New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default What's your background music/audio?

For me, I've recently been listening to video game/anime OST while I work, even though I will likely never play or watch them. So far on my rewatch (relisten, I guess) list is:

Games:
    Celeste
    Octopath Traveler
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Into the Breach
    Faster Than Light
    Gris
    Unravel 2

Anime:
    Tower of God
    Made in Abyss (I did watch this one, and the music is absolutely amazing!)
    Mushishi

I have no idea if the quality of these games/shows are good or not (I haven't even heard of them until I came across the OST!) but their music sure is.

What do you have playing for your background audio?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What's your background music/audio?

Mozart's sacred music in the morning; I switch to folk and Jimmy Buffett in the afternoon.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Honestly? Just "My Mix" on YouTube; randomly selects songs based on what I've liked before. When it starts getting inconsistent, I reset it or switch over to a Favorites list I built.

At the moment the mix consists of a lot of Miracle of Sound, Fallout Boy, Voltaire, and 3doorsdown.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-04-26 at 03:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by understatement
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    Excellent choices, really beautiful music.

I tried Octopath Traveler and just couldn’t get into it. Might try again at some point.

Originally Posted by understatement
    What do you have playing for your background audio?
    When I absolutely, positively have to get some cleaning done, “Bridge of Khazad-Dum” makes it happen.

For late-night work deadlines, I rely on The Hu and Blue Monday to get it done, with a little help from Avengers Portals and the Guardians theme.

Also, there's a channel with some really nice instrumental covers of certain recent movie themes, including a fun crossover.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Cranewives, Caravan Palace, and other sort of 'just indie enough to be different but not too out there' stuff.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

I`m just finding some playlist for gaming on Spotify and listening to it.
    If you can’t be good, be careful.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    The Cranewives, Caravan Palace, and other sort of 'just indie enough to be different but not too out there' stuff.
    Are the Cranewives a Decemberists cover band, or inspired by them? "The Crane Wife" is a great album, Decemberists are one of the only indie bands I listen to on the reg.

My background music is a huge playlist of mostly prog metal of various sorts, 70's hard rock and prog rock. Of course there's some classic 80s style metal in there, too, some of the big thrash albums, also Maiden and Dio.

Right now it's mainly Opeth, Symphony X, Ayreon and everything else by Arjen A Lucassen, a bit of Symphonic and power metal from Epica, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Kamelot.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Are the Cranewives a Decemberists cover band, or inspired by them? "The Crane Wife" is a great album, Decemberists are one of the only indie bands I listen to on the reg.

My background music is a huge playlist of mostly prog metal of various sorts, 70's hard rock and prog rock. Of course there's some classic 80s style metal in there, too, some of the big thrash albums, also Maiden and Dio.

Right now it's mainly Opeth, Symphony X, Ayreon and everything else by Arjen A Lucassen, a bit of Symphonic and power metal from Epica, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Kamelot.
    Southern-gothic, while the Decemberists take more of a northern-Atlantic set of inspirations. So while the later has album-long sea shanties about revenge, the former sounds consistently like a lost track from the Oh Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack. "Crane Wife" is an old old old timey slang term.

and hey their channel has officially licensed videos so I can link

Spoiler
    Show
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Southern-gothic, while the Decemberists take more of a northern-Atlantic set of inspirations. So while the later has album-long sea shanties about revenge, the former sounds consistently like a lost track from the Oh Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack. "Crane Wife" is an old old old timey slang term.

and hey their channel has officially licensed videos so I can link

Spoiler
    Show
    Sounds like the sort of indie-folk I'd probably enjoy. Be fair, though, Mariner's Revenge Song is only like 8-9 min long lol. I'm a prog guy, anything less than 15 min is not really very long. ;)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

My go to list is:

Foundation soundtrack - very pleasant, calm, good for background at work. Keeps me focused nicely.

Conan the Barbarian - the music ebbs and flows well and has a pleasant sound.

Tron Legacy - when in mood for Daft Punk orchestrals, I pick this one.

Rebel Galaxy (Dark Country) - a bit of rock, a bit of blues, a lot of dark country.

Determination by RichaadEB- the rock brother to Undertale soundtrack.

There are others, but this one usually suffices.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Thumbs down Re: What's your background music/audio?

Law & Order is always good for me. Right now I'm in a Star Trek kick, I've been going between Voyager, Enterprise, and DS9 more or less randomly. Back in the day when The Office was on Netflix, that was the go-to for my wife and me, now hers is The Good Place.

All of these also fall into the "background noise to fall asleep to" categories.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Excellent choices, really beautiful music.

I tried Octopath Traveler and just couldn’t get into it. Might try again at some point.
    When I first heard the OST for Ori I legitimately thought they were full movie soundtracks. They were just that good. Tossup between "Shriek and Ori" and "Fleeing Kuro."

Also listening to Game of Thrones soundtrack, because no matter how bad the ending was the music is always impeccable. Legend of Korra is on my repeat playlist as well.

Listened to the Crypt of the Necrodancer. For such a rad title, the songs are extremely boring.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

I was into shanties before it was cool #notahipster.

More seriously, I mostly just find whatever kind of music I'm craving on Youtube and if I'm not looking for something in particular I listen to whatever I've been listening to for the last couple of days or anything interesting that comes up in my recommended list.

I have a rather broad taste in music and it actually irks me when people dismiss one genre of music out of hand. There are individual artists I don't care for(usually people who are over-produced or who have obnoxious personality traits) but even then I'm willing to admit it when they do something good.

At this exact moment, my background music is Robot Rock by Daft Punk, because I got the sudden craving for it while typing this.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-04-29 at 01:58 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I used to just play whatever while I did stuff, but a lot of the music I used to listen to were upbeat anime tracks that distracted me from reading things. now I'm starting to use lofi pokemon mixes instead for background music, helps me focus.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-04-29 at 02:14 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Just recently I've come across someone who goes by Fox Sailor, with music that could be described as light epic. Distantly related to 2SFH, but more sprightly and wistful. Enjoyable for background music while cleaning and sorting.

16. - Top - End - #16