New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Old Hero And The Spark Of Hope [IC]

OOC Thread

You find yourself in the city of Rothbin. It's a large city, not quite centrally located in civilized lands. Far enough to be safe at least, for the moment.

Evanya has returned to Rothbin. It was a stop along her way, in her youth, and where she acquired some of her training with the Rothbin military. She doesn't know if Captain Orin is still around-he's a dwarf, and they live a good long while, but at the same time, he wasn't exactly a spry youth when she came to the city the first time. But she knows that, if he's still in the city, he'd be here in the slums, trying to better the situation and keep everyone safe.

Mirafa is in Rothbin, because that's where she lives right now. Her sight returned, or perhaps gifted anew, but her mission... Not exactly clear what to do. And her stomach is rumbling-she has little in the way of coin, and less in the way of food.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Normally, I'd call for Sleight Of Hand and Perception and all that jazz for pickpocketing. Normally, though, we wouldn't be in the introductory scene.

I'm totally fine with this opening being pure narration-no rolls needed, or if you'd like, you can decide the value of the d20. Don't expect this to STAY that way, but for this scene, I think it'll be good. :)
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-10-26 at 11:56 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Old Hero And The Spark Of Hope [IC]

People have been less charitable lately. And food was not cheap. This required far more direct methods.

Its been a while, but with some kind of vision restored by her newfound mistress she should be able to do something... But what?

She picks up the stick she had been using as a guide, and starts walking down the street, looking for someone she could target. And then she sees someone walking far more upright and proudly than anyone else in the slums should or has a right to.

They aren't a soldier. So some rich jerk, come to lord their money over those who make their lavish lifestyle possible. She follows them for a minute or two, gauging how to best make her approach. And then the woman stops and asks some questions. The perfect time for a blind woman to keep walking and 'accidentally' run into her.

Which is exactly what she does. The bump lets her dart a hand in and snag a small purse she finds inside a pouch. And then Mirafa is walking down the street. She knows better than to examine her prize in the open, so she begins making her way, still using the cane to 'find' her way to an alley.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Evanya let a small smile play out on her face as she followed behind the seemingly blind girl who'd grabbed the bag full of gems she carried for spells and to grind up for her glyphs of warding. She tailed at a distance.
    The girl was good, but not good enough to catch someone who'd learned stealth in a trial by fire against the winter warlords scouts.
    Also, it was becoming rapidly clear the girl had to be blind some fashion and it wasn't just a fake for the sake of a scam. Evanya could see it in the way the girl peered over her shoulder to check for a tail, clearly seeing, but not everything. Missing details. Dangerous if you lived on the streets, she knew. That had once been her life, before the church.

Evanya has time, she thinks with a soft smile, and she'd rather not have to go by more gemstones if she can help it. Plus, she's mildly curious as to the fire of the younger generation.

With those thoughts she traced the would be thief down to a back alley, where the crowds couldn't impede either of them.

"You know, it takes guts and experience to live on these streets, kid. Even more to pull off a lift like that, especially when your own vision works against you. Would have worked pretty well, too, if you'd chosen a different mark. Winters last gasps, if you'd grabbed a different pouch. But you see, I happen to actually need what's in that one.
    So I'm hoping your a smart girl who knows when the jig is up and when to cut your losses, because I'd really hate to christen my first visit to this city in yeats by knocking some kids head around because she needed a meal. I'm hoping your as experienced as you look, and this is nice and easy. If not, well..."

The armored woman with shining red hair pats the unadorned Hilton wrapped in soft, sweat stained green leather at her side.
    "well, I've not gotten to take this old girl for a run in a long while. Though for you, it'd be more like a walk along the paddock."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

She has her fingers in the pouch, feeling around. Feeling for anything she can use. But none of it is metal. Which means none of it is coinage.

Which means that none of it is valuable to h-

And then she hears someone speaking to her. She turns her head. Still unused to her... whatever this was, her eyes were unchanged, dim orbs of milky white. She isn't even sure what she is looking at, but the voice makes it clear it is a woman.

Probably an old one, to keep calling her girl like she does.

You know, it takes a certain kind of wrinkled, old, stuck-up rich bint to track down a blind woman because I stole some worthless junk. Especially when you have the absolute gall to talk about how dangerous these streets are. You want it back, whatever. Its useless to me.

Mirafa drops the pouch on the ground. But keep talking to me like that, and you will have to figure out how to actually use your "old girl" whatever the hells that is.

She turns to start walking away, not realizing she is walking into a sheet hanging on a string that is drooping down from the upper levels.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Ah, your walking into a sheet there, love!."
    She calls out, a smile on her lips at the younger woman's words. It's nice, when people don't recognize her. Especially the ones with spunk.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Mirafa, unable to find her way out of it, just keeps walking.

I gave you your stuff back. And I didn't ask for your damn help. Piss all the damn way off.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

7. - Top - End - #7

While Mirafa walks away, Evanya spots a few goons, going from lurking to take the offense. There's three of them, as far as she can see, and they step into the sheets to swing their saps at the blind woman.

Show
    Init time! Rolled in the OOC, so gimme a sec...

Mirafa
    Goons One, Two, and Three
    Evanya

Mirafa, though, is alert. She knows she has more enemies than friends, and is able to use the billowing sheets to her advantage.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Something warned Mira. She wasn't sure what, but suddenly things were clearer. She heard the sheet moving. And with a pull from behind her back, a short sword appeared in her hand. She gives it a thrust to her right. She can tell they thought she would be an easy target because she was blind. And she feels her blade dissuade them of that notion as it bites deep.

She rips the blade free, and the once clean sheet is now sprayed with blood.

Spoiler
    Show
    A: [roll]2d20b1+5[/roll] Rolled 25 OOC D: (1d6+3)[7] Sneak Attack Damage: (2d6)[4]

I forgot I couldn't roll like that. Making an OOC post for the attack roll.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2022-10-30 at 08:29 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #9

The two other goons, seeing the blood spray, pause a moment. Evanya can see them realizing We're using saps. Blood isn't from her.

They turn tail and run, leaving their compatriot bleeding out on the ground.

Show
    No AoO, since the sheet obscures vision.

The sudden combat is already over by the time anyone else realizes what's going on. There's a scream as someone spots the blood, and you hear a guard's clinking chainmail and heavy boots coming towards the scene.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Mira hears the other two run off.

Hmmph. I’m no easy target.

She reaches out, feeling through the air until she has ahold of one of the sheets, which she uses to wipe off her sword, and then she sheathes it back behind her, under the rags she wears.

Then something else catches in her mind, she isn’t sure why, but she feels the old woman still in the alley.

He with you? Pisspoor attempt at roughing me up for stealing your stuff.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

She gives a short bark of laughter laugh and shakes her head.

"No, no he's not with me. I'm guessing these are just local toughs looking for an easy score, unless you've pissed someone off recently?"

She shakes her head with a smile and walks until theres a short distance from her and the girl, enough to talk comfortably without threatening her, out of arms length so that Evanya can't grab her. She could anyways, of course. And reach her with her sword besides, but what matters is that the girl feels safe. She has to admit shes intrigued and impressed, if she wasn't on a mission, she'd want to stay longer to observe this strange young woman. As it was, she could only spare a little while more.

"Though, I have some buisness with the guards, and it seems I won't have to go looking for them like I thought. Nothing to do with you, of course."

Evanya looks the girl over, the blood all over her body, the calm confidence in her stance, and she silently approved.

"You wouldn't happen to be related to an old bastard named Rothfield, would you? He was from 'round here if I'm not wrong, local toughs and thieves guild called him Ratfield? 7 fingers Ratfield? He had a quick tongue and a quicker blade, and stickier fingers and quieter steps than anyone I've ever met.
    You've got his attitude and blade work, is why I ask. Man died during the last war, but we were never quite sure if he left behind any kids, that he knew of or not. Though if you were one of his forgotten descendants, he'd be impressed with the knife work, but pissed about the lift quality. He'd rant for hours about failing to silently snag a bag from an old woman in full-plate."

She sighs at the thoughts, and brings the seemingly randomly rambling story into a conscise point, her eyes sharpening as she looked at the would be thief.
    And he'd be right. Your clearly a professional something, girl, but it isn't a thief. You aren't bad, but it's clearly a sideskill, not your main focus. I got to see what your good at when you spilled that thugs blood across the pavement. Your a fighter, a killer. I'm sure normally this is the part where I'm supposed to give you some pep-talk about how your walking a dangerous road, you call me a meddling, ignorant, stupid old woman, and we walk off both slightly grumpier for having bumped into one another.
    But quite honestly? The world is about to get even worse than it already is. The north is stirring again, and that means that Killers are in high demand. Especially talented, ruthless ones. If your having trouble finding work, you won't for long. I'd invest in warm clothing, and flasks of oil. When everything goes pear shaped, you'll be happy you did so."

She ***** her head as the chain mail clinks closer.

On second thought, I can ask the guards later, when we aren't standing in a crime scene. I'll be on my way, if you don't want to have to explain this, I'd suggest you should be, too.

And with that, Evanya turns to make her way back into the throng of people on the street.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know no Rothfield. All I know is I am supposed to be looking for a "southern wind," whatever the nine hells that is.

Her stick taps onto the stone of the alleyway again, and she starts moving off.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #13

The guard's first task is trying to keep the injured man stable. He manages to staunch the bleeding enough to keep the man from dying, but in the time it takes, you both make your departure.

A Few Hours Later...
    Evanya has, in the interim, managed to find Captain Orin. He's been assigned to some kind of office work now, and she politely knocks on the door to his room. "Enter," his gruff old voice comes. She opens the door and walks in, and sees Orin, though not as much as there used to be. He seems to be missing an arm. "What exactly do you..." he starts, then trails off. "Evanya! Gods above, it's been ages-how are you, how have you been? Give me a moment-there was an attempted murder earlier today in my district, and while the target isn't exactly the best sort, can't let a killing go unpunished."

Mirafa, meanwhile, finds herself in an old hidey-hole. It's not the most comfortable, but it'll keep her safe for the moment. As you settle in, you hear something, in the edges of your mind. A hero's path is not an easy one. BUt you, MIrafa, are barely even trying. Show compassion, even to those who would fight you.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The voice… it isn’t real, is it?

She adjusts the rags she wears, and presses herself into a corner, snug against the wall.

I’m no hero… I’m barely even real. A blind girl, who has to beg for even the food to live… that’s not heroic.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

15. - Top - End - #15

Many heroes have humble beginnings, the voice says. You need to try-you will not always succeed. You will face hurt and anguish. But if you do not so much as try... Your gift was for nothing.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Probably better than you, I'd wager. she says, nodding to his arm before giving him a wide smile, pointedly not admitting to her witnessing of said attempted murder, can't have anyone thinking the "noble blade of spring" is s anything but above board.
    "How have you been, old friend? It's been ages since I last passed through, I was harboring fears that you and time might have finally passed me by. I'm glad I was wrong."

17. - Top - End - #17

"It was good, for a while," he replies. "But over the last... Gods, it's been that long? Maybe a decade. Things have gotten worse. A lot worse."

He finishes with some papers, and fiddles with a drawer as he continues. "We've barely had any contact with some of the other cities of the land, as of late. Don't know if they're growing hostile, dead, or just quiet. I hope for the lattermost, but, hope for the best. Expect the worst."

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

But I also have no idea where to start! You tell me to be a hero, what am I supposed to do? All I know is killing!

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

19. - Top - End - #19

Think on what you know. Think of the past, the voice says. There is someone who can mentor you. A guide in the darkness.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

The past? What, like... No. No, no, nononononno. The old woman?

Mira grumbles to herself as she starts leaving her hidey hole.

She takes up her stick, and begins tapping her way down the road.

Where do you go to find a old, rich woman who claimed to have been from the last war anyway...?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Agreed, thats why I'm here instead of in my cozy, sleepy cottage, after all."
    Evanya nodded with a grim look on her face "I-I felt the ending of summer, the stirrings of fall when it began, and now once more I fear we stand upon the precipice of winter again and-
    well as you said, it's been a long time. None of us are as young as we used to be, even if a few still don't quite look our age.

Last time we relied to much on the strength and energy of youth to carry us through, and we were almost lost to that cursed frozen blight. This time...whatevers coming, we need to be smarter about this, react sooner. I need to react sooner. Anything I can do to help, fortify the walls, scout out local problems, tell me. You have an ear to the ground and the training for this kind of thing, the logistics. You know I've always been more of a sword and "lead for the trenches" kinda gal. I need a target, and I can't find it alone."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Hmpf. Of course she would be at a guard's barracks. Where else would people in armor go...

Is this what you meant? When you said think of the past? Because she talked about the war, and people from it?

Mira leaned on her stick. She 'looked' in the direction of the barracks. She wondered if they realized just how noise they actually made. She was sure they had to know it was some. But in reality it was a lot.

But what was she supposd to do here? Walk inside? Ask for the "old lady from the last war?"

And so she stood there. Unsure. Her eyes seeing nothing, and yet she saw everything...

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

23. - Top - End - #23

Inside the barracks, Orin nods. "I'll offer what support I can. My first priority is the people of Rothbin, though. And... Well, my injuries mean I won't be able to do much personally. For now," he continues, "I'll see if I can go through some channels to get you deputized here, just in case it becomes needed. Won't be immediate, but it'd give you the authority to roam most official buildings, command guards, and all that."

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

She nods

"I'm grateful for anything you can do, I know your priority needs to be your city. That's why I'm here, extra hands and all that. And the deputization is smart.
    Spring only knows I'd get myself in trouble with your guards playing hero at the worst possible moment. I got enough of that last time around, maybe I can show I've learned something from my mistakes. Even if only a little."

She says the last bit with a laugh in her tone before she shakes her head.

"if you don't have anything pressing related to our coming troubles, I'll take my leave. Once I get my accomodations sorted out I'll send you contact info if you get any information, but I probably won't be in the city for more than a week or so unless something come up."

25. - Top - End - #25

"Alright," Orin replies. "Meet me here tomorrow morning. And... Stay safe, okay?"

You let him know when you'll be back, as best you can tell, and then say your farewell. As you exit the building, you spot a freshly familiar face-the blind woman from before.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Evanya walks forward seemingly unconcerned, but inside she's calculating. This girl was a dab hand with a blade, and clearly had experience in less than legitimate work. Just because she thought that she had a handle on the young woman's motivations didn't mean she was right. The whole encounter before could have been done to lure her into a false sense of security.

"come to turn yourself in? Weight of your sins to great?" Evanya asks sarcastically as she makes to pass the girl, prepared to strike at a moments notice if necessary.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

In a… in a manner of speaking. Mira begins.

You said something about the war before. What did you mean?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

She quirks an eyebrow.
    "You tracked me down to ask about a single errant comment about the war? You seemed like you only wanted to skedaddle earlier. What's the change in heart?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, I had just killed someone.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"That doesn't explain why you came back though, does it? When you clearly wanted nothing to do with me before. Like I said before, it's obvious what kind of work a deadly young thing like you is in, but I'd gotten the impression you were smarter than to go after someone directly in front of a guardhouse, so I'd like to hope you didn't come here to slide that toothpick of yours in my ribs. Though considering you just confessed to murder in broad daylight in front of a guard house, maybe I'm wrong.
    Your lucky I can handle myself, girl. If I was anyone else I'd go running screaming into that door."

Evanya quickly waves the blind killer away from the guard house a ways and into a more secluded alley nearby
    "You asked me about the war? Yeah, I was in it when it when down, saw a lot of good men and women die to the ice. Why the sudden interest?"