Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Werewolf/Mafia: Yu-Gi-Oh!

Game Play Overview
    (Largely taken from AvatarVecna and altered to fit this game.)

Spoiler: The Basics
    Show
    The game is played in turns that consist of six different phases.
    There's a draw phase, during which time player’s powers refresh and I, the narrator, reveal the resolution of the powers at the previous end phase. The Draw Phase is skipped during the first turn.
    In the same post, the Standby Phase will occur. Additional powers will resolve. In general, Hero powers will resolve in the Standby Phase while Villain powers will resolve in the End Phase.
    There is a Main Phase 1, identical to what in other games is called the Day Phase. During this phase, votes are cast on which players shall be Destroyed. Votes are done in red text. You may change your vote if you wish, in which case, you should edit your previous post and strike-through your previous vote. Generally, a Destroyed Player is Removed from the game, and their role shall be revealed.
    In the Battle Phase, the player with the most votes is Destroyed.
    Then, in Main Phase 2, similar to the more common werewolf game’s Night Phase, power usage is declared, and will resolve, generally, in either the Standby Phase or the Endphase.
    Endphase. Villain powers will resolve, and resolutions will appear in the same post as the next day’s Draw Phase, Standby Phase, and start of Main Phase One.

The game ends when either all Villains have been Destroyed, or victory for the Villains becomes inevitable.

Spoiler: Particulars
    Show

This game will be played mostly on the Giant in the Playground Forums and partially on QuickTopic, where you will report your M2 actions to me.
    This game does not allow PMs. If you wish to have a private conversation with another player (involving the game), reach out to me on your QuickTopic and I will make a new one between you and the person you are contacting, then provide them with the link. Each player may request a maximum of two additional quicktopic threads for private discussion.
    Not all of these roles will be used, I expect. Experienced town members will probably be able to identify the core roles, but outside of that many of these might not make it in – there is no guarantee that Joey will be given precedence over, say, Baby Dragon just because he is a major character.

Hero Roles
    Spoiler: AKA Town
    Show

Lovers: The lovers begin in concert with one another. However, both are Destroyed if one is. Mind Shuffle: On the first turn, during your Main Phase 2: choose one of the lovers to use their ability. The other lover can use no ability this turn. Any effect that targets the lover not chosen instead targets the active lover. Every turn thereafter, switch which Lover is active.
    Pharaoh ____ – Lover: You are bound to the soul of Yugi Moto until you can learn your name and pass on to the afterlife. The two of you share a special bond, and also a body.
    Mirror Force: During your Main Phase 2: Choose one player. In the Standby Phase of the next turn, that player gains the effect: During the battle phase, if this player would be destroyed, a random player who voted for them in the Main Phase One is destroyed instead. This effect lasts until the end of the next battle phase.
    Yugi Moto - Lover: You wished on the Millennium Puzzle for true friendship, and ever since that day your soul has been bound to an Ancient Egyptian Pharaoh. The two of you share a special bond, and also a body.
    Magical Hats: During your Main Phase 2: Choose one player. In the Standby Phase of the next turn, that player gains the effect: Cannot be targeted by card effects. This effect lasts until the next Standby Phase.

Joey Wheeler - Roulette: You’ve come a long way because of the help of Yugi. You will support him no matter what.
    Time Roulette: On your Main Phase 2: Roll a die (d6). During the next standby phase, the die roll resolves. During your next Main Phase 1, your vote counts as a number of votes totaling half the result rolled (rounded down) in the final tally.
    Exchange: If you change sides as a result of a card effect, roll a die on each Main Phase 2. On a result of a 5 or 6, you return to your original team on the next standby phase.

Teá Gardner - Magician of Faith: You never give up on your friends, even after they’re technically dead.
    Dirge of the Lost: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 Destroyed player on your faction’s side. Gain the effects of that player, then perform the cost (targeting) as appropriate. Each character in the game can only be targeted by Dirge of the Lost once after their destruction.

Seto Kaiba - Vigilante: You can overpower this ridiculous magic with technology and brilliance.
    Crush Card Virus: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 Player. Destroy that target during the next Standby Phase.

Ishizu Ishtar - Seer:
    You wield the Millennium Necklace, and can look into the future. Your Role PM only identifies you as “Tombkeeper Ishtar.”
    Swords of Revealing Light: During your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player. Learn that player’s role.

Marik Ishtar - Fool: Once, you despised your Tombkeeper lineage and tried to take over the world as the new Pharaoh. Since then, you’ve decided to redeem yourself, but you’re out of practice being helpful. Your Role PM only identifies you as “Tombkeeper Ishtar.”
    Swords of Concealing Light: During your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player. Receive a random role result as if it were a scry result.

Solomon Moto - Experienced Player: You’ve collected all the best cards in the game, and know it better than anyone.
    Spellbook of Knowledge: On your Main Phase 2: Choose one player. Their effect is boosted depending on their special ability. Once you choose a player, you cannot boost that same player until 2 Standby Phases have passed.

Duke Devlin - Duke: You’re a friend of Yugi’s, but you don’t even really play this game. You mostly play Dungeon Dice Monsters.
    Pfft. Card games? Who plays those? The first time you would be Destroyed, either in battle or by card effects, you are not Destroyed.

Dark Magician - Watcher: You are the Pharoah’s trusted friend and most faithful servant, and are ever vigilant in your task of protecting him.
    Eye of Truth: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player. On your next Standby Phase, learn any player(s) Targeted by that player on the same Main Phase 2.

Dark Magician Girl - Lookout: You are the student of the Dark Magician, and must watch for what he misses.
    Sage’s Stone: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player. On your next Standby Phase, learn any player(s) that targeted them, except yourself, on the same Main Phase 2.

Blue-Eyes White Dragon - Savior: Once, a demure little girl was born in Egypt, and was persecuted for… I don’t think we ever quite learned why. I guess she was just poor? Anyway, within her resided the spirit of a powerful dragon with blue eyes. And when Priest Seto risked his life to keep her safe, she fell into his debt, and turned herself into a trading card to protect his future reincarnation.
    Trade-in: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player. Until the next standby phase, any effects targeting them take effect on you instead. For example, if “Seto Kaiba” would be Destroyed by the effect of “Zorc Necrophades,” and you also targeted “Seto Kaiba,” you are Destroyed instead of “Seto Kaiba.”

Mai Valentine - Observer: You have tuned your senses to give yourself a near-psychic knowledge of your surroundings.
    Elegant Egotist: Each standby phase, you learn which players target you on the previous Main Phase 2.
    Aroma Strategy: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player who has targeted you. On your next standby phase, learn the results (verbatim) that player received when targeting you.

Baby Dragon - Grower: You are just a child, but you know you can grow.
    The Sands of Time: On your Main Phase 2: Add a counter to this card.
    Thousand Dragon: On your Main Phase 2: You can remove three counters from this card, then choose 1 Power listed in the Role Descriptions. Gain it. If you choose a villain power, it resolves in the Standby Phase.

Villain Roles

Spoiler: AKA Mafa/Werewolves
    Show
    Zorc Necrophades - Alpha: Zorc Necrophades, ruler of the Shadow Games, seeks to return the world to its primordial darkness.
    Magic Jammer: You cannot be targeted by card effects (player abilities).
    Tribute to the Doomed: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 Player. In the Endphase, Destroy them. This power passes on to the next villain in the event of its owner’s Destruction, in the order that the roles are listed.
    Yami Bakura - Devil: You are capable of assuming the identity of the mild-mannered Bakura, and infiltrating the circle of friendship.
    Puppet Master: At the start of the game, you learn four hero roles not currently in play.
    Cursed Mirror: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 Player. In the Endphase, learn their role.
    Dark Necrofear - Ghost: You are the Queen of the Netherworld, and the mother of the Cursed Twin Dolls. Destruction cannot keep you from serving Zorc.
    Change of Heart: When you are Destroyed, Target 1 Player. In the Endphase, take control of that target (they become a Villain).
    Diabound - Vortexer: You are the collection of the rage of the slaughtered village of Kul Elna. Your blood is on the Pharoah’s hands.
    Call of the Earthbound: On your Main Phase 2: Target two Players. Any card effect, other than your own, that targets either Player until the next Endphase instead targets the other.

Morphing Jar: ???
    This card will only make it into the game if we get like twenty-five plus players so we'll worry about that if it comes. If that does happen Bakura does not gain Puppet Master.

Player List
    1. AvatarVecna
    2. BatCatHat
    3. Apogee1
    4. CaoimhinTheCape
    5. Elenna
    6. totadileplayz
    7. JeenLeen
    8. rogue_alchemist
    9. Gac3
    10. Book Wombat
    11. Valmark
    12. Murska
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2021-05-05 at 11:54 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    You can trust her to be completely insane; and probably to backstab you.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Werewolf/Mafia: Yu-Gi-Oh!

I'm in, of course.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Nothing currently. Maybe come start one?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

As utterly confusing as my first experience with these games was, it was also quite fun. I'm in.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

In

Let's do it

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

I watched a handful of yu-gi-oh episodes something like 10 to 15 years ago. Not sure that that'll help, but I'm in.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I know literally nothing about yu-gi-oh (it's a trading card game? and also a tv show? that's the extent of my knowledge) but I'm in anyways.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

I'll join.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm also in.
    Played Yugioh as a hobby from my college days through mid-to-late-20s, though I watched the original series until I moved out of home.

I know literally nothing about yu-gi-oh (it's a trading card game? and also a tv show? that's the extent of my knowledge) but I'm in anyways.
    And a manga!
    So, so much murder in that first series of the manga. Much less in the anime. (If I recall correctly, the card game was one of several games in the first year of the manga. And it got some popular following and thus became a good source for money, and the whole franchise shifted towards the card game after that. I reckon the overall plot of the series stayed the same, but just became more card-game-centric instead of "games in general"-centric. This is at least a third-hand telling of the story, so may or may not be accurate.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I've been out for a bit, but I'll try to join in too. The roles are kinda confusing. I watched the show probably 15-20 years ago, but haven't seen much since, not that that matters.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    I've been out for a bit, but I'll try to join in too. The roles are kinda confusing. I watched the show probably 15-20 years ago, but haven't seen much since, not that that matters.
    I've seen maybe one episode of the show 20+ years ago (small kid, big hair and magic cards, I think?) and I found it was easier to understand the roles when I just sort of ignored the fluff and focused on the abilities.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Some questions on Roles making it into the game, to which I realize the answer might be "you do not get to know". The questions essentially sum to "beyond Morphing Jar, are Roles active in the game RNG or dependent on # of players".
    1. If Marik (fool) is in the game, does that mean Ishtar (seer) is in the game? E.g., no fool without a real seer.
    2. Would a certain player count be needed to get Baby Dragon in the game? E.g., enough players that it is likely to get to grow up.

And some specific, but I hope more reasonable, questions:
    3. If Joey changes sides due to Dark Necrofear, then changes sides again due to something strange by someone copying Dark Necrofear's power, would Exchange revert him to this "original, original team" of Town (which he's already on) or back to his just-recent-team of Wolf?
    4a. If someone (call 'em X) targets Mai, and Mai is targeted by Blue Eyes, would Mai learn she was targeted by X and Blue Eyes, or just Blue Eyes? In other words, would Blue Eyes' redirect ability activate first, such that Mai never learns the person who was redirected targeted her?
    4b. If Mai would see both targeting her: if Zorc targets her, would she see that OR would Magic Jammer stop her ability to tell that Zorc targeted her?
    5. With the limited QTs: if the person we QTed with dies, we're still stuck with that QT counting against our 2, right?
    6. Is Tea limited to "activated" abilities? E.g., could she take Duke Devlin's passive "don't die once" power?
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2021-04-22 at 09:04 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I might have missed something in the rules answering this, but is this an all PR game?
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I might have missed something in the rules answering this, but is this an all PR game?
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Some questions on Roles making it into the game, to which I realize the answer might be "you do not get to know". The questions essentially sum to "beyond Morphing Jar, are Roles active in the game RNG or dependent on # of players".
    1. If Marik (fool) is in the game, does that mean Ishtar (seer) is in the game? E.g., no fool without a real seer.
    Not necessarily.

2. Would a certain player count be needed to get Baby Dragon in the game? E.g., enough players that it is likely to get to grow up.
    Who's to say?

And some specific, but I hope more reasonable, questions:
    3. If Joey changes sides due to Dark Necrofear, then changes sides again due to something strange by someone copying Dark Necrofear's power, would Exchange revert him to this "original, original team" of Town (which he's already on) or back to his just-recent-team of Wolf?
    This is... not going to happen. But Joey's original team is the Hero team.

4a. If someone (call 'em X) targets Mai, and Mai is targeted by Blue Eyes, would Mai learn she was targeted by X and Blue Eyes, or just Blue Eyes? In other words, would Blue Eyes' redirect ability activate first, such that Mai never learns the person who was redirected targeted her?
    Trade-In does not change the target. If Dark Magician is watching Bakura, and Bakura targets any character redirected to Blue-Eyes, Dark Magician learns that Bakura targeted the person he intended to learn the role of. In this instance, Mai would see that she was targeted both by the Blue-Eyes player and X.

4b. If Mai would see both targeting her: if Zorc targets her, would she see that OR would Magic Jammer stop her ability to tell that Zorc targeted her?
    Elegant Egotist does not target. Zorc's abilities only block him from being targeted.

5. With the limited QTs: if the person we QTed with dies, we're still stuck with that QT counting against our 2, right?
    Yes.

6. Is Tea limited to "activated" abilities? E.g., could she take Duke Devlin's passive "don't die once" power?

Teá must be able to perform cost (targeting) with the abilities she copies. So she could hypothetically copy Aroma Strategy (if she's feeling really lucky) but not Elegant Egotist or any of the other passives.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2021-04-22 at 12:25 PM.
    Show
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I've still been having trouble understanding the Lovers' powers. Is this a correct translation of the Lovers' power to normal Mafia parlance?

Mirror Force: during Night phase, target a player. If the player would be lynched the next Day, they survive and someone who voted for them dies instead.

Magical Hats: during Night phase, target a player. That player can be targeted this Night by other players, but at the beginning of Day they become immune to targeting for that entire Day and Night

Also, while targeting 'moves' from the inactive Lover to the active (e.g., target Yugi while Pharaoh was active, and Pharaoh is targeted instead), both are vulnerable to the daily Lynch. Correct?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

All of those statements are correct.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Haven't ready anything yet, but I'm in and I choose Kuriboh.

17. - Top - End - #17

I'll join! Seems a bit confusing but that's part of the fun!
    Sorry for not posting anything after the end of the last game, I can be a bit forgetful.
    Rule Number One: Do not steal cookies.

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm glad to see the player count is getting somewhat to our normal amount.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Haven't ready anything yet, but I'm in and I choose Kuriboh.
    gac3, was your avatar on the forums here an excerpt from a Yugioh card at some point?

I might be thinking of a different poster, but I recall someone's looked like... couldn't place the card, but some gray humanoid face and/or arm reaching out. Kinda like Premature Burial's art, but I think some monster card.

19. - Top - End - #19

Indeed, 7 was a bit pitiful.
    Rule Number One: Do not steal cookies.

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be in, too.
    I won an argument with my GM -15/08/2017- (20:32 GMT +1)

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Nothing currently recruiting.

21. - Top - End - #21

gac3, was your avatar on the forums here an excerpt from a Yugioh card at some point?

I might be thinking of a different poster, but I recall someone's looked like... couldn't place the card, but some gray humanoid face and/or arm reaching out. Kinda like Premature Burial's art, but I think some monster card.
    That was not me, interestingly enough. I've never bothered learning how to use non default avatars.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, this is gonna be tough with small numbers. Before you know whether you're gonna be wolves or not, would the players think it'd be fair for the game to have three wolves, one of which is Dark Necrofear?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Don't think so. While Town does have protections it also has the chance to have a Vigilante and a Fool- those have the potential to really screw their faction over. I wouldn't put (potentially) four wolves with 11 players and those conditions.
    I won an argument with my GM -15/08/2017- (20:32 GMT +1)

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Nothing currently recruiting.

24. - Top - End - #24

Planetar

I have to agree with Valmark here. Not to mention lovers, and the one converted will be one of the best players in the game.

Though there is actually a good question what happens if one lover is converted into being a mafia member? Would both be mafia? Or would one be town and one be mafia necessitating that the town member has to side with mafia so that they both still win?
    Last edited by totadileplayz; 2021-05-02 at 11:20 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

HalflingRogueGuy

I agree as well that we don't need such a powerful wolf with only 11 players. but having 3 wolves seems fine, just not with the dark necrofear.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Alright recruitment is closing today and I think I'm dead? My head is too cold for it to be a living head
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Alright recruitment is closing today and I think I'm dead? My head is too cold for it to be a living head
    good thing the world is going to hell in a handbasket, you'll be warm soon! But seriously hope you feel better soon!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Not closed yet though? In.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

29. - Top - End - #29

Planetar

Ok now that wolf set-up looks reasonable.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Not closed yet though? In.
    Glad to have you back Sauron
    Show