Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 181 to 189 of 189
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shang Chi and the Very Long Subtitle About Obscure Marvel Lore

    I think you can get "Rogue is sassy and flirtatious, also a powerhouse that permanently drained Carol, also a tragic figure who desires intimacy but can never really have it" without the absolute word succotash of a backstory that Ramza posted above.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Shang Chi and the Very Long Subtitle About Obscure Marvel Lore

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I think you can get "Rogue is sassy and flirtatious, also a powerhouse that permanently drained Carol, also a tragic figure who desires intimacy but can never really have it" without the absolute word succotash of a backstory that Ramza posted above.
    You mean like people can intuit a person is hurting now, or hurt in the past (trauma) without knowing their decades of life story. That sounds like a Miracle 😲 how does this empathy and sympathy tools work I ask of you

    -----

    I prefer Lasagna as a dish that takes forever to cook yet the flavors blend together over time. That and Chicago Deep Dish, which is not "Pizza" yet is still tasty.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Shang Chi and the Very Long Subtitle About Obscure Marvel Lore

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Eh. Its comic books, we'll see how long it lasts.

    also whats with Marvel and giving incredible power to pre-teen children? first that reality warping son of Reed Richards and Susan Storm, then some child bonding with a symbiote, now a child emperor. are they just trying to live up to their inheritance of the marvel name from Billy Batson?
    ...No.

    Marvel did their "take the piss out of DC with their Captain Marvel" thing a while ago when Rick Jones and Captain Mar-Vel got tangled together and only one of them could exist in the main reality at the same time for a while(the other being trapped in the Negative Zone) so for a while Rick would be living his life and then switch out with Mar-Vel when the crime happened.

    Marvel had good reason to be pissy, by the way. Marvel owned the rights to Superheros named "Captain Marvel" because a copyright or trademark or something in regards to Billy Batson expired and MArvel bought those rights, started publishing their own Captain Marvel... DC brought back Billy after a long absence, it led to a cluster...

    Lets' just say that renaming Billy Batson to "Shazam" should have happened decades ago and leave it at that.

    Techcnailyl there's no child "Emporer."

    Xandra's a girl, so she'd accurately be an Empress.

    And Teddy is a grown-ass-man. The plan to hide him from potential assassins was "go back in time and raise him on Earth starting several years ago. Raise him as human. Nobody will ever think to look there."
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-04-23 at 11:35 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shang Chi and the Very Long Subtitle About Obscure Marvel Lore

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    You mean like people can intuit a person is hurting now, or hurt in the past (trauma) without knowing their decades of life story. That sounds like a Miracle 😲 how does this empathy and sympathy tools work I ask of you

    -----

    I prefer Lasagna as a dish that takes forever to cook yet the flavors blend together over time. That and Chicago Deep Dish, which is not "Pizza" yet is still tasty.
    See, I really like this analogy - because lasagna is a fine dish but a terrible idea to serve in a movie theater. Nine times out of ten you'll end up with a soggy or burned mess that stinks up the place, and is a pale copy of the real thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Shang Chi and the Very Long Subtitle About Obscure Marvel Lore

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...No.

    Marvel did their "take the piss out of DC with their Captain Marvel" thing a while ago when Rick Jones and Captain Mar-Vel got tangled together and only one of them could exist in the main reality at the same time for a while(the other being trapped in the NEgative Zone) so for a while Rick would be living his life and then switch out with Mar-Vel when the crime happened.

    Marvel had good reason to be pissy, by the way. Marvel owned the rights to Superheros named "Captain MArvel" because a copyright or trademark or something in regards to Billy Batson expired and MArvel bought those rights, started publishing theirown Captain Marvel...

    Techcnailyl there's no child "Emporer."

    Xandra's a girl, so she'd accurately be an Empress.

    And Teddy is a grown-ass-man. The plan to hide him from potential assassins was "go back in time and raise him on Earth starting several years ago. Raise him as human. Nobod will ever think to look there."
    The part about Billy Batson was a rhetorical question, Rater.

    Yes. Earth. the place with all those world-saving compassionate heroes with good hearts who seem to get caught up in everything important for some reason. nobody will think to look for him there.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".



  6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Shang Chi and the Very Long Subtitle About Obscure Marvel Lore

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    The part about Billy Batson was a rhetorical question, Rater.

    Yes. Earth. the place with all those world-saving compassionate heroes with good hearts who seem to get caught up in everything important for some reason. nobody will think to look for him there.
    According to Loki, there's a non-zero chance that Teddy ended up on Earth because Billy is there and a non-zero chance that Teddy was only conceived in the firstplace because Billy subconsciously wanted someone like Teddy to exist and retroactively made it happen.

    After a brief falling out, Teddy and Billy have taken the stance of "We don't think that's true but we're not gonna think about it either" so.

    As for who Billy is...

