New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default The Midsummer Nightmare!

You see the headlines and know each of these stories are somehow aimed at the community of dissidents, agitators, and dropouts that you all come from, service, or rely on.

The Eye-Spy Killer claims Benjamin Flex!

Plague of Nightmares!

Outbreak of unexplained comas beseige city!

Xenian and Human Stevedore unions in negotiations for tandem strike!

You each find yourself at a coffee shop in the shadow of Perdido Street Station, brought together by a common thought: Something must be done. Somehow, these are all our problems, specifically, to solve.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Midsummer Nightmare!

Cerkhan's stomach growled as he sat in the cafe, looking longingly at the coffee. He was Hungry and while coffee could never satiate him it could take the edge of. Unfortunately he had used the last of his coin on bribing that sleezy captain to keep his mouth shop about Cerkhans travel destination.

He would have to admit to himself that it wasn't as easy as he thought to find ethically sourced food in New Crobozun. Certainly, Crobozun drew in scum from all over Bas-Lag but it had been surpridingly difficult to filter through them. He hoped that this upcoming meeting would give him some more information on potential ethical targets.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Radical Heilar

Heilar walks into the place, her antennae waving to pick up the scents of the place. "Coffee, extra sweet", she jots on her chalkboard and waits for the waitress to nod before moving further in.
    Looking around, she sits down next to vagrant. "Hungry?", she writes to him.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Perception +12, Initiative +8*. AC 27*, Touch 25*, FF 19, CMD 21*|Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +12|HP: 59/59

Maneuvers Granted: Ghostwalk, Lance of Power. Readied: Energy Jolt, Energy Spark, Arcane Shield, Eldritch Shield. Animus Pool: 0. Active Element: Air. *Stance: Elemental Flux (+2d6 electricity damage, +4 initiative, +4 [dodge] to AC).
    Semper ludens.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quentin's eyes shifted from his book back into his now empty mug of coffee. He had lost count of how many he had drunk by this point today, but he was certain it was at least eight. Stacks of books surrounded him on the corner table he had chosen to try and do some research. Dozens of books about plague and magical curses. All of them proved useless to him so far. Why did it have to be some demonic plague that erupted the moment he decided it was time to start changing things in this city. He was good at two things, reading about people and talking to people. Neither of which did much good in the present situation. He sighed, taking a step away from his table for a moment to gather his thoughts and glance at the assorted people beginning to wander in.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Beatrice already sits at the table with Cerkhan when Heilar enters the coffee shop. Her attention focuses on Heilar, though she tries to hide her observations to not draw attention to herself. There were many dangers in this group gathering, both internal and external. Despite the trust she has built with the group over time and with a great distance between them, her meeting them in person for the first time is the near ideal time for a trap and betrayal.

Beatrice is still waiting for her first coffee.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-04-21 at 11:52 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

One could tell from a casual passing glance towards the youth that Dusty was not a normal person. Though impossible to narrow the respective human population into a normal group, Dusty was for certain less human than his compeers. For one his left hand was a malformed, black claw, like that of a crab. It radiated malice, and passersby sometimes heard it whisper. Of course, it wasn't the claw that was speaking; it was his shadow.

The thing pulsated and vibrated with each step, moving in a direction that didn't correlate with how the light was supposed to work. Dusty entered the small shop with a sheepish expression, and his disgusting hand-appendage deep inside his coat, though the impression it made underneath made it obvious he was hiding something. His shadow phased through the door first, surveying the scene before letting Dusty know in a whisper that it was safe inside.

He entered with an aloof expression. Dusty didn't know much of what was going on, but he wanted to help.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The golden eyes under the hood softens. 'Thirsty', Cerkhan replies as he gestures to the writing that the kind soul put on the chalkboard. He then reaces down and pulls the inside of his pockets out, showing that he is broke.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Autumn stepped into the bar, she eyes the Khepri, visibly shaken, and sits away from Heilar. Sitting next to Dusty the outline of some unnatural appendage concealed by his cloak. Unnatural, what a strange thought. Who is natural these days anyways, definitely not I. She watched a small spider vanish into her own shadow, one more recruit for the legion. Every one else sleep well, she joked with the others at the bar.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2021-04-21 at 01:47 PM.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

"So what's the recent news with the strike?" Cerkhan asked once people had settled: "Are we expecting violent retaliations if the strike goes through?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Radical Heilar

"YES!", she writes in response to Cerkhan, and nods vigorously. She gestures from her head to his.
    Spoiler: Cerkhan
    Show
    Thought-sent: "There will certainly be violence. The powers that be will not permit even a modicum of freedom from oppressive labor."

Show
    Perception +12, Initiative +8*. AC 27*, Touch 25*, FF 19, CMD 21*|Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +12|HP: 59/59

Maneuvers Granted: Ghostwalk, Lance of Power. Readied: Energy Jolt, Energy Spark, Arcane Shield, Eldritch Shield. Animus Pool: 0. Active Element: Air. *Stance: Elemental Flux (+2d6 electricity damage, +4 initiative, +4 [dodge] to AC).
    Semper ludens.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

She dramatically sighs when Cerkhan shows he has no money. Three copper coins gets slipped out from a pouch on her belt and placed on the table in front of Cerkhan. A copper coin was nothing to her. The sigh wasn't about the money. She didn't want the undo reputation for being poor, but being generous is a negative trait too. She signs to Heilar, "We've still getting our drinks. Do you want something?"

She says in a soft tone to Cerkhan, "Violence was always expected." She tells the foreigner, "These organizations, " aka unions, "are illegal in New Crobuzon. The stevedore had to know what they were getting into by threatening to strike. The militia can't ignore the threat of the port shutting down, and the idea itself is going to get a nasty response from the city. Heads are going to get cracked."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The books say a cup of coffee costs 1 copper! That's three coffees :V

I do not know what a copper coin would be. I know a Brass Shekel is a gold. Slightly funny. Brass is already a copper alloy.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"Where from?" Cerkhan asks the bugman: "Where do we need to be to stop it? Bodyguarding the spokespeople or a more preemptive approach?"

Cerkhan snatches the coins almost before they hit the table and is up by the counter immediately after. Once he returns with a coffee he slumps down into the chair visibly more relaxed than before. "Thanks Beatrice, I owe you a life debt or two of that."

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Knowledge(Local) to see if Cerkhan have learned anything in his preparations that would help him figure out where/when the unions is likely to first need the most firepower. (1d20+1)[8]
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-04-21 at 12:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Beatrice says in a harsh hushed tone to Cerkhan, "Watch what you say!"

She says to Heilar, "He isn't from the city and does not know the laws yet. I'll set him straight. Forget you ever heard anything." Her words carry a threat. She doesn't know this Khepri and doesn't want to get harassed, or worse, by the militia.

She scowls at Cerkhan, "Your life is worth more than some copper. I prefer an honest gesture, but forget it since it was only some measly coin."

Show
    Sense Motive on Heilar for a social hunch
    (1d20+9)[11]
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-04-21 at 01:19 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Radical Heilar

Heilar hisses angrily at Beatrice's admonition. She gestures clearly to the rest of the table: "Man in uniform. Self-fornication".

She turns to Beatrice and signs: "Thank you for signing. I am hostile to the militia".

Show

Semper ludens.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Unable to get a good read on Heilar, Beatrice carefully watches her until she sees the eagerness and truthfulness in Heilar's hate for the militia. Beatrice laughs. "Well, aren't you a strange one?" She signs, "Please, sit and have a talk with us." She speaks as she signs, "Please, have a seat."

She introduces herself, "I am Beatrice." She gestures to the man she was sitting with, "This is my acquaintance," and leaves him to introduce himself in case he wants to give a fake identity.

She signs, "My own preference. I prefer to sign, but I do not mind reading if you need to write to everyone."

"My acquaintance is quite eager. Passion burns brightly these days but risks burning itself out."

Show
    Bluff 20
    Beatrice is a false identify, but she lives as Beatrice nearly 24/7. Beatrice would not consider this a lie. I'll leave it up to you if you want to sense motive.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-04-21 at 03:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Dusty can barely keep track of all these names and organizational identities. He barely had time to read the posters up on the wall, and his shadow buddy didn't give him much information about the meet. He sees the camaraderie around the table diminish rather quickly and flinches at all the harsh exchanges. Eventually, he just let out a small, confused,

"W-what?"
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quentin smiles to himself for a moment despite the chaos. This was the type of thing he knew how to deal with . . . ostensibly. "There seems to be a gathering of the usual rabble. No offence meant and I include myself in that group. There seems to be a bit of confusion on to what the hell is going on so allow me to clarify at least the little I know.

