New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Theory on Odin's argument for not ending the world

Odin's given reason for his "No" vote for strip #1000 is "I see worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn." Now I think it's obvious at this point that "worlds within worlds" refers to the fact that inside the rift there's a whole planet. My guess is that this is an echo of the original world (or the original world if it wasn't truly destroyed), which was created by 4 pantheons and is thus just as "real" as the Snarl, which the Snarl has recreated out of something akin to respect. What's more, I don't think the creatures that attacked Laurin and the people that have died to the rifts (except Kraggor) were necessarily "the" snarl, but spawns of the snarl which wound creatures out of its primordial yarn to live in that world. I think it would be thematically appropriate if at the end of all this after all the upcoming twists and reveals, if the final goal somehow shifts from "seal the rifts" to "find a way to communicate with and make peace with the Snarl creatures (if they exist)". I'm almost certainly wrong but it's fun to think about.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Theory on Odin's argument for not ending the world

Actually the idea of the world in the rift being the original 4 quiddity world.. could work pretty well!! Fun to think about certainly!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Patterned_Pike View Post
    Odin's given reason for his "No" vote for strip #1000 is "I see worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn." Now I think it's obvious at this point that "worlds within worlds" refers to the fact that inside the rift there's a whole planet. My guess is that this is an echo of the original world (or the original world if it wasn't truly destroyed), which was created by 4 pantheons and is thus just as "real" as the Snarl, which the Snarl has recreated out of something akin to respect. What's more, I don't think the creatures that attacked Laurin and the people that have died to the rifts (except Kraggor) were necessarily "the" snarl, but spawns of the snarl which wound creatures out of its primordial yarn to live in that world. I think it would be thematically appropriate if at the end of all this after all the upcoming twists and reveals, if the final goal somehow shifts from "seal the rifts" to "find a way to communicate with and make peace with the Snarl creatures (if they exist)". I'm almost certainly wrong but it's fun to think about.
    There's a problem that Odin was also quite baffled by Durkon's comment about a planet inside the rift.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    There's a problem that Odin was also quite baffled by Durkon's comment about a planet inside the rift.
    That can be explained by the fact that Odin has "good days and bad days" when it comes to remembering things.
    A student by vocation, a D&Der by avocation (a wizard by evocation).

Order of the Stick Trivia XXIII: 50% More Entertaining than Speculating About MitD!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You know, Odin being senile here reminds me of how he is introduced in Sandman. As he waits for his crows, Thought qnd Memory, to return to him he just sits completely still unable to form a single thought or recall a single thing.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantiumBhuka View Post
    That can be explained by the fact that Odin has "good days and bad days" when it comes to remembering things.
    Heh. It would be fun if he had some sort of Reversed Oracle thing going on; that is, he remembers everything except for his prophecies
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

The gods saw the Snarl destroy the world and everything on it. I've not seen any theory to adequately explain that away besides "they misunderstood what happened".
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    The gods saw the Snarl destroy the world and everything on it. I've not seen any theory to adequately explain that away besides "they misunderstood what happened".
    My thought was that they saw the Snarl slay all living creatures as it completely engulfed the world, but maybe it didn't truly unravel the world, just engulfed it and incorporated it, perhaps literally, perhaps in a more metaphysical way. Perhaps the Snarl remembers all the planets it has devoured, and with nothing to lash out at, the Snarl is building its own planet, and populating it using the matter and soul energy it takes from consuming the world that the gods don't destroy in time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    While his known issues could potentially explain this away, I'll be honest here and admit I forgot about that line.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Patterned_Pike View Post
    My thought was that they saw the Snarl slay all living creatures as it completely engulfed the world, but maybe it didn't truly unravel the world, just engulfed it and incorporated it, perhaps literally, perhaps in a more metaphysical way. Perhaps the Snarl remembers all the planets it has devoured, and with nothing to lash out at, the Snarl is building its own planet, and populating it using the matter and soul energy it takes from consuming the world that the gods don't destroy in time.
    Yarn winding yarn...