New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 520212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1232 - The Discussion Thread

Nothing in this comic is ever exactly as it appears.

That's one reason why it's so good. :)

And yeah, but knowing that doesn't mean there isn't fault. Significant fault.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thermophille View Post
    Again, the primary issue is Redcloack's stubbornness. Without that I don't think peace would even be terribly difficult.
    And yet the Hatfields and the McCoys are still at it.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #873
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    And yet the Hatfields and the McCoys are still at it.
    Yep, I gather you can buy a ticked and catch the dinner show and of course they were on the TV game show "Family Feud" together.

They stopped actually killing people in 1888 when a bunch were imprisoned and one was hung, but the feud is occasionally lucrative for their distant descendants.

Because people can stop, although in the case of the Hatfields and McCoys it took two state governments to stop them.

4. - Top - End - #874

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    It should be on the humans as well. They should be ready to defend themselves from goblin raids but also be willing to extend aid and offer trade to goblins who are not raiders.
    You don't need to "extend aid and offer trade" to someone, if you're not perpetually driving them into scrublands and swamps so that they 1) can't grow their own food and 2) have nothing worth trading for.

Seriously: The only way goblins can 'deserve' to stop being killed is to grow their own food (which you're preventing them from growing), or have something worth trading for food (which you know they don't have, and will kill them to keep them from getting)? And until they 'deserve' otherwise in your estimation, they should stop trying to get food?

I could imagine this rationalization being offered by the commander of Team Peregrine, because the end result is the same: The only good goblin is a dead goblin.

Edit: Because unlike Thor, I never know when to stop editing.
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2021-04-28 at 03:13 PM.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

5. - Top - End - #875
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    You don't need to "extend aid and offer trade" to someone, if you're not perpetually driving them into scrublands and swamps so that they 1) can't grow their own food and 2) have nothing worth trading for.

Seriously: The only way goblins can 'deserve' to stop being killed is to grow their own food (which you're preventing them from growing), or have something worth trading for food (which you know they don't have, and will kill them to keep them from getting)? And until they 'deserve' otherwise in your estimation, they should stop trying to get food?

I could imagine this rationalization being offered by the commander of Team Peregrine, because the end result is the same: The only good goblin is a dead goblin.

Edit: Because unlike Thor, I never know when to stop editing.
    Who prevented Right Eye from growing food and engaging in peaceful trade again? Because I'm pretty sure his village was doing fine and actively shown to be engaged in peaceful trade with humans until RC and X showed up and put a stop to that.

Who perpetually drove the Hobgoblins into scrublands and swamps where they couldn't grow their own food? They had 30,000 warriors because Azure City and O'Chul did NOT drive them off or attack them, they had a hobgoblin generation of peace. Who put a stop to that? You get three guesses, and guesses that are not RC and X don't count.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

It's fine to treat the goblins as individuals responsible for themselves, but that cuts two ways (three actually, because it counts for the gods too.)

The ones raiding their villages are adventurers, who make up a tiny minority of humans, dwarves, elves etc. 'The humans/elves/dwarves' are not periodically raiding, individuals within those groups are, just like the other way around.

Your average dirt farmer isn't doing any of those things. It's the adventurers that do these things, the people that climb the XP ladder. They're no more representative of their entire species than Redcloak is of his.

This is messy and complicated and realistic, which is why it's good writing. Redcloak has his own blindspots, as when he assumed Durkon's life was privileged and free of struggle.

7. - Top - End - #877

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Who prevented Right Eye from growing food and engaging in peaceful trade again? Because I'm pretty sure his village was doing fine and actively shown to be engaged in peaceful trade with humans until RC and X showed up and put a stop to that.

Who perpetually drove the Hobgoblins into scrublands and swamps where they couldn't grow their own food? They had 30,000 warriors because Azure City and O'Chul did NOT drive them off or attack them, they had a hobgoblin generation of peace. Who put a stop to that? You get three guesses, and guesses that are not RC and X don't count.
    Even if they have nothing else to offer, the goblins can always offer cheap labor. Unskilled labor is quite valuable in medeival agrarian societies. The goblins will always be able to raise new and more unskilled workers faster than humans or dwarves (or especially elves).

Swamps, badlands and so forth are full of monsters in Stickworld, and monsters are themselves valuable commodities. Oona's whole tribe lives off of what they harvest in Monster Hollow. Aren't wizards always going on quests into swamps after rare spell components? So it's not without risk, but goblins in swamps do have things to trade.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Banned

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post

You already wrote this, and a response was already given: they can offer labour.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ganbatte View Post
    You already wrote this, and a response was already given: they can offer labour.
    It still has to be fairly compensated though as well as be respected as autonomous beings.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think we all know there's only one real solution, though Redcloak would most certainly be horrified by it:

1208:12

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CountDVB View Post
    It still has to be fairly compensated though as well as be respected as autonomous beings.
    The dirt market being what it is, I can't imagine that human dirt farmers are fairly compensated or respected by society at large either, but I don't think there are many societies we have seen that would not mistreat the goblins the same way they mistreat their own lower class, at least. And that's (sort of) what Redcliak says he wants.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #882

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The dirt market being what it is, I can't imagine that human dirt farmers are fairly compensated or respected by society at large either, but I don't think there are many societies we have seen that would not mistreat the goblins the same way they mistreat their own lower class, at least. And that's (sort of) what Redcliak says he wants.
    Perhaps true, but being poor is something that can change through work or through luck. There is no way to not be a goblin.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post

I think you missed the part where society in general would deem it okay for a random group of adventurers to entirely eradicate those settlements simply because they were goblin settlements. Heck, O'Chul himself points that out in strip 1227: Most adventurers, if they needed something from a goblin/kobold/troll/etc., would simply kill the goblin and loot the corpse. Yet, if goblins were to do that to human settlements, it would just reinforce their status as monsters that deserve to be killed.
    Last edited by WanderingMist; 2021-04-28 at 06:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    Perhaps true, but being poor is something that can change through work or through luck. There is no way to not be a goblin.
    I mean, polymorph is a thing. So is reincarnate. But yes, your point is understood.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #884
    Banned

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CountDVB View Post
    Naturally.

Pretty sure they're not being attacked because they're goblins but because goblins are perceived as hostile encounters by default, due to a history of hostile goblin encounters.
    Once the practice of "goblin farmers for hire" gets going that perception is bound to change, especially since the guy hiring them wouldn't want them killed for no reason and the goblins could then legitimately use society's law system to prevent such attacks from there on.
    Last edited by Ganbatte; 2021-04-28 at 06:18 PM.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

When I thought the gods deliberate made goblins weak then put them in a position where the only way they could get resources is to take them from others so people could have easy XP with built in excuses to go after it I thought the gods should be the ones to rectify it.
    I believe I was right to believe that explanation until this comic because there was no counter explanation.
    Now I know that the God who made them wanted them to succeed.
    Although I'm willing to bet Fenir's plan was not exactly good for the goblins either but 1/3 of the gods are outright evil and the snarl will destroy everything if to much conflict happens between them compromises had to be made. Also the gods hands are pretty tied at this point.
    Knowing what I know now I believe it is something that needs to be handled 90% by mortals.
    I don't know if the other gods put goblins at a geographic disadvantage for game balance purposes or,
    if Fenir put the goblins in bad territory to make them go after their neighbors stuff or,
    if goblins started out on more equil terms but lost a few wars.
    if the goblins lost a few wars I don't know who started them.
    I believe it really doesn't matter at this point.
    Right now whats going on is some goblins go into human lands kill them and take their stuff.
    This makes humans feel like its okay to go into goblin lands kill them and take their stuff regardless of if these goblins did anything wrong.
    This makes both sides not really care when a member of the other side is killed for their stuff. It also makes both sides work under the assumption that if the other side is in their territory they want to kill them for their stuff.
    I believe another layer of this is the humans/elves in power are intentionally or not making it neigh impossible for goblins to get the resources they need to survive through means and calling it justice when they group punish goblins when some members of the goblin race choose violent solutions to the goblins dilemma.

16. - Top - End - #886

PaladinGuy

I think you missed the part where society in general would deem it okay for a random group of adventurers to entirely eradicate those settlements simply because they were goblin settlements. Heck, O'Chul himself points that out in strip 1227: Most adventurers, if they needed something from a goblin/kobold/troll/etc., would simply kill the goblin and loot the corpse. Yet, if goblins were to do that to human settlements, it would just reinforce their status as monsters that deserve to be killed.
    I note that O-Chul was speaking of trolls, not goblins; troll blood, not gold pieces or something you would loot from a goblin; and "adventurers," not "society in general"; so there are a few caveats to the idea that "O-Chul just confirmed that goblins are routinely murdered just for being goblins and non-goblin society is generally okay with that."

17. - Top - End - #887

I note that O-Chul was speaking of trolls, not goblins; troll blood, not gold pieces or something you would loot from a goblin; and "adventurers," not "society in general"; so there are a few caveats to the idea that "O-Chul just confirmed that goblins are routinely murdered just for being goblins and non-goblin society is generally okay with that."
    O'Chul was speaking of trolls in that specific instance, yes, but the main point was that them being monsters at all made them an acceptable target for murder. Therefore, that statement can be generalized across all sapient monster races, given the evidence we've seen in comic, e.g., the elf commander for goblins, the bounty incident for kobolds, etc.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Banned

BardGirl

O'Chul was speaking of trolls in that specific instance, yes, but the main point was that them being monsters at all made them an acceptable target for murder. Therefore, that statement can be generalized across all sapient monster races, given the evidence we've seen in comic, e.g., the elf commander for goblins, the bounty incident for kobolds, etc.
    Bounty incident?

19. - Top - End - #889

SwashbucklerGuy

Bounty incident?
    When Belkar posted a bounty to get random adventurers to kill a kobold for him during one of the linear guild fights. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0357.html

20. - Top - End - #890

Bounty incident?
    "Getting paid to kill things: Cornerstone of the world economy."

21. - Top - End - #891

PaladinGuy

Only if society really does consider trolls and goblins to be equivalent. Trolls in the monster manual are generally described as more monstrous than goblins (being often described as having no society as such and eating anything they come across). They are also larger (and therefore appear more dangerous), usually Chaotic Evil and less intelligent than a goblin.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

Only if society really does consider trolls and goblins to be equivalent. Trolls in the monster manual are generally described as more monstrous than goblins (being often described as having no society as such and eating anything they come across). They are also larger (and therefore appear more dangerous), usually Chaotic Evil and less intelligent than a goblin.
    The trolls Serini talked about saved her life willingly despite the fact that looting her corpse would be far more materially profitable.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #893

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    The trolls Serini talked about saved her life willingly despite the fact that looting her corpse would be far more materially profitable.
    O-Chul was talking about general attitudes towards trolls, right? Not this specific group of trolls. Obviously these trolls weren't monsters that ate everything smaller than them they came across.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Well, obviously not. But it's heavily implied that most adventurers would just kill trolls(and other "monstrous races") simply because "monsters".

Kill them because they're raiding towns, or starting wars or doing unholy rituals or whatnot, I'm fine with that. But it's no different from humans or other sentient races doing such things either.

The problem is how easy many members of PC races find murder to be an acceptable solution when it comes to "monsters".

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #895

PaladinGuy

Well, obviously not. But it's heavily implied that most adventurers would just kill trolls(and other "monstrous races") simply because "monsters".
    Well that's probably because typical trolls will try to eat anything smaller than them that they come across. In other words, they act like monsters.
    I just think you can't generalize that how society treats trolls is automatically how they will treat other races like goblins.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

What proof do you have that "typical" trolls act like that in OotS? Time and time again OotS deviates greatly from the Monster Manual.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What proof do you have that "typical" trolls act like that in OotS? Time and time again OotS deviates greatly from the Monster Manual.
    I mean, thats fair, but also the more it does that the more it weakens any ability to make commentary on any sort of real world thing. Trolls that dont act at all like D&D trolls do but people just hate them anyway for... no reason at all, really... kind of a weak point.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

What proof do you have that "typical" trolls act like that in OotS?
    We could start by asking how typical trolls act on internet forums. I have seen a lot of different styles, over the years.

Time for a little humor as this thread gets 'oh so serious' again.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-04-28 at 10:49 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically not true. You just need to find a wizard capable of casting 5th level spells.

Or a Druid capable of casting their reincarnation spell, can't remember it's name.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

30. - Top - End - #900
    Banned

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    When Belkar posted a bounty to get random adventurers to kill a kobold for him during one of the linear guild fights. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0357.html
    But that was working as intended, not an incident. Heh.

Kill them because they're raiding towns, or starting wars or doing unholy rituals or whatnot, I'm fine with that. But it's no different from humans or other sentient races doing such things either.

The problem is how easy many members of PC races find murder to be an acceptable solution when it comes to "monsters".
    Probably because most of the time monsters attack them when given the chance.

But until OotS proves that trolls in this world deviate greatly from the standard I'd say it's pretty fair to assume they simply don't and that the standard... stands.
    Otherwise this logic could be applied to literally every entry in the Monster Manual that hasn't been consistently shown, even Xykon's.
    Last edited by Ganbatte; 2021-04-28 at 11:20 PM.