New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Captain's shield

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Super simplified, but we should have a piece of Kryptonite. Maybe a handful of pieces, if we got super lucky. But it should be rare as all get out.
    Superman is also supposedly the last survivor of Krypton too, but by the time canon has done with that, we have enough super beings to populate a decently sized world, just out of those who have happened to end up on Earth.

Coincidence in comic books is a helluva thing.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Superman is also supposedly the last survivor of Krypton too, but by the time canon has done with that, we have enough super beings to populate a decently sized world, just out of those who have happened to end up on Earth.

Coincidence in comic books is a helluva thing.
    New storyline idea: humans are actually correct and Earth is the most important planet in the galaxy and everything revolves around it. All things will eventually gravitate towards the Earth. But nobody in the galaxy can figure out why or stop things gravitating towards Earth.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    My assumption about shield physics was that the Shield deflected all of the energy it is hit with, so when it hits a vehicle it makes the vehicle come to a stop at the impact site and so shatters it. If it hits a person they have less energy/momentum so coming to a sudden stop is less lethal (why people flip over when hit like they are cartoon characters.)
    I put this in the wrong conversation by accident, although Falcon And Winter Soldier is a related thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Curse those corporate complications, can’t easily check on Disney+.
    I gather they’ve actually signed an agreement with Sony for Spider-man on Disney+, but Netflix gets access first and even that doesn’t kick in until...I think next year?

Regardless, this is why I buy all the good movies on DVD/Blue Ray. It also saves irritation when the streaming services lose the rights to whatever it was you wanted to watch.

New storyline idea: humans are actually correct and Earth is the most important planet in the galaxy and everything revolves around it. All things will eventually gravitate towards the Earth. But nobody in the galaxy can figure out why or stop things gravitating towards Earth.
    ...Rater didn’t they actually already do something like that with Starbrand?

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    ...Rater didn’t they actually already do something like that with Starbrand?
    Regardless of whether they did or not, I would like to take this opportunity to appreciate that we have someone we can immediately turn to as an authoritative source on comics. Hooray for Rater!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I gather they’ve actually signed an agreement with Sony for Spider-man on Disney+, but Netflix gets access first and even that doesn’t kick in until...I think next year?

Regardless, this is why I buy all the good movies on DVD/Blue Ray. It also saves irritation when the streaming services lose the rights to whatever it was you wanted to watch.
    *cranky old man voice* Why in MY day, we used to chisel the movies onto solid granite tablets, then hire the neighborhood rascals to pick them up and run in front of us really fast....

Seriously though. I just realized I don't even have a DVD/Blu Ray player anymore. And I don't even remember how long its been since I had one. And I remember the days of Blockbuster fondly. I have no idea how much the world has changed while I've been ignorantly whistling my way through it.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    It was only the "rarest" metal on earth because the only people that had it controlled how much got out. Also they just figured out how to harvest more of it. There was a literal mountain of it in Black Panter.
    We will never be able to obtain measurements, and it is a fictional story so it does not matter.

But Vibranium may be more common than Gold in the MCU, just located in one countries area. Depends on math stuff and how much Vibranium is in final products and answering this stuff is Killing Cat Girls.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Back in the early days of Kerbal Space Program, i heard someone reveal a physics lesson that is endlessly useful when applied to other areas: "Heck, even a brick'll fly if you get it going fast enough."

Shield got an edge. Even non-sharpened, it hits with enough force at the wrong place, and it sucks to be you. Even if it doesn't cut a limb off, it could break a bone.

In fact, from what little I've seen of superhero movies in general, the hospitals must be massive.
    Sure, but this is just people tossing it around as a sort of game, from what people have been mentioning, not firing it out of a cannon.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Sure, but this is just people tossing it around as a sort of game, from what people have been mentioning, not firing it out of a cannon.
    If it knocks somebody back several feet, it's probably got some force on it, I'd imagine.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Super simplified, but we should have a piece of Kryptonite. Maybe a handful of pieces, if we got super lucky. But it should be rare as all get out.
    I mean, you take a piece of kryptonite and and break it in half, and you have two pieces of kryptonite. Theres nothing that says the piece we got wasnt the size of one of Saturn's smaller moons or something and it just broke up a lot along the way.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I mean, you take a piece of kryptonite and and break it in half, and you have two pieces of kryptonite. Theres nothing that says the piece we got wasnt the size of one of Saturn's smaller moons or something and it just broke up a lot along the way.
    Sure there is. One piece breaks into two along the way. The two pieces, by necessity, move away from each other at whatever rate you like. After a long enough time span, there will be an enormous distance between the two.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

So I thought the shield flying through the air was a factor of captains strength. When did it become a thing anyone could do? It makes him through in the thing somehow.. less impressive.
    Welcome to comic books (and comic book movies). Every writer and every story can and often does change, retcon, or re-explain how things work in order to allow something cool happen in their own story. Cap is just a "peak condition human", later Cap can stop a helicopter and run faster than cars. Sometimes he has a tough time fighting well trained normies, sometimes he can fight Thanos. Any character can become almost anything, and only sometimes will they try to explain why things are different now. The point is, isn't it cool to see Sam using both the wings and the shield? It's super awesome. So its gonna happen.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Colossus in the Playground

That is canon.

That is canon in Marvel and in DC.

Not for the same reason, but there's a reason why both companies distinguish different realities in their multiverses by calling them "Earth" with number or descriptions attached to it.

I'm not sure what it' the case in the DC universe, but in the Marvel Universe it's because the Florida Everglades is where the Nexus of All Realities is located so everything astrologically close to that is more or less the same across universes(In astrological terms, so details can be highly variable)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    That is canon.

That is canon in Marvel and in DC.

Not for the same reason, but there's a reason why both companies distinguish different realities in their multiverses by calling them "Earth" with number or descriptions attached to it.

I'm not sure what it' the case in the DC universe, but in the Marvel Universe it's because the Florida Everglades is where the Nexus of All Realities is located so everything astrologically close to that is more or less the same across universes(In astrological terms, so details can be highly variable)
    I think in DC it has to do with the white lantern entity.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    There has been numerous other explanations throughout the years, such as the Space Robot God, a Celestial dying here years ago and this impacting the ecological nature of Earth. Years being a long time ago. I do not remember the details but it was a Jason Aaron invention so my eyebrow is raised.

[ There is numerous more, you are probably more familiar with all of them with Rater202 than me, my point here is the story explanation is always in flux. I prefer a John Milton explanation, who cares why this spec is organized this way, it need not be the center of the universe, it merely is. ]
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Ramza00
    There has been numerous other explanations throughout the years….
    Can’t remember whether it was Marvel or DC, but long ago one of them had the explanation that Earth was near a major hyperspace nexus, so it was both a strategic location and a natural endpoint for all manner of interstellar drifters, opportunists, and random invading forces.

And at one point, possibly way back in X-Men, a low-level alien researcher put all the pieces together and realized Earth had an astonishing track record of punching way above its weight when it came to galactic threats, but he was vaporized for interrupting his superiors and they never received his warning about their latest invasion plans.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    In Civil War, Steve throws the shield at a cop with enough force that the shield buries itself halfway into a wall after it rebounds. Note that it is an outside wall in a German appartment building (there's a window right next to the shield), which are made from concrete. If the shield has that much energy left after transferring most of it on the first impact, whichever bone the shield hits should be shattered beyond repair. Hitting the chest or head should be lethal; hitting any limb most likely requires amputation to save the cop's life. Note that it must have transferred energy to the cop, because that's what is throwing off the cop's aim; otherwise throwing the shield would be useless. It makes Steve's warning to Bucky not to kill anyone a few minutes earlier quite hypocritical, but that's very much in line with his behavior throughout the whole movie.

*whistles nonchalantly and starts to dig graves for the cat girls*
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

18. - Top - End - #78
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    In Civil War, Steve throws the shield at a cop with enough force that the shield buries itself halfway into a wall after it rebounds. Note that it is an outside wall in a German appartment building (there's a window right next to the shield), which are made from concrete. If the shield has that much energy left after transferring most of it on the first impact, whichever bone the shield hits should be shattered beyond repair. Hitting the chest or head should be lethal; hitting any limb most likely requires amputation to save the cop's life. Note that it must have transferred energy to the cop, because that's what is throwing off the cop's aim; otherwise throwing the shield would be useless. It makes Steve's warning to Bucky not to kill anyone a few minutes earlier quite hypocritical, but that's very much in line with his behavior throughout the whole movie.

*whistles nonchalantly and starts to dig graves for the cat girls*
    Everyone knows that one arc-edge of Cap's shield is lined with polyethylene nerf foam. He hit the cop with that edge, thus knocking his aim off without harming him, but it was the arc-edge of sharpened vibranium that impacted in the concrete wall. Duh. God, learn something about history.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post
    Everyone knows that one arc-edge of Cap's shield is lined with polyethylene nerf foam. He hit the cop with that edge, thus knocking his aim off without harming him, but it was the arc-edge of sharpened vibranium that impacted in the concrete wall. Duh. God, learn something about history.
    My favorite part of this reply is that it's not engineering or biographical research but history that needs reinforcing.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Banned

Kobold

My favorite part of this reply is that it's not engineering or biographical research but history that needs reinforcing.
    Exactly, when Alexander Hamilton financed creation of the shield and Ben Franklin and Nicolas Stark Nee Telsa built the thing, it was a proud moment of American history.
    Last edited by Gallowglass; 2021-04-27 at 10:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Please. We all know what George Washington used to chop down that cherry tree...
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Please. We all know what George Washington used to chop down that cherry tree...
    Yes. The sharpened vibranium arc-edge. but NOT the polyethene nerf foam arc edge. It's simple dendrology.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

The shield might be magical after all, considering how suspicious its comuc book backstory is.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone considered Cap has the Stones. He could have used one of them to repair the shield himself. Eh.. that's it. I will say thats Canon and leave it that. Cap used a infinity stone to fix the shield and make it working that
    The reality stone?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Well...

Earth is the most important place in the Universe. Because everyone in the universe suffered the Snap, and the energy wave was universally trackable to Earth.

Twice.

There is literally a big universal targeting bullseye on our galaxy. On our sector.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Well...

Earth is the most important place in the Universe. Because everyone in the universe suffered the Snap, and the energy wave was universally trackable to Earth.

Twice.

There is literally a big universal targeting bullseye on our galaxy. On our sector.
    Three times

I'm assuming Iron Man's snap was of big enough impact...but if Thanos' forces were just the one shipload, perhaps not.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

27. - Top - End - #87
    Spamalot in the Playground

So I thought the shield flying through the air was a factor of captains strength. When did it become a thing anyone could do? It makes him through in the thing somehow.. less impressive.
    Anyone can throw it, yeah. And peak human can, say, embed it in a tree.

Only supersoldiers+ (or technological/mystical equivalent) can, say, embed it in a concrete wall or solid steel etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Well...

Twice.

Even before that happened, there's definitely something special about MCU Earth/humanity. Ego could only birth another Celestial here (and he tried lots of other places), the Eternals are apparently going to show up here, and I doubt most other planets have something like a Sorcerer Supreme or Scarlet Witch etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Three times

I'm assuming Iron Man's snap was of big enough impact...but if Thanos' forces were just the one shipload, perhaps not.

- M
    The third snap (destroying the stones) didn't happen on Earth actually, it took place on... 0259? That planet Rocket and Nebula found him on, The Garden, not sure it had a real name.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The third snap (destroying the stones) didn't happen on Earth actually, it took place on... 0259? That planet Rocket and Nebula found him on, The Garden, not sure it had a real name.
    There were still three snaps on Earth, though:

1.) Thanos snaps and erases half of all life.
    2.) The Hulk snaps and restores half of all life.
    3.) Iron Man snaps and erases Thanos and his army.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post

Derp, forgot to count Iron Man's mea culpa.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post

It is unclear if the Iron Man snap would impact the entire universe