New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 35 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

confused OOTS #1232 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1232 - The Discussion Thread

Woo, new comic!

Although, in 999, it seemed you called the god of monsters Fenrir rather than Fenris. I assume theyre intended to be the same?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    New comic is up.
    Love this! I am really seein g the giants quote about Fantasy being useful for how it reflects upon the real world. This may be the best explanation I've seen for privilege.
    Last edited by Skull the Troll; 2021-04-22 at 08:24 AM. Reason: adding thoughts

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I love Minrah, she's great.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh, I never interrogated how much I took the Goblin version of events at face value. It's nice to see another perspective on the thing. Not to mention a divine mea culpa.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Publishing to stop fiddling hits very hard on today, the deadline of my thesis.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Judging from how that discussion went, I think Durkon might need to bring along a couple of Ibram X. Kendi books the next time he Communes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

That last line was hysterical :D

Interesting, I didn't expect Durkon to get a confirmation of the story so quickly.
    I wonder what his next move will be. Honestly I expected some third party to be a mediator.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A shout-out from Thor, yeah Minrah!
    Thanks Giant!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

What does it mean that he made the green ones medium? Are they supposed to be larger than other goblins now, because they look the same size?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Woo, new comic!

Although, in 999, it seemed you called the god of monsters Fenrir rather than Fenris. I assume theyre intended to be the same?
    Yes, historically they've both been used in various translations/contexts. I didn't go back to check which one I had previously picked. Maybe I'll fix it but it's not really wrong per se.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UtahBrian View Post
    What does it mean that he made the green ones medium? Are they supposed to be larger than other goblins now, because they look the same size?
    Green Goblins in DND 3.5 (which this is somewhat based on) are usually Small-Sized.

It has been pointed out a number of times on the board here, so I imagine this is Rich poking fun at it.
    Last edited by Alaris; 2021-04-22 at 08:30 AM.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

In D&D green goblins are small sized, but in OOTS to make them more of a threat the Giant drew them the same size as humans and elves (aka, medium), just a little joke about one of the changes from traditional d&d
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Nice to see the debate answered in the comic - so word of a god is that goblins were not delibrately screwed over (wonder what this means on the whole no gods before the Dark One element).

They are normally small in DnD.

15. - Top - End - #15

SamuraiGuy

So Fenris made the goblins, but they don't worship him any longer? Does Fenris have any opinions on this? Does it make him weaker?

Also, why do the goblins live outside the Northern Pantheon's demesne if a NP god created them?

Anyway, the natural order of things is the stronger eating the weaker, and the entire OOTS universe is built upon that principle. Even vegans are preying upon defenseless plants, and so on. If the entire principle is unavoidable, then the lot of the goblins is more Fenris' design fault than it is of the good gods or the "good" races. I doubt very much Redcloak will buy that argument.

So - what can Durkon say to Redcloak that is persuasive based upon this conversation with Thor? Not much.

Minrah is having a Belkar moment.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

In official 3.5, green goblins are small sized. Fenris/r has houseruled this.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Very much enjoyed the meta humour here.
    Loving the work as always, Giant.
    Huge fan

18. - Top - End - #18

SamuraiGuy

Yes, historically they've both been used in various translations/contexts. I didn't go back to check which one I had previously picked. Maybe I'll fix it but it's not really wrong per se.
    Clearly, the right answer is Fenri. He's Fenri the 8th after 7 previous monster-gods didn't get enough worship.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, who could have guessed that the Dark Ones interpretation of event as presented to Redcloak was inaccurate...

Sarcasm aside this goes way past that, to the point I now have to wonder if the Dark One knows how wrong he is or if this is just him manipulating his clergy.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Holy social commentary (pun intended) I had not expect Durkon to be the one complaining about an injust system, our bearded boy has grown so much.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Very surprised that Redcloak is not essentially right on this. On the other hand, when the Dark One was raised the other gods attempted to convince him that everything was actually fair, and their arguments weren't very convincing. It's possible that Thor is kinda doing the same here, but the vibe I get from this comic is that Thor is being both truthful and accurate.

I dunno, I just think the less right Redcloak is about the goblinoid question, the less of a compelling villain he is. And I'm not sure that's for the best. But still, let's see how this goes - I doubt we've heard the last on this topic.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2021-04-22 at 08:33 AM.
    ungelic is us

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

In D&D goblins are generally Small, but Redcloak and the other goblins are taller than Durkon, even though Dwarves are generally Medium sized. This panel was poking fun at the fact that the strip doesn't quite follow D&D rules. Or at least not the more well known versions.

