want to fit in a level or two of Warlock (patron = Space Stone), but I don't want to give up either +5 to all saving throws or perma-flight.
    EDIT: Leaning towards giving up Paladin 6 in favor of Hexblade 1. Normally I'm morally opposed to Hexblade dips, but basing her attacks on Charisma seems very appropriate, and the flavor kind of works for Space Stone if you squint your eyes the right way. Boon of Magic Resistance can make it so her saving throws are still excellent against most things.

Ant-Man: I came up with a really weird multiclass amalgamation: Armorer Artificer 5 / Rune Knight 3 / Shepherd Druid 5 / Rogue 1. Very open to re-thinking this one.

Dr. Strange: Is it just me, or is this obviously just Chronurgy Wizard 20? I was also planning on one Epic Boon.

Scarlet Witch: I think this is pretty clearly a Wild Magic Sorcerer, maybe with two or three levels in Warlock (patron = Mind Stone). Not sure what level to make her though. Any votes, given the scale I'm using for other heroes?
    Last edited by Draz74; 2021-07-28 at 10:33 AM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Let's do another Avatar character for the heck of it.

Sokka of the Southern Water Tribe

Spoiler
    Show

Race: Default Human

Starting stats (Point Buy): Str 15, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 13

Explanation: Sokka's greatest asset is his mind, not his body. He's fit, and an able hunter, but his brain is far more dangerous than his sword. He's the everyman, the Bard of Team Avatar (except, you know, without any bard levels).

Background: Water Tribe (Uthgardt Tribe Member)

Skills fit, theme fits. Instead of a totemic totem or tattoos marking his loyalty, he's got his war paint instead. The rest of the feature (combined with Survival) means that we can get away without Ranger levels, which is a huge bonus. He knows how to hunt in the Antarctic, but toss him into the more temperate environment of the rest of the world, and he's a little clueless.

Switch out the instrument/artisan's tools for proficiency with vehicles (water) and you've got the sailing aspect covered as well. Boom, easy.

Final build: Artificer 2/Rogue (Mastermind) 3/Fighter (Battlemaster) 10

Okay, hear me out. I'm breaking my own rules here by giving Sokka caster levels, but there's no boomerang in 5E, so the Returning Weapon infusion is the only true way to replicate it. If Boomerang wasn't so essential to Sokka, we could have dropped those levels. Alas, one cannot simply separate Sokka from Boomerang.

Rogue levels are easy to justify - he's a smart guy, and he's got mad skills. The ranged BA Help fits Sokka to a T, and though he isn't manipulative (that we've seen)... Wang Fire. Somehow This Worked. This class feature is my best explanation, being able to pass yourself off as a member of a specific nation flawlessly.

I'm not going to lie, the bulk of his levels was the hardest part to figure out. I was torn between three options; Ranger, Fighter and Monk. None of the Ranger subclasses truly fit him, and the only monk that did was Drunken Master. Which leaves me with Fighter. And as much as I hate to say it... Champion fits. But that would be boring. Which, unfortunately, means that we're going with Battlemaster (again). As a bonus, that gets us a free artisan's tool, like calligrapher's or painter's tools (though judging by the finale, he didn't pick painter's tools).

Again, Sokka is cool and all, but he's not a force of nature like, say, Katara or Zuko is. He doesn't get 20 PC levels, but that's fine, he doesn't need it.

Skills: So our background gives us Athletics and Survival. Both are perfect for him, and we can be happy there. We're taking the Artificer levels to start to nab us those Con/Int saves, and it lets us nab his mad detective skills with Investigate. None of the other skills really fit, however. Let's nab History and blame it on his curiosity. When he grabs his first Rogue level, we get another skill. How's Acrobatics sound?

Rogue also gets us a pair of Expertise, which we'll assign to Athletics and Investigation.

Spells: So we're looking for unobtrusive spells that could easily be explained away by random items. Cantrips like guidance, resistance or light are all prime picks. As for spells, grabbing things like false life, grease, jump, longstrider or snare can be explained away either by items or by demonstrated feats throughout the series.

Infusions: Okay, this is quick and dirty. Returning Weapon is a must, and is the only non-negotiable item on this list. Mind Sharpener could be useful to maintain concentration on one of your "spells" in order to maintain the fiction that they're not magic, Armor of Magical Strength is easily explainable away, Enhanced Weapon is a non-item way to represent Space Sword's superior properties, and Enhanced Defense is a good, general buff that's effectively invisible.

Fighting Style: So we get one style, and as much as I'd like to nab Thrown to enhance Boomerang, I've got to grab Dueling for Space Sword. Under Piandao is the first time that he really gets a formal education in swordplay, so I'm going with that. It also applies to his club from the earlier seasons, so I'd count it as a win.

Maneuvers: We get seven in total, so we've got a bit of room to get creative. I'd choose the following: Distracting Strike, Goading Attack, Lunging Attack, Parry, Precision Attack, Sweeping Attack and Tactical Assessment.

Feat(s): We can fit in a pair of feats, and so we're going to grab two of the most powerful feats that actually somewhat fits Sokka. Firstly, we grab Lucky. "Better lucky than good" describes Sokka (at least at the start), and over time it can develop into his crazy plans actually managing to succeed despite all odds. We also grab Sharpshooter to help transform boomerang into a weapon that's actually useful (as we're refluffing a light hammer).

Final Stats: Artificer 2/Rogue 3/Fighter 10 gives us 3 ASIs. Let's toss the first in Strength and Charisma to even both of those out, and sacrifice the other two for feats. This does leaves us with only a 16 in our main attacking stat, but Battlemaster and Artificer help out with that.

Closing Thoughts: Sokka wasn't nearly as easy as Suki to fit into 5E. You're going to have to refluff the Light Hammer as boomerang (which isn't hard), but beyond that, he's got Medium Armor (which I feel fits his combat armor that he's shown wearing) and full weapon proficiencies. The Rogue's SA doesn't get up to much, but it's a welcome damage boost when he can grab it, even if it's only at 2d6. Cunning Action helps with mobility, which is a huge plus for any melee character.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Let's do another Avatar character for the heck of it.

Sokka of the Southern Water Tribe
    *snip*
    and the only monk that did was Drunken Master. Which leaves me with Fighter. *snip*
    Why'd you nix the Drunken Master option?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

I being researching Kinpin build... and realized Tulok build is more accurate then what I gave it credit for. Good job Tulok!

Also, dont watch the new show of He-Man. It's bad and not made around He-Man but around She-Ra, or so I heard. The author is getting a lot of heat for lying to his fans who wanted He-Man to be the start of the show once again.
    The Masters of the Universe: Revelation cartoon is a great show. And it is not made around She-Ra at all, She-Ra isn't even mentioned.

Yes He-Man isn't the star, but he is an important character. There's a reason why the show is called "Masters of the Universe" and not "He-Man".

Whoever made the advertisement should have been open about what the show was about, but it isn't the writing team's fault.

Also that has no impact on the other new He-Man show, who has He-Man as the star.

In any case, Masters of the Universe: Revelation is definitively worth a watch. It isn't a perfect show, but it's a good exploration of the concepts it wanted to address.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2021-07-28 at 10:20 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone want to take a shot at the main characters from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series? I've been delving deep into those while I've been spending my pandemic time at home more (when better to re-start and finish an epic series that is tens of thousands of pages long).
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Why'd you nix the Drunken Master option?
    Few reasons, actually.
    • The base monk abilities not only don't fit, but don't really add much that the rogue and artificer levels don't. He's never been shown to have any sort of unarmed proficiency, and the movement relevant ki-fueled abilities are covered by Cunning Action. Flurry of Blows doesn't really fit, imo. The fluff for Drunken Master fits a lot better than the class abilities themselves.
    • Tipsy Sway did unfortunately fit, though. It was especially hard to sacrifice Redirect Attack, but with how I didn't really like the rest of the monk abilities, Lucky had to replace that, turning hits into misses instead of straight up redirection.
    • Sokka's battle armor. It's iconic, and if the majority of his levels are monk, then a lot of his coolest tricks gets shut down when he dons it, and for a proud warrior, that's just bad news.
    • One of the biggest draws, however, was pure stats. Since I could get around Ranger, I could drop Wisdom. But not if I kept Monk. His abilities are already on the low side just because of how everyman he is (in addition to needing feats instead of ASIs), so if I could drop something, it'd be Wisdom. He's also not that wise of a character in the series, either - charming and intelligent, absolutely. But wise? Not so much.

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Few reasons, actually.
    • The base monk abilities not only don't fit, but don't really add much that the rogue and artificer levels don't. He's never been shown to have any sort of unarmed proficiency, and the movement relevant ki-fueled abilities are covered by Cunning Action. Flurry of Blows doesn't really fit, imo. The fluff for Drunken Master fits a lot better than the class abilities themselves.
    • Tipsy Sway did unfortunately fit, though. It was especially hard to sacrifice Redirect Attack, but with how I didn't really like the rest of the monk abilities, Lucky had to replace that, turning hits into misses instead of straight up redirection.
    • Sokka's battle armor. It's iconic, and if the majority of his levels are monk, then a lot of his coolest tricks gets shut down when he dons it, and for a proud warrior, that's just bad news.
    • One of the biggest draws, however, was pure stats. Since I could get around Ranger, I could drop Wisdom. But not if I kept Monk. His abilities are already on the low side just because of how everyman he is (in addition to needing feats instead of ASIs), so if I could drop something, it'd be Wisdom. He's also not that wise of a character in the series, either - charming and intelligent, absolutely. But wise? Not so much.
    Fair all around.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Rand Al'Thor
    Spoiler
    Show

I figured that I would give this is a shot since I asked for it and I'm reading the books at the moment.

Level 16 Variant Human Bladesinger Wizard

Str: 8, Dex: 20, Con: 12, Int: 20, Wis: -1, Cha: 12

AC: 18
    AC with Bladesong: 23

Trained in Rapier with bladesinger
    Folk Hero Background, seemed like the best that I could get.
    Skills: Animal Handling, Arcana, History, Intimidation, Performance, Survival
    ASIs/Feats: Defensive Duelist, Int Boosts, Dex Boosts
    Items:
    Flame Tongue Rapier for his flaming sword, Ring of Spell Storing, Rod of Rulership, +1 Studded Leather

Spells:
    Cantrips: Booming Blade, GFB, Friends, Control Flames, Mage Hand
    Spells Prepared:
    1: Charm Person, Detect Magic, Shield, Unseen Servant
    2: Crown of Madness, Hold Person, Levitate, Misty Step, Shadow Blade
    3: Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Fireball, Haste, Tiny Hut
    4: Dimension Door, Ice Storm, Wall of Fire
    5: Cone of Cold, Hold Monster
    6: Chain Lightning, Disintegrate, Investure in Flame
    7: Dream of the Blue Vale, Teleport
    8: Mind Blank

Disintegrate is the closest I can get to balefire. Otherwise it's fireballs and lightning that he uses. Hold person, Hold Monster, and Levitate are the air weaves. Then he needs lots and lots of teleport options for travelling. Dream of the Blue Vale is to get into the dream world. Friends and the charm spells are for his Ta'veren affects.

Matrim
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 10 Variant Human Battlemaster Fighter, Custom Background using Folk Hero Features and getting a Dice Set proficiency
    Str: 20, Dex: 12, Con: 12, Int: 11, Wis: 10, Cha: 12
    Skills: Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Performance, Persuasion
    Feats/ASI: Lucky, +4 Str, Polearm Mastery
    Great Weapon Fighting Style

Battlemaster Maneuvers:
    Evasive Footwork, Commander's Strike, Precision Attack, Tactical Assessment, Disarming Attack, Lunging Attack

Magic Items:
    Horn of Valhalla (Iron), Ring of Spell Turning fluffed to be an amulet, Barrier Tattoo for protection without armor, Glaive +3, Luckstone

Perrin Goldeneyes
    Spoiler
    Show

Variant Human Level 10 Beastmaster Ranger
    Str: 20, Dex 14, Con 14, Int: 8, Wis: 12, Cha: 10
    Defensive Fighting Style
    AC: 19
    Skills: Athletics (expertise), Insight, Investigation, Nature, Perception (expertise), Persuasion, Survival
    ASI/Feats: Crusher +1 Str, +2 Str, Skill Expert (+1 str, Insight, expertise athletics)
    Beast of Land Animal Companion, looks like a Wolf
    Equipment: Amulet of the Planes (to travel to Wolf Dreams), Breastplate +1, Ring of Animal Influence, Ring of Protection, Eyes of the Eagle
    Spells:
    1: Beast Bond, Hunter's Mark, Longstrider, Speak with Animals
    2: Beast Sense, Darkvision (cast to be able to see like a wolf)
    3: Fear, Speak with Plants

Last edited by nickl_2000; 2021-07-28 at 01:38 PM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer