New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIII

Backertag, 25th Pflugzeit

Sieghard

Hieronymus looked a little confused at Sieghard's mention of his 'making time', but nodded along regardless. His expression throughout the story was one of slightly perplexed concern.

"Yes, I've heard this story. Not from yourself, of course, but Father Hechsler - he was at the trial. If you've come here looking for absolution, I'm afraid the pursuit of Verena's truth doesn't leave much space for absolutes." He gave a weak smile at his own pun, before his expression became more serious again. "I don't believe any bargain with a daemon ever left the world a better place. Perhaps you are right, perhaps you chose the lesser of two evils. That doesn't mean that evil will not have marked you."

"I can give you penance to perform, or prayers to say against the dark, but I cannot help you erase that mark. Only acknowledge it, and earn forgiveness. In the end, that will be between you and the gods."

Ludo

"I thought he seemed very confused," said Al-Makir. "He's an old man. It can happen."

Ludo's alternative explanation didn't seem to surprise him. "Magister Holt has been telling me the same thing," he said, "when she hasn't been trying to defraud me. You're of the same mind, then? The whole gang of you?" He paused, seeming to give the matter sincere consideration. "Do you have anything you would call proof?"
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, we told him that the dwarves were planning on moving it, and he came here in the middle of the night last night," Ludo said. "That makes me very suspicious, I'm not sure why he'd have done that if all was as it seems. He was looking at me strangely, too... so no evidence, but those worry me."

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

"So it was you who told him?" said Abdul. "He hadn't imagined it."

Finishing his cup, he set it down. "He certainly seemed agitated... but from what he told me, he was under the impression the dwarfs were coming to take it away tonight. The Temple have been invested in that book ever since you retrieved it. Is it really so suspicious that he would want to see it being handed over?" He paused. "Not to cast aspersions on our noble prince... but it's the kind of thing we would tell him if we were actually taking it somewhere else."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Does he not remember last night? Sieghard wondered. If he was indeed possessed, they maybe he couldn't remember the things that happened when the daemon took control of him. And if that were the case, then it was likely the daemon had been in control last night, but wasn't right now. Or had the comment about the lesser evil been Tshula's influence? Surely even if the daemon wasn't asserting complete control, it was still watching.

"Whatever you think would help, Father," he replied. "It'd be easy to try to excuse it by the lives that may have been saved, but the fact is that mine was one of them. For better or worse, I allowed it to get free and only survived because of it. Do you think the gods likely to forgive something so selfish?"

He let Hieronymus answer and let the words hang for a moment. Though there was some truth to his concerns (something he liked dwelling on no more than what Nahorek may have done had he succeeded), he had come for a different reason. "It's all so much to think about. Still, I think being able to talk about it helped. The temple was right to put its trust in your wisdom, Father. I wish Prince felt the same." Surely that would get Tshula's attention. And if they were wrong about the possession, no doubt Sieghard would regret saying it later.

Spoiler
    Show
    Might be an appropriate time for a perception test. Sieghard is trying to see if Hieronymus suddenly seems more focused/less confused after that last comment. Or if there any other subtle changes in demeanor beyond what could be explained as a reaction to the words themselves.

(1d100)[75]
    FP rerolled to 11 in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2022-08-10 at 12:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    "Do you think the gods likely to forgive something so selfish?"
    "One shouldn't try to second-guess the gods," said Hieronymus. "Only to trust that their judgement will be a just one."

Sieghard saw no flicker on the old priest's face to suggest his words had had any deeper impact - though what he said about the Prince predictably made Hieronymus look a little sour, however briefly. "Well," he said, "Prince Sforza is a man with his mind very firmly on matters of this world rather than the next." He sighed. "He will take the course he chooses to take, and will account for it the same as the rest of us in time." He gave Sieghard a faint, reassuring pat on the arm. "You know you can always come here if you wish to speak about these things - to me, or to any of us."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Nothing... Sieghard wondered if they had perhaps been wrong. He wasn't ready to give up, but he was beginning to have his doubts.

He nodded, still watching for any change in demeanor from the old priest. "All this business with the book..." he said quietly. Though lies and tall tales usually came easily for him, Sieghard didn't enjoy misleading the old priest. "What I'm telling you is between us, you understand. Wouldn't be good if word got out." He tried to play his discomfort as being from that rather than the deception.

"The Prince thinks strength of arms is all he needs protect the book. Ever since the vampire's attack on the temple... You were there, you saw how close he got to claiming it." He hadn't been, but Tshula had no reason to know that. He paused to see if Hieronymus would correct the "mistake." "I think he doubts the priests can do much to help keep it safe."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2022-08-11 at 02:27 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo gave that some thought. "True. I'm not sure that explains the agitation though."

He sighed. "Basically, Herr Al'Makir, you're the one in charge around here while the prince is gone. If you want to leave this to us and the temple, then we'll certainly do so. I'm not sure this is a situation that military resources could help with. But I wanted to make sure you were informed. Going behind Sforza's back has proved unhelpful for us before. To say the least."

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Well... to be fair to his Highness, that is hard to dispute. It was already given to the Temple to guard, and the Temple almost lost it," said Hieronymus, looking very grave. "Certainly while the Jackal was abroad, the greatest threat was that it would be taken by force. Now... the Prince, I think, has not given more thought to his succession than that there should be a successor. But that book has outlasted countless generations before us, and for all we know it will continue to outlast many after we are gone. Relying on personal scruples of whoever wears the crown... I think that is a much weaker link in its protection than soldiers or castle walls."

Hieronymus trailed off, seemingly lost in his own thoughts for a moment or two. Soon enough, though, he brought his focus back to Sieghard. "Mm. Something to press with the Prince again when he returns. Perhaps time away from the city will restore some of his patience."

Ludo

"I appreciate your being straightforward with me, Herr Stubbs," said Al-Makir. "And I would like to help you if I can. But you understand, this is these people's high priest." He looked serious. "We've already had bread riots, people risking their necks to deface the Prince's statue. When I am left to guard the blackpowder store, I don't like to play with matches."

"If there is help I can give that is subtle, that leaves no feathers ruffled, then ask and it will be given. But soldiers onto sacred ground..." he shook his head. "Not without indisputable proof."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard recalled Hieronymus being the sort of man who seemed compelled to correct that sort of mistake. Too many books would do that to a man, he supposed. Did the fact that he hadn't said anything mean anything or did the priest just not consider it an important enough detail to mention?

"We can only hope," he replied. "The prince did seem to be in higher spirits when he passed through Painford." Up until the point where Irene had poisoned herself, anyways.

"Is that what brought you to the castle last night? To speak about the Prince's heir and protecting the book?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2022-08-12 at 01:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo nodded. "I understand. I'm going to speak to brother Cezar next, so I hope you would have his support, should it come to that."

Once his conversation with Al'Makir concluded, Ludo was as good as his word, meeting Cezar at the temple. He was sombre, and gave Cezar a summary of the night's events.

"Sieghard is speaking to the father now. We might have need of your services soon."

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Hieronymus hesitated. The expression on his face was an awkward mixture of confusion and embarassment.

"I have to admit," he said, "my recollection of last night is... not as clear as it could be. I think I must have been over-tired... got things the wrong way round." He paused, a new thought seeming to strike him. "But I certainly wouldn't have been discussing the Prince's heirs with anyone but the Prince. If that's what you're asking."

Sieghard had the feeling that his status as Sforza's sword-hand had cast a sudden, strong shadow over Hieronymus' thinking.

Ludo

Ludo found Cezar tending the Garden of Morr outside.

"Yes," said Cezar, when Ludo had finished his account, "I was going to write to you today. Another episode where he claims to remember very little." He squinted, thinking it over. "You told him you were going to move the Book of Nagash? Did he try to get hold of it?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2022-08-15 at 10:33 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

"He went to the castle in search of it," Ludo said, "seemingly quite agitated. Commander Sieghard should be speaking to him right now."

"I think we may be approaching the point where we consider performing some sort of... exorcism, or ceremony. Would that harm him if it weren't the case?"

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

That seemed to confirm Sieghard's suspicions about Hieronymus not remembering when the daemon was in control.

"Of course. I didn't mean to imply you'd talk of that sort of thing openly" he said, far less concerned about Sforza's privacy than the priest suddenly was. "I'm of the same opinion, if that's worth anything. The prince is a man. One day he'll grow old and one day... A day long off, hopefully... Morr will take him like he takes us all in the end. Too much blood was spilled for the Reaches to be broken again when that happens."

He hadn't proven anything conclusively, but Sieghard knew he couldn't waste Hieronymus's time all day. He would have to trust Ludo's intuition, and if he wanted to lure Tshula out, he would have to gamble on something that would get the daemon's attention.

"That goes for the book as well. The evils that would seek aren't the kind that can be stopped by swords alone. If the Prince can't see that on his own, then the best thing would be to try to convince him. If there's any way I can help with that, all you need do is ask... Though if earns the Prince's anger, you may owe me more than a horse."

Spoiler
    Show
    If the only reaction that gets is a confused look, Sieghard will explain it away as a soldier's saying meaning to metaphorically owe something to make up for the trouble.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

"Not just from speaking the words," said Cezar. "But he's an old man. If you mean to have him seized and restrained..."

Sieghard

"Horse?" Hieronymus looked completely baffled. "I... have I... forgive me, how does the horse come into it?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

"If it comes to that, wouldn't that be proof that it's necessary? If he's in his right mind, he's a reasonable man, he'd agree to it."

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

Cezar looked doubtful. "He's the High Priest," he said. "If he agrees to be exorcised, he agrees his behaviour is erratic enough to justify the suspicion." He compressed his lips into a tight line. "One way or another, it seems like asking him to step down."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Oh, that's just a saying the men I used to fight alongside would use," Sieghard replied, feeling suddenly very foolish. "Mostly the scouts. They had bad luck with losing theirs or having them shot from under them. It means something like I can but the end would have to be worth the trouble. So... convince the Prince without making earning his ire." He had hoped saying as much would've gotten the daemon interested enough to reveal itself. Instead, he feared he had just let Tshula know that he was aware of what was going on and had gained nothing from it.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2022-08-18 at 11:04 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Ludo

Cezar looked doubtful. "He's the High Priest," he said. "If he agrees to be exorcised, he agrees his behaviour is erratic enough to justify the suspicion." He compressed his lips into a tight line. "One way or another, it seems like asking him to step down."
    Ludo considered that. "True. But if it comes to it, that would surely be better than jumping him on the street."

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Ah," said Hieronymus. "I see." He didn't seem like he saw. "Well, certainly if you feel you have any influence with his Highness... raising the issue wouldn't go amiss. But I wouldn't ask you to overstep your bounds."

Ludo

Cezar still looked uncomfortable. "Neither are what I would call ideal," he said. "But it sounds like you have a plan already, Herr Stubbs. Perhaps if you can tell me what it is, we'll be on firmer ground."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo shook his head sadly. "I don't. If the Daemon gets too suspicious, it might hurt him. If we don't do anything, it might get what it wants. And anything we do, we might hurt him."

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

Cezar paused for a while in thought.

"What you told me before," he said, "about your suspicions - I haven't shared it with any of the other priests here in the city. I've been keeping an eye on him, as you asked. He's had... one or two lapses of memory, but nothing as dramatic as this."

"If it were to become public knowledge that Father Hieronymus was infirm, I don't think there's anyone here in Savonne who would jump to unseat him - but there are others who might. Father Bonifatius is still unhappy that the leadership of the Temple did not remain with the Cult of Morr, and the Azrillite order are ambitious." He cleared his throat. "And if he were to be taken against his will, then obviously the other clergy here in the city wouldn't take it well. It seems to me... if anything is to be done, then there would be a great advantage to its being done in secret."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I'm not sure how much influence I actually have in that sort of thing," Sieghard said, fairly certain the answer was not very much at all, "But I'll bring it up when there's a chance. For now though, I think I've taken enough of your time. Thank you again, Father."

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Titan in the Playground

"I understand," Ludo said. "Herr Al'Makir concurred. I think perhaps if we were to visit the father at his own lodgings... how many people would you want for an exorcism? Would father Hechsler be useful? I understand Sigmarites have, uh, strong opinions on this."

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

"I've never performed an exorcism myself," said Cezar, "but I did do some reading after our last conversation. I don't believe it's a burden that can be easily shared - particularly between priests of different gods. Different rites." He gave a slight shrug. "If there were a god you thought this daemon had more reason to fear than others, then that's where I would turn. Otherwise... Father Hechsler may be more experienced in these matters, I don't know. But Elmridge is a long way."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

"It's a creature of lies," Ludo said with a sad smile. "If only we had another Verenan." He missed Adelbert very much then.

"Let's not wait for Hechlser. I think the daemon is suspicious already, and I worry that another week would give it time for some kind of scheme. Can you meet us at the end of Summer Street at sundown? With anyone else you'd like to have there?"
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2022-08-30 at 02:28 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

Cezar appeared to think for a long time. “No-one else,” he said at last, with a shake of his head. “I’ll be there. But if we’re wrong… I want the responsibility to start and end with me.”

He went back to tending the garden with a pensive look on his face. The responsibilities of life at the Temple certainly seemed to be weighing heavier on Cezar than his stewardship of the Ravenskird chapel - Ludo thought he could see a few more grey hairs on the priest’s head than he remembered. Parting ways, he made his way back to the front of the building, where Sieghard was waiting by the gate.

As the two of them were making their way back through the narrow streets of the Old Town, Ludo was startled by a furtive psst behind him. Turning, he found himself looking up at the distinctive red beard and wide-brimmed hat of Captain Sandu.

“It is you,” said the smuggler, sounding none too happy about it. His gaze flicking between Ludo and Sieghard, he beckoned them into an alley where they were less in the public view. “There’s a message for the fire witch. Can you get it to her?”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"He had no memory of last night," Sieghard recounted as they walked, "From what I could gather, most of the time he's himself. When the daemon takes control though, it's like the real Hieronymus falls asleep. He doesn't know what's happening and won't remember it when he 'wakes up' again." Before he could say more, his train of thought was interrupted by Sandu.

"We can get it to her," Sieghard said "Whose it from? She'll want to know."

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

"Someone who's almost as much trouble as you lot," said Sandu. "You don't know him, but he's waiting at the Fat Fish right now. Said he'll be waiting there all day." He paused, looking uncomfortable. "Said to tell her, he's got what she was looking for in Morr's Seat."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

"Al'Makir basically told us just not to drag him into it. I spoke to Cezar and asked him to meet us at sundown," Ludo said. "He's willing to try an exorcism but doesn't expect - is this one of those messages where you hit me? I had to deliver a few of those for Viggo."

"Who was it?"
    Ludo asked. "One of the Raven's Hill men?"

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

Sandu gave a brief nod. "From round those parts," he said. "But not one of the Norscan's lot."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb