New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Mortal Kombat (2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    That's a non-trivial if. Tom Cruise was contracted for the entire Dark Universe franchise, after all.
    Yeah, it's a common practice in the industry generally. I've seen fans use the meta-knowledge of a television/movie actor's contract as proof positive that this or that character will return from death/being written off, but it's really not a reliable indicator of anything in terms of how - or if - they're going to be used within that production. It's just how actors and studios typically make contracts at the end of the day.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Yeah, it's a common practice in the industry generally. I've seen fans use the meta-knowledge of a television/movie actor's contract as proof positive that this or that character will return from death/being written off, but it's really not a reliable indicator of anything in terms of how - or if - they're going to be used within that production. It's just how actors and studios typically make contracts at the end of the day.
    Its kind of like reserving a table ahead of time. If I understand it correctly, its contracting the actor to make sure his schedule is clear for if the next movie happens. It would have sucked if Ian McKellen did the first two lotr movies but then was busy working on another project for the third. Yes that sort of thing does happen where actors get replaced (hi rhodey and bruce banner) for various reasons, but its generally to be avoided when possible.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    The entire cast of Rogue One was also contracted for sequels .
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah but the problem there is if the movie will be projected to make enough to make the next two worth filming.
    I think it made enough to warrant a number two, but number three is up in the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    The entire cast of Rogue One was also contracted for sequels .
    But didn't they die?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    But didn't they die?
    thatsthejoke.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #67

I haven't seen this yet. Tell me, did the soundtrack manage to work in any of the songs from the Mortal Kombat album by The Immortals like they did in the last movie?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I haven't seen this yet. Tell me, did the soundtrack manage to work in any of the songs from the Mortal Kombat album by The Immortals like they did in the last movie?
    Unfortunately no.

They do play the main Mortal Kombat theme at one point, but it is a new version rather than the classic industrial / techno.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Unfortunately no.

They do play the main Mortal Kombat theme at one point, but it is a new version rather than the classic industrial / techno.
    And while I like the new one, I was hoping that at least the credits song would be the one we all know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    thatsthejoke.jpeg
    Although, maybe in a flashback?
    Like the sequel of Rogue One is Rogue Two doing another Special Ops.

Like maybe the new group new some of old ones.

11. - Top - End - #71

Pitch Meetings just summed up a LOT of my problems with this movie very efficiently:

But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I found it entertaining but it had some major lore issues. 1st scene was flipping awesome but the rest was kind of a let down from it and some things very very much "wait, didn't he die a few scenes ago?"

Goro and Kung Lau were wasted characters. These guys are amazing, the biggest champions of their respective worlds and these fights are going to be amazing...… and they are chumped out. We spent millions on special effects for this character so she is going to be a bada$$, and shes dead. We are running out of ideas, lets just have a bad guy whose entire personality is "RAHHH!" and he carries a hammer.

Compared to the 1st MK the acting was much better. Not near as stony with goofy facial expressions or as forced. Fight scenes were ok and better than the original in most cases. Special effects were on par with the original despite there being 25 years of tech advancement. Could be more my preference for practical effects than CG effects. As horrible an actress as she was in MK1 I do miss Bridgette Wilson as Sonya despite this new actress looking closer to the original game actress(who is 50 something now and still looks amazing)

Story was far better in the original as was the sound track.

If my sources can be believed, Sub-zero actor was signed for a 5 movie contract so whoever said this felt like a prequal might be on to something.

"I'm Lu Kang, I am searching the world for champions and I found you."-"Wait, you found us? We have been hiking in this desert for days to get to this temple that we already knew the location of." "Yeah but I found you, my mission is complete, Raiden never said I had to go past the front door."--"But we found you."-- "No No, don't get carried away in the details of a silly plot line, I have found you thus I have accomplished my god given mission. Lets go eat so we can taunt the Aussie at the dinner table."-- "Who is preparing the food?"--"Once again, silly details, obviously the catering company."
    Last edited by Corsair14; 2021-05-03 at 09:03 AM.
    PCs are not exceptional. They are normal Joe Shmoes stuck in exceptional circumstances.

13. - Top - End - #73

Goro was indeed wasted.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't mind Nitara getting offed (because why else would you have freaking Nitara in a MK movie but to die messily) but they clearly killed Goro off because keeping him around was too expensive for such a cheap production. All the money went to Goro and Sub-Zero, and Raiden really got the short end of the stick.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yes that sort of thing does happen where actors get replaced (hi rhodey and bruce banner) for various reasons, but its generally to be avoided when possible.
    Wait... well... now, 8 or 10 years later I understand why the Rhodey character suddenly looked like he had a bout with cancer or something in the later movies (lost weight, drawn/skinny face, no hair).

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I don't know why they didn't just make Scorpion the main character. He's probably the easiest to fit into a heroic narrative (which they did anyway for the movie) what with the murdered family and quest for revenge, and from there it would be relatively easy to expand into the lore more gradually, since Scorpion wouldn't need to know more than "Oh, Sub-Zero is in this tournament, you say?".
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    I don't know why they didn't just make Scorpion the main character. He's probably the easiest to fit into a heroic narrative (which they did anyway for the movie) what with the murdered family and quest for revenge, and from there it would be relatively easy to expand into the lore more gradually, since Scorpion wouldn't need to know more than "Oh, Sub-Zero is in this tournament, you say?".
    Exactly. Focus the story around Scorpion, and you have a character with universally sympathetic motivations, and who has neither has any experience with this new modern era nor knows anything about the tournament - perfect audience stand-in. Plus he's already known by the audience to be a badass fighter, so you can skip straight to unlocking his hell powers (I would ditch the goofy arcana thing entirely and just have Sonya and Jax use Special Forces sci-fi tech like they do in the games.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I'll note there is actually an animated movie called Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge. It basically tells the story of the first tournament but largely from Scorpion's perspective. I've joked that it should have been called "MK Legends: Scorpion Does Everything," and you'll see why if you watch the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1vccr3yWBU

It's actually fairly decent, though it seriously under-uses Sub-Zero and Kano ... which is kind of the opposite of what happened in the live-action movie.

I’ll note that Bob Chipman gave it a 6/10 and the live action MK a 3/10.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-05-07 at 10:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Back, back, up, down, back, back, left, and hit the "Crikey" button.
    that sounds like a lifehack.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz