New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIII

Sieghard, Ludo & Urgrim

"Uh, she was, uh, tall," said the boy, both nervous and excited to be questioned further. "With messy hair like the lady," he added, pointing to Jocasta. She widened her eyes in mock offence. "I don't think she was carrying anything... but it was dark."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Do you remember anything about her clothes?" Sieghard asked the boy. "Were they nice or were they plain? And were they dark colors or light colors?"

He turned to his men. "Take a look around and see if they left any sort of trail." He didn't have much hope. Any tracks that the woman or her wolves had left would be at least half a week old by now and had likely been tread over. Still, there was little enough that they had to work with.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Urgrim & Ludo

"I - I didn't see," said the boy, increasingly shamefaced at his inability to answer Sieghard's questions. "Everything looks dark in the dark."

"I can show you the trails where we've seen 'em," volunteered his older brother. "I don't know about this lady you're looking for, but the wolves aren't hard to find."

A search of their immediate surroundings around the swineherd's hut turned up no telltale prints or shreds of clothing, with much of the ground turned over by the foraging pigs. Joining the searchers, Alin pointed out west into the woods.

"That's the direction we see 'em most often," he said. "I think they've got their den somewhere out there. Not sure how close." He lowered his arm. "Hasn't felt safe to go lookin'."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Smart choice," Sieghard told him. "Couple of pigs aren't worth the risk. Leave it to us and we'll get it sorted out."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard is going to let Urgrim and the crossbowmen take the lead from here. If nothing else turns up, he'll stay as long as he can while still being able to make it to Savonne on time and then leave it in Ludo's hands.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Ludo & Urgrim

Leaving the soldiers to their work, the swineherd and his family returned inside with Jocasta. Following the heading Alin had given them, Urgrim was off and away into the trees, looking for signs of anything more predatory than pigs.

The tracks weren’t fresh, but to eyes as experienced as Urgrim’s, they were still there. Following deer-tracks through the brambles and thorns that gave the forest its name, he traced a path west, into the wilder woods that climbed up towards the open hills bordering the Mere. There were no dwellings here, and the Thorns kept their crossbows ready, watching the shadows beneath the leafless trees with keen eyes.

“We should be heading back soon,” said Tomas, looking up through the branches at the westward-sinking sun. He no longer seemed quite as unafraid of wolves as he had on the journey down. “Don’t want to be caught out here after dark.”

Up at the head of the group, it was unclear if Urgrim could hear him. Drawing his axe, the dwarf cut his way through a particularly dense tangle of the thorns, pushing his way through to the other side. From the way he called back, it sounded like he had found something.

When they caught up with him, he was standing in a small clearing, its approaches heavily overgrown with brambles. A great rock loomed over the far side, perhaps washed down long ago out of the higher hills. Now it was half-sunk into the earth, its weathered point leaning over the clearing like the prow of a wrecked ship. Stunted trees had wrapped their roots around it, lichen softening its sharp lines - and in the shadows beneath it, a litter of gnawed and splintered bones showed it was home to more than plants.

One of the Thorns let out a low whistle, turning over an antlered stag’s skull with the toe of his boot. There were bones of deer, of goats, of pigs and rabbits - even the bones of a wolf, looking just as gnawed-upon as the others. None of them looked particularly fresh.

Approaching the deep hollow under the rock, Urgrim peered into it, picking up one of the bones that lay scattered there. “Looks like they’ve abandoned the place,” he said. “No wolves here for a few days, I’d say, at least.”

“Hungry beggars,” said one of the Thorns. “Look at all these bones! This’d feed a whole kennel of hounds.”

“Sir,” said another, who was probing through the brambles on the clearing’s edge. “Take a look at this.”

Half-buried among the vegetation were the scattered bones of a horse - and still encasing the ribcage was the rusted shell of a set of black steel barding. The flesh had been stripped from every part that the wolves’ teeth could reach under the metal, and what remained where they couldn’t was shrivelled and rotten - but Sieghard was sure this was Ehrl’s horse.
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-06-02 at 08:36 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"So it is the Rivermouth bitch then," Sieghard said. He was relieved that there didn't seem to be any human bones among the pile, but knew that unless Mala was caught quickly, there would be men among her victims soon enough.

