New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIII

"I can take him? I'd like that. I mean... if it would be useful."

"Of course you can!" said Elsa. "Also keep an eye out for any other horses that ran away last night. If you return Vedenzo, be sure to ask the Prince for permission to keep another of your choosing. I don't think he'll refuse you."

"Ah, there's Jarla..." Elsa waved at the Schreiber sister.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-03 at 02:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"A moment, please," Sieghard said as Sforza turned to leave. "What about the dead that the vampire had enslaved?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sforza paused on his way out of the tent. "What about them?" he asked. "They're dead."

Ludo

Ludo found the Prince supervising the packing up of his command tent. "Ah, Stubbs," he said, as he saw the halfling approaching. "My men found you?"
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Where are the bodies?" Sieghard asked. "They gave their lives fighting the vampire for you. Died trying to rescue your subjects from him. They deserve to have their remains brought home and buried properly."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"A little late to save their souls, aren't we?" said Sforza. There was a beat, then he sighed and turned back to face Sieghard properly.

"We saw the bodies in the square under the tower. More than a hundred. Even if we wanted to, we couldn't carry them with us." He paused. "If you want to take charge of burying them, I can leave you the hammer-priest and the labourers. But graves or no graves, the army leaves today."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jarla

Seeing the two approach Jarla smiled and waved. "Good morning. Out for a stroll this vampire free morning?"

Taking one of her apples in one hand she gracefully threw it to Tatiana. "For you; Countess loves them especially the greener ones. Oh I spoke with your friend Urgrim last night Elsa. He told me a few things we should discuss. But that can wait."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

"They did, mio principe," Ludo said. "I wanted to ask if you would consider returning the spearhead to the Dwimmulsons. They created it originally, and consider it theirs. I think it might be more valuable as a gesture of goodwill, now we no longer have a vampire to kill with it."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

"That had certainly crossed my mind," said Sforza. "You have it with you?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

"I do." Ludo said. "Herr Jotunsson was asking after it."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

"Really?" said Sforza, looking over Ludo's head to see if he could catch sight of Urgrim. "Signor Jotunnsson does not speak for the Dwimmulsons, I believe."

He returned his attention to Ludo. "Such decisions are not taken lightly, of course. And this is is a precious thing. I wish it to travel with me, back to Savonne." He held out his hand, palm open. "If you please, signor Stubbs."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

"But he does speak to them." Ludo said. Still, he drew the spearhead from his pack and handed it over to Sforza. "I hope you'll consider what I've said, mio Principe. They were...unusually flexible in allowing Commander Sieghard to keep it before, and that was one of the things that won us the day yesterday."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not really much I can do but throw a Charm test at this I think, (1d100)[58] vs 92

"If I may, your highness, might I ask if you have a duty in mind for the Thorns, when we return to the Vale?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh I spoke with your friend Urgrim last night Elsa. He told me a few things we should discuss. But that can wait."

"Hmm. For sure," said Elsa. There were not that many topics for Urgrim and Jarla to discuss, so she had her suspicions. "Did you have any plans today, Jarla? I was just telling Tattie that some of our horses ran off during the battle with the vampire. She has a way with animals, and you saw which way they ran, so I'm thinking the two of you could try to round them up. Horses are precious in these parts."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

13. - Top - End - #43

BlackDragon

Jarla

"That honestly sounds a nice way to clear my head," Jarla said. "I didn't have any plans for today, especially since the prince couldn't be bothered to send thanks for saving his life yesterday so a little ride would be just want I want. Besides I'd like to see if wildflower girl here really can talk to animals. What do you say Tattie, will we ride?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"And the empty carts as well?" Sieghard replied. They had lost one of the trebuchets and gone through much of the food they had brought when they marched south. It might not be enough to carry all of the dead, but there was surely enough room to carry those who could be identified as his own men. Kleinrabe's people and the Caerfort dead would have to be buried closer - though still a good distance away from Nath itself if he could help it.

"I'll see to it," he said, forcing himself to his feet and then pausing to steady himself. "I owe them that much."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"For Morr's sake, Sieghard, most of them have been dead for a month or more," said Sforza. "Your men won't thank you if you make them carry that cross country." Seeing the determination on Sieghard's face, he relented. "If Abdul thinks we can spare any carts, we'll leave them. But bring them back in one piece. You know Abdul will keep count."

Ludo

Taking the spearhead, Sforza weighed it in his hand, turning it over so it caught the light. For a moment, his attention was so wholly occupied by it that it seemed as if he'd forgotten Ludo was there. Then, at the sound of Ludo's voice, he looked up.

"As a matter of fact, I spoke to their commander just now," he said. "He's volunteered them for grave digging duty." He gave Ludo a curious look. "After that... is there something you were going to request?"

Elsa & Jarla

Tatiana didn't seem to take to being called 'wildflower girl', but nodded. "If you please," she said.
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-03 at 06:17 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #46

BlackDragon

Elsa & Jarla

Jarla privately felt that someone who voluntarily answered to 'Tattie' had no business being picky about nicknames but she bit her tongue on that. Instead she introduced the girl to Countess.

"This dappled dame has carried me all the way from Averland, and she's probably my best friend. Countess this is Tatiana".

She mounted her steed in a practiced yet graceful motion. "Ready when you are wizardess."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

"I was going to volunteer them for patrolling the south of the Thornwood," Ludo said. "It's their home territory and most familiar ground, and if the Rivermouth Witch wants to leave the desert, she'll be passing through there or into the Vale. And frankly, I think after everything the regiment has been through over the past month, they'd appreciate something more, ah, straightforward."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just remembered we still had our friend Meskhenet. We don't want to forget about her. I want to know if she has anything to say about Nahorek's defeat.

Shortly after Ludo's talk with Sforza, Elsa sought out the halfling and asked permission to borrow Meskhenet. "I'd like to talk to her in my tent. You can come, if you like."

She carried the box gingerly to her tent and opened it.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-04 at 11:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

“Sieghard is steward of the Thornwood,” said Sforza. “When they’re done here, that’s where I’d expect them to return.”

Turning away to direct the soldiers carrying his luggage, he got briefly sidetracked into a brisk conversation in Tilean. Seeing Ludo still standing there, he turned back towards him.

“The campaign is over, signor Stubbs,” he said. “And winter is almost with us. All the men deserve some rest, and, Myrmidia willing, they will get it.” Two soldiers laid down a heavy chest beside him, and he passed them the spearhead to lock inside it. “We’re heading home.”

Horseback Adventures

Tattie looked up at Countess with obvious appreciation. Countess seemed very at ease in her presence as well - lowering her head, she allowed the girl to stroke her long snout.

Elsa’s stallion was another matter. Snorting and stamping when Jarla rode near, the big black horse looked like sixteen hands of trouble. Countess shied away from him at first, but when Tatiana heaved herself up into the saddle, he seemed to calm down. It was a peculiar sight, seeing this slip of a girl mounted on such a powerful steed - but still, she seemed to take to it naturally enough. Weaving through the lines of soldiers that were busily disassembling the camp, the two of them rode out into the hills.

The thick clouds that had lingered over the valley since before Jarla’s arrival were beginning to break up, and ragged patches of sunlight could be seen racing over the stony hillside, moving as fast as Countess could gallop. Following the line of the ridge until they had left the camp well behind, they gave their horses free rein, and soon found themselves dipping down into one of the gulleys that ran down towards the north. Ordinarily it would have been a dry ravine, but with the recent rains, a fast-running stream gushed and gurgled along its bottