A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIII

Sieghard

Sieghard stared hard at Elsa for a moment. "No. I haven't seen his statue yet." He said, his tone frigid. "I think I'll go have a look right now." Without another word, he turned and left.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you for everything you and your order do, Ioana," said Elsa.

She sat down by Tatiana's side and let her apprentice hold Khalida to keep her company. "Putbad should be better for both of us, Tattie," she said. "You'll see. It's a magnificent city with a huge waterfall. It's safe; no battle's been fought there in a very long time. It's far from the pyramid, and far from the principessa. And Lady Groz is a delightful person."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2022-01-17 at 11:29 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard
    Tomboys and Troublemakers (WFRP) as Emil Reissner, agitator

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla glanced at Sieghard go, then cleared her throat. Truthfully she felt a bit out of her depth with all the supernatural talk - she had no doubt Elsa was on to something but the others seemed to have far more experience that she did.

"I suspect I'm stuck at court for now, though I may be able to arrange an escape or two at some point - I would like to see Putbad and also visit Giovanni at some point. Anyway I've been thinking we need to stay in better communication if we are to be far flung. I don't suppose anyone knows any pigeon breeders nearby?"

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

It's ugly, Sieghard thought as he stared at the statue. The sculptor had gotten that much right, even if everything else was wrong. The prince was was just as unpleasant in bronze as he was in the flesh. He hatred the thing, yet found himself unable to stop looking at it and most insulting at all was how little he was surprised that Sforza would do something like this. He could've handled not being thanked. Killing Nahorek was as much personal as it was for anyone else and glory had never been a factor in it. It had hurt when Sforza had stolen his spear as he was lying half-dead after the battle, but even that he could've begrudgingly lived with. Not this. The statue was too personal an insult and too great a wound to his pride.

He needed a drink.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Jarla

Jarla glanced at Sieghard go, then cleared her throat. Truthfully she felt a bit out of her depth with all the supernatural talk - she had no doubt Elsa was on to something but the others seemed to have far more experience that she did.

"I suspect I'm stuck at court for now, though I may be able to arrange an escape or two at some point - I would like to see Putbad and also visit Giovanni at some point. Anyway I've been thinking we need to stay in better communication if we are to be far flung. I don't suppose anyone knows any pigeon breeders nearby?"
    "There were pigeons in the tower in Caerfort," Ludo suggested. "Though I don't know if they'll still be there now, it must have been a while since someone was feeding them."

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa returned to Hieronymus's house shortly after sunset and brought him a bottle of some very fine red as a thank-you gift for his hospitality. She also had a brass cane now that seemed to have enough heft to it to snap bones.

"According to Meskhenet, Savonne used to be a Nehekharan city," she said, sitting down. "You must be well versed in local history... What do you think are the oldest parts of the city, apart from the Dwimmulhold? Before I head to Putbad, I'll see if I can't get us some more writings to study."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

At The Hospital
    "I know Roth and his men are there," Ludo said. "Nobody I trust more outside Painford."

He had no real idea how to talk to Tatiana. By some mercy, none of the Thorns under his command had been maimed in such a grisly way.

At Hieronymous'
    Ludo greeted Hieronymous warmly, and asked after how well the old priest was recovering from his injuries.

"What do you think of Frau Holt's news from the west?" he asked. "Have there been any... signs or portents that your people have detected?"

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

The Hospital

Tattie didn't quite seem to know what to make of all the attention - she had never been one to enjoy being crowded . Sitting in the edge of the bed with the air of someone eager to get away, but too polite to get up and leave, she nodded absently at the mention of Putbad.

"More travelling, then," she said. "Can we bring the horses this time?"

Hieronymus'

Hieronymus accepted Elsa's thank-you gift with great courtesy, and seemed pleased to see Ludo again.

"I thought we'd discussed that before," was his response to Elsa's question, his tone carrying just a faint trace of impatience. "The Old Town is what its name implies; I believe the Temple and the buildings around it may be the oldest." He paused. "But why barring the Dwimmulhold? The records your friend Jotunnsson unearthed must surely go back that far."

To Ludo's question he shook his head. "Nothing hear to give cause for alarm," he said, "unless you count the Prince himself asking us to pray for rain. And of course - " - he checked himself - " - no, but those are private matters." He cleared his throat. "Magister Holt's news is very concerning, of course. You are certain that Nakht-Horeb was killed?"
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

The hospital

"More travelling, then. Can we bring the horses this time?"

"Of course we will," Elsa assured Tatiana. "And there are grasslands to ride in."

Hieronymus'

"But why barring the Dwimmulhold? The records your friend Jotunnsson unearthed must surely go back that far."

"I suppose I could ask him," mused Elsa, though the dwarfs struck her as rather disinclined to share their knowledge.

"You are certain that Nakht-Horeb was killed?"

"We didn't find his body afterwards," admitted Elsa. "I just assumed it had turned to dust. And perhaps it did. But if so, it wasn't enough to send his soul to Morr's Realm."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2022-01-17 at 04:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard had spent the next few days mostly keeping to himself and avoiding crossing paths with anyone in the city who knew him aside from those who had seen him already. On Wellentag, he paid another visit to the hospital with a basket of pastries as an apology to Tatiana for leaving so abruptly the day before. The rest of the day he spent gathering supplies - an idea has been brewing in his head, brought on by the festering resentment he had for Sforza's statue. Every time he passed it or saw it out of the corner of his eye, while moving from merchant to merchant, the idea solidified further until he knew exactly what he wanted to do. By the end of the day, he had what he needed paint in both red and white (pink would've been too unusual and too easy to trace back to the buyer, so he'd mix the two himself), a brush, and incase he needed it, a small jar of oil.

In the last predawn hours of Marktag, he made his move. He crept from the inn where he had rented a private room and made his way to the center of the market. He dressed plainly and kept his cloak around him with his hood up. Cold as the morning was, there was nothing unusual about it and the few drunks he passed along the way paid him no heed. He glanced around before starting his work. No watchmen, at least that he could see. Confident that this was as good a chance that he was going to get, he dipped his brush into the paint and got to work. A whispered warning Al-Makir had given him so long ago echoed in his mind as he painted.

By all the gods, be careful with the pig jokes, my friend!

Sieghard lingered only a moment to admire his handiwork. It was a quick thing and no great work of art, but he felt a certain smug satisfaction with the improvements he had made. Content with what he had done, he took a couple steps back and hurled what was left of his paint at a bare spot on the statue where it wasn't likely to drip over what he had already painted.

Spoiler: Sieghard's handiwork
    Show

11. - Top - End - #851

BlackDragon

Jarla

As the group seemed ready to break up Jarla took Elsa aside for the moment. "Will you take a letter from me to Lady Groz when you see her next? I met her very briefly but I didn't really get to know her well." Jarla's large grey blue eyes twinkled in amusement. "Maybe she needs a noblewoman who can fence, dance and play cards."

For the next few days Jarla spent her free time practicing with her new blades, and discretely tutoring Elsa if possible. With her position at court seemingly slightly more secure she was coming back around to the idea of starting her fencing school. Even without Irene Jarla hoped she could gain a little interest.

She also smuggled a few treats and a bottle of ale from the keep cellars on a visit to see Tattie at the Hospital. She was very fond of the girl and it broke her heart to see her like this, but she tried to keep the conversation light and easy.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Hieronymous's House
    "After everything we've been through, I hope you know you can trust us," Ludo said, affecting a slightly hurt tone. "I'm sure if it was important to the safety of the reaches, you'd share it with those who needed to know?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm vs 92: (1d100)[87], mostly trying to confirm that whatever this is couldn't be Nahorek-related.

"We know the spear was enchanted specifically to kill him, and the commander drove it through his face. It was like he exploded, or was completely destroyed. That was what they did to kill him before. I would have thought... Klammenberg had to do so much to bring him back before. Could Mala really have done that?"

"Relatedly, how is Meskhenet? Where is she living, um, staying now?"

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

"Will you take a letter from me to Lady Groz when you see her next? I met her very briefly but I didn't really get to know her well. Maybe she needs a noblewoman who can fence, dance and play cards."

"I can certainly do that," said Elsa, a tad surprised, "but don't you have official responsibilities here?"

"I've something else to ask in return. I'm going to move Tattie to the castle; can't have her take up a hospital bed for no reason. I want it to be a fait accompli by the time Irene learns of it, so that she can't have you make up an excuse about 'no more room'. It's only for a few days. And she doesn't need much space."

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa will want training from Jarla, but I'll wait a bit before I describe Elsa's next few days. I want to see how the Ludo-Hieronymus situation plays out.

"After everything we've been through, I hope you know you can trust us," Ludo said to Hieronymus. "I'm sure if it was important to the safety of the reaches, you'd share it with those who needed to know?"

Elsa threw the halfling a quizzical look. What was going on here? What did he think the priest was hiding? Her gaze then settled suspiciously on the old man.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; Yesterday at 10:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

14. - Top - End - #854

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla's copper eyebrows rose at Elsa's request. "You don't ask much do you? Well I'll see what I can do. If anyone asks I'll say Countess is ailing and I wanted to talk to a girl who knows animals."

Going to greet Tattie again she smiled at the girl. "Fancy sharing my quarters for a while Tattie? I have a maid about your age so you'll have someone to talk to while I'm off entertaining the princess."