New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: WIP Darkest Dungeon inspired Hellion sub-class

Quote Originally Posted by saucerhead View Post
    I liked it better the original way with the "isn't very powerful" and "is very powerful" headings when both versions were the same at 4 rounds and within 1 hit point of damage after 5 rounds. I thought that was funny.
    LOL yeah! In the long term they accomplish the exact same thing, so saying yours is "very powerful" is misleading at best. But you get what I was saying.

Weird, I thought Heat Metal or something else did, but I believe you.
    There are spells like Witch Bolt and Heat Metal that sound like DoT effects, but actually require your action or bonus action to continue dealing damage. No spells just keep doing damage on their own.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

The newest version. Still a work in progress.

Barbarian sub-class
    PATH of THE HELLION
    At 3rd level:
    -Proficiency in one of deception, persuasion, performance or intimidation.
    -Unarmed fighting style or Great Weapon fighting style.

Barbaric Roar (is an action to activate and it won’t end your rage if you are raging.)
    Any creature in the 10ft area of effect in front of you must make a Wisdom save (DC=8+your proficiency bonus plus your Charisma modifier) or suffer the frightened condition for 1 minute, or until it takes any damage. Affected creatures may attempt another Wisdom saving throw at the end of their next turn to end the frightened condition. Once a creature has witnessed your Roar, it is immune to your Roar until it finishes a long rest.

Adrenaline Rush (is an action to activate and won't end your rage, but can only be used while raging.)
    -Cures poison, ending the poisoned condition.
    -Cures bleeding wounds*, ending all durations.
    -Gain hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

At 6th level:
    Barbaric Roar(now includes the following options)
    -When you Frighten a hostile creature, you can choose to Stun it instead, until the end of its next turn.
    -When you Frighten a non-hostile creature, you can choose to Charm it instead, as per the charmed condition, until it takes any damage.

Maim
    -When you hit a creature with an attack during your turn, you can choose to deal half damage and to give them a bleeding wound*.

*Bleeding Wounds
    A bleeding wound does damage equal to the attacker's proficiency bonus every round for a duration of rounds also equal to their proficiency bonus. (For example: If your proficiency bonus is +3, your attack does 3 points of bleeding damage per round, for 3 rounds. If your proficiency bonus is +2, it does 2 bleeding damage per round, for 2 rounds.) Bleeding damage occurs at the immediate start of the wounded subject's turn. While this doesn't sound very powerful, two things make bleeding wounds very dangerous. One is that they stack, meaning multiple wounds can cause larger accumulated blood loss, and two, they don't stop until the duration ends, or the subject is treated to stop the bleeding, or the subject dies.
    Last edited by saucerhead; 2021-06-03 at 12:02 PM.
    Skill monkeys, away!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GalacticAxekick View Post
    There are spells like Witch Bolt and Heat Metal that sound like DoT effects, but actually require your action or bonus action to continue dealing damage. No spells just keep doing damage on their own.
    Hmmm... I wonder if a change is needed then? Something like this maybe?

Maim-When you hit a creature with an attack during your turn, you can choose to deal half damage and additionally give them bleeding damage equal to your proficiency bonus. This bleeding damage can be repeated as a bonus action on your next turn, for up to your proficiency bonus in rounds. (For example: If your proficiency bonus is +3, your attack does 3 points of bleeding damage per round, for up to 3 rounds. If your proficiency bonus is +2, it does 2 bleeding damage per round, for up to 2 rounds.) Bleeding wounds are very dangerous because they stack, meaning multiple wounds can cause larger accumulated blood loss.

I don't know if that makes sense, but it removes damage over time. It doesn't seem like an improvement though. What do you think?
    Skill monkeys, away!

4. - Top - End - #34

BlueKnightGuy

I would leave Bleed the way you had it before.

If you want to have damage over time the way Darkest Dungeon does it, you're going to need to break 5e conventions.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: WIP Darkest Dungeon inspired Hellion sub-class

Quote Originally Posted by GalacticAxekick View Post
    I would leave Bleed the way you had it before.

If you want to have damage over time the way Darkest Dungeon does it, you're going to need to break 5e conventions.
    Agreed. It just didn't make sense tying bleeding damage to bonus actions.

I am thinking, however, the 6th level has too many things now. I might remove the stunning option from the Roar, and possibly bring it back at a higher level.

Here is an idea I am working on for a "breakthrough" attack:
    -10th level, uses an action
    -make a reckless attack roll to hit any targets within range of your melee weapon, up to your proficiency modifier in number.
    -each target hit takes half damage and is either forced to retreat 5 feet or falls prone.

I am trying to decide if there needs to be a contest or saving throw for each target, as it would mean lots of dice rolls after already rolling to hit.
    Skill monkeys, away!

6. - Top - End - #36

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by saucerhead View Post
    I am thinking, however, the 6th level has too many things now. I might remove the stunning option from the Roar, and possibly bring it back at a higher level.
    I think that's a good feature to introduce at 10th level.

Here is an idea I am working on for a "breakthrough" attack:
    • 10th level, uses an action
    • make a reckless attack roll to hit any targets within range of your melee weapon, up to your proficiency modifier in number.
    • each target hit takes half damage and is either forced to retreat 5 feet or falls prone.
    A 10th level Hunter Ranger can use the Whirlwind Attack action to attack every creature within his reach. Just give the Hellion that.

Knocking people away from you on hit is cool and useful! But I wouldnt tie it to this feature. I would write a feature that let's you do that for free with any melee attack, similar to the Warlock's Repelling Blast invocation.

I am trying to decide if there needs to be a contest or saving throw for each target, as it would mean lots of dice rolls after already rolling to hit.
    If the feature knocks people prone, it needs a save. If not, it doesn't.

I suggest you remove the power to knock targets prone and leave the save out.