Quen clears his throat before continuing. "There have been a number of killings recently in the area, most recently Benjamin Flex known for being one of the only reporters in this hell-hole of a city that actually reports some truth on occasion and is willing to talk ill of our government. The shipping unions have been actually working together for once and are of course being shut down for that. This child seems to feel like defending their mistreatment in one of the worst shops in the city to do so." . He looks down at Beatrice My apologizes, miss, if I misrepresent you. Finally we have a blasted demon plague of nightmares and eternal sleep that threatens to destroy our very existence.

He pauses for a moment. "Please tell me if I missed anything, if us fools are going to do anything about this we can at least be informed.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Autumn blinks a few times, she clearly sat at the wrong table and is not nearly drunk enough for this. She stands up and moves to the other side of the person with the clearly unusual appendage. Bartender, I need to get drunk. Preferably in as few drinks as possible.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2021-04-21 at 10:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Beatrice quiets down as the strangers are on route. She was specifically looking out for trouble and rats, and a rat approaches her.

She scowls at Quen when he says he had been listening to their conversation. Others eavesdropping was exactly what she was trying to avoid. "You did well to apologize preemptively." She does not accept his pseudo-apology. "You must be used to making bad assumptions about people you have never met. Perhaps, if you listened to your mother you would know better than eavesdropping on stranger's conversations." At least, this stranger claims his beliefs are not that different than hers. He could be trying to goad out a concession. He seems the type to work for the militia.

She coldly asks Quen, "Who are you?"

Show
    Sense Motive on Quen for a social hunch
    (1d20+9)[15]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quentin smiles and gives an exaggerated bow to Beatrice. "Quentin Young, recent graduate from University of New Crobuzon. I'm tired of way this city is being run and this is usually a good place to find like minded individuals. That is until you come in and start singing the militia's praises to everyone with an ear left to listen."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

She scrunches a cheek when Quentin says he graduated from The University and seems to be re-evaluating him. "You study Thaumaturgy?" She quizzes him by asking him a question. "How many Thuams does it take to create a a 12.57 Lumens' Veil-hex?" The correct answer won't make her trust him anymore, but she wants to see the skill of the University of New Crobuzon.

Beatrice believes Quentin since he is telling the truth. She speaks softly, "You sound like you would fit well at this table. Have a seat if you want. And, keep your voice down. I may not want trouble with the militia, but I'm not one to get walled over. You will find my praises are few and far between."

Show
    The spellcraft DC is 20! Feel free to take 10 to auto succeed! DC 20 is a hard question. 12.57 lumens is the exact lumen measurement of the standardized candle! Beatrice is basically asking how much energy it takes to create a candle-bright veil (shadow) hex. If you don't want to make up the answer, she'd accept ~0.838 thuams.

Would Young be famous enough for a knowledge check? Has he ever appeared in a paper? A real shame Beatrice missed her hunch check again xD It's almost a 50/50 to make it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quentin's smile fades somewhat as he realizes he clearly wasn't listening as well as he thought he had. Well he was supposed to be good at talking to people, that doesn't mean he always is. He'd not done so outside of formal settings as often as he'd liked. He quickly moves to take a seat. "I studied a variety of things, primarily Mesmerism and politics. Though also logic, debate, history, that sort of thing. Not Thaumaturgy though. I'm afraid to admit I don't even really comprehend what your question itself means, let alone the answer."

Show
    Not even remotely notable enough for a knowledge check, he understands theory, but this meeting is meant to be one of the first times he has actually started to try to take action.
    Last edited by DevotedPaladin; 2021-04-21 at 09:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Beatrice was trying to be discrete as well, so him half hearing her makes perfect sense considering the environment.

She smiles when Quentin says his study subjects. "You'd make the perfect politician. You could have all the money you'd ever need with those skills. Why would you throw all that away to help people you don't even know?" That question would normally be asked out of suspicion, but she is genuinely curious what would motivates the 'perfect' politician to side with commoners. "If you don't mind me asking?"

She will accept her coffee cup from a barista and sip at the coffee.

She introduces herself, "Ah, how rude of me. I am Beatrice. It's a fine day to meet you, Young." She asks, "Do you go by Young or would you prefer to be called something else?"

Show
    The characters have been talking for a while! I'd allow you to use diplomacy on Beatrice if you want! I did notice you have a very nice diplomacy skill.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-04-21 at 10:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Autumn gives the correct answer to Beatrice's question and explains it well enough. She understood that she shouldn't know the answer, but that was magic for you. Barkeep that drink please, I am too sober for this. Finally with a drink in hand she pounds it desperate to forget the events of her last dream, and the last few nights. However she lets out a few coughs and hacks with the practice of some one having their first drink. Sorry, I just want to forget the nightmares.

Spoiler: Arcana Check
    Show

Autumn has +16 knowledge arcana and can take 10 for a total of +26. I assume that is enough to be correct. If not I can redo the post.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Beatrice raises her voice so Autumn can hear her at the bar, "Well said! That's exactly right. Where did you receive your education?" It was always curious where people were education. Beatrice was homeschooled, so she never went to any public or private school. Maybe, that's why: where people learned always interests her so much.

She keeps her voice raised, "Pledged by nightmares, Ms.? I have heard stories. How long have you been affected?"

Show
    That's plenty arcana!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I was actually going to declarethat it was a made-up trick question, but I like the RP too much frome the assumption it had a real answer. As my firstGM said, always work with your players!

To be sure, i am following this threadvwith interest, but i think it is best i go a little longer before making something happen. Feel free to ask any questionsby DMbor tge OoC thread!
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2021-04-22 at 01:50 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice
    "Your life is worth more than some copper. I prefer an honest gesture, but forget it since it was only some measly coin."
    Sure, Cerkhan's life was worth more than a few cobbers but when he was talking about a life debt he hadn't been referring to his life.

He had been contend just savoring in the black magic but now the conversation seemed to drift a little too far adrift. "So about that potential strike. If an unlucky soul did want to help the unions out, who should one talk to?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Upon hearing her ask about his name Quentin quickly responds. "Typically I prefer to go by Quentin or Quen. By you can call me Young if you prefer, so many do these days." Quentin's smile begins to return as he revels in his own joke for a moment before souring somewhat as he prepared to answer the rest of her question. "I'm guessing your own studies have been as lapse on politics as my were on Thaumaturgy. Else you would know that "perfect politician" is a contradicton of terms, most of all applied to someone who openly admits to having studied how to alter others' minds. Helping people was the aim of my studies. There was never going to be any money in my sort of politics anyway."
    Turning to Cerkhan "I imagine if we went to the port and poked around abit it wouldn't be to hard to ask the unions themselves what aid they need. Going straight to the source is likely better than idle speculation. "

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Autumn's memories were all still much to in place for her tastes, and the tastes of the strong booze didn't agree with her any more than the memories. She continued her decline into her own personal depression. "Receive an education, very few are fortunate enough to receive anything in this town. I took my education through a great deal of effort from books, although my practical experience was from a hospital on the other side of town. It has since been shut down."

As Cerkhan starts talking about strikes and joining, she decides to move further down the bar, but sees she is next to a wall. Instead she walks around the group sitting next Heilar on the far side. She'd rather be reminded of nightmares in her head than take real chances of ending up dead.

She signs to Heilar 'This fool has a death wish talking about strikes.'

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Beatrice keeps an eye out for rats and signs of trouble while keeping her voice down to avoid being overheard.

She says to Quen, "Quen is fine." She does not seem to be in the mood for jokes as she does not seem entertained, but she doesn't react negatively either. She furrows her brow. "You are making assumptions again. What is a politician? Scum. Deceitful. Greedy. Necessary. What is the perfect form of crap?" She didn't mean perfect as in good, rather she was referring to the true essence of a thing. "If your goal was really to help others," she means this in the nicest way possible, "you would make a poor politician. You may have the skills, but without the character of a politician you'd be eaten alive. Though, I suspect you knew that since you're at this table, and not in some office pushing paperwork onto others."

She agrees with Quen. "The papers only tell one side of the story. We'd learn a lot more asking around ourselves."

She smirks when Autumn draws closer and turns so she can keep talking to her. "You have a great resolve to teach yourself." She says about herself, "I was tutored at home and never received a public education. I am an inventor by trade." She asks Autumn, "Are you a doctor?"
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-04-22 at 02:39 PM.