New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Homebrew Spell: Mind Fragment

Here's an idea for a spell I had. Would appreciate your thoughts!

Mind Fragment
    9th-level enchantment
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 120 feet
    Components: V, S, M (a small doll made in your likeness, made of precious materials worth at least 500 gp)
    Duration: 24 hours

You form a fragment of your own mind that you implant within one creature you can see within range. An unwilling target must make a Wisdom saving throw, and resists your attempt on a success, causing the spell to end. Until the spell ends, as long as you and the target are on the same plane of existence:

- You and a willing target can communicate telepathically across any distance.

- As an action, you can see through the target’s eyes and hear what it hears, gaining the benefits of any special senses that the target has, until you use an action to return to your own senses. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own senses.

- Whenever you cast a spell, you can cause the spell to be cast from the target instead of yourself.

- As an action, you perceive the target’s thoughts and memories, learning something that the target knows or remembers. While you can focus on learning certain things, the GM determines what specific information you learn.

- As an action, you can take total control of an unwilling target until the start of your next turn. Until then, you decide what actions it takes (including bonus actions and reactions as warranted) and how it moves.

The spell ends early if either you or the target dies, the target is subject to the Break Enchantment effect of dispel good and evil, or you use an action to end it early.
    Last edited by Composer99; 2021-05-02 at 09:51 AM.
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Homebrew Spell: Mind Fragment

What classes is this spell intended for? It seems like probably at least Wizard, but any others?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wizard, possibly bard.

Haven't made my mind up about sorcerer or warlock.

Definitely not cleric or druid.
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Yeah, I think Bard, Warlock, and Wizard makes sense. All three of them get access to feeblemind, for example. On the other hand, the 8th-level telepathy spell and the 5th-level Rary's telepathic bond spell are only available to Wizards, so if that's what its based on then maybe Wizard only makes sense. Sorcerer is probably the last one I'd give it to, but its feasible even if it would be a slight stretch, since they do get access to a few mind spells like psychic scream and detect thoughts.