Spoiler: Size Categories
    Show

Tiny
    Small
    Medium
    Large
    Huge
    Gargantuan

A question I have is regarding the creation of goblins, the "turn order," and what we know about the Quiddities. If only one god (Fenris) is responsible for creating the goblins, are they one-color beings? Or is the process of "taking turns" more complicated than that, and Fenris got to design and make the model of goblins but the other gods had to put power into them to make them "real"?
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Nice to see the debate answered in the comic - so word of a god is that goblins were not delibrately screwed over (wonder what this means on the whole no gods before the Dark One element).
    It means the statement is flat wrong, they did have a god before the Dark One, he just got bored of them and left them hanging.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I like Fenris better personally. But i also like the idea that in-universe they also just genuinely cant remember his name.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    It means the statement is flat wrong, they did have a god before the Dark One, he just got bored of them and left them hanging.
    No, it means a god created them, which we already knew even though we didn't know it was Fenriʀ. It doesn't mean the goblinoids ever worshipped him.

And yes obviously the solution to the Fenrir/Fenris problem is to write it as "Fenriʀ", with a kind of retroflex z transitioning into r.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2021-04-22 at 08:37 AM.
    ungelic is us

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Not necessarily? I don't think every personal creation of a god is set to worshiping them by default. Also it sounds like they've made fantasy goblins before.
    - The Flying Kipper

27. - Top - End - #27

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    In D&D goblins are generally Small, but Redcloak and the other goblins are taller than Durkon, even though Dwarves are generally Medium sized. This panel was poking fun at the fact that the strip doesn't quite follow D&D rules. Or at least not the more well known versions.

Spoiler: Size Categories
    Show

Tiny
    Small
    Medium
    Large
    Huge
    Gargantuan

A question I have is regarding the creation of goblins, the "turn order," and what we know about the Quiddities. If only one god (Fenris) is responsible for creating the goblins, are they one-color beings? Or is the process of "taking turns" more complicated than that, and Fenris got to design and make the model of goblins but the other gods had to put power into them to make them "real"?
    Those are the 5e size categories. 3.5 has more, as you might expect - 9.

[EDIT]: On the quiddities - I think gods have quiddity, mortals do not. The world has 3 quiddities because there are only 3 pantheons left. But dwarves are not yellow quiddity because Thor made them, any more than the goblins are yellow because Fenri made them
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2021-04-22 at 08:40 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Very surprised that Redcloak is not essentially right on this. On the other hand, when the Dark One was raised the other gods attempted to convince him that everything was actually fair, and their arguments weren't very convincing. It's possible that Thor is kinda doing the same here, but the vibe I get from this comic is that Thor is being both truthful and accurate.

I dunno, I just think the less right Redcloak is about the goblinoid question, the less of a compelling villain he is. And I'm not sure that's for the best. But still, let's see how this goes - I doubt we've heard the last on this topic.
    I don't think Thor being truthful about the gods' motives/methods makes Redcloak wrong in any way that really matters. Whether or not they specifically created goblinoids as fodder races, the pantheons still made a universe whose fundamental laws provide material incentives for sapient beings to kill each other, and didn't see structural inequities as a problem worth balancing for. Somebody was almost assuredly going to get the short end of that stick, and whoever it was would have a valid grievance against the gods who set it up so that would happen, even if they left the exact outcome up to chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post

I can see this. It's still true that the goblins were thrown into a disadvantageous position by the twin factors of being created with access to fewer resources and then not receiving the same guidance and help as the other races of their intelligence level.

And it's true that Goblins were created explicitly as monsters, as Fenris is the god of monsters. And as part of the mechanics of this world, monsters do exist for heroes to kill and gain xp. That's accurate.

It's also true that at least some of the gods hate goblins. Don't have the strip number memorized, but one of Thor's illustrative flashbacks has a god dismissively calling the Dark One "that goblin" in a context suggesting that him being a goblin makes negotiating with him beneath that god's dignity.

Redcloak believes

• The goblins were created as monsters
    • Monsters exist as xp farms for the "heroes"
    • The gods have a bias against goblins
    • All of these are contributing factors to the goblins' state as less fortunate in general than other humanoids.

And all of those, as we've just learned, are correct.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Update!

Ooooh, very interesting. I don't have much to say, but I'm excited for what's going to come next. Very intriguing.
    Shh! I'm hiding.