New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Second Darkness [Shadow in the Sky] (IC)

The party gets back to Kwava and Saul.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozlech

Seeing Kwava and Saul still there, Ozzy greets Kwava as the group approaches, ”We’re back! Nothing of note happened while we were gone I hope?”

3. - Top - End - #273

"You've been gone a couple hours. Were I a shorter-lived race," says the elf, "I might have gotten impatient."
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rodriguez walks over to Kwava and shoots a glance at Saul.”Sorry for the wait, but we did find something of interest. Has Saul woken up yet?

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Eric seems surprised.

"Hours ? We simply visited a few rooms !"
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

6. - Top - End - #276

"Time flies when you're having fun?" says Sol by way of explanation to Kwava, shrugging his shoulders.

Kwava shakes his head in response to Saul waking up.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With Saul still unconscious, Visto will kneel down and check him thoroughly to make sure he's alive and perform whatever first aid might be needed to help him wake back up.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

8. - Top - End - #278

In doing first aid on Saul, Visto realizes that he is comatose, so there is no rousing him until his body is healed or he wakes up on his own.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto will draw out a limited amount of power and use it to patch up Saul's wounds slowly, then looks at the others. "Visto will wake Foe Saul up, but will not heal much. Be prepared in case violence ensues."

Spoiler
    Show
    Visto will remove the E from his Unicorn Feathering veil and then use it on Saul, giving him FH5 for one round. This should be enough to heal him to consciousness.

10. - Top - End - #280

Saul's awake now, but morose and non-talkative.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Eric looks at him.

"Dude, you lost, just talk."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozlech

Once Saul is awake, Ozzy will try convincing him to speak, "Greetings Saul. I don't believe we have been properly introduced. I am Ozlech Darkwing, and the purpose for coming to your establishment was to have a little chat with you about the treatment you have been giving our friend Sol over there."

Ozzy will then adjust his position to meet Saul at eye level if possible and say, "Since we were greeted with crossbow bolts upon entering and we found your little smuggler's route turned escape passage we have a few more questions to ask you. You could choose not to answer of course. However, judging solely on how you have treated your business partners, I feel like we could find a couple of people in Riddleport who would gladly take you off our hands and do far worse to you than we are willing to. Personally, if you cooperate with us I don't mind just telling you to leave and never come back, but how we continue is up to you. So what will it be Saul?"
    Last edited by bcool999; 2021-11-19 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Typos!

13. - Top - End - #283

Will anyone else besides Eric add what Ozzy said?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rodriguez saunters over to join Ozzy near Saul. He crouches down and claps Saul on the shoulder, flashing him a sharp-toothed grin that looks unsettling on his goat-like face.
    ”Listen pal, I’ve been stabbed a lot more in the past few days than I would like, and I would hate to take that frustration out on you. My advice? Just tell us why you wanted Sol dead, and answer anything the elf needs to know. he gestures to Kwava.”If not? Well Apophis over there hasn’t eaten in quite awhile, and at least some parts of you look edible.”

15. - Top - End - #285

Saul sits there, glumly, but seemingly compliant. Eric's simplicity actually came off rather terrifying, which helped Rod's own scare-tactic quite well.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This is not a "We scared him, and now he just starts talking a la logorrhea. You have to ask specific questions.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Seeing that his friends aren’t jumping at the opportunity, Rodriguez will begin the interrogation.
    ”alright then, I’m glad we have an understanding. First, Sol and another of your employees were attacked by a gang of wererats recently. Sol just barely escaped with his life. We found a note on one of them claiming you might have had a hand in it. Did you hire those thugs? If you did, why?”
    Last edited by AggressiveBread; 2021-11-24 at 10:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287

Saul answers in crestfallen fashion. "It was great when my junior partners were taking care of problems. And needed them .... you," he corrects with Sol there, "to repulse the raid that Croat's and Zincher's boys attacked the Gold Goblin with. But I learned then that if I wanted to be the one to end up calling the shots, it wouldn't be long before Devil-Dave, Sol, and the others started thinking they didn't need old Saul in charge anymore. The Raid worked out better than I would have thought, given I was the victim. It killed Lini's kitty, and she angrily left, taking Sajan with her. That left Sol, Devil-Dave, and Seltyiel, but Seltyiel had already given me notice, and he left, too. So, I just had to get rid of the two most dangerous threats to me being sure I could call the shots in my domain unchallenged."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rodriguez let’s out a low whistle, almost seeming impressed by the scheme.”Sadly it doesn’t seem to have gone in your favor. That’s not the only reason for our visit though. He waves a hand toward Kwava.“This fine elf here is searching for another of his kind. A renegade elf as I understand it. He can give you more details than I can, but telling everything you know about this renegade would go a long way toward earning your freedom.”

19. - Top - End - #289

Kwava steps forward and speaks to Saul. He could maybe leverage a little bit of scary, but not a lot, but really as far as elves go ... Kwava only has his exotic looks, but not seeming connection to others like, say, Rodriguez. "My direct superior in my company feared a renegade elf from the Mierani Forest might have fled to this human city of Riddleport, where the renegade might have recruited the aid of one of this city's crimelords. This is my first assignment .... to scout out the city of Riddleport and the environs and to determine if any of the crimelords had indeed taken in a mysterious elven ally of late."

Saul listens, thinking. "Other than having Seltyiel and Devil-Dave as junior partners, not me or any of the other crimelords I know of. And Seltyiel is a half-elf. And Devil-Dave, now dead, couldn't even be rightly considered a half-elf anymore, but I know he used to be a half-elf from Korvosa named Daevan. And Seltyiel is some bastard outcast from Cheliax. My informant tells me that Seltyiel actually took a ship out of Riddleport. Smart bastard probably knew I was still gonna' be gunning for him anyway. He knew too much about my operation. But, no .... a renegade elf? They both had troubles, but they weren't fully elf, and they been with me for a few months, both of 'em showing up for the 'Cheat the Devil and Take His Gold' tournament. That's how I got back on my feet."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozlech

Hearing that Saul hadn't heard of the renegade elf, Ozlech consoles Kwava, "Sorry Kwava, looks like Saul is a bust on the renegade hunt. Still plenty of rocks in Riddleport to roll over and see what crawls out though."

Turning to Saul, Ozlech interrogates, "Alright Saul next question. We discovered your escape route in the arena, thanks for lending a hand with the lock on the door by the way, what's down there? We caught a whiff of troglodytes, but what else is down there?"

21. - Top - End - #291

At Ozlech's words, Kwava nods. "It seems that fate brought me to save your friend Sol, to help with this fight against this evil man, and help the rest of you take a business from its corrupt owner. It has not been without fun, I admit. But I cannot tarry here. Please don't leave word about town about me, so the renegade doesn't expect me or know anything about me.

"May your gods watch and protect you, my friends, and my our paths cross again one day,"
    says Kwava, readying to leave.

(If you have a goodbye, give it now.)

Regarding Saul, Saul just gives a smile. "I'm not your guide to Riddleport."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rodriguez gives Kwava a clap on the shoulder,”Thanks again for saving Sol. Good Allies don’t come easy in Riddleport, but if you need a hand, you can always come find us. We sorta stick out.” he chuckles as he gestures to himself and the rest of his very unique looking party.”As for the tunnels, I say we check them out ourselves.”

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto bows to Kwawa. "Friend Kwawa will always be counted among Vistos Friends. May our paths cross once again in the future."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Waving at Kwava, Eric adds in a tone far more emotional than it should.

"If you have some adventure, or just some drinks to share, think about us, ok ?"

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rodriguez points at Saul,”Well Sol, he’s your boss. What shall we do with our friend here?”

26. - Top - End - #296

And with that, Kwava is gone from your lives .... for now. (Dunh-dunh-DUNH!)

Sol says, "Well, it's high time we got out of this musty basement. We need to call the gendarmes, honestly. I will take Saul's keys ... and the prosthetics. I also need to look at his office to find paperwork to find out of there is any kind of protection, paperwork, default or what regarding the Gold Goblin. I have a lot of fellow employees, and they are going to want to know what to do, and I will need to have an answer for them."

And so, the group takes it up to the main floor, to conduct a lot of post-battle housekeeping tasks. [I will update them in the next couple of days.]
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297

Over the Next Two Days ...

Saul Vancaskerkin is taken away by the gendarmes. Unlike constables in other towns. It is more about taking away the loser than caring about the events of the night. They also haul away any still living thieves or bodyguards, and city body disposal is called to pick up the dead.

Deed to the Goblin: The deed to the Gold Goblin is kept in an iron chest in the night vault. It’s a DC 30 Open Lock check to open the chest—but one of Saul’s keys works as well.

Still, Sol wanted to test himself. He couldn't open it casually, but it took him 8 minutes to be able to do a more dedicated safe-cracking. Then he locked it again and used the key.

An examination of the deed notes something interesting—the deed specifically states that it does not grant ownership of any smuggler’s tunnels that might exist under the property. This is standard boilerplate text for Riddleport deeds—smuggler’s tunnels are a sort of secret “public works” owned by no one but utilized by many. Not all of Riddleport’s buildings have tunnels below them—but in the case of the Gold Goblin, there are. Note also that in Riddleport, possession of a deed is pretty much all that’s required to own a business—with this deed in hand, Sol Flood is officially the owner of the Gold Goblin.

He's surprised upon learning that, and being as responsibility-minded as he is, he gets to work calling back the workers and getting a plan for the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall to be up and running again, but that the hall will have to be closed for a few days while things are figured out.

Distinctive Stink: The wine cellar had that strange funk to it, and Sol performs an alchemical analysis and verifies that it is likely troglodyte musk. This hints to troglodytes having come up from smuggler's tunnels ... likely invited, given the complexity of Saul's hand-key ... and having gotten into the wine stores.

Larur’s Remains: Saul had Bojask feed Larur Feldin’s remains to Pigsaw. A search of Pigsaw’s filthy cage uncovers bits of bone and Larur’s signet ring mixed in with the boar’s droppings. Because Larur had no known decedents, Sol will give the PCs the signet ring (valued at 50 gp) as a meager attempt to repay what they've done for everyone at the gambling hall.

Records: Area 26 contains the Gold Goblin’s financial records. Anyone who studies these papers for a few hours notes that the majority of these pages are in Saul’s handwriting, and something seems off. Unfortunately, what that is and how to look at these records properly is beyond anyone's ability, so Sol ... or one of the PCs who is interested in this lead ... might need to hire outside help.

Saul’s Key: The key on Saul’s stump, contrary to popular belief, does not open the night vault or any locks within—in fact, its size makes it useless for opening ANY obvious lock in the Gold Goblin. The key unlocks the secret trap door in area 39. His normal set of keys open all the other functionary locks in the Gold Goblin.

Sol comes to the group, which since he has been putting them up, isn't hard to do. "Okay, so a few things I'm concerned about. First, it seems that Vancaskerkin had dealings with troglodytes below. No more Saul, no more business, but that doesn't mean they won't rise up in anger. So, I was curious if we could maybe clear out any weapon-wielding vagrants that are in the Smuggler's Tunnels. I mean, I technically don't own it ... but it is a safety concern.

"After that, I need to get hold of someone who is good at looking at expansive economic records. I think some of them might even be in code.

"And I know that free room and board and a nice ring might not be enough, but given the recent turnover here, I've been wondering if I could employ you at the Gold Goblin. Let's figure that out after we figure out the What Lies Beneath problem, though."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"Eh, that was fun, and your offer sounds fun."

He excitedly looks at the others.

"We should do it !"

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Visto is fine helping Friend Sol, as long as Friends are fine too. Visto is unsure how much help he can be, though."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozlech

Seeing two of the group already give their consent to be hired on under Sol, Ozlech sighs and chimes in with his opinion, "Fine. I suppose I have done dirtier jobs than 'dealing' with Trogs. But the Gold Goblin better have a bath somewhere for when we get back. Scented soap too! The good kind they use at the temple of Calistria."