"We'll find a place to make camp and figure out what to do from there once we've got more light. Any wolves try making trouble and I'll cut them down myself... I could use another pelt."

Spoiler
    Show
    Am I right to assume it's getting close to dusk? Also, can Urgrim or the Thorns tell which direction Mala went after leaving this place behind?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Urgrim & Ludo

"Make camp?" said Tomas. "Shouldn't we be - you know - heading back to the homestead?" He looked around at the trees. "Who knows where they've got to..."

"Looks like they headed north," said Urgrim. "Might've been the same pack we heard on the way down here."

Tomas looked up at the sky again. "There's still some light," he said. "If we hurry we'll make it back."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #278
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla found herself wondering just how the priests would respond to that but it was not her job to intervene there. She curtsied to Sforza. "Your highness." Turning to her maid she said, "Come Ida we must be away."

She smiled briefly at Elsa before taking her leave. Though she wanted to ask after Tattie it seemed unwise to seem more friendly with the wizardess than she had to be when in the presence of Sforza.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"You're not afraid of some wolves, are you Tomas?" Sieghard grumbled. "Fine. We'll head back, but we're making an early start tomorrow. The hag has lived long enough. I don't want her escaping again."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo nodded. "Her trail will last much better in the forest than out there in the desert. We can wait until tomorrow."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Urgrim & Ludo

Retracing their steps to the swineherd’s hut was easier than the journey out - where they had had to forge a path through bracken and brambles, now the path had already been forged. Still, the night was closing in by the time they saw the solitary light of a lantern in the window. Bundling back into the warm, they found Jocasta waiting by the hearth, talking with the mother of the house.

The house had not been built to house half a dozen unexpected guests, and the Thorns bedded down on the floor without complaining. Sitting up by the window, Urgrim listened to the sounds of the Thornwood at night, allowing his mind to wander. Tonight, there was no howling on the wind.

Aubentag, 29th Ulriczeit

Urgrim & Ludo

Conscious of his appointment with the Prince, Sieghard left early the following morning, heading back for the Painford road. For someone else, the decision to travel alone might have been questionable - but Ludo felt more sorry for any robbers or wild beasts who stumbled across Sieghard’s path than vice versa.

Packing up their own things, Ludo, Urgrim and the Thorns headed back out to the wolves’ lair. There was still no sign of the animals themselves, but searching over the clearing, Urgrim found the freshest tracks seemed to head north.

Konigstag, 33rd Ulriczeit

Sieghard

It was late on Konigstag when Sieghard arrived in Savonne, dusty and weary from the journey. Smoke rose from hundreds of chimneys, the sharp winter wind breaking its twisting trails against the unforgiving flanks of the Rock. On the streets, those without fires or roofs to keep them warm held out their hands for charity, drawing their ragged clothes tight agains the cold.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Breaking here because you indicated Sieghard had business in Savonne before the Mondstill gathering, but let me know when you’re ready to move on to that. Bear in mind it’s late on the 33rd (~7pm) when Sieghard arrives.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Tired from his travels, Sieghard made his way towards the Fat Fish for a warm meal and a drink. He handed a few coins to those he passed, but didn't stop long... it was getting late, there were many of them, and he was conscious of appearing too chatitable.

Once he had finished his food, he swapped gossip with the other patrons. He had heard that Sutter's Theater Company had been in Savonne before and was curious if they were still around.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Fat Fish isn't listed in the OOC thread, but if it's availible, he'll pay for a bath and then change into one of his sets of good clothes that he picked up when passing through Painford.

(1d100)[9] vs 64 Gossip
    (1d100)[72] Reroll

Sieghard wants to find out if Sutter's Company is in Savonne and if so, where they're performing and how long they'll be around. If not, he wants to find out their last known location. This is all he's interested in doing before heading to the castle.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2021-06-04 at 01:05 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

"So what," Ludo asked, partially to Urgrim and partially to himself. "Is she headed for Rivermouth again? Or to the island in the swamp?"

He shrugged. "At least there's only so much trouble she can cause there."

He indicated that they should continue, and warned the thorns cautiously to keep a keen eye out: he had no intention of being attacked by wolves again.

"So what do you reckon?" He asked Urgi in a lower voice. "Size of the paws, length of the gait... are these wolves as big as they say?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo is keeping an eye out in case of ambush: Perception vs 68: (got an 81 in the OOC). He also has Sixth Sense.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo & Urgrim, 28th Ulriczeit

It was hard for Urgrim to say for sure where the pack was headed. If they kept a straight course, it looked like their path would take them over the spur of the Iron Claw Hills that separated this stretch of the Thornwood from the Mere, very close to the ruins of Rivermouth - but in these woods, it would be more natural for a path to weave than follow a straight line.

“Looks like there might be some big ones, aye,” was Urgrim’s response to Ludo’s second question. “Maybe grobi-bred, taking over the pack like the pig-man said. I’d say most of them are normal-sized, mind. Local.”

Sieghard, 33rd Ulriczeit

“Sutter’s?” said the woman Sieghard was speaking to. “They went north at the turn of the month. Up to Alvarran, I heard.” She caught herself. “Sorry, Castle Deerayner.”

Tilean clearly wasn’t her strong point.

Mondstill

Sieghard, Elsa & Jarla

The gathering of Sforza’s inner circle was held in a private room behind the great hall, lit by the fire from one of the castle’s many hearths. Jarla watched anxiously as the food and drink were served, but if anyone noticed the care and effort she had put into it, they didn’t seem to show it. Most of Sforza’s court were old soldiers, and wolfed down anything that was put in front of them, particularly when they had just arrived from a long journey. Only Irene seemed to approach the meal with visible discernment - and watching her, Jarla felt she hadn’t done too badly.

When the last courses had been cleared away, the servants left the room, and the Prince stood up to speak. “Friends,” said Sforza. “It’s been a long year, and a hard one. This business with the Jackal robbed us of the peace we deserved after the victory over Alvarr. I’m sure all of us here remember the faces who were still with us at Mondstill last year.” He raised his cup. “To absent friends.”

The assembled lords and lieutenants toasted him back.

“The Reaches need time to recover,” said Sforza. “A year to rest and rebuild. But beyond that, we should be looking to the future. That is what I’ve brought you here to discuss.”

“This is a rich land we have conquered, but remote. The merchants of Miragliano or Luccini would pay twice the price for our goods than they can sell for here, but the road to us is too long and dangerous.” He held out a hand to Barbaro, who handed him a map that he unrolled over the table. It was drawn on a large scale, taking in the full sweep of the Border Princes.

“North of us here is the entrance to Mad Dog Pass. The road there runs straight west to Barak Varr, and the trade of the Black Gulf. More than that, it runs east.” Drawing a dagger from his belt, he traced the thin line of the pass across the peaks of the World’s Edge. “A gateway to the Ivory Road, and all the silks and spices of the east. For centuries our Tilean merchants have taken the old dwarf road, for safety - but if Mad Dog Pass was held by a strong ruler? It would cut two weeks off the journey from Miragliano across the mountains.”

“The word from the river traders on the Azril is that there are two lords currently vying for the head of the pass - men by the names of Rutgar and Hiln. Yesterday, I dispatched Volker and his company north, to seek employment with them, and send back word of which seems in the weaker position. The spring after next, that is the one we will offer our gracious assistance.”

Carraciolo grinned, while Barbaro and Al-Makir smiled. Irene permitted herself the tiniest upward twist at the corner of her mouth.

“I was wondering about Signor Volker,” said Barbaro. “What are his troop calling themselves now? Surely they cannot stay as Falkenwald’s Falcons.”

“Volker’s Vultures,” suggested Carraciolo, to the laughter of others around the table. Sforza looked amused.

“No-one can accuse young Volker of not seeing which way the wind blows,” said the Prince. “I think all of us here can agree that the best place for him is somewhere far from here, betraying someone else.” He held up a hand to curtail the laughter that followed. “But all this is to let you know what we are building towards. We did not come here to carve out one more petty princedom. The Reaches are only the beginning - and for our next campaign to succeed, we must make sure we are prepared.”

