New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground CXI

Blue everyday. Don't want to optimize "generic edgy class"
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground CXI

Hmmm...does blue mean Incarnum, maybe?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Hmmm...does blue mean Incarnum, maybe?
    Does it? I'll never tell.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Black gets my vote since I have hopes to have figured out what a debt repaid could refer to and it seems to me it would be more black than blue.

5. - Top - End - #95

GnomeWizardGuy

Blue for me

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Speaking of rounds, I'm looking over ingredients for the next round. What do people like most from the following:

• A debt repaid
    • A painful restriction
    • An old reference
    if Watch Detective was “a painful restriction”, then I’m also voting for “a debt repaid” which seems “black” rather than “blue”.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Watch detective was the old reference

I vote for painful restriction, or blue, it feels blue

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

I should clarify, the choices this time are not the same classes as "a painful restriction" or "a debt repaid."
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2021-05-16 at 09:48 AM.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Guys, life has been somewhat hectic and very draining lately. I have 2 entries judged already, but I'm letting you know in advance that I'll probably be a bit late with the full judgement. I'm sorry.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

You're doing us a service, I say worry not about it!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't worry about it; life takes priority. We're all just grateful that you're judging!
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2021-05-16 at 12:44 PM.
    Awards

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Late to the party, a little rusty but put me down as a judge please.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you kindly, and welcome back! The more the merrier.
    Awards

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Guys, life has been somewhat hectic and very draining lately. I have 2 entries judged already, but I'm letting you know in advance that I'll probably be a bit late with the full judgement. I'm sorry.
    “Hectic” seems an understatement, given your location. We hope you and your family are safe and well.

I’m sure we all will understand if you prioritize taking care of other things, and taking your time with judging.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    I should clarify, the choices this time are not the same classes as "a painful restriction" or "a debt repaid."
    So much for my (watch) detective skills.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

2 entries judged, 11 to go. I'm going to have to pickup the pace, but I think I'm getting into the rhythm. I should be able to do one or two a night and surge into the weekend. We'll see how it goes.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

17. - Top - End - #107

GnomeWizardGuy

Hey Judges,

I hope you're doing well (especially H_H_F_F when I saw the news about the cease-fire and was relieved for you)

Just wondering if you think you'll be able to make it in time for the deadline or not ?

Anyhow, enjoy the week-end !

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi! Judge here. I have 5 entries completed, 8 more to go. I anticipate 2 today and could possibly complete and post Saturday evening (my time). Not a lot of time for discussion afterwards but there it is.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    Hey Judges,

I hope you're doing well (especially H_H_F_F when I saw the news about the cease-fire and was relieved for you)

Just wondering if you think you'll be able to make it in time for the deadline or not ?

Anyhow, enjoy the week-end !
    Thanks for thinking of me! Hoping all will be well.

I probably won't make it by the deadline, though I shouldn't be too late, if you'll wait for me.

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

20. - Top - End - #110

Thanks to both of you. Judging 13 entries csn be quite the ordeal.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

We will certainly wait until our judges have finished.
    Awards

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright competitors, it was a long day, I have about a dozen piles of books laying around everywhere, each with 5 or 6 in them. I've checked all 13 out, time to unveil the scores.

Spoiler: General Judging Criteria
    Show

Baseline score is 3, with ad-hoc adjustments up or down. I did my best to be consistent across entries. In accordance with the primary source rules, the description of my ad-hoc adjustments is the primary source, not the sum that I provided. If the sum doesn't match the adjustments, the adjustments are correct.

Power: How do you compare to a "typical" Watch Detective in various scenarios? I'm defining typical as Ranger 10 or Rogue 10 / WD 10. BAB of 14-17, similar power level from class features, etc.

Originality: Did you use an "expected" entry method? Known cheese? Or something unique and flavorful?

Elegance: Qualifying for feats and prestige classes. RAW legal without too many shenanigans. Do dips and other prestige classes offer synergy, or are you just grabbing something to grab it? Does it feel smooth?

UoSI: Qualifying for the SI, quick entry. Using as many skills and class features as possible, and in unique ways, while being self contained. Coop Interrogation with your familiar/companion? Yes! With a different character? Not really.

Semloh Kcolrehs: 12.75
    Spoiler
    Show

Power: 3
    You knew what you were doing going into this. (-1 for all the vows). BAB is about equal to standard entry. But you did squeeze 5th level casting + turning out of the dish(+0.5) Pacifying touch is a decent go-to to shut things down (+0.5) and a way to make the vows work for you.

Originality: 3.5
    Ranger was expected (-0.25), Knight was not. Add in Apostle of Peace and all the codes and vows cuz why not (+0.75). All the things all the time.

Elegance: 4.5 4 (incorrect maths)
    Couple minor nitpicks. Pacifying Touch (Su) - per SRD (Su) is a standard action unless something indicates otherwise, no AoO shenanigans there. Vow of Poverty allows simple weapons, Sap and Greathammer aren't, neither are shield spikes. Carrying around a table isn't very elegant. I ... question your reading on the Touch of Golden Ice feat. It's essentially a contact poison you are applying to your hands, feet, or other unarmed strikes. Unarmed strikes are weapons. (-0.5 for all the above). Legal entries into AoP and qualified for all feats when taken. (+0.5) Urban tracking is a nice feature for a Watch Detective and you have skill ranks to actually use it! (+0.5) There's also elegance in making them break the law to attack you (+0.5), finally have an eyewitness for their dastardly deeds! But don't heal the bruises, you need physical proof.

Use of Secret Ingredient: 2.25
    Pre-req is Track, and you don't have it (-1) (As a DM I would allow the substitution - I gave equal credit elsewhere) . But you took the flavor enhancing Urban Tracking instead (+0.5). ECL 6 entry (+0.5). You didn't really do anything to enhance Disarm(-0.25). The knowledge bonuses are there but you lack ranks, the capstone is otherwise unused (-0.5). I can't help but think you'd rather have more AoP levels, or prestige pally, or really anything but the ingredient.

Brother Hecatfael: 10.75
    Spoiler
    Show

Power: 2
    BAB +4 at 10 and +11 at 20 is a step down (-0.5) You do have a lot going on, let's see, 2nd level vestige access, 1st level divine casting, up to 3 shaped soulmelds (with 2 essentia and 1 available chakra bind in Totem, Hand, or Waist), claws enhanced to +2, and 2nd level maneuvers. And a pet bat (the CR 1/10 version I presume) to help you flank. Yes it's a wide range of available powers to draw from, but you're still limited by actions per round. And, none of your options are very good. (-0.5)

Originality: 4.5
    Well, this is different. No ranger or rogue, 5 different base classes and 2 unusual prestige classes for this. Not quite full marks because I don't really sense a whole-hog commitment to a theme but pretty close. (+1.5)

Elegance: 2
    No ranks in diplomacy makes it hard to qualify for Kensai (-0.5). Justiciar requires skill focus, but you pick it after you take the class, albeit the same level (see DMG p176) (-0.25). I don't think Kensai does what you think it does. You don't get to re-imbue a signature weapon daily, even if it is your claws. There's no mechanic to un-imbue, just continue to enhance what you have. And you get claws or fists, not both. I'll grant you that you can use your natural weapons after a flurry (but not as part of it) ((This is debateable by the way)) but you're now taking a -4 penalty on your natural weapons and your BAB is bad enough already. A lot of your narrative talks about your soulmeld utility but remember you only have 3 at a time, 1 binding, and 2 floating essentia. (-0.25)

Use of Secret Ingredient: 2.25
    ECL 6 entry (+0.5). You didn't max out a single class skill for Watch Detective. (-0.25) You didn't really do anything to enhance Disarm and lack ranks to cooperatively interrogate (-0.5). The knowledge bonuses are there but the capstone is otherwise unused (-0.5).

Varash Cloudwatcher: 13
    Spoiler
    Show

Power: 2.75
    Soulknife and Soulbow are notoriously underwhelming. (-0.5) BAB 14 at level 20 is about standard. But you do have a few tricks to fall back on at lower levels, and Ranged disarm with a merciful arrow shot with you mind seems fun and a decent trick. I guess you just ... shoot everyone in the hand? while in your zen dreamlike state? (+0.25)

Ranger - meh (-0.25). Barbarian? ... okay Soulknife?? Soulbow??? What's going on here? (+1) Primordeal Half-Giant is known cheese, but not the worst (-0.25)

Elegance: 3.5
    The dip for Barb to get untyped +4 to search and spot seems otherwise out of place. (-0.25) (note, barbarian ACFs wolf totem from UA/SRD would have given you track at 5, and another ACF would have traded rage for archery and FE... just saying. Barb5/SK2/SB3 & etc). Not sure what Planar Ranger ACF is really giving you except for... 5 skill ranks you could have gotten later? (-0.25) Legal entries into Soulbow and qualified for all feats when taken. (+0.5) Autohypnosis goes well with the theme so nice pickup. (+0.25) Several interesting feat pickups along the way (+0.25)

Use of Secret Ingredient: 3.25
    ECL 8 entry (+0.25). Disarm synergy detected (+0.25), Subdual damage too (+0.25), and Investigate uses your knowledges (+0.25) - shame you didn't invest more or you might have found a use for the capstone (-0.25). Cooperative Interrogation seems unused too (-0.25). Watch detective doesn't feel like a move Varash regretted.

Sibyll d'Orien: 17.25
    Spoiler
    Show

Power: 3.5
    BAB 6 @10 and 13 @20 is close to standard but a minor debit (-0.25). SA +3d6, 2nd level psionics is about right. 7th level SLA is a definite step up (+0.5) Highly enriched social skills. (+0.25)

Originality: 4
    Rogue is called out as an easy entry to Watch Detective (-0.25), but your psionics was unique here and I frankly didn't see the connection until this entry was published. (+0.5). Excellent refluffing. Ebon Saint and Heir of Siberys aren't exactly great PRCs but it was exciting to see them play a role here (+0.75)

Elegance: 4.75
    Legal entries into prestige classes and qualified for all feats when taken. Very skillfully done, I might add. (+0.75) Astral tracking is a nice score on top of the regular kind (+0.5) Superb feat selection otherwise, great synergy (+0.5). The only thing keeping you from a perfect score in this category was choosing House Orien instead of Tharashk (the House of Inquisitives). No penalty, but no extra credit.

Use of Secret Ingredient: 5
    ECL 6 entry (+0.5). Max ranks in quite a few class skills - and feats and features synergnize around them! (+0.25) Knowledges and a use for the capstone! (+0.5) Yes only two but you USE them. Combat Expertise used to get Improved Feint and qualify for Ebon Saint. (+0.25) Max ranks in bluff but no intimidate means you need a partner but at least can help interrogate (-0) Short PRCs enhance rather than drown out a lackluster secret ingredient, making it clear you're where you want to be (+0.5). No disarm but I don't care, yes, I'm giving a perfect score here.

Murphy Chell: 13.75
    Spoiler
    Show

Power: 4
    BAB 14 is baseline here. Druid level 10 (5th level casting + Urban shape + Companion) is a step up from baseline. (+1)

Nezumi? (+0.25) Druid didn't really lend itself towards the class, but Urban Druid is a nice touch (+0.25).

Elegance: 3.75
    Urban tracking is a nice feature for a Watch Detective and you have skill ranks to actually use it! (+0.5) Scent is great pickup (+0.25) Information network lets you do your thing very quickly (+0.25). Good synergistic feat selection (+0.25) You needed to use 2 feats to pull this off (Skill knowledge and track) but didn't "earn" them back anywhere via free bonus feats, that seems clunky to me. (-0.5)

Use of Secret Ingredient: 2.5
    ECL 6 entry (+0.5) In addition to track, you added flavor enhancing Urban Tracking (+0.5). Taking improved disarm means you used Expertise! (+0.25) You didn't max out a single class skill for Watch Detective. (-0.25) The knowledge bonuses are there but the capstone is otherwise unused (-0.5). I can only assume that with taking more 10 levels of Druid instead of Watch Detective, with the same feat selection, you'd be able to everything you currently can do and more. (-1)

Bertie Sugg: 15
    Spoiler
    Show

Power: 3.75
    BAB 14 is baseline here. Spellthief abilities are about baseline too. However, stealing SLAs from Jeeves and using it to power evasive reflexes means you're nearly never getting touched in combat (+0.5) Other stealth skills enhance spellthief abilities (+0.25)

Originality: 3.75
    Spellthief? And without insane CL stacking from Master?! (+0.25) Stealth base is very cool and unique here. (+0.25) And fun story (+0.25)

Good synergistic feat selection (+0.25), no reliance on questionable rulings or weirdness (+0.25). Very nice use of a familiar here (+0.25)

Use of Secret Ingredient: 3.75
    ECL 8 entry (+0.25). Taking deft strike means you used Expertise! (+0.25) Max ranks in quite a few class skills - and feats and features synergnize around them! (+0.25) You didn't really do anything to enhance Disarm(-0.25). Max ranks in bluff and near max intimidate plus a partner means you can cooperatively interrogate all by yourselves (+0.75) The knowledge bonuses are there but the capstone is otherwise unused (-0.5).

Mitra: 13
    Spoiler
    Show

Power: 2.25
    BAB 6 @10 and 13 @20 is close to standard but a minor debit (-0.25). All the BoED vows #sorrynotsorry (-0.75). You do get Pacifying touch to calm things down (+0.25)

Originality: 4
    Master inquisitive and Dungeonlord were nice touches! (+0.5) Lot's of dreaming in this competition, but worth a small bonus (+0.25). And another AoP? (+0.25)

Elegance: 4
    Legal entries into prestige classes and qualified for all feats when taken. (+0.75). Dungeonlord gives some good synergies to the skills and features of Watch Detective (+0.25).

Use of Secret Ingredient: 2.75
    ECL 6 entry (+0.5) Craft: Painting for profile? Check! (+0.25) You didn't really do anything to enhance Disarm(-0.25). No Bluff or intimidate for co-op interrogation (-0.25). Didn't go anywhere with Combat Expertise. (-0.25) Removed Penalty as essentially one mistake one penalty. The knowledge bonuses are there but the capstone is otherwise unused (-0.5).

Yiana: 15
    Spoiler
    Show

BAB 14 is standard. Nothing earthshattering really drags Yiana down or brings her to the next level. (+0)

Originality:4.25
    The defense attorney angle is pretty nifty (+0.25). Swashbuckler! Marshal! Urban Savant! Jordain Vizier - never even heard of it. (+1)
    Spoiler: Is this Yiana?
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Bender
    Single Female Lawyer
    Fighting for her clients
    Wearing sexy mini skirts
    And being self-reliant

Elegance: 4 3.75 (incorrect maths)
    Legal entries into prestige classes and qualified for all feats when taken. (+0.75) Some of those were pretty painful, 2 ugly feat taxes you don't get back (-0.5). Pulling out some obscuse uses of skills (Bluff, Profession: Barrister) (+0.25) Jordain Vizier Eidetic memory is a nice pickup here (+0.25)

Use of Secret Ingredient: 3.75 4 (adjustment up)
    ECL 8 entry (+0.25). Craft: Painting for profile? Yes please! (+0.25) Max ranks in quite a few class skills - and feats and features synergize around them! (+0.25) Knowledges and a use for the capstone! (+0.5) Max ranks in bluff but no intimidate means you need a partner but at least can help interrogate (-0) You didn't really do anything to enhance Disarm(-0.25), or go anywhere with Combat Expertise. (-0.25) Removed Penalty as essentially one mistake one penalty.

Jack Oni: 15.25
    Spoiler
    Show

Power: 3.75
    BAB 15 is standard. 6th level maneuver with Warblade recovery (+0.25). Scent and Mindsight (+0.5)

Originality: 2.75
    Ranger and Rogue both are expected pre-cursors(-0.5) Hellbred was quite unexpected anywhere near this class - they aren't earning redemption anytime soon with this ingredient (+0.25)

Good synergistic feat selection (+0.25), no reliance on questionable rulings or weirdness (+0.25). Good use of bonus feats to pick things up early (+0.25). 10 levels of base classes to get some synergies is a classic for a reason (+0.25).

Use of Secret Ingredient: 4.75
    ECL 6 entry (+0.5) Investigate uses your knowledges and you use the capstone via Marshal (+0.5). Max Intimidate but low bluff means at least you can tag-team (+0). Maxed skills (+0.25), Disarm (+0.25), Expertise (+0.25) see some play. You did take painting (+0.25) but it gives a bonus to Gather Information, which you have so few ranks in (-0.25).

Father Tei: 15.5
    Spoiler
    Show

Power: 3.5 3.75 (incorrect maths)
    BAB 6 @10 and 12 @20 is close to standard but a minor debit (-0.25). Was wondering when someone would put knowledge devotion to work (+0.25) 4th level casting is above standard (+0.5) Feint + IF + every exotic weapon is a nice boost (+0.25)

Originality: 4.5
    It takes a unique individual to look at Watch Detective and say, "you know what this class needs is some Shiba Protector and Mystic Wanderer." Sprinkle in a dash of Master of Masks and a Cleric entry because why not. (+1.5)

Elegance: 2.75
    Alignment change and middle age are legal but also a little bit of cheese (-0.5) Knowledge devotion requires 5 skill ranks which you don't have at 1st level. And when you swap it you give up the domain power that gives you all knowledges. Should have swapped it later (-0.25) Legal entries into prestige classes and qualified for all other feats when taken. (+0.25) You creatively paid a few taxes along the way (+0.25)

Use of Secret Ingredient: 4.5
    ECL 8 entry (+0.25). Let's see we have Disarm (+0.25), Expertise (+0.25), Painting (+0.25), Knowledges & capstone use via devotion (+0.5), Bluff (but need a partner so +0), Max ranks in quite a few class skills - and feats and features synergnize around them (+0.25). What with all your casting, SLAs, masks, etc, seems like it would be challenging to avoid gathering evidence via magic (Charm person I don't think leads to appropriate consent under the terms of the Rule of Evidence, for example) (-0.25)

Night Owl: 11.75
    Spoiler
    Show

Power: 1.75
    BAB +4 at 10 and +9 at 20 is a big step down (-0.75) And 1st level spells twice? 1st level manifesting? Truespeech? We'll talk about your schtick below, but not much "there" there. (-0.5)

Originality: 5
    You. *Ahem* I. Ummm... I mean, WHAT? How? What! I'll just leave this here. (+2) I think I just failed a will save. This was a lot of fun to read.

Drunken Master requires evasion, which you gave up at Monk 2 (ECL 4) for feign death (-0.25) (you gain it back later at ECL 16). Appear to be missing 1 rank in intimidate for Frostrager (-0.25) ((Maybe from ECL 8 missing skills - were you comatose that whole level?)). There's ... no multiclass penalties and you had to qualify for about 17,000 different things, which aside from the nits picked above you did (+1). And while normally I don't engage with shenanigans, the rules don't say that I can't give an ad-hoc bonus of +0.5 to a drunk owl, and only to a drunk owl. (I need Cold hard proof that I can't!)

Use of Secret Ingredient: 1
    ECL 6 entry (+0.5) 2 levels taken, 8 were not (-2). But my what you did with those 2. You took painting so you can show off the composite sketch (+0.25)! I'll give you credit for (ab)using the heck out of combat expertise (+0.5) I've been penalizing class skills (-0.25), disarm (-0.25), co-op interrogation (-0.25), lack of use of capstone (-0.5). But I think you kinda knew this was part of the deal.

Jonathan Glint: 10.25
    Spoiler
    Show

BAB 15 is standard. Rogue offers some skills, changeling helps disguise, totemist gives some utility, Kharash gives HiPS and ranger wands. Overall seems right in line with a standard entry. No change.

Originality: 3
    Rogue entry is expected (-0.25), only changeling rogue (people probably assumed everyone was going to do it so no one did). Totemist got some play above but I'm not penalizing. Stalker of Kharash is niche and unexpected here. (+0.25) Solid character.

Elegance: 2.5
    You seem to be using racial emulation to take the golden hands substitute levels, but don't get that feat until level 3. (-0.25) Entry into Stalker is eased through creative use of paying the taxes (+0.25). Paying for feats for soulmelds and opening chakras seems wasted when you only have 2 essentia to play around with. (-0.5) No tremendous synergies unless I'm missing something big.

Use of Secret Ingredient: 1.5 1.75 (adjusted)
    Seem to be missing 2 ranks in Search at ECL 5 to qualify for Watch Detective (-0.5) You didn't really do anything to enhance Disarm(-0.25). No Bluff or intimidate for co-op interrogation (-0.25). Didn't go anywhere with Combat Expertise. (-0.25) Removed Penalty as essentially one mistake one penalty. The knowledge bonuses are there but the capstone is otherwise unused (-0.5). Max ranks in quite a few class skills(+0.25). With your feat selection it feels like you should have just gone more totemist rather than watch detective.

Hemlock Nodens14.5
    Spoiler
    Show

Power: 3.25
    BAB 6 @10 and 12 @20 is close to standard but a minor debit (-0.25). Standard Factotum with multiple Font of Inspiration is maybe a step up from Ranger or Rogue (+0.25). Gnome Quickrazor and Iaijutsu Focus is right out of the handbook (+0.25)

Originality: 2.75
    Rogue dip (-0.25). Otherwise this is a bog-standard Factotum, hard to be original with 4 FoI feats (-0.25). I'll give you points for Lucid Dreaming (+0.25) and Dreamtelling (+0.25). Gnome Quickrazor and Iaijutsu Focus is right out of the handbook (-0.25)

There's a certain elegance to simplicity (+0.25). Dreamtelling is simple to get but really pulls this whole build together (+0.5)

Use of Secret Ingredient: 4.5 4.75 (adjusted upwards)
    ECL 6 entry (+0.5) Craft: Painting (+0.25) Max ranks in quite a few class skills (+0.25) Knowledges and a use for the capstone! Repeatedly while dreaming! (+0.5) Max ranks in bluff but no intimidate means you need a partner but at least can help interrogate (-0) You didn't really do anything to enhance Disarm(-0.25). Removed for standardization Expertise -> Feint -> IF -> Surprising Riposte (+0.25)
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2021-05-26 at 04:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Build Class levels Chef Judge 1 Total Place
    Semloh Kcolrehs LG Human Urban Ranger1/Knight4/Watch Detective2/Apostle of Peace2/Watch Detective10/Apostle of Peace5 13.25
    Brother Hecatfael ?? desert kobold totemist 2/monk 1/binder 1/archivist 1/watch detective 3/swordsage 1/watch detective 6/kensai 2/justiciar 2/watch detective 10 10.75
    Varash Cloudwatcher CG Primordial Half-Giant Ranger 2 - Barbarian 1 - Soul Knife 2 - Soulbow 4 - Watch Detective 10 13
    Sibyll d'Orien NG Human, Psychic Rogue 5/Watch Detective 10/Ebon Saint 3/Heir of Siberys 2 17.25
    Murphy Chell LN nezumi urban druid 5/watch detective 2/urban druid 6/watch detective 3/ urban druid 7/ watch detective 4/urban druid 10/watch detective 10 13.75
    Bertie Sugg LN changeling spellthief 10/watch detective 10 15
    Mitra NG air goblin noble 3/master inquisitive 2/watch detective 3/dungeon lord 1/watch detective 5/apostle of peace 2/watch detective 10/dungeon lord 3 13
    Yiana LG human marshal 3/swashbuckler 4/urban savant 2/jordain vizier 1/watch detective 10 15.25
    Father Tei LG>NG middle aged phoenix human cloistered divine magician cleric 2/ human paragon 3/ mystic wanderer 2/ watch detective 10/ shiba protector 1/ master of masks 2 15.25
    Jack Oni LG spirit hellbred ranger 2/rogue 2/warblade 3/watch detective 10/ marshal 3 15.25
    Night Owl LN Unicorn Clan Human Archivist 1/ truenamer 1/ monk 2/ deadly hunter druid 1/ watch detective 2/ psychic warrior 2/ fighter 2/ Drunken Master 1/ Soulknife 1/ Contemplative 1/ feat rogue 2/ frostrager 3/ warchief 1 11.75
    Jonathan Glint ng changeling rogue 3/totemist 2/watch detective 10/stalker of kharash 5 10.25
    Hemlock Nodens Lawful Neutral Human Factotum 5/Watch Detective 2/Feat Rogue 1/Factotum +3/Watch Detective +8 14.5
    The Chair's entry when he finishes it (mystery flavor) The Viscount - - -

Thanks for judging. Updated table. Let me know if I need to adjust totals.
    Last edited by Venger; 2021-05-26 at 04:40 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for judging! Still reading over everything, but thus far it looks great!
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sure there will be some disputes or clarifications, there always are. Any update from the chair on that or on timeline for closing this round? How is my esteemed colleague and fellow judge H_H_F_F doing?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    I'm sure there will be some disputes or clarifications, there always are. Any update from the chair on that or on timeline for closing this round? How is my esteemed colleague and fellow judge H_H_F_F doing?
    5 fully judged so far, but I should be able to make much better progress during the next couple of days. I hope to be done within 72 hours. I'm looking forward to reading your judgement!

My judgments and medals!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    At time of posting, I currently do not have any disputes in my inbox. After our second set of judgements, I'll give a few days for disputes, if any, and then move to the next round where we may reap the wages of our sin.
    Awards

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Funny you should mention disputes, here's one now!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Chell
    Hello Mattie_p (or is it mattie_p ?), thanks for judging!

I feel your judgement of my entry is spot on, only minor nitpick I have is that to other entries you've given a minor bonus for using disarm, but far I can see the only difference between their sinergy and mine is that they take ranged disarm whereas I take improved disarm, shouldn't that be a +0.25?

that's it for the dispute, I've more to say about elegance and OutSI, but they are outside the scope of a dispute and more along the lines of observations/urge to explain myself, so I'll put them behind a spoiler because they aren't meant to be an actual dispute, since it's more something down to preference/subjectivity, and since I'm writing about the disarm minor thing, I might as well send them together shrugs

Spoiler
    Show

On elegance :I was considering the huntsman ACF for the bag of goodies it gives, which would have neated me the track :3 , but I felt it inelegant because I "traded away" wild shape for urban shape, RAI I could clearly lose urban shape for huntsman, but RAW it's "trading the same thing two times" and therefore illegal and I like staying as RAW abiding as possible.
    My initial idea was of using a completely different race and use the urban wild shape as fuel for the Cadv Scent feat and Hawk vision, but I felt that was inelegant because urban shape is not wild shape, but by then I got married to the idea of having scent somehow, if nothing else for the meme factor of using stinking cloud while having scent. the other strong contenders were SS antroanimals, but the cha penalty were arghh

On UotSI : I disagree with the penalty you've given me on UotSI for being druid, putting aside that I wouldn't qualify for improved disarm without the free expertise Watch detective gives :P, I understand the reasoning behind that penalty. I was almost stopping at druid 9 because the information network was what I wanted out of the class, but I disliked taking a random 1 level dip for something "useful" (felt inelegant to me compared to a 10/10 build) eventho going 1(rogue or ranger)/9druid/10 watch detective would have made my life soooo much easier. But I didn't write anythign about it and assuming that I'd rather be a full druid is a fair observation, even if that wasn't my intention at all :D

It's also a bit of a pet peeve I have, about wanting to avoid "obvious entries" as much as possible :)

I also wish I knew 23 ranks in a class skill was a factor, I however very much like to keep the skills I have chosen to put a lot of ranks in as close to each other as possible,
    aka I like 6 skills at 21 more than 3 skills at 19 and 3 skills at 23 :). Personal preference so that's that

I feel like a sleazeball for saying anything, but I guess that fits for a ratty character :D
    Awards

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi Murphy, it's nice to meet you. You can capitalize or not, I'm not picky there. Thanks for the entry. I enjoyed reading all of them and gave me an excuse to pile my books across the living room floor and sit in a beanbag chair for hours on end.

Regarding Disarm, the improved disarm feat requires combat expertise. My intention was to penalize once for (-0.25) for not further enhancing either of these aspects of the Watch Detective, and to credit once if either was further utilized, and to credit twice (totaling +0.5) if both were utilized.

In re-reading my judging, I see that I didn't quite adhere to that for all of the entries. Saturday was a long day and I wanted to get it done on time! But that's no excuse for shoddy judging. By my view, I inappropriately penalized Mitra, Yiana, and Jonathan. Each will receive a +0.25 adjustment in their UoSI scores. Furthermore, Hemlock received both a credit and a debit, I will erase the debit which will result in a +0.25 point adjustment. I will edit the judging above to reflect those at some point.

I will note that I gave you a +0.25 score in UoSI for taking Improved Disarm, and your peer similarly received a +0.25 score for use of Ranged Disarm. Further use of aspects would have received additional credit. So while you don't actually have a score change as a result of this, I'm sure your peers will thank you.

I'll maybe respond a little later to your side note, I gotta run and watch my kid run in outdoor track.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Chart updated accordingly.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition