New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Cheapest/Easiest Item to Boost Caster level by 1. (Some Limitations apply)

Got an 11th level Artificer who I plan on casting Wall of Stone with an enormous amount of times to help with some fortress building I plan on doing. If I can boost my caster level to 12th it will add another inch of thickness to the wall from each casting I perform and will significantly cut down on the time required to to what I am doing. Feats are not an option, spell storing item + concurrent infusions is also probably a no go. I am specifically looking for the cheapest magic item that will boost my caster level by 1 with regards specifically to Wall of Stone. (Custom Special Holy Symbols based on the ones already in Complete Champion are also a no-go)
    Last edited by Yogibear41; 2021-04-21 at 02:35 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cheapest/Easiest Item to Boost Caster level by 1. (Some Limitations apply)

don’t artificers have caster level ‘their artificer level +3’? You might already have enough to do it without anything else
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Cheapest/Easiest Item to Boost Caster level by 1. (Some Limitations apply)

Hire someone to cast Create Magic Tattoo?
    Orange Ioun Stone

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Magic tatoo item CL 13 1/day is 9360gp. I don't think you can find much lower.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

If race change is an option Illumians can change their magic words to get +1 caster level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yogibear41 View Post
    I am specifically looking for the cheapest magic item that will boost my caster level by 1 with regards specifically to Wall of Stone.
    well, a scroll of death knell could do it for 150 gp, and a scroll of 13th CL create magic tatoo is only 325 so thats also an option.
    a strand of prayer beads (specifically the karma bead) can do it as well for 45,800 gp or 20,000 for just the karma bead.
    for 75k robe of the archmagi does it as well, but this is starting to get pricey.
    orange ioun stone for 30k was already mentioned i think.
    ring of arcane might for 20k is another option.

if you wanted something more permenant you could try for a 1/day wonderous item of create magic tattoo for 9360 gp. other than that, there aren't a whole lot of items that really do what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    It's not super-clear how many hit points Godzilla should have, but dividing by 256 is usually enough to matter.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

A Drow House Insignia of Death Knell and a steady supply of chickens: 3,300gp +2cp per day. Even if the chicken has fractional hit dice and the 10 minute duration is multiplied, even the 1/8 of a rat x10 min is more than a full minute, easily enough to burn all your castings of Wall of Stone. Not guaranteed to work every day since the target does get a save.

Presumably you would make the item yourself, so you don't need an Evil cleric, but if your DM says that casting [Evil] tag spells on livestock you're stabbing rather than coup de grace-ing is indeed Evil, you may have some alignment shift.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2021-04-23 at 07:47 AM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you can find a Bard with Inspire Spellpower and hire them to sing every time you cast the spell that might be cheaper than Create Magic Tattoo? I'm not sure how much it costs to hire a 5th-level Bard but it might be worth asking your DM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Raislin's Frog would give you a +5 for a mere 1000 gp for 5 rounds.

That'll give you an extra 2 inches. *Zarbon noise in distance*

If you need more castings of WoS per day, just get more.

Yes, the item is just as riddiculous as it sounds, so might get ban-hammered.

Raistlin's Frog: In Betrayal, the mad sorceress/healer Maab uses a magic trinket -- a frog on a pendant. She claims that Raistlin gave it to her many, many years past. Raistlin did indeed present her with the bauble, though where he got it remains a mystery. Once per day, the frog allows the bearer to cast spells at a +5 caster level with respect to range, duration, and so on. The effect lasts for 5 rounds.

The frog was stolen by the sivak draconian Ragh. His companions do not know he possesses the bauble.

Caster Level: 14th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item; Market Price: 1,000 gp; Weight: --.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Terran Brandy drug (Book of Vile Darkness): alchemical +2 CL for 1d20+20 minutes; 500 gp

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    If you can find a Bard with Inspire Spellpower and hire them to sing every time you cast the spell that might be cheaper than Create Magic Tattoo? I'm not sure how much it costs to hire a 5th-level Bard but it might be worth asking your DM.
    This is the winner. You could role play it to cost you nothing.

I mean, what 5th level bard doesn’t want to see the adventures of characters more than twice his level?

After you are done, take him on an adventure, share some loot, get him raised from the dead and send him on his way.