New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The Bonespear

1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Bonespear

The Bonespear
    Weapon (Spear), Very Rare, Can Be Attuned By A Paladin, Druid, Ranger, Or Cleric

This spear is, supposedly, forged from the fingerbone of a god, or perhaps a godling. It deals 1d8 damage, and has the Versatile (1d10) property, but otherwise acts as a normal +1 spear when wielded by someone not attuned to it.

When attuned to an appropriate person, the Bonespear gains the following properties:

-It deals an additional weapon die to undead
    -The wielder can use an action to restore a spell slot of 3rd level or less. They may do so once, and regain the ability to do so on each midnight.
    -The wielder has resistance to necrotic damage, and cannot have their maximum HP reduced
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-08-09 at 01:17 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: The Bonespear

I like it. Though if Druids and Paladins can attune to it why can’t Rangers? Not a big deal just something that seems odd
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

I love the flavor, items forged out of outlandish materials are my jam, and physically using a god seems somewhat poetic

Maybe I'm not that used to balance items in 5e, but does this weapon sound like it's equivalent to a +3? Aside from the minor issue that by pure RAW I'm not sure it retains the +1 when attuned, adding a damage die is a bit underwhelming IMHO, especially for such a specific rider effect. I wouldn't be averse to change into an automatic crit against undead, something that would benefit most classes that are able to attune it (cleric's divine strike, paladin's smite, ranger's Hunter's Mark if the attunement pool is increased) although for a paladin that might be such a dramatic boost that might cause some problems if the DM had an undead BBEG in mind... Alternatively, it could deal a fixed radiant damage to undead, like 2d8 or 2d10, that might get amplified by a vulnerability.
    (I'd still think that you could change into a +2 weapon when attuned and it wouldn't be that broken, looking at class-specific items and (Wakened) Dragon's Wrath Weapon... but maybe the latter isn't the best point of reference, Fizban has some unhinged stuff)

To conclude, I agree that it wouldn't hurt for Rangers to be able to attune it; while probably not the most effective option, I can totally see a ranger using it to eradicate undead infestations in their favorite terrain.
    I apologize in advance for any grammar and technical language mistake; English is not my mother language.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's see
    -Upped the damage die by 1 die
    -+1 to hit and damage
    -+1d8/1d10 against undead
    -resistance to necrotic/no max hp reduction
    -restore spell slot.

Definitely better than a Frostbrand, but I always considered the Frostbrand weak for a Very Rare. I would say it's weaker than a Dwarven Thrower also a Very Rare. Honestly though, how is this weapon not Legendary, it is literally made from the finger of a deity! There can't be that many items made out of body parts of the gods, gods don't tend to give up body parts easily.

From the perspective of power and fluff, it's a cool weapon and one I would definitely want as a half-caster or full caster.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #5

Added Rangers to the attunement list.

As for why it's not THAT powerful... Couple of in-universe explanations, and then the real reason.

-The myth is false. It's made from bone, not that of a god.
    -Its power slumbers still, and needs a ritual or something else to awaken it fully.
    -The vestige of the god has absorbed much of the spear's power in an attempt to reawaken

-The game this is for doesn't need them to have a Legendary item just yet.

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

" -It deals double its weapon dice to undead"

"It deals an additional weapon damage die to undead". Double has problem (what happens if something else adds a die, or doubles it? By adding, the result is clear.)

Second, the recovery ability; maybe make it a use of Channel Divinity, Wildshape, or when you cast Hunter's Mark not have to concentrate on it? Those are less vanilla than "this is a pearl of power".
    Last edited by Yakk; 2022-08-09 at 01:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    " -It deals double its weapon dice to undead"

"It deals an additional weapon damage die to undead". Double has problem (what happens if something else adds a die, or doubles it? By adding, the result is clear.)

Second, the recovery ability; maybe make it a use of Channel Divinity, Wildshape, or when you cast Hunter's Mark not have to concentrate on it?
    Changed the wording.

I’m good with a slot, though.

Show
    Show

Show