New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very noisy bird

1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: Very noisy bird

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    You can actually hear them (at least, I still can, my wife can't and they drive my daughter nuts*, but for some reason they don't bother the rabbit). They are right on the upper range of human hearing.

* Apparantly, some places market ultrasonic gadgets for shops to dissuade teenagers from hanging around outside...
    Just wait, you'll lose the ability to hear it eventually. Your daughter as well. Mind you depending on how old she is it might be upwards of 30 years.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Unless you are 500 years old I doubt you can blame it all on cats. I think the more likely cause is staring right back at you in the mirror. If anything habitat loss due to human activities will be much more impactful than cats.
    This is my assessment as well.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

In most parts of the world, the presence of felis catus is the result of human activity.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

When I was in high school, my mom made a stained glass window and set it up in our kitchen. That summer, a very territorial robin would swoop in at about 1:30 every afternoon when the sun hit it just right and start pecking at the window for about 5 minutes, then leave. If you can get something sparkly near where the robin is singing, you might be able to at least disrupt its routine without causing much trouble.
    The not-so-secret identity of Nat1Advice.
    I also write more serious 5e content on my blog, TBM Games.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

How long has it been a problem for?

I ask because I remember when I have moved house I have been woken up in different places by:

Sirens

Trains

Vehicles over Cobbles

Barking Dogs

After a few weeks it was like my brain just learned to tune out all of this noise and it wasn't an issue any more. Now everyone is different, but you might find that shortly you can just sleep through it and it just stops being a problem.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post

After a few weeks it was like my brain just learned to tune out all of this noise and it wasn't an issue any more.
    That's exactly what it is. Also certain kinds of noises more easily are reacted to. So sometimes can tune out sirens but will wake to human voices.

My friends trained their kids, well sort of, to go to sleep with noises in the house so they don't have to tiptoe around after 9PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

That's exactly what it is. Also certain kinds of noises more easily are reacted to. So sometimes can tune out sirens but will wake to human voices.

My friends trained their kids, well sort of, to go to sleep with noises in the house so they don't have to tiptoe around after 9PM.
    Very true. The neighbour's kid drives me crazy with her screaming, but sleeping next to a diesel generator on a boat is no problem at all (there's just a wooden wall between the bed and the generators and engines).
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

8. - Top - End - #38

I ask because I remember when I have moved house I have been woken up in different places by:

Sirens

Trains

Vehicles over Cobbles

Barking Dogs

After a few weeks it was like my brain just learned to tune out all of this noise and it wasn't an issue any more. Now everyone is different, but you might find that shortly you can just sleep through it and it just stops being a problem.
    This is actually a good question. I think it started a three or four days before I opened this thread, so it's about a tenday, give or take. Although in the last couple of days I didn't hear the bird in the morning, even though I heard it during the daytime. Either he moves around (sometimes his chirping is way more faint), or something like you describe has happened and I got used to it. I just hope it stays like this

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Sirens

Trains

Vehicles over Cobbles

Barking Dogs

There is a story I heard once about a train that used to make a loud noise as it went through a town at night, the same time every night for some years, then one night it didn't, and the town woke up.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-05-06 at 01:01 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    There is a very, VERY noisy bird that starts chirping very early in the morning. I have tried to keep the window closed, use earplugs, use some white noise generator, but the bird is so noisy that it keeps waking me up as it starts chirping. I downloaded a bird identification app, and it says it's an American Robin, and looking online i found that these birds sing throughout the entire mating season, which lasts until JULY.

Does anybody of you have any suggestion on how to handle this? I am losing my sleep (and my mind) on this pest, it's so noisy that i can't hear myself think. Just for context, I live in Philadelphia.

Thank you all.
    Earmuffs would work, as would putting up thicker curtains; frankly, the bird is better there than not, and odds are there are plenty of them as opposed to just one. Any method of getting rid of them (scaring them, cat, etc) would either be worse than having the bird overall, or not be too effective.
    Regardless, you'll probably be used to it within a few months

I also recommend a sock as a makeshift facemask if you need that to get back to sleep.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-05-28 at 01:22 AM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

11. - Top - End - #41

Absolutely not a serious suggestion, but you might be amused by this song if your brain hasn't learned to tune them out yet:

Tom Lehrer, the piano-playing math professor who made a brief career of shocking/amusing audiences several decades ago.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

12. - Top - End - #42

That sounds to me like a cheap plastic crap you buy and toss out as it turns out that there's no such thing. I'm always suspicious of things sold with claims where you can just swap out one word of it. They sell such things against mice, rodents and other vermin as well as cats... never heard anyone who could positively identify it as having actually worked.
    How far up the spectrum can a laptop microphone hear? You might be able to test this by recording it and then reducing the recording's frequency in a program like Audacity.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

13. - Top - End - #43

DwarfFighterGuy

Go to the toy store.

Get a rubber snake.

Toss it into the tree.

????

Acquire wealth.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    This is actually a good question. I think it started a three or four days before I opened this thread, so it's about a tenday, give or take. Although in the last couple of days I didn't hear the bird in the morning, even though I heard it during the daytime. Either he moves around (sometimes his chirping is way more faint), or something like you describe has happened and I got used to it. I just hope it stays like this
    Any update on this? Has it settled down?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by RandomNPC View Post
    Go to the toy store.

1. Get a rubber snake.

2. Toss it into the tree.

3. ????

4. Acquire wealth.
    Let me fix that one for you.

3. Be woken up by the sirens and/or sounds of fire/animal rescue climbing said tree.
    4. Lose even more sleep hiding hoping no one saw you toss the snake there and want to present you the bill for your little practical joke.

16. - Top - End - #46

DwarfFighterGuy

Let me fix that one for you.

3. Be woken up by the sirens and/or sounds of fire/animal rescue climbing said tree.
    4. Lose even more sleep hiding hoping no one saw you toss the snake there and want to present you the bill for your little practical joke.
    My local animal control said as long as they're not hurt or physically causing harm, they can't or don't want to move an animal. They suggested decoy predators, specifically a rubber snake large enough to pose a threat to the birds if it were a real snake.

I am honestly at a loss here. I've seen a number of instances of snakes in trees naturally. Did I miss your joke or did your local animal rescue actually do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by RandomNPC View Post
    My local animal control said as long as they're not hurt or physically causing harm, they can't or don't want to move an animal. They suggested decoy predators, specifically a rubber snake large enough to pose a threat to the birds if it were a real snake.

I am honestly at a loss here. I've seen a number of instances of snakes in trees naturally. Did I miss your joke or did your local animal rescue actually do this?
    I've scared the neighbours lady half to death with a forgotten toy snake in the grass when I was a child.

I'm as confused by the idea where snakes in trees would not be considered a public hazard.

18. - Top - End - #48

I've scared the neighbours lady half to death with a forgotten toy snake in the grass when I was a child.

I'm as confused by the idea where snakes in trees would not be considered a public hazard.
    City people...

Snakes climb trees all the time without being noticed by the general public, much less causing discernable threat to them. Why? Probably to get away from hateful humans and predators, but also because there are often tasty treats up there in the form of round little delicacies placed in mud and straw bowls by noisy feathered creatures that humans also deem pests. If you ever notice a number of birds freaking out over one particular tree or something on the ground, it could be a snake.

Now, iguanas in trees on a cool day in Florida? Those are actually documented as hazardous, and public safety warnings are issued.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    City people...

Snakes climb trees all the time without being noticed by the general public, much less causing discernable threat to them. Why? Probably to get away from hateful humans and predators, but also because there are often tasty treats up there in the form of round little delicacies placed in mud and straw bowls by noisy feathered creatures that humans also deem pests. If you ever notice a number of birds freaking out over one particular tree or something on the ground, it could be a snake.

Now, iguanas in trees on a cool day in Florida? Those are actually documented as hazardous, and public safety warnings are issued.
    For the curious, the reason is because when it cools off, the iguanas fall asleep, and therefore fall out of the tree. So if anything happens to be underneath them, theyre getting pelted with an iguana missile.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    For the curious, the reason is because when it cools off, the iguanas fall asleep, and therefore fall out of the tree. So if anything happens to be underneath them, theyre getting pelted with an iguana missile.
    I can't decide whether that reminds me more of piercers or drop bears

Omegaupdate Forum

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Sad news. My cat killed a bird today.

I feel bad because I couldn't move fast enough to save him. Almost but just not enough.

I have yet to figure out how to teach him when it comes to killing: Fur good, feather bad.
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2021-06-15 at 01:29 PM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

22. - Top - End - #52

That's the thing about cats - they don't discriminate. They extend their nihilistic acrimony toward all species.
    Golem Arcana

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Sad news. My cat killed a bird today.
    Don't be sad. If this thread is any indication the bird had it coming.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't be sad. If this thread is any indication the bird had it coming.
    OK, now I agree with you.

The cat ( the one who is real good at killing birds) was sleeping on my front porch and this crazy bird was 1 yard away chirping up a storm at him, loud enough to bring me out to look.

Either he was drunk or had a bet with his teenage friends.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Always be aware of what you are unleashing on the world when you get an outdoor cat.
    Last edited by tomandtish; 2021-07-21 at 09:03 AM.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Always be aware of what you are unleashing on the world when you get an outdoor cat.
    Where does this cartoonist live that there's all this wildlife around?

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Where does this cartoonist live that there's all this wildlife around?
    Where do you live that there isn't?
    Golem Arcana

28. - Top - End - #58

Wow, didn't see this thread having so many other replies.

Just to give a sense of closure, the bird probably moved. I can still hear it in the morning, but it's way fainter and doesn't wake me up anymore, something that I ascribe to a combination of both me getting used to it, and the chirping being much fainter than it was.

No cats or other avivores needed to be deployed, luckily.