Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Purpose of magical items (+1/+2/+3) in a bounded system with proficiency bonuses?

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    I do agree that D&d should have an equivalent to Charcoal pine resin/fire paper or Gold pine resin/bolt paper.
    I actually didn't think of that, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. Let special/exceptional non-magical items deal with basic upgrades while enchanted items give you serious ones.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Purpose of magical items (+1/+2/+3) in a bounded system with proficiency bonuses?

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel_Kitsune View Post
    The original build I addressed was a Wizard/Monk/Fighter with 8/17/8/15/16/8 and using all their ASIs to get to 8/20/8/20/20/8.

As for your build. Again, Ring and Cloak can't be assumed. Neither can the +3 Plate and Shield. Haste isn't always on. So there goes that +4 from Haste and Durable Magic. So really you're at 27 if you never want to counterspell or react. Otherwise 22.

And no, the talk is about playing a character in a game, not a theory craft for one specific stat.

Side note to another poster, if you Mage Armor it cancels Defensive Style, so good choice if you want another fighting style, but won't give an extra +1
    I originally posted both builds, you chose to pick on the weaker of those builds, and again, its a thread about Magic Items being OP, specifically the post was to show how having them in the build allows you to be untouchable. The point has been proven, I'm not gonna continue answering about this since its going in circles.
    Last edited by Rukelnikov; 2021-04-28 at 08:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    I originally posted both builds, you chose to pick on the weaker of those builds, and again, its a thread about Magic Items being OP, specifically the post was to show how having them in the build allows you to be untouchable. The point has been proven, I'm not gonna continue answering about this since its going in circles.
    Pretty sure the thread was the purpose of the +X items in the current game system with arguments about their use or just folding them into character advancement.

And the point's not really proven when your examples need very specific theory crafting unlikely to show in a real game, or in the case of the FIghter1/Wizard19, a collection of magic items you're not guaranteed to get and a weird scenario where you can play a character that never needs their reaction for anything AND only has something like 3-6 encounters and only one Short Rest per Game day. (Could go higher if you're willing to sacrifice higher level spell slots on Haste, but again, sacrificing more powerful tools just for AC is deliberately using those resources so no argument with rewards)

You have no guarantee you're going to get +3 Armor, Shield, and a Ring and a Cloak. So you're unhittable AC is already down by 8. Take into account that another 4 of your AC is based on always having a certain spell active and another 5 is based on always burning your Reaction on one specific thing. Yeah, it's cool, but it's not this "My AC is just always perfect and so powerful" argument that is being presented.

Your build has a Reliable AC of 22 with a running norm of 26-31.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel_Kitsune View Post
    Pretty sure the thread was the purpose of the +X items in the current game system with arguments about their use or just folding them into character advancement.
    Yup, summed it up perfectly
    Last edited by Nefariis; 2021-04-28 at 10:28 AM.