    So, in an issue of Unstoppable Wasp, it's Nadia Pym's birthday and she, having only recently escaped from the Red Room, is meeting some of her relatives, such as her half brother William Grant Nelson, for the first time.
    Spoiler: Obligatory cute
    Show



    In the panel this is cropped from, he's saying "Mama says you're half of my sister."


    Since the Pym family is huge, Viv Vision, who is Nadia's great-niece, helpfully explains how Nadia is related to various people.

    when she approaches Billy and his brother Tommy, Viv has a stroke and needs to reboot when she tries to explain how they're related.

    That's how convoluted Billy's origin story is.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Shang Chi and the Very Long Subtitle About Obscure Marvel Lore

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    See, I really like this analogy - because lasagna is a fine dish but a terrible idea to serve in a movie theater. Nine times out of ten you'll end up with a soggy or burned mess that stinks up the place, and is a pale copy of the real thing.
    I agree. Pizza works for Theaters / Movies, Comics can go with something more Baroque* such as Lasagna.

    *Over the top detail, overly ornate, that is excessive and boggles the mind, much like some of the Cathedral designs, or something you may see in the French Court prior to the revolution with what a person was wearing in order to show off.

    I would argue MCU Movies, and to a lesser extent marvel comics since the 2000s influenced by Brian Michael Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man are more Rocco** than Baroque [irregular pearl]. The Roco period came after the Baroque. Rococo was still extravagant but far more streamline, more practical. Ultimate Spider-Man was designed as if you were adopting a movie to a comic, or vice versa how you would write a comic if the goal was adapting it into a movie.

    -----

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    now a child emperor. are they just trying to live up to their inheritance of the marvel name from Billy Batson?
    That Child Emperor (Teddy Altman, short for Theodore Rufus "Teddy" Altman, short for Dorrek the 8th, with Theodore the Greek word being similar to the skrull name Dorrek) is my baby and I will defend him. He is Golden Retriever, a himbo not as being dumb but as a Kind "Guile-less" person who wants what is best for everyone.

    He was made by a Gay Man (Allan Heinberg) who was lighting the tv on fire in the 90s and 00s. The Naked Truth, Party Of Five, Sex And The City, Gilmore Girls, The O.C., Grey's Anatomy, Looking, Scandal (He did not create all of these, but he collaborated with them. He was hired to make characters relatable as a writer and producer and find an emotional line where he wanted the people to sympathize with him.)

    Well Allan Heinberg created a 16 year old Dork who did not know of his ancestry until he got involved, not of his own volition by two different factions who were looking for the missing kid. Then his mom died. It is no different than King Arthur and how Arthur in many mythologies was raised as a Page boy and did not know his ancestry, he was merely the boy Wart.



    Teddy merely thought he was a gay 16 year old mutant till he found out his heritage. He is now around 20, and he still eats cereal off his magic sword as the lord intended.

    Spoiler: Links to a single 2019 image
    Show



    Note this is not unique to Teddy with the 2005 Young Avengers. The promos of 4 of the 8 characters for the first team seem to apply they have Avengers lineage connections but they are all wrong. The audience was meant to think Hulkling must be connected to Bruce Banner and not see the misdirect that Teddy is son of Captain MarVell and a Skrull princess from a 1970s story. So on and so on.

    I brought up the fact that Allen Heinberg created the Young Avengers, he was a gay man, and all his 90s and 00s success to illustrate he was at the top of the world and that he walked away from far more money to do Young Avengers in 2005 for it was a passion project. Representation matters. People are more familiar with Allen Heinberg recently for he did the screenplay for the 2017 Wonder Woman. Only a fellow dork would write such a corny line like this

    Wonder Woman : They're everything you say they are. But they're capable of so much more.
    Ares : Lies! They do not deserve your protection!
    Wonder Woman : It's not about deserve, it's about what you believe. And I believe in love.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2014

    mad Re: Shang Chi and the Very Long Subtitle About Obscure Marvel Lore

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Techcnailyl there's no child "Emporer."

    Xandra's a girl, so she'd accurately be an Empress.

    And Teddy is a grown-ass-man. The plan to hide him from potential assassins was "go back in time and raise him on Earth starting several years ago. Raise him as human. Nobody will ever think to look there."
    You left out the bit where Dylan didnít actually bond to any symbiotes because he canít and thatís part of his powerset. For shame!

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Shang Chi and the Very Long Subtitle About Obscure Marvel Lore

    Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    You left out the bit where Dylan didnít actually bond to any symbiotes because he canít and thatís part of his powerset. For shame!
    Completly honest, I had a brain fart and thought that Raz was referring to Brenden, the current host of Toxin.

    Whose dad is an Alchemex security guard who hates Symbiotes and doesn't see anything wrong with his bosses replacing a man's organs and bone marrow with the same from a brood ForScience!

    ...The hell is Liz Allen doing? This is her company but they are doing all kinds of super illegal stuff under her nose that she'd be legally liable for.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •