New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Berserk (manga)

Let me put an asterisk on that; it was updating pretty consistently last I read it (the couple of chapters that blue ball you on whether Casca is actually okay, plus the one afterward) but that was a while ago. My brother still brings it up regularly, so I assumed it was still getting updates regularly.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Let me put an asterisk on that; it was updating pretty consistently last I read it (the couple of chapters that blue ball you on whether Casca is actually okay, plus the one afterward) but that was a while ago. My brother still brings it up regularly, so I assumed it was still getting updates regularly.
    At least it is not HunterXHunter, Kurapika has been on a boat for like 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Also not sure what your beef is with the Dresden Files update schedule; Jim Butcher releases books at a fairly fast clip. Unless you just mean it has no end in sight? Serialized, episodic, ongoing?
    He went about 6 years between books before churning the last 2 out in rapid succession. It just worries me that he's lost the passion for finishing them. I've invested in so many series that the author's never end that I just would rather avoid works when there seems to be a good chance they'll fall off.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    He went about 6 years between books before churning the last 2 out in rapid succession. It just worries me that he's lost the passion for finishing them. I've invested in so many series that the author's never end that I just would rather avoid works when there seems to be a good chance they'll fall off.
    From what I'm aware, he took a bit of a break from writing in general because he was going through a pretty bad divorce.

He has a specific number of books planned for the series (22), so there's that.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: end of chapter 363
    Show

Huh, did some googling, I always assumed the so-called Moonlight Boy was the same as the so-called Demon Child. Internet seems to think this isn't necessarily the case.

Anyway, Griffith takes physical form through the Demon Child iirc. Kinda like how Slan had to appear through a bunch of bio junk, can't just use their normal demon body in the human world.

But if so... then with Moonlight Boy on Elf Island, maybe Griffith can just appear there. Griffith's currently "using" Demon Child body, right?

Or maybe Moonlight Boy =/= Demon Child after all.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

6. - Top - End - #36

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Spoiler: end of chapter 363
    Show

Huh, did some googling, I always assumed the so-called Moonlight Boy was the same as the so-called Demon Child. Internet seems to think this isn't necessarily the case.

Anyway, Griffith takes physical form through the Demon Child iirc. Kinda like how Slan had to appear through a bunch of bio junk, can't just use their normal demon body in the human world.

But if so... then with Moonlight Boy on Elf Island, maybe Griffith can just appear there. Griffith's currently "using" Demon Child body, right?

Or maybe Moonlight Boy =/= Demon Child after all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure we can conclusively say how the Moonlight Boy relates to Griffith or the Demon Child. Moonlight Boy only appears during a full moon so it is more likely an astral presence rather than a physical one like the Demon Child was.

I expect Griffith can go to Skellig, but he'd do it by travelling the branches of the world tree, which is what he was off doing when we last saw him.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

The best Manga ever! I just started to catch up. I didn't mind to read some of the spoils 'cause it motivated me to continue reading it.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    The biggest shame about Berserk is that it never got an anime adaptation. If you point to Berserk 2016, I'll note, that's not an anime adaptation, it's a CGI abomination. Old Berserk anime doesn't count either, since it ends at bleakest, darkest Berserk chapter it could end.
    It'd be kind of hard to do right now. The 1998 anime looks great but it also ends at the bleakest chapter. So do the Netflix movies that honestly aren't that bad! ...And the only one that continues the story past that? Doesn't count. Its awful, low budget garbage.

As it stands, they'd be better off waiting until Berserk ends..or is much closer to it before they adapt it.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    As it stands, they'd be better off waiting until Berserk ends..or is much closer to it before they adapt it.
    I mean, they could keep pace with the Manga, but I'm not sure people would enjoy one new episode a year.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just heard the news.

Kentaro Miura, the mangaka for Berserk passed away.

Strangely, one of the inspirations for Berserk, Guin Saga ended up the same way, with the author passing before finishing the story. Gah.
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2021-05-19 at 10:51 PM.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I haven't read Berserk myself but I've always heard great things about Kentaro Miura as a mangaka. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Utterly soul crushing news. My condolences to his family.

...Berserk is such a foundational part of my creative self, one of the very first times I got into a manga series with the intention to read from start to finish. It was on of the things about manga that made me fall in love with manga in middle school, god just typing that made me realize I have been a fan for decades. I love really this series; from the characters, art work, themes to even the world building. I don't think there is really anything I could honestly say I didn't like about it...........it is a masterpiece of its medium

I will never forget what Guts means to me, never forget. Kentaro Miura you were a legend.

.......what I wouldn't give for a crimson beherit right now

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Ugh. This hurts right in the heart.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

That is a huge bummer. Only 54, that's super young. Acute aortic dissection is pretty rare, and insanely lethal. 40% of people who get them just die on the spot, before anything can really be done. 20% of the people who make it to a hospital don't make it. Life is fragile. Hug someone you love.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

Such a shame too because it's usually treatable if you detect the aneurysm before it ruptures, but incredibly deadly if you don't. My specialty is vascular and transplant and we do a ton of these repairs.

Berserk aside, it's always a tragedy when we lose anyone. Especially so young. My thoughts go out to his family.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    That is a huge bummer. Only 54, that's super young.
    Young? At 50 I'd say he's well into his middle age.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Young? At 50 I'd say he's well into his middle age.
    Are you really, seriously, going to argue over and be pedantic about this with someone? I meant that 54 is young relative to the average age to die, not young in the general timeline of their lifespan. The average life expectancy of a Japanese Male is 84 years. I'd say that dying 30 years before the average is dying young. Seriously.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

Damn.

There's not a manga artist I respected more, nor a story I was more invested in.

That's not really adequate: I was invested in Berserk because for all of its fantastic elements it had this emotional reality about trauma and suffering that impacted my life at exactly the right time, and it felt relevant and powerful. The slow, sometimes melancholy rising action of the story really spoke to me.
    Last edited by Yanagi; 2021-05-20 at 05:54 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

..Well this sucks. :( I came on late to the Berserk train and haven't even read all or most of the manga yet but even then...I've heard nothing but good things about the man, his art, and his story. Like this manga helped to DEFINE stories that came after it, not just similar stories but the medium as a whole with a guy that poured his everything into his art.

I hope that he rests well knowing he's touched so many lives.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

This made my day sad. Sadly, his story will never be finished. Some of my favorite pieces of fiction and tropes were inspired by Berserk. At least he made an impact on countless lives and did what he loved. The world lost an amazing creator and at such a young age.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Are you really, seriously, going to argue over and be pedantic about this with someone?
    No. Especially not in this thread. I just find the position that 50 years is young preplexing.

22. - Top - End - #52

I feel defeated. RIP Miura.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Crunchyroll posted their tribute

A lot of people are sharing this conversation from chapter 360.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Knight
    You bear witness to the end of your journey. It is not always a happy thing.
    Is it too late to edit the thread title to reflect Miura's passing?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2021-05-21 at 04:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    A lot of people are sharing this conversation from chapter 360.
    I prefer this quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Guts
    "He died doing what he wanted, no matter what, right? I bet he was happy."
    I feel its more true and optimistic.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Well... we joked about this happening, but that was more cuz we figured he'd finish in a decade or so, not that an aneurysm would get him. Its a shame because he really was a wonderful author and artist and Berserk is as foundational to modern anime and Manga as Dragonball Z was.

I haven't heard anything, but perhaps a Wheel of Time moment could happen? Did he have any close work partners or anyone else who would be privy to his notes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I haven't heard anything, but perhaps a Wheel of Time moment could happen? Did he have any close work partners or anyone else who would be privy to his notes?
    My understanding is that this is a big no no in manga culture. Unless an author/artist specifically told someone 'hey, continue my story if something happens to me' like an apprentice or such, its considered incredibly disrespectful to continue a mangaka's work after their passing.

Best case scenario is he did do that, but the most people should hope for is his crew revealing what was supposed to happen in the story maybe with some sketches to provide closure, but not a full on continuation. That's pure best case scenario.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    My understanding is that this is a big no no in manga culture. Unless an author/artist specifically told someone 'hey, continue my story if something happens to me' like an apprentice or such, its considered incredibly disrespectful to continue a mangaka's work after their passing.

Best case scenario is he did do that, but the most people should hope for is his crew revealing what was supposed to happen in the story maybe with some sketches to provide closure, but not a full on continuation. That's pure best case scenario.
    Well that kinda happened with WoT, with Sanderson having the blessing on Jordan's wife (who was also his editor iirc) and I believe was a personal friend? I don't recall the details.

And I'd be ok with just getting the solid outline of what would happen, just so we can know. It's the man's crowning work and for the story to just end without all of us fans knowing the conclusion would kind of suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

AFAIK he had an unusual legal arrangement with his publishers, going through a personal studio (Studio Gaga) which he founded so that he could hire assistants for longer hours and higher wages than standard. He was also training them to mimic his style (the manga Duranki was practice for this). It's conceivable that they could finish it for him, though I wouldn't expect any news on that front for a while.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Well that kinda happened with WoT, with Sanderson having the blessing on Jordan's wife (who was also his editor iirc) and I believe was a personal friend? I don't recall the details.

And I'd be ok with just getting the solid outline of what would happen, just so we can know. It's the man's crowning work and for the story to just end without all of us fans knowing the conclusion would kind of suck.
    Different cultures, different expectations. Everything I've been hearing is that with his passing, it is incredibly unlikely that Berserk continues on with new volumes and chapters. And even if someone wanted to, Miura's family would be very unlikely to let it happen.

Like I said..the best we can expect for is they might release an outline with the absolute utopian case scenario is his apprentices and staff trying to end the story themselves with the permission of his family.

Its simply a case where manga authors need to finish their stories before this point because people don't just finish someone else's story. I'd honestly prefer that personally even if it would suck not knowing what was going to happen. This isn't like comic books where the story is never meant to end so passing a character on to someone else is the norm.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Is it too late to edit the thread title to reflect Miura's passing?
    I'll do what I can.

Also... if Berserk does go the way of WoT... personally, I'd rather Berserk go unfinished than it be finished with a plummet in quality.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