New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Second Darkness [Shadow in the Sky] (IC)

Ozlech

”Fair enough,” Ozlech says before pondering a moment and continues to speak, ”I can see two ways of proceeding from here. We can go to Saul directly. I don’t recommend this one since we only have a stranger’s word, no offense Kwava, and because Saul, as the owner of a gambling hall, is likely more slippery than a greased eel.

The second approach we can take, is to find this Ziphras character and see if we can squeeze any information out of him. If we pull it off right we might get proof of Saul’s treachery without Saul knowing we’re on to him.”

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

If Ozlech and Eric take a second to talk about the name "Ziphras," they will recognize that name as the one likely being the same as that of the leader of the gang of wererats that patrol the Rotgut District of Riddleport, though ostensibly the weakest of Riddleport's "crimelords." His unique gang scurry about the district in rat form gathering news, information, targets, and new recruits (both willing and unwilling) for his gang. Because of his lycanthropic traits and shady methods, Ziphras has proven a difficult opponent to those who would face him, as proven by his status as a crimelord.

Eric and Ozlech are even able to parse out a rumor that Ziphras was born to Sczarni wererats in Riddleport; might be the last surviving member of that clan to remain in Riddleport; and that his relative Ayala Javeski founded the criminal Tower Girls gang of Magnimar.

Listening to Eric and Ozlech figure that out, Sol says, "Listen, I don't want to tangle with a crimelord if I can help it ... especial another wererat. Saul is my boss. Are any of you good at reading people? I say we take the straightforward approach and bring this scrap o' note and this Kwava with us and see his reaction."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-05-13 at 08:16 PM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rodriguez will speak up,”I don’t know if I favor confronting him directly, but I’d rather deal with a man than a bunch of lycanthropes. I vote for option one, less risk of violent dismemberment. What do you plan on doing if we do find incriminating evidence about this elf Saul’s harboring kwava?”
    Last edited by AggressiveBread; 2021-05-13 at 08:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

"Force him to surrender and have .... well, you probably scary-guy...." and here he's talking to Rodriguez, ".... try to force out of him whatever his grand plan was. He got Devil-Dave killed, if it was him, and almost me."
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Visto agrees. Foe Saul should be confronted. If Foe Saul confesses, Friends can bring him in. Otherwise Foe Saul can point Visto and friends in the right direction. Visto sees nothing to lose in this approach, while also suffering less violence along the way." Visto has been quiet, but only because he seems unsure about how to move forward.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Still trying to understand the secret message, apparently trying silly wordplays, Eric raises his head.

"So what, we infiltrate his headquarters, gather clues, and confront him ?"

He returns to the message and smiles.

"Oh, I know, dummy crash ! That should be something ..."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

7. - Top - End - #37

Sol looks at Eric, trying to parse the type of man he is. "Nooooo. We go right to the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall. We show him the message. We mention the ambush. We measure he reaction. We don't skulk about, because there are other people there who may not being on something wrong. We measure anyone who witnesses the meeting as well. Besides, you're not infiltrating anything. We - the employees there - know each other pretty well."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozlech

Thinking over Sol's plan to corner Saul (whose names will certainly not get mixed up in his head), Ozlech adds, "If you and the other employees are close to one another it may be best to cause a spectacle and confront Saul out in public. If there is a chance the other employees choose Saul over you we may want to make it a more private affair."

9. - Top - End - #39

Sol winces, "Devil-Dave is dead. Lini and Sajan left. Dirk hasn't worked there in weeks. And Seltyiel? Well, he might just be a a problem. I think he would support Saul regardless. I mean, Seltyiel wasn't sent to be ambushed, if that is what happened. And the bouncers and I don't really deal closely. Yeah, private is better."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rodriguez will clasp his hands and rub them together.”Well how do we all feel after the scuffle at the mission?” I could certainly use a rest, but I’m by no means tapped out. If I remember, Sol also needed rest.” Rodriguez will take the time to refill both his water skins in the marsh water.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Visto has yet to put any of Visto's considerable power to play. If Visto must fight Foe Saul, Friends must remember that Visto's power will draw great attention to Friends by default. But Visto's healing powers will not fail Friends no matter what they decide."

12. - Top - End - #42

Sol says, "I have a nice warm bed waiting me at the Goblin. But I am afraid to go there if Saul is an enemy that tried to have me killed. I need rest. After that, I need time to make some bombs and extracts."

"I have no extra bedrolls," says Kwava, "but you may enjoy the warmth of my fire."

"Thanks, it'll have to do, so I might be tired tomorrow," says Sol, "but the rest of you should rest comfortably in your bedrolls at your 'room.' Where and when should we meet tomorrow?"
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

”Does anyone mind resting for Sol’s sake? If not, then I’ll see you in the morning lads. I get the feeling it’ll be a long day.” Rodriguez will find a large piece of wood and lay on it by the fire, using his backpack as a pillow.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"If they ambushed earlier, wouldn't they also try it here ? It might be safer to watch here."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

”I don’t mind some camping if it’s means we can keep you safe from reinforcements. Unless it’s really necessary, it would be safer to stick together until Saul’s off your back.”

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto nods. "Visto will remain with Friends Sol and Kwava. Visto does not often sleep indoors anyways." Visto chooses to find a place to perch where he can comfortably rest nearby the others.

17. - Top - End - #47

The next morning, is anyone going to change their lineup with spells, veils, etc.?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I have no changes. Rodriguez will summon Apophis, yawning and stretching, and wait for Sol to lead the group to the gambling hall.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto is fine as-is.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozlech will reset Aura of the Adaptable to Light Whip and refresh it so that it is at full strength.

21. - Top - End - #51

Because of the lateness of the hour when the group retired, and to make sure everyone is rested, it is already just past noon by the time the heroes have gotten up and then performed their hour-or-so of morning routines.

The group - now with Kwava in tow - leave the swamp of the Boneyard behind and head into the city proper of Riddleport.

Any final preps, or right to the front door of the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall (GGGH)?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Erik nods, apparently ready.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Straight to the front door, provided everyone else is fine with it.

24. - Top - End - #54

The group gets to the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall.

Standing before the main doors of the building is an 8-foot-tall statue cast in shining gold to resemble a larger-than-life goblin. It balances a golden dogslicer on a pile of gold as it smiles smugly down on all customers who pass beneath its gaze. Sol can tell you that the statue is brass, not gold.

The doors themselves are of a strong dark wood imported from southern lands and are decorated with multiple panels depicting signs of luck and good fortune (four-leaf clovers, crossed fingers, and so on).

"Strange," says Sol. "The Goblin should be open by now, but the windows have been boarded."

What does the party do?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rodriguez will turn to Sol, ”He might be expecting trouble. Do you know of any side or back entrances we could use?”

26. - Top - End - #56

"If he's expecting trouble, he knows the Goblin better than I do," admits Sol. "There is a service entrance to the back, but then we'd be cramped, couldn't bring all numbers to bear, it might be trapped, and could be more of a gauntlet. If we go in the front, it might be a case of numbers could get us, but we have to assume that he knows to cover all entrances. I recommend the front. Besides, if he sees us and he isn't our enemy, it is better than us trying to sneak in the back where it is just good sense to shoot first and ask questions later for a defender."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"Given how much of a pain the corridors were, I'll also prefer the main entrance."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

”I agree with Eric. But he may have barred the door to keep us out.”

29. - Top - End - #59

"Well, if we go with the spirit of our current tactic," says Sol, "there is nothing saying Saul specifically barred it against us .... well, me ... but perhaps against the enemies that raided the Goblin the other night. So, does anyone object if I knock?"
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

”Be my guest. Not sure what to expect in there though.” Rodriguez will stand to the side of the door with Apophis and wait for Sol to do his thing.