New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Did the goblins worship Fenris? Or at the very least acknowledged him?

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    The term you're looking for is monolatry (and it's apparently quite common in the Stickverse).
    It's typically called henotheism if you think the god you worship is also the most powerful god.

Goblins presumably do not think TDO is the most powerful god so monolatry is correct, and is a new word to me also.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2021-04-28 at 09:14 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Did the goblins worship Fenris? Or at the very least acknowledged him?

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    yay, I learned a useful new word today, Thanks!
    A related term is henotheism, that is, the worship of several deities but with one above the others. Usually because their domain is the most relevant to the worshipper's everyday life, such as a sea god for a fisherman.

Durkon and his family, for example seem henotheists to me, as in, they worship all the Northern Gods (Hel excepted, or maybe in a "worshipped against sense), but Thor most of all.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

(In the strict sense, henotheism describes arrangements where there is a kind of hierarchy and the „Hen” is considered an overdeity or at the very least, one of objectively higher rank than the others, so I'm not sure the thing with dwarves and Thor fits.)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    (In the strict sense, henotheism describes arrangements where there is a kind of hierarchy and the „Hen” is considered an overdeity or at the very least, one of objectively higher rank than the others, so I'm not sure the thing with dwarves and Thor fits.)
    Heh, I'm not an expert, that's just how I recall the word being explained to me.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I'm not an expert
    Come, now. Here, on the Wall this forum Everyone's an Expert!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Hm, is there no RPS (Race Protective Services)in the Astral Plane in the case of a negligent deity?
    There seems to be more Neutral and Evil outsiders than there are Good. For an Evil God, discarding followers who have failed is par for the course. For certain takes on neutrality, it would fall under survival-of-the-fittest. A Good deity would care for the inherent dignity of the lives of it's creations. But the Goblins weren't created by a Good deity.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2021-04-28 at 11:26 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    But the Goblins weren't created by a Good deity.
    But if I read how humans are, and how they are aligned, the OoTS gods seem to have all created humans as a joint project since humans are and can be of any and every alignment.

Not sure if that goes for elves or dwarves, since I think they have a 'preferred' or 'most likely' alignment in the Monster Manual, right?

Taking this idea one step further, it points to the suboptimal race having to be the humans - since they were built by committee. (And there sits the fruit pie sorcerer, weeping in the corner ...) They eventually overcame their initial handicap, I guess (can't see in the dark, don't live for hundreds of years, no stone cunning, etc)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-04-28 at 01:50 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society