Now the Prince’s manner became brusque and business-like. “We are no longer condottieri. We are lords of the land now, and must conduct ourselves as such. I want each of you here to raise a levy of soldiers from the lands I have given you. Once this next year is out our fighting strength must be more than replenished - we must have enough men to guard the Reaches while our main corps is away to the north.”

He looked to Valdes. “Our greatest threat is likely greenskins from the south. Esteban, I want you to build me watchtowers along the Caerfort road, to keep watch on the tribes in the hills.” Valdes nodded. “The more secure we can make that road, the better-connected Last Water will stay to the rest of the realm.”

“We have changes to make here in Savonne, too. Too much of this city is still built on the same stones that were laid a thousand years ago. It had already outgrown its walls before Alvarr put the outlying districts to the torch. I intend to begin rebuilding the city east of the river, with a new fort to guard the bridge. We’ll need the space to garrison our new companies. Giovanni, I want you to supply us with stone, and Sieghard, timber. As much as you can." He looked to the two of them. "Do you foresee any problems?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here's a map so you can see what Sforza's talking about.
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-06-05 at 08:19 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard looked skeptical, but kept his concerns to himself. All of the mountain passes were dotted with the lairs of greenskins and other monsters.

"Giovanni, I want you to supply us with stone, and Sieghard, timber. As much as you can. Do you foresee any problems?"

"No big ones, though the Rivermouth hag is still skulking about," Sieghard answered. "She's just one woman and not the threat her master was, there's something unnatural about what she's up to. Somehow she's got a pack of wolves under her control and she's been raiding livestock from the homesteads around the forest. I've given Ludo men to track her down, but we don't yet know if she's got some goal beyond staying alive or how large a pack she commands."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Savonne, Mondstill

Sforza didn’t look best pleased to have Mala brought into the conversation. “Well,” he said, “we can’t have wolves in the woods, witch or no witch. I trust you'll do what you need to do to keep the south road safe.” He drummed his fingers on the table. "A hunt would be no bad thing."

“Speaking of wolves,” said Carraciolo, “we have some two-legged ones in the north. The shepherds in the valley say the Raven Hills people are raiding their herds again. I have been making preparations to take a detachment of Iron Company into the hills and make an example of some of these bandits.” He bowed his head to the Sforzas. “With your highness’ permission, of course.”

Sforza nodded. “See it done, Giovanni,” he said. “Make sure they understand, they answer to the crown. They cannot choose to set themselves apart.” He paused, thinking. “I hear they make good blades in Morr’s Seat. You can equip your new recruits from there. Make it part of their tithe.”

Clearing his throat, Al-Makir leaned forward. “Is there a plan for how to pay these new companies?” he asked, delicately. “And feed them? Your highness knows that supplies in that area are currently… short.”

“We will not be paying Iron Company rates,” said Sforza. “Levies worked for Alvarr, they can work for us. As for food, I think we can make the current shortages work in our favour. Let the people know that joining up means a square meal.” He gave Abdul a hard look. “Our agreement with the dwarfs still stands, does it not?”

“It does, your highness,”

“Then we should have no difficulty finding the funds.” That seemed to be the end of the matter - or at least, as far as Al-Makir was willing to push it.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #287

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla tried to hide her disappointment that no one had noticed her efforts, and her own feelings about being out of her depth in the political talk. - especially since she had no land to raise troops from.

Still, she thought she should say something. "Your highness do you intend to send an embassy to Barak Varr? I am no nativevof these lands but they would seem to be the power of the region and would pay close attention to a new kingdom rising to their east."

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa was not too happy to see Sforza already plotting new wars while many of his people starved, though she supposed that was no surprise. Nothing would ever be enough for him. There was always another land to conquer. She stared at the map for a moment while Khalida slithered around its edges, innocently poking her snake head over the spot that said 'Here Be Wyrms'.

Would a feudal tyrant have been better than Sforza? Or some savage northman who drinks out of his enemies' skulls? Or a mad knight?

The dwarfs would write down my name just for saying this, but it looks like the elf was one of the better choices.

She cleared her throat. "The wolves in the Thornwood could be an opportunity to test my apprentice's mettle... Amber wizards have been known to turn loyal dogs against their masters."

She then looked at Carraciolo. "As for the situation in the north, I'd wager many of those bandits are survivors of the Battle of the Burning Hill, or know someone who is. It was a small engagement in scale, but it's bound to have put the fear of me in the people of the Raven Hills. My mere presence there could help pacify them."

"So I'm not sure where to go. I'm not confident sending my apprentice to her first battle without me by her side. Luckily I think the situation in the south can be resolved quicker, as there's only one person to deal with."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-06-05 at 11:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Savonne, Mondstill

Sforza nodded to Jarla. "We'll make our approach to King Grundadrakk once we have something tangible to offer. But yes, that will come in time."

Caracciolo scoffed at Elsa's thoughts. "The Iron Company won't need help putting down bandits, signora," he said. "I wouldn't waste your time."

"The girl," said Sforza, "your apprentice. How successful would you say you've been in training her?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-06-05 at 11:48 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

"The Iron Company won't need help putting down bandits, signora. I wouldn't waste your time."

Elsa bristled at Carraciolo's casual dismissal of her offer for help, but Sforza spoke before she could think up a good retort: "The girl, your apprentice. How successful would you say you've been in training her?"

"I've been pushing her past her comfort zone since our return from the south," said Elsa. After almost dying twice in Nath, she wanted to make sure Tatiana had enough training to carry on without Elsa, if need be. "The girl's skilled, so long as she doesn't stop to think too hard about how she's doing it. Like the proverbial centipede. Or myself at the same age. Her spells are sloppily woven, but effective. It helps that my Red Wind and her Amber Wind have a somewhat similar temperament."

"In practical terms... I think she casts well under pressure."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

21. - Top - End - #291

BlackDragon

Jarla

"I could chaperone your apprentice Holt," Jarla suggested. "I met Mala once and I suspect that escaped witch might cause up trouble if we don't get her... and if nothing else I could return with a wolf fur stole."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

"Kind of you to offer, Frau Schreiber," said Elsa, remembering to treat Jarla with some formality in Irene's presence, "but a wizard faces dangers against which non-wizards can do little. If it were only a matter of protecting her from mundane threats, I'd fully trust Commander Sieghard and his Thorns. I won't turn you down, but I'd like to be there too."

She added: "And of course it all depends on whether Tattie wants to go. She doesn't work for the Prince."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-06-05 at 03:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard grumbled when Elsa referred to the Battle of the Burning Hill as small. It may not have compared to the Battle of Arrow Heap, but it had still been the second biggest of the war.

"I'd like to see what she can do with my own eyes before making any plans around her abilities," Sieghard said.

"The hill men are among the few in the Reaches who knew the Jackal for the monster it was," he said. "They may accept your rule more readily if they heard that he was revived and slain again." he paused. "They've got no discipline, but that can be learned and they're eager fighters. If it worked, they could prove more useful alive than dead."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2021-06-05 at 03:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Savonne, Mondstill

Carraciolo still looked dismissive, but Sforza gave him a firm look that showed he was in agreement with Sieghard. "Take Alessandro with you when you return," said the Prince. "He carried the standard when we put the beast down. He can tell the story first-hand." Carraciolo gave a deferential nod.

Turning back to Elsa, Sforza paused before speaking again. "Wolves are wolves. I'm sure our Warden of the Thornwood is as capable of putting them down without magic as he is of providing a guard." He drummed his fingers once against the table. "But I would like to see the girl's abilities tested. Her... training has cost us good men. It would be good to see the decision to keep her proved right."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa winced slightly. "No worries, I'll be keeping a close eye on her. If she's willing, we'll ride south tomorrow."

She was now eager for Sforza to change the subject.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

"The goblins up north didn't have any wolves," Ludo mused. "Maybe there's a goblin with them as well? Trade the wolves for... something? Or maybe the staff lets Mala control dogs?" Neither of those seemed entirely satisfying to him, and he lapsed into silence for the next part of the journey.

OOC

Spoiler
    Show
    Happy to keep following the trail until either something else comes up, we lose it, or the end of the day.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo & Urgrim, 28th Ulriczeit

Neither Urgrim nor the Thorns seemed to have any revelations of their own as to what Mala might be doing with the wolves. Picking up the trail from the clearing’s edge, Urgrim led them after it as far as he could before the sun began to sink in the west. The pack seemed to have skirted the edge of the open hills, sticking to the cover of the forest’s edge.

“It looks like they were moving fast,” said Urgrim, when at last they sat down to rest. “Not much chance of us catching up with them, if they kept up the pace.”

Looking north through the dwindling light, Ludo tried his best to gauge where they were with respect to the places he knew. He thought they were only a few miles shy of being in sight of the Mere - and he knew that somewhere very close in the wild, untended woods up ahead lay the ruins of Rivermouth. Sforza’s soldiers had left nothing there but rubble and ash, but still their nearness to the village preyed on his memories.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are you camping out on the trail, or doubling back to the swineherd’s house?

Savonne, Mondstill

“If she’s willing?” Irene picked up. “I’m confused, Holt. She’s your apprentice, isn’t she? I thought since the incident you had her on a short leash.”

The silence around the table grew thick. Clearly everyone remembered the trial; none of them seemed to want to put themselves in the middle. Only Sforza seemed not to feel the tension - or perhaps felt himself above it.

“Agreed,” said the Prince. “It’s time she was put to the test, Holt. Don’t let her shrink from it.” He seemed to consider that the matter settled - looking away, he took in the rest of the table. “We have a lot of work ahead of us. All of you are welcome to stay here in the keep for as long as it takes to work out the details of your tasks. I believe Abdul has the figures.” He waved details aside as if they were gnats. “Otherwise, after tonight, we may not see you again until the new year. I wish you good fortune - and remember, this is only the beginning.” He raised his cup again. “Sangue e oro!

His veterans raised theirs, repeating the Iron Company motto.

~

After the Sforzas had retired, their guests began to go their separate ways. Valdes and Al-Makir had gone off deep in conversation about building supplies, while Barbaro remained at the table, polishing off the last of the wine. As she rose to excuse herself, Jarla found Giovanni Carraciolo giving her a certain look.

“You are rising far and fast, nobildonna,” he said with a smile. “First the titles, and now you are attending discussions of strategy. Do you know some secret of our Prince's that he is paying you to keep quiet?” His grin broadened to show he was joking. “Or of the principessa's, perhaps. That I think I would like to hear more.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

"If she's willing?" Irene picked up. "I'm confused, Holt. She's your apprentice, isn't she? I thought since the incident you had her on a short leash."

"Agreed," said the Prince. "It's time she was put to the test, Holt. Don't let her shrink from it."

"She's my responsibility so long as she is my apprentice," said Elsa evenly, managing not to glare at Irene. "It falls to me to decide when she's ready and to take responsibility if she fails."

She paused. "She won't fail. She was born to solve this exact kind of problem."

After the meeting, Elsa asked Sieghard for details about the wolves, then went in search of Tatiana. She found her apprentice riding her chestnut mare just outside the city walls.

"There's trouble in the south again," she said without preamble, "and this time I'd like you to come with me. Packs of wolves have been attacking peasants' herds in the Thornwood. Witnesses say that a woman walks among them."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-06-08 at 03:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #299

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla looked at Carraciolo in surprise, then smiled: "My dear Giovanni I will have to hear much more flattery to get any secrets from me... But if you wish to talk I think a stroll together would be very pleasant."

She holds out an elegant arm. "Shall we?"

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Savonne, Mondstill

Jarla

Carraciolo put his arm through Jarla's. "With pleasure," he said.

The night outside was cold and clear. The moons were out, and by Mannslieb's light they climbed the stairs of the castle's curtain wall. Jarla noted how the Iron Company sentries on guard saluted as Carraciolo passed them by.

"This is a proper city," he said, looking out over the sea of roofs below them. Candles and lanterns glittered in windows and alleyways, scattered across the darkened city like a mirror of the stars above them. "I almost envy you, you know. You're where the action is." He sighed. "I didn't even get to see the beast brought down. Guard the pass, Giovanni. Guard my wife, Giovanni." He smiled and shook his head. "You know by now the principessa can look after herself."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't have any particular direction for this conversation - if there's anything in particular you want to get out of him, let me know + give me any tests you want to accompany it.

Elsa

Tatiana looked attentive and polite at her mistress' approach. "A woman?" she asked. She hesitated. "Someone... someone like us?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb