New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default A Windows program that types a text file into other programs?

I'm looking for a program that I can put a text file into, and later trigger it with a key combination or something so that it enters that text file into the current application.

So, for example, if I had a multi-line message or list of / commands I wanted to enter in Minecraft, I could paste it into this hypothetical program, go into Minecraft, open chat and hit the key combination to "paste" multiple lines of text or command code, with Enter automatically used at every line break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A Windows program that types a text file into other programs?

That is something that AutoHotkey can do, but it's not the easiest tool to use.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    That is something that AutoHotkey can do, but it's not the easiest tool to use.
    Yeah, I'd prefer a single streamlined tool that does what I mentioned in the OP, not a street full of tool factories.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to guess there is a reason why copy and paste is not an option? I feel this would be easiest but it requires the additional step of marking/ copying the text..
    Then again I guess pasting might not work in every environment.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'm going to guess there is a reason why copy and paste is not an option? I feel this would be easiest but it requires the additional step of marking/ copying the text..
    On that note, I'm guessing Notepad won't work, too.
    When I code in R, I generally write complex/multi-line code in Notepad, copy all, then paste in R. Two key clicks (the copy, then the paste). Unless Minecraft doesn't allow the Paste function built into Windows operating systems to work, that should work.

I realize I'm probably misunderstanding the need.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Because I need to execute hundreds or thousands of commands one after the other.

If I type the commands into Notepad with carriage returns between them, Minecraft ignores the carriage returns and puts them all on one line, then throws an error because the concatenated line doesn't fit the syntax for the single command it sees at the start of the line.

I can copy and paste the commands one after the other, but that involves alt-tabbing between my text file and Minecraft hundreds or thousands of times hitting CTRL-C and CTRL-V Enter, making sure to select exactly the right line each time. I have done this for sequences of about 10-20 commands, and it got very tiresome after maybe 5. Hundreds or thousands in a row are right out.

It would really be nice to automate that process in the manner I specified in the OP.

I can write code to automatically generate a text file with all the commands I need for the things I'm planning to do, at which point a solution like I asked for would take me the rest of the way.

If I had easy access to Minecraft functions, that would do it, but unfortunately this is on a Realm, where functions have to be added to the world save file offline. So, every time a new function is needed , the world file must be downloaded, altered, and uploaded again. This is impossible to do on the fly without disrupting people's play, not to mention being a massive pain in the <REDACTED> compared to a solution like I outlined in the OP.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, sorry, I somehow misunderstood exactly what you were meaning to do. Hm... Still seems like something easy enough to program.. I'm not an expert but the most uncommon thing to do seems to get it to enter the text.. Or copy - paste line by line. I might look into it later but I can't right now.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I don't know how to do this or 100% if it is possible, but I'd think VBA might be able to.

Have your code-to-be-copied in Notepad or something similar.
    Program something in VBA -- I've found Excel handy to use as a front, even if I'm doing random stuff like creating folders or renaming PDFs -- with code to do something like
    --open Notepad file
    --LOOP
    ----read in line x
    ----go to open window (here, Minecraft) and copy text***
    ----x=x+1
    ----REPEAT UNTIL END

The step with the *** is what would be really hard and I'm not sure if is doable. But since it is Windows code interacting with a program running on Windows, I'd think it's possible.
    If Excel doesn't auto-reformat stuff, you could copy the code from Notepad into Excel first, and then have the VBA do the easier job of grabbing it from row 1, 2, 3, and so on during the loop instead of directly from the Notepad file.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Does Minecraft have an escape character that you could insert into your text file to re-enable linefeeds?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Bash?

We use GitBash at work, the other guys use it for git but I'm a native *nix user and I'd noticed it was a full bash shell. We had a issue with a legacy data loading program not being able to handle a 2.7 GB file. While others were panicing over having to decipher and rewrite undocumented legacy code I googled and modified a one line awk script to split the file into 30ish manageable chunks. I've also had occasion to use bash scripts to open and close a web browser at a specific site on a timer, and to backend for a little video streaming server that converted most video formats to one that the client could display.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

It's been a few years, but I had decent luck with one of those gaming macros that can be programmed to click or type according to a script. However, I don't know whether or not it would count as easier than AutoHotKey, but I recall it got the job done. This was a few machines ago, so I can't easily check what it was, but it might come to me. Until then, maybe search for some of the more popular game auto-clickers and see if one will work?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Does Minecraft have an escape character that you could insert into your text file to re-enable linefeeds?
    Or a command seperator to use instead of linefeeds?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I don't know how to do this or 100% if it is possible, but I'd think VBA might be able to.

Have your code-to-be-copied in Notepad or something similar.
    Program something in VBA -- I've found Excel handy to use as a front, even if I'm doing random stuff like creating folders or renaming PDFs -- with code to do something like
    --open Notepad file
    --LOOP
    ----read in line x
    ----go to open window (here, Minecraft) and copy text***
    ----x=x+1
    ----REPEAT UNTIL END

The step with the *** is what would be really hard and I'm not sure if is doable. But since it is Windows code interacting with a program running on Windows, I'd think it's possible.
    If Excel doesn't auto-reformat stuff, you could copy the code from Notepad into Excel first, and then have the VBA do the easier job of grabbing it from row 1, 2, 3, and so on during the loop instead of directly from the Notepad file.
    VBA has the ability to pass special characters such as carriege returns through the code if you want. Running it from Wordpad is unnecessariy complex, put the commands in a spreadsheet instead. The tricky part I would forsee is getting ti to put it in the right place in Minecraft.

Part of me feels though that Minecraft should have some kind of function in it for scripting natively.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2018-02-24 at 06:05 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

While I haven't used Realms myself, I understand command blocks can be enabled; and there are tricks for executing multiple sequential commands from a single command block.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    While I haven't used Realms myself, I understand command blocks can be enabled; and there are tricks for executing multiple sequential commands from a single command block.
    That does work, but it has limitations that wouldn't be shared by what I'm looking for.

Looking into AutoHotKey, it looks like I'd have to make another program to generate the AutoHotKey code for each macro. Putting text into a program which generates code I have to insert into an AutoHotKey macro does not sound as convenient to do each time as what I'm looking for.

Also, looking into this a bit more, it seems as though some delay needs to be added at each carriage return, which is why a new custom program or AutoHotKey are the only solutions I know so far that will work.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Also, looking into this a bit more, it seems as though some delay needs to be added at each carriage return, which is why a new custom program or AutoHotKey are the only solutions I know so far that will work.
    By 'delay', do you mean a literal delay of a few seconds between lines of code?
    If yes, and if you can get VBA to work as the system, I recall it has a code to pause a few seconds between executing codes. I forget the line of code to cause a few-second lag, but it'd probably be easy to find on Google or StackExchange.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Auto Clickers

Hello Everyone!
    Does anyone know how to speed up auto clicker playback?
    Please let me know.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: Auto Necro more like
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)