New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Question Will the Giant ever publish Thran as a roleplay setting?

I understand it was just a design exercise, but the results had a lot of potential as a fun setting to play in. On this forum I screwed around with different rule sets for implementing it, but overall it seems like a project that should be fulfilled by its originator rather than a random forum-ite.

Will there be (ever) a move in that direction? I would vote for Barbarians of Lemuria as a good system for implementing the setting.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Will the Giant ever publish Thran as a roleplay setting?

I don't think the Giant often answers questions on the forum, maybe you should try submitting it to one of his Patreon question thingies?

Personally, I'd guess it's very unlikely but that answer is about 99.2 percent personal gut feeling so don't take it too seriously.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

At this point, I would not expect The Giant to produce any non-OOTS content until after OOTS has ended (and not likely for a while after that).
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

As part of a mid 2000's agreement between Rich and the WotC, Thran may never be published for money so long as Wizards continues to exist. Wizards bought the option to publish Thran when they were considering making it an official setting, but instead decided to publish Eberron. They have never released that option.
    Non est salvatori salvator,
    neque defensori dominus,
    nec pater nec mater,
    nihil supernum.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hypothetically he could release a knockoff that's largely the same but with all the names and other brand identity changed
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncymancer View Post
    As part of a mid 2000's agreement between Rich and the WotC, Thran may never be published for money so long as Wizards continues to exist. Wizards bought the option to publish Thran when they were considering making it an official setting, but instead decided to publish Eberron. They have never released that option.
    Thran isn't the setting that Rich submitted for the contest; it's the one he was making for the "New World" series of articles that used to be on the site. The WotC-sealed contest submission is a different property.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jinjitsu View Post
    Thran isn't the setting that Rich submitted for the contest; it's the one he was making for the "New World" series of articles that used to be on the site. The WotC-sealed contest submission is a different property.
    Then I suspect that he might potentially start work on it again after OotS has wrapped up in a couple of years (or so). But as part of the point of the articles was advice on (D&D) campaign setting building I wouldn't be surprised if we get the existing articles plus one or two more reformatted instead of a full campaign setting book.

Although it's also worth noting that Thran isn't for any 'current' RPGs, and d20 Modern doesn't really maintain a strong fanbase in the easy that 3.X does. It's a pretty make reason why he might limit it to just continuing the articles if he continues it at all.

But Thran is over a decade old at this point. If Rich is like any of the other creatives I know, or even me with my homebrew, he probably doesn't have an overly fond view of it. It doesn't have to be hate, it could just be that he's not interested in that kind of world anymore, But theres likely elements he'd want to salvage if he wrote another setting, I'm b guessing that the Gnome focus and Sun/Moon religion might survive.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Come to think of it, is there any way to access those articles on worldbuilding and such on the current forum? I remember them being useful for my own campaign setting, a while back.

I mean, I guess I could use Wayback, but that seems needlessly complicated if they're still here somewhere.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    Come to think of it, is there any way to access those articles on worldbuilding and such on the current forum? I remember them being useful for my own campaign setting, a while back.

I mean, I guess I could use Wayback, but that seems needlessly complicated if they're still here somewhere.
    They were taken away during a site update a few years ago, and AFAIK their return in some other fashion is planned but still pending.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.