New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

Default Re: Berserk (manga)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Well that kinda happened with WoT, with Sanderson having the blessing on Jordan's wife (who was also his editor iirc) and I believe was a personal friend? I don't recall the details.

And I'd be ok with just getting the solid outline of what would happen, just so we can know. It's the man's crowning work and for the story to just end without all of us fans knowing the conclusion would kind of suck.
    And it came out terribly. I'd rather just an outline of what was most likely going to happen than have it Sandersoned.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Berserk (manga) [RIP Miura Kentarou]

If it's his assistants working from his notes it might be worthwhile, but almost certainly weaker. If it's by anybody else I don't think a continuation is worthwhile.

The best case scenario is most likely an outline of Miura's notes combined with concept art. The second best outcome is having it be left as it is, especially if the latest chapter works as an ending (unsatisfying as it is). I'd much, much rather see a third season of the 2016 anime than have somebody else take over such an important work.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    I feel it's more true and optimistic.
    If there is one thing you can say about him, he loved drawing and did what he loved, until the very last moment.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I'll do what I can.

Also... if Berserk does go the way of WoT... personally, I'd rather Berserk go unfinished than it be finished with a plummet in quality.
    Sure, but with WoT as the example, sometimes you can get a talented writer in there and still finish strong.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Sure, but with WoT as the example, sometimes you can get a talented writer in there and still finish strong.
    The only people I know who think Sanderson did a good job with WoT were bigger Sanderson fans than WoT fans. It was absolutely terrible. This isn't really the thread to get into it, but suffice to say that I disagree with your point.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    The only people I know who think Sanderson did a good job with WoT were bigger Sanderson fans than WoT fans. It was absolutely terrible. This isn't really the thread to get into it, but suffice to say that I disagree with your point.
    I'll be honest, I grew up on Wheel of Time and I don't think Jordan was doing a good job either. The books got progressively worse after Lord of Chaos, climaxing with Crossroads of Twilight in which multiple groups simply wander around the woods for 1000 pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

On the one hand, Sanderson was left an unsalvageable situation. On the other, he really didn't even try to match Jordan's style. It was pure Sanderson, IMO for the worse.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    On the one hand, Sanderson was left an unsalvageable situation. On the other, he really didn't even try to match Jordan's style. It was pure Sanderson, IMO for the worse.
    I thought Towers of Midnight was quite good. A Memory of Light was dreadful, but also contained 4 books worth of information because Jordan lied about how much was needed to get to the ending and it was going to be a 15 book series at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I wouldn't mind seeing what his assistants can do. He trained them for a reason. Worst case scenario they make something you can just pretend doesn't exist.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing what his assistants can do. He trained them for a reason. Worst case scenario they make something you can just pretend doesn't exist.
    I like it.

I do wonder how much plot he revealed, whether the assistants would be working in a vacuum (plot-wise, not art-wise, since they were his assistants after all), or if it’d be close to intended.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

11. - Top - End - #71
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    My understanding is that he mostly trained them to do background work and stuff like that in his style. It's not a situation like Jordan where he knew he was going to die and left a bunch of notes or instructions.

Aortic dissections usually strike suddenly and without warning, and if he knew about it the fix is a simple stent placement. It's safe to assume his passing was a surprise.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    My understanding is that he mostly trained them to do background work and stuff like that in his style. It's not a situation like Jordan where he knew he was going to die and left a bunch of notes or instructions.

Aortic dissections usually strike suddenly and without warning, and if he knew about it the fix is a simple stent placement. It's safe to assume his passing was a surprise.
    The big hope in that regard is that apparently Miura was worried he wouldn't finish Berserk before he passed, so he might have prepped them in some regard for this. But he also probably didn't expect an aortic dissection either so again..we can hope for a summary.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

13. - Top - End - #73

I just wanna know...
    1 Does Skull Knight kill Void?
    2 Does Skull Knight die?
    3 Does Guts kill the rest of the Apostles?
    4 Do Guts and Casca end up happily ever after?
    5 What happens to the Idea of Evil?
    6 Does the Eclipse cycle continue?

Man. I need to reread Berserk. I’m sure I’d have a bazillion questions, like with Rickert and Griffith’s city and whatnot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

I just wanna know...
    1 Does Skull Knight kill Void?
    2 Does Skull Knight die?
    3 Does Guts kill the rest of the Apostles?
    4 Do Guts and Casca end up happily ever after?
    5 What happens to the Idea of Evil?
    6 Does the Eclipse cycle continue?

Man. I need to reread Berserk. I’m sure I’d have a bazillion questions, like with Rickert and Griffith’s city and whatnot.
    True. They will never be answered by the author.
    But overall I assume the answers are

1. Yes, eventually.
    2. He already died, he only exists to kill Void.
    3. I'm going to assume no. Due to Brand when they die, they go into Hell.
    4. No. See the Brand.
    5. No idea, my head its endgame is the Idea of Good. Because for someone to be evil, something else needs to be non-Evil.
    6. Who knows.

15. - Top - End - #75

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    5. No idea, my head its endgame is the Idea of Good. Because for someone to be evil, something else needs to be non-Evil.
    I don't think so.

I think the counterbalance to the Idea of Evil is the acceptence of good and evil as parts of the self. The Idea of Evil in Berserk exists because people blamed all the evil things that happened, which were done by humans to humans, on "god". So the unconscious realm responded and created a god whose only function was to do evil to humanity.

Self-acceptance and the acceptance of human connections being positive and their rejection being the cause of suffering is basically Guts' arc.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

And acceptance of flawed self and others could be considered Good.

Basically Idea of Evil, could be working on its own anti-thesis.

17. - Top - End - #77

Rando question. What’s your single favorite scene from Berserk?

For me, it’s when Guts and… to avoid spoiler tags, I’ll say when Guts and the big dude work together to take down the even bigger dude ;)

At least off the top of my head. I need to reread it.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Rando question. What’s your single favorite scene from Berserk?

For me, it’s when Guts and… to avoid spoiler tags, I’ll say when Guts and the big dude work together to take down the even bigger dude ;)

At least off the top of my head. I need to reread it.
    Guts and Serpico fighting. Any time it happens really.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.