New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Copycat: D&D builds of popular characters!

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Anyone want to take a shot at the main characters from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series? I've been delving deep into those while I've been spending my pandemic time at home more (when better to re-start and finish an epic series that is tens of thousands of pages long).
    -Spoiler alert for WoT-

Rand is going to be Sorc, possibly mixed with BM, depending whether you want to emphasize his martial abilities. I’d go with Divine Soul for his subclass.

Ultimately, he’s probably something like a 20 Divine Soul, with at least 11 levels of BM as well, if you want to show his eventual power and his standing as a blademaster.

If I were trying to play a Rand character, I’d just go with a melee Sorc DS, and pick appropriate spells to represent whichever period of time in the books I wanted to play (Shadow Blade vs Fireball to show his earlier days in book 2, before he learns how to channel properly. More direct damage spells for when he becomes what he considers “a weapon” himself.)

Perrin is probably just a Champion fighter.

Matt is a Rogue (Thief) 13 (Fast Hands and UMD but not Blindsense), probably with some BM Fighter thrown in. To make SA work with his Asherandai (?), would probably need to make it the Double Scimitar with the feat for Finesse.
    Last edited by RSP; 2021-07-28 at 01:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rsp29a View Post
    -Spoiler alert for WoT-

Rand is going to be Sorc, possibly mixed with BM, depending whether you want to emphasize his martial abilities. I’d go with Divine Soul for his subclass.

Ultimately, he’s probably something like a 20 Divine Soul, with at least 11 levels of BM as well, if you want to show his eventual power and his standing as a blademaster.

If I were trying to play a Rand character, I’d just go with a melee Sorc DS, and pick appropriate spells to represent whichever period of time in the books I wanted to play (Shadow Blade vs Fireball to show his earlier days in book 2, before he learns how to channel properly. More direct damage spells for when he becomes what he considers “a weapon” himself.)

Perrin is probably just a Champion fighter.

Matt is a Rogue (Thief) 13 (Fast Hands and UMD but not Blindsense), probably with some BM Fighter thrown in. To make SA work with his Asherandai (?), would probably need to make it the Double Scimitar with the feat for Finesse.
    I took a shot at it myself. Rand as a level 16 Bladesinger Wizard, Mat as a level 10 BM Fighter with the lucky feat and Polearm Mastery, and Perrin as a strength based level 10 Beastmaster Ranger.

I played the Asherandai as a Glaive

Since they are heroes in a book I filled in some abilities with magic items. Mine aren't perfect though.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    I took a shot at it myself. Rand as a level 16 Bladesinger Wizard, Mat as a level 10 BM Fighter with the lucky feat and Polearm Mastery, and Perrin as a strength based level 10 Beastmaster Ranger.

I played the Asherandai as a Glaive

Since they are heroes in a book I filled in some abilities with magic items. Mine aren't perfect though.
    Yeah, it’s obviously tough to get it exact. Just because of who he is, I find any caster other than a Sorc to miss the mark for Rand (I’d be okay with Wizard or Bard for other channelers). To me, that’s such a big part of his character, it’s tough to put it aside, though, obviously, other builds can cover different aspects of his character too.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ralanr View Post
    I honestly felt Skeletor made more sense as a Warlock with ritual casting and a whole bunch of ways to hold onto spells (like a ring of spell storing and a rod of the pack keeper).
    I originally thought so too, but in the wiki's and things that I quickly looked through he is very definitely referred to as a Sorcerer, rather than a Wizard or other name, so I tried to stay true to that. Similarly, Skeletor is pure ego - the idea of him stealing power and taking it for himself is likely, but a traditional pact where he borrows it and owes allegiance to something else seems remote.

He could definitely be a Hexblade mechanically though; his Havoc Staff just being an amalgamation of his Pact Weapon and the Lifedrinker/Thirsting Blade/Ultimate Pact Weapon Invocations, and everything else a variation on Eldritch Blast and the associated Invocations.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I originally thought so too, but in the wiki's and things that I quickly looked through he is very definitely referred to as a Sorcerer, rather than a Wizard or other name, so I tried to stay true to that. Similarly, Skeletor is pure ego - the idea of him stealing power and taking it for himself is likely, but a traditional pact where he borrows it and owes allegiance to something else seems remote.

He could definitely be a Hexblade mechanically though; his Havoc Staff just being an amalgamation of his Pact Weapon and the Lifedrinker/Thirsting Blade/Ultimate Pact Weapon Invocations, and everything else a variation on Eldritch Blast and the associated Invocations.
    My Skeletor was Warlock 2 (I think I went GOO for Hordak)/LoreBard5. He definitely used Eldritch Blast and Cutting Words.
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2021-07-28 at 09:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

That's the best I could come out with with Black Widow. I focused on reflecting her fighting style and the fact shes a skill monkey:

Spoiler: Black Widow:
    Show
    Black Widow :

GOALS FOR THE BUILD:
    1) Skill Monkey: You are very skillful in everything you touch
    2) Infiltrator: You need to be able to get the answers you need throught deception and survive once you got them

Race : Variant Human
    Stats gained : (+1 Dex, + 1 Wis)
    Feat gained : Sharpshooter or Gunner if your gm allows guns
    Skill Gained : Survival

Background : City Watch (Athletics and Insight)

Stats (total at level 1):

Strenght 8, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14

LEVEL 1 : Rogue (lvl1)
    Save Proficiencies : Dexterity, Intelligence
    Skill gained : Deception, Investigation, Persuasion, Stealth
    Expertise (Deception, Athletics)
    Sneak Attack (+1d6)
    Thieves Can’t

LEVEL 2 : Monk (lvl1)
    Unarmored Defense
    Martial Arts

LEVEL 3 : Rogue (lvl2)
    Cunning Action

LEVEL 4 : Rogue (lvl3)
    Sneak Attack (+2d6)
    Roguish Features (Assassin) :
    - Bonus proficiencies (Disguise and Poisonner’s Kit)
    Assasinate

LEVEL 5 : Rogue (lvl4)
    Ability Score Improuvement (+ 2 Dex)

LEVEL 6 : Fighter (lvl.1)
    Fighting Style (Blind-Fighting)
    Second Wind

LEVEL 7 : Monk (lvl2)
    Ki, Unarmored Mouvement

LEVEL 8 : Monk (lvl3)
    Deflect Missile
    Monastic Tradition (Open Hand or Kensei)

LEVEL 9 : Monk (lvl4)
    Slow Fall
    New feat : Skilled (Perception, Acrobatic and… History)

LEVEL 10 : Monk (lvl.5)
    Extra Attack
    Stunning Strike

LEVEL 11 : Monk (lvl.6)
    Ki-Empowered Strike
    Monastey Tradition (Open Hand or Kensei)

LEVEL 12 : Rogue (lvl5)
    Uncanny Dodge
    Sneak Attack (+3d6)

LEVEL 13 : Rogue (lvl6)
    Expertise (Athletics and Persuasion)

LEVEL 14 : Rogue (lvl7)
    Evasion
    Sneak Attack (+4d6)

LEVEL 15 : Rogue (lvl8)
    New feat: Observant

LEVEL 16 : Rogue (lvl9)
    Roguish Archetype (Infiltration Expertise)

LEVEL 17 : Rogue (lvl10)
    New feat : Tough (+1 Wisdom)

LEVEL 18 : Rogue (lvl11)
    Reliable Talent

LEVEL 19 : Rogue (lvl12)
    Ability Score Improuvement (+2)

LEVEL 20 : Fighter (lvl2)
    Action Surge
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-07-29 at 06:37 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler: For the ones saying the new Master of Universe show and isnt that bad:
    Show

If you dont want to watch the full video, here's the description below it:

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation is here, and it's pretty much exactly what we were told it was a year and a half ago -- The Teela Show. He-Man is BARELY in the show at all. But WORSE than that, it's a show that seems to delight in "subverting expectations" like The Last Jedi before it. Almost all of the male characters are sidelined, weakened or killed off so Teela, Andra and Evil-Lyn can take center stage. And it will most likely split the He-Man fandom right down the middle like The Last Jedi before it. Will Mattel's toy sales suffer for it?

Also in the video: Its not a sequal to filmation, its like a fanfiction of what they would have wanted the original show to be.

I took this video to show what I mean but there is A LOT of videos like it.

===========

For my Black Widow build above, I made her an all-around marysue who can do a lot of things successfully. Gave her he Skilled feat and Observant, fitting a infiltrated spy.

She might have Strenght 8 but Expertise (Athletics) is here to make up for it.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-07-29 at 06:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

My Bruce Banner would be a wizard, the closest stand in we have for a physicist.

However, he's also under the effects of a permanent True Polymorph spell. He's a Giant Ape more-or-less permanently now.

But the good news is, nothing stops a PC stuck as a Giant Ape from taking more levels in different classes. And technically it wouldn't even be multiclassing because his old class levels have no effect on the new form. So in other words he's free to be a Fighter/Barbarian while in his Ape form. In fact, the strange dual-state created by True Polymorph means that both the wizard Banner and the fighter/barbarian Hulk would each have their own class levels distinct from the others'. Given enough exp, you could even be a 20th level wizard in one form and a 11th level fighter/9th level barbarian in the other.

He can leave his Ape Form temporarily while under the effects of an Anti-Magic field, including the permanent field generated by the central eye of a Beholder. Petrified beholders could be installed in his base to create a safe space where he can resume human form and do science. If he levels up his Wizard levels enough to point where he can cast Anti-Magic Field himself he could walk around and do stuff as Banner even outside these areas, albeit for a limited time. The Metamagic feat to extend the duration of the Anti-Magic Field would be a wise investment here. Of course AMF is a concentration spell, so if he gets into a fight chances are good he'll lose it and go green. A portable Hulk suppression amulet could be created by trapping a petrified beholder in a Minimus Imprisonment gemstone, which could be then worn like a necklace to keep you in Banner form more-or-less indefinitely.

If desired, a Circlet of Intelligence could be used to to create a "Professor Hulk".
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2021-07-30 at 03:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129

The boy's from the dwarf (Red Dwarf) would be a pretty fun party to play with if the players had the wit to maintain it.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Spoiler: For the ones saying the new Master of Universe show and isnt that bad:
    Show

If you dont want to watch the full video, here's the description below it:

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation is here, and it's pretty much exactly what we were told it was a year and a half ago -- The Teela Show. He-Man is BARELY in the show at all. But WORSE than that, it's a show that seems to delight in "subverting expectations" like The Last Jedi before it. Almost all of the male characters are sidelined, weakened or killed off so Teela, Andra and Evil-Lyn can take center stage. And it will most likely split the He-Man fandom right down the middle like The Last Jedi before it. Will Mattel's toy sales suffer for it?

Also in the video: Its not a sequal to filmation, its like a fanfiction of what they would have wanted the original show to be.

I took this video to show what I mean but there is A LOT of videos like it.
    Have you watched Masters of the Universe: Revelations?

It is indeed not a show where He-Man is the star. It is still a great show. It isn't about "subverting expectations", it is about examining the fiction of the Masters of the Universe setting.

People on the internet making videos about being angry at something isn't an indicator of lack of quality.

Also claiming that "Almost all of the male characters are sidelined, weakened or killed off so Teela, Andra and Evil-Lyn can take center stage" is utterly ridiculous. None of the male characters are weakened (or certainly not any more than the female characters are in the same circumstances), they can only be considered "sidelined" if you think that 1 episode out of 5 focusing on a two-girls team (for the heroes, not the bad guys) is sidelining, and I'm not going to talk about the "killed off" part for spoiler reasons, but I'd be surprised if the writer themselves actually believe what they've written here.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Have you watched Masters of the Universe: Revelations?

It is indeed not a show where He-Man is the star. It is still a great show. It isn't about "subverting expectations", it is about examining the fiction of the Masters of the Universe setting.

People on the internet making videos about being angry at something isn't an indicator of lack of quality.

Also claiming that "Almost all of the male characters are sidelined, weakened or killed off so Teela, Andra and Evil-Lyn can take center stage" is utterly ridiculous. None of the male characters are weakened (or certainly not any more than the female characters are in the same circumstances), they can only be considered "sidelined" if you think that 1 episode out of 5 focusing on a two-girls team (for the heroes, not the bad guys) is sidelining, and I'm not going to talk about the "killed off" part for spoiler reasons, but I'd be surprised if the writer themselves actually believe what they've written here.
    It's unrelated to this thread, but from what I've seen online (I actually had to research this because I wasn't even aware that this show existed), a fair amount of people who are feeling tricked is because it was advertised as a He-Man sequel, not a Masters of the Universe sequel, and the fact that they feel lied to is the issue, not the actual plot of the thing itself.

EDIT: Not everyone, of course, feels this way, but I found more than a few who did. And I might be being optimistic and hoping for the best in people, but ah well.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    It's unrelated to this thread, but from what I've seen online (I actually had to research this because I wasn't even aware that this show existed), a fair amount of people who are feeling tricked is because it was advertised as a He-Man sequel, not a Masters of the Universe sequel, and the fact that they feel lied to is the issue, not the actual plot of the thing itself.

EDIT: Not everyone, of course, feels this way, but I found more than a few who did. And I might be being optimistic and hoping for the best in people, but ah well.
    It is neither a He-Man sequel nor a Masters of the Universe sequel, though. It's a whole different continuity.

I 100% agree that the advertisement was awfully handed and that the trailers looks as if the person who made them was afraid the actual premise of the show would scare fans away. I can't blame the show for it, because it really doesn't try to present itself as anything but what it is, but it was indeed a bad decision to handle the larger advertisement that way.

As a result, I was genuinely wary about the show. But it proved itself in my eyes.

All I can say is: giving it a chance is more than worthwhile.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2021-07-31 at 01:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

I saw some Avengers a while back, but isn't Thor just...the greater Norse Deity Thor? We have stats for the 3.0/3.5 version of him from the Deities and Demigods supplement.

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    I would say this... if you like selfless heroes that care about others, you can get some mileage out of the end of episode 1 and a part of episode 5. You may be disappointed with the rest of the episodes.

If you like embittered, self-centered protagonists with a chip on their shoulder and that need an incentive to help other people, then you will really enjoy all five episodes.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    The boy's from the dwarf (Red Dwarf) would be a pretty fun party to play with if the players had the wit to maintain it.
    I remember there being a Red Dwarf tabletop RPG. I never tried it, but I've always been sort of curious as to how it actually played. The Red Dwarf "party" don't translate great to D&D: although they occasionally bring out the big guns, none of them are too skilled in fighting and if they are PCs they're probably low-level.

That said, with a brief think...

Lister: For all his eccentricities, Lister is the closest the show has to an everyman and that's largely reflected in his stats. Scratch the surface and he's more intelligent than he lets on, but he rarely applies himself and so hasn't really developed it further; he's a big slob, but not unable to be charismatic; etc. The Standard Human of the bunch. Although not that fit, his Constitution might be a bit higher than usual given his odd diet.

I'll pick a slightly odd class here and say Dave could be an Artificer, although not a high-level one. Honestly, I'm writing assuming low-level for all the boys.

Cat: The Cat could be a Tabaxi or Shifter, but this might be overselling his "cat" abilities a bit; you could easily just make him a Variant Human. In any case, he's a Rogue with Expertise in Performance and, thanks to his cat senses, Perception. Which is good for him, because his Wisdom isn't great and he's not as Charismatic as he thinks he is.

Rimmer: A tough one: how do you model a hologram? Well, you can't, really, but if you have to compromise. Rimmer is uncharismatic, demonstrates poor intelligence, but he's put all those points in Constitution. If he's a Variant Human, his feat might be Tough. Assuming he's a hard-light program, his Strength should also be really high, a fact he'll barely use. Despite the low Charisma his player's chosen to be a Mastermind Rogue, allowing him to focus on Helping in combat rather than contributing personally. Or to flee, such as it is.

Kryten: A Warforged Artificer, but he starts with 16+ Int. He might have the Linguist feat, or some source of Comprehend Languages. He also has a source of heavy armour (whether feat or Fighter level), allowing him to dump Dexterity.

Not the most optimal party, of course. In an actual campaign, you could keep in spirit with the characters by taking two Rogues and two Artificers, but optimising them a bit more and giving each slightly different focuses.
    Last edited by Lavaeolus; 2021-08-04 at 08:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Lavaeolus View Post
    I remember there being a Red Dwarf tabletop RPG. I never tried it, but I've always been sort of curious as to how it actually played. The Red Dwarf "party" don't translate great to D&D: although they occasionally bring out the big guns, none of them are too skilled in fighting and if they are PCs they're probably low-level.

That said, with a brief think...

Lister: For all his eccentricities, Lister is the closest the show has to an everyman and that's largely reflected in his stats. Scratch the surface and he's more intelligent than he lets on, but he rarely applies himself and so hasn't really developed it further; he's a big slob, but not unable to be charismatic; etc. The Standard Human of the bunch. Although not that fit, his Constitution might be a bit higher than usual thanks to his diet.

I'll pick a slightly odd class here and say Dave could be an Artificer, although not a high-level one. Honestly, I'm writing assuming low-level for all the boys.

Cat: The Cat could be a Tabaxi or Shifter, but this might be overselling his "cat" abilities a bit; you could easily just make him a Variant Human. In any case, he's a Rogue with Expertise in Performance and, thanks to his cat senses, Perception. Which is good for him, because his Wisdom isn't great and he's not as Charismatic as he thinks he is.

Rimmer: A tough one: how do you model a hologram? Well, you can't, really, but if you have to compromise. Rimmer is uncharismatic, demonstrates poor intelligence, but he's put all those points in Constitution. If he's a Variant Human, his feat might be Tough. Assuming he's a hard-light program, his Strength should also be really high, a fact he'll barely use. Despite the low Charisma his player's chosen to be a Mastermind Rogue, allowing him to focus on Helping in combat rather than contributing personally. Or to flee, such as it is.

Kryten: A Warforged Artificer, but he starts with 16+ Int. He might have the Linguist feat, or some source of Comprehend Languages. He also has a source of heavy armour (whether feat or Fighter level), allowing him to dump Dexterity.

Not the most optimal party, of course. In an actual campaign, you could keep in spirit with the characters by taking two Rogues and two Artificers, but optimising them a bit more and giving each slightly different focuses.
    The game wasn't really that good from a crunchy standpoint but the writing and artwork are spot on. If you and friends enjoyed the show then it's a good option for days you want to not take the gaming itself very serious but still enjoy the structure of a ttrpg. It is shelf worthy if you find a used copy under priced at the local.

I feel they would all need the lucky feat just because they wouldn't have great stats and maybe MI just for cutting words which is their primary tactic. Cold cuts and dumb luck.
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2021-08-03 at 05:25 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    I saw some Avengers a while back, but isn't Thor just...the greater Norse Deity Thor? We have stats for the 3.0/3.5 version of him from the Deities and Demigods supplement.
    Nah, the premise of the Marvel Norse pantheon is that they were never actually gods, just aliens who were powerful and long-lived enough to be considered gods by the primitive humans. Thor can hang with other superheroes as more-or-less peers, so he should be built with PC rules if the others are.

As one of the ones who's doing the Avengers builds, I think Thor works remarkably well as a Level 20 PC.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

18. - Top - End - #138

Well...sort of yes, sort of no. Where Thor is in the comics right now, the deities and demigods interpretation is a lot closer to being accurate. Particularly after becoming King and getting the power Cosmic from Galactus and even more powerups.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Do ya’ll take requests?

If you do:

Varric Tethras from Dragon Age 2 and DA: Inquisition.
    Avatar courteously cleaned up by thoroughlyS

20. - Top - End - #140

On a side note, I'm totally okay with the new Master of the Universe, mostly because said Teela is Sarah Michelle Gellar...ya know, the same Buffy we tried to create earlier in this thread. Crushed on her since 1997, so even bad writing means nothing to me.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Do ya’ll take requests?

If you do:

Varric Tethras from Dragon Age 2 and DA: Inquisition.
    To my mind, Varric's a simple one. There's a lot of shared inspiration and history between 5e and Dragon Age, which means he translates pretty on the nose. He's a Dwarf Rogue (Hill Dwarf works well), with high Dexterity and Charisma and the Guild Merchant background; his artisan's tools are calligrapher's supplies. He starts off with Expertise in Performance and Deception -- Varric is better at spinning a tale than straightforwardly convincing someone -- but probably grabs Expertise in Persuasion and Sleight of Hand down the line. Like all Dragon Age rogues, he's proficient in Stealth.

In terms of subclass, I can see a few routes and it depends on what incarnation of him you want to most emulate. Varric likes to be the man-behind-the-man, and has accumulated his own little underground network that he repeatedly uses in the background of DA2. To me, that's Mastermind behaviour, but the subclass features don't amazingly support that fantasy; a ranged Swashbuckler could be another way to work in his tendency to rely on his mouth, but is a bit of an odd fit.

However, in Inquisition Varric is an Artificer: not the 5e class, but rather a specialization based around throwing items, setting traps, etc. Thief works well enough for emulating this.

Varric uses a special crossbow, Bianca, which is the only known repeating crossbow in the setting. Mechanically, it's a heavy crossbow with the Repeating Shot infusion applied by the actual smith Bianca. (Varric, of course, used Tasha's to swap out some of his dwarven weapon proficiencies; if only using PHB rules, let's just call it a hand crossbow.)

His feats help him focus on using his crossbow: Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, with either a dip in Fighter or the Fighting Initiate feat for the Archery FS.
    Last edited by Lavaeolus; 2021-08-04 at 06:11 PM.
    Avatar by me. Behold my art thread for a bigger-resolution view.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lavaeolus View Post
    To my mind, Varric's a simple one. There's a lot of shared inspiration and history between 5e and Dragon Age, which means he translates pretty on the nose. He's a Dwarf Rogue (Hill Dwarf works well), with high Dexterity and Charisma and the Guild Merchant background; his artisan's tools are calligrapher's supplies. He starts off with Expertise in Performance and Deception -- Varric is better at spinning a tale than straightforwardly convincing someone -- but probably grabs Expertise in Persuasion and Sleight of Hand down the line. Like all Dragon Age rogues, he's proficient in Stealth.

In terms of subclass, I can see a few routes and it depends on what incarnation of him you want to most emulate. Varric likes to be the man-behind-the-man, and has accumulated his own little underground network that he repeatedly uses in the background of DA2. To me, that's Mastermind behaviour, but the subclass features don't amazingly support that fantasy; a ranged Swashbuckler could be another way to work in his tendency to rely on his mouth, but is a bit of an odd fit.

However, in Inquisition Varric is explicitly an Artificer: a specialization based around throwing items, setting traps, etc. Thief works well enough for emulating this.

Varric uses a special crossbow, Bianca, which is the only known repeating crossbow in the setting. Mechanically, it's a heavy crossbow with the Repeating Shot infusion applied by the actual smith Bianca. (Varric, of course, used Tasha's to swap out some of his dwarven weapon proficiencies; if only using PHB rules, let's just call it a hand crossbow.)

His feats help him focus on using his crossbow: Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, with either a dip in Fighter or the Fighting Initiate feat for the Archery FS.
    I've been struggling with how to make Varric without utilizing any magic, because he doesn't utilize any spells at all.

I really wish 5E had much more going on with utilizing traps, instead of just saying "Glyph of Warding" all the time. And despite being a Rogue, he heavily utilizes multiple shots in a single attack as opposed to the high damage one shot.
    Avatar courteously cleaned up by thoroughlyS

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I was suddenly inspired to make an Eda, the Owl Witch build!

But I am not sure you guys will be interested in the full build... Cartoon characters build werent my most popular ones.

So Ill try something new: resume the build!

Variant Human (Feat: War Caster)
    Monk 1 // Sorcerer (Shadow Magic) 9 // Warlock (The Genie) 10

I wasnt able to include every part of the characters in a single build to be honest... especially the Owl Beast form. After all, it cannot be a druid wild shape since Eda never mastered healing magic. It cannot be Tenser's Transformation or True Polymorph cause it would requiere too much investing in one class.

But still, the build include:

1) The Owl House (The 10 ranks of Genie Warlock)
    2) King as a monstrous dire wolf (somewhat flavorful for Titan bloodline Sorcerer)
    3) Able to defend herself with a quaterstaff if needed

And I do think Titan mutating creature on the Boiling Isles works in explaining most people are sorcerer. And Emperor Belos want to change everyone with magic potential on the Isle into wizards.

Her curse is well represented by having ranks in Warlock (limiting magic) and Sorcerer metamagic (Transmuted spells) allows her to feel like she is using a lot of different magic.

Hope you like the idea!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Again, another build for the week!

Objective of the build:

- Able to fall from any height and survive
    - Giant fisting arms of destruction!

Yeah, had to go bugbear for the long arms with reach. 4 levels of Sorcerer to make him able to fall from any heights and do a few tricks on his own. Mostly a Path of the Juggernault Barbarian so that your melee attack count as siege weapons (WAY more damage to destroy objects)

The Juggernault path was not declared 100/100 official but its way too much feeting for Ralph. That,s mostly why I needed to make a second, better build for him once I discovered it.

Sorry, I know its not a new original build but Im proud of the v.2 version and wanted to share it!

EDIT: There reason I went for 4 ranks of Sorcerer is mainly because I needed 3 ranks to get the metamagics and one more rank meant one more ability score improuvement, which is always nice. I also like to have Magic Weapon against resistance/magic with gauntlet as I cant see Ralph having 6 level in Monk to get fist that count as magic. better to have those ranks as Sorcerer.

Spoiler: Wreck it Ralph V.2 : Improved build!
    Show

Wreck It Ralph

Race : Bugbear
    Stats gained : (+2 Str, + 1Dex)
    Skill Gained : Stealth
    Background : Outlander (Athletics, Survival)
    Stats (total at level 1):

Strenght 15(17), Dex 12(13), Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13

LEVEL 1 : Fighter (lvl.1)
    Skill trained : Intimidation and Perception
    Fighting Style (Unarmed Fighting)
    Second Wind

LEVEL 2 : Sorcerer (Lvl.1)
    Sorcerous
    Wind Speaker (Speak and understand Primordial, Auquan, Auran, Ignan and terran)
    Tempestuous Magic
    Spellcasting :
    Cantrips : Friends, Mold Earth, Infestation, Prestigitation
    Spells lvl.1 : Feather Fall, Disguise Self

LEVEL 3 : Barbarian (lvl.1)
    Rage (2 times)
    Unarmored Defense

LEVEL 4 : Barbarian (lvl.2)
    Reckless Attack, Danger Sense

LEVEL 5 : Barbarian (lvl.3)
    Primal Path (Juggernault)
    -Thunderous Blows and Stance of the Mountains
    Primal Knowledge (Nature)

LEVEL 6 : Barbarian (lvl.4)
    Ability Improuvement (+1 Str, +1 Dex)

LEVEL 7 : Barbarian (lvl.5)
    Extra Attack, Fast Mouvement

LEVEL 8 : Barbarian (lvl.6)
    Path Feature (Demolishing Might)

LEVEL 9 : Barbarian (lvl.7)
    Feral Instinct
    Instinctive Pounce

LEVEL 10 : Barbarian (lvl.8)
    New feat (Fighting Initiate : Mariner)

LEVEL 11 : Sorcerer (lvl.2)
    Font of Magic
    +1 lvl.1 spell : Sudden Awakening

LEVEL 12 : Sorcerer (Lvl.3)
    Metamagic (Extended Spell, Subtle Spell)
    +1 lvl.1 spell Known : Enhance Ability

LEVEL 13 : Sorcerer (lvl.4)
    Ability Improuvement (+2 Str)
    + 1 Spell: Magic Weapon (I would give him gauntlets and enchant them. Work with your GM on this one. Otherwise get Expeditious Retreat or See Invisibility)

LEVEL 14 : Barbarian (lvl.9)
    Brutal Critical (1 dice)

LEVEL 15 : Barbarian (lvl.10)
    Path Feature, Primal Knowledge (Animal Handling)

LEVEL 16 : Barbarian (lvl.11)
    Relentless Rage

LEVEL 17 : Barbarian (lvl.12)
    Ability Score Improuvement (+2 Str)

LEVEL 18 : Barbarian (lvl.13)
    Brutal Dice (2 Dice)

LEVEL 19 : Barbarian (lvl.14)
    Path feature (Unstoppable)

LEVEL 20 : Barbarian (lvl.15)
    Persistent Rage

Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-09-02 at 10:13 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

OMG finally! I being working at minimum 48 hours a week since the beginning of summer! 60+ hours in the last few weeks!

But I had the time to work on ONE character! From Spiderman: Into the Multiverse: SPIDERMAN NOIR

I LOVED that guy and Nicolas Cage was awesome pick for his voice! I wish I could roleplay a character like that!

Goals:

1) Spidey Stuff: Power of a spider

2) Noir is the new black: You need to be drooling with Noir style. So only magic with no colors!

3) Private Investigator: You need to be able to be a competent investigator. You are a Be-cop but not a bee-cop, more a spider-cop.

TL:DR: Rogue (Inquisitive) 12 / Monk (Kensei) 3 / Sorcerer (Shadow magic) 5 . A dex build in case your Gm allows the Gunner feat.

Spoiler: Nicolas cage own version of Spiderman!
    Show

Race: Variant Human
    Feat: Alert
    Free Skill: History
    Ability boost: +1 Dex, +1 Cha

Background: City Watch (Athletics, Insight)

Stats (With racial boost)
    Str: 8
    Dex: 16
    Con:12
    Int: 10
    Wis: 14
    Cha: 14

CLASS:

Level 1: Rogue
    Skill trained: Investigation, Perception, Stealth, Sleight of Hands
    Thieves Cant
    Sneak Attack (+1d6)
    Expertise (Athletics, Insight)

Level 2: Rogue
    Cunning Action

Level 3: Monk
    Unarmored Defense, Martial Art

Level 4: Sorcerer
    Spellcasting:
    Prestigitation (So everything can taste like egg cream lol)
    Gust (So everywhere you go, the Winds follows... and it had to some spiderman stuff)
    Mage Hand (Same for Spiderman stuff, long distance manipulation)
    Mending (glue thing together with your web)
    Feather Fall and Jump

Level 5: Monk
    Unarmored Mouvement, Ki

Level 6: Rogue
    Roguish Archetype (Inquisitive) to become the perfect inquisitor.
    Sneak Attack (+2d6)

Level 7: Monk
    Monk tradition (Kensei Weapon)
    Deflect Arrows
    Ki-Fueled Attacks (so you can bypass some magical defense)

Level 8: Rogue
    I would like to boost this Spiderman ability with a gun on this level. If your setting allows guns, take the Gunner feat. Otherwise, you would be fighting with a crossbow either take the Fighting Initiate feat (Close-Quarters Shooter) if the GM allows it. Otherwise, just take the +2 boost in Dexterity.

Level 9: Sorcerer
    Font of Magic
    Spellcasting: Catapult

Level 10: Sorcerer
    Metamagic (Subtle Spell, Extended Spells)
    Spellcasting: Hold Person

Level 11: Sorcerer
    Ability Improuvement (+2 Dex). if you took the Gunner feat, +1 Dex to max it out and +1 Wis
    Spellcasting: Spider Climb

Level 12: Sorcerer
    Spellcasting: Haste

Level 13 to 20: Rogue. Get Tough (Con) when you can to get better concentration and Con saves.

Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-09-28 at 07:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

This post will be slightly different...

Tulok recently posted THIS build of Momo "Creat-i" Yaoyorozu. Take a look, its interesting!

Spoiler: Momo "Creat-i" Yaoyorozu
    Show

I would say that Tulok was right... for 80-85% of the build. So instead of trying to make a full build for her myself, I will point out what I would have done differently.

Spoiler: What I would change:
    Show

1) Stats: Strenght 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 13 . Get the +1 racial bonus on Int and Cha.

2) Her starting feat is useless for her. Catapult is good but Artificers can cast it. Instead get the Skilled feat to get more intelligence skills or something useful like Perception, Stealth, Insight, etc.

3) Speaking of skills, give her Medicine and Arcana from starting skills. I dont know where Sleight of Hands came from.

4) Replace the 3 ranks of Fighter for 3 ranks in Bards (School of Creation). And get them at early levels. Get her that first level in Artificer sure but her second level should be in Bard. Artificer cantrips will start with Shocking Grasp and Spare the Dying. Cantrips given by Bard level will be Message, Mending, Prestigitation and finally, either Friends or Light. Get the second and third levels of Bard at level 6 and 7, BEFORE getting Flash of Genius class feature. Flavorwise, she got it later in her character arc, that assurance. Make sense to give it earlier then Flash of Genius.

5) Bards level will get her more spells but not a lot of fitting lvl.2 spells while there is so much good lvl.1 spells for her get Disguise Self, Identify and Knock. Very good for her and thematic!

The Bards level will help her about how shes good overral in everything. She was a good support character in the show and the Artificer level can still make her very powerful.

If you like this way of formatting, I could repost a few build ajustements like that on this thread
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-09-28 at 11:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

The Juggernault

Tulok released a video for the Juggernault and while I understand why he did it this way... I think he should have go with Cleric rather then Warlock ranks to get Freedom of Mouvement. It would have being much more effective.

So I decided to make my own build for Juggernault. I'll post the build in spoilers and my after thought in another spoiler boxes.... small spoiler though: By the end the build, you'll have a carrying capacity of a COLLOSSAL creature!

Spoiler: The Juggernault build
    Show
    Juggernault

Race : Goliath (+2 Str, +1 Con)
    Free skill: Athletics
    Custom background (Magic Bully): Arcana and intimidation

Stats : Str: 17, Dex: 12 , Con: 16, Int: 8, Wis : 13, Cha : 8

Level 1 : Fighter
    Fighter Style (Unarmed), Second-Wind
    Skills trained : Acrobatics and Perception

Level 2 : Cleric
    Divine Domain (Strenght)
    +1 skill : Survival
    Spellcasting :
    Cantrips : Thaumaturgy, Spare the Dying, Resistance, Shillegeah (Domain)
    Lvl.1 spells : Protection from Evil and Good, Sanctuary, Divine Favor (Domain), Shield of Faith Domain

Level 3 : Fighter
    Action Surge

Level 4 : Fighter
    Martial Archetype (Rune Knight)
    - Cloud Rune
    - Frost Rune

Level 5 : Fighter
    Ability Improuvement (+1 Str and +1 Wis)

Level 6 : Cleric
    Channel Divinity (Feat of Strenght)
    Spellcasting : Detect Disease and Poison

Level 7 : Fighter
    Extra Attack

Level 8 : Fighter
    New Feat : Mobile

Level 9 : Fighter
    Martial Feature (Hill Rune)

Level 10 : Fighter
    New Feat : Crusher

Level 11 : Cleric
    + lvl.1 Spell : Purify Food and Drink (no war of attrition, he cant die of starvation. Going to reflect that in my build)
    +1vl.2 Spells : Enhance Ability (Domain), Protection from Poison (Domain),

Level 12 : Cleric
    New feat : Tavern Brawler (+1 Str)
    Spellcasting : Light, Lesser Restauration

Level 13 : Cleric
    Destroy Undead
    Spellcasting (Haste (Domain), Protection from Energy (Domain), Dispel Magic, Remove Curse)

Level 14 : Cleric
    Channel Divinity + Divine Domain Feature (Rhonas' Blessing)
    Spellcasting : Create Food and Water

Level 15 : Cleric
    Spellcasting : Freedom of Mouvement

Level 16 : Cleric
    New Feat : Brawny (From UA. +1 Str, Double proficiency to Athletics and double carrying capacity… Now you have naturally a caryying capacity of a Huge creature, Collosal with Enhanced Ability. You are welcomed.)
    Spellcasting : Death Ward

Level 17 : Fighter
    Indominable

Level 18 : Fighter
    Martial Feature (Giant Stature)

Level 19 : Fighter
    Extra Attack (x2)

Level 20 : Fighter
    New feat : Tough

Spoiler: My changes - Thoughts
    Show

The changes

- I changed Juggernault to a Goliath simply because I felt they needed more love as Tulok would never build them into character.

- Also, Juggernault dont need to drop Wisdom. He is quite bullheaded and determined. Just dont give him proficiency to Wisdom saves and you are good.

- Made sure to give him the Mobile feat before the Crusher feat. It works better and make you less of a target once you reach the melee range of your enemies.

- Cleric gives you so much good stuff. I got rid of one of his weakness against ennemies he cannot reach by giving him a combo of Tavern Brawler feat - Enhanced Ability (Str) spell and Brawny feat. You can now throw super large items at your opponents and avoid being buried in rubbles too! If the GM doesnt allows the Brawny feat, that's fine. Boost your stats instead.

- Since Wisdom is not the main focus, I gave him spells that allows him to not die of starvation, poison, disease, etc.

EDIT: Normally I would post Tulok original build on the forum but I am not sure his sponsor fit the GITP forum rules so I'm just going to suggest you go watch it on Youtube for yourself if you want to.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-10-02 at 06:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Zuko (Avatar)
    V.Human (Elemental Adept, Fire)
    Noble
    Drakewarden Ranger (Zuko is a ranger I do not care what you say)
    - Druidic Warrior for Produce Flame and Control Flames
    - Take spells that help you find the avatar such as Hunter's Mark, Locate Creature, Locate Obect, ect. Also take Searing Smite as this will be your primary spell slot use.
    - Drakewarden (Zuko does get a pet dragon later on) To allow your scimitars to deal additional fire damage.
    - Your breath weapon at lv.11 is just more fire bending

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by BrelishBard View Post
    Zuko (Avatar)
    V.Human (Elemental Adept, Fire)
    Noble
    Drakewarden Ranger (Zuko is a ranger I do not care what you say)
    - Druidic Warrior for Produce Flame and Control Flames
    - Take spells that help you find the avatar such as Hunter's Mark, Locate Creature, Locate Obect, ect. Also take Searing Smite as this will be your primary spell slot use.
    - Drakewarden (Zuko does get a pet dragon later on) To allow your scimitars to deal additional fire damage.
    - Your breath weapon at lv.11 is just more fire bending
    ...And how does he do his lightning?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    ...And how does he do his lightning?
    He dosnt, Zuko cannot generate lightning... but absorb elements let's him redirect it!