New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Chlorine Trifluoride: what color does it burn?

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark's [I]Ignition[/I]
    It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that’s the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals-steel, copper, aluminium, etc.-because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.
    Describing Chlorine Trifluoride, one of the most flammable substances known, a better oxidizer than pure oxygen, able to instantaneously ignite sand, water, ashes and pretty much anything that we normally think of as fireproof.

But what color is it? The fire that forms when this substance burns? Is it like ordinary fire or does fluorine and/or chlorine color the flame?

Because I cannot for the life of me find out what color it burns.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Chlorine Trifluoride: what color does it burn?

It's a pretty poor quality video, unfortunately, but this is showing the result of putting the stuff on various things--from what I can tell, it seems to mostly be a yellowish-white flame, although I possibly saw a green tint at one point that I'm not sure of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4l56AfUTnQ

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Chlorine Trifluoride: what color does it burn?

IIRC thencolor of a flame generally depends on the fuel and the temperature, so you'd have to answer that as well before an answer could be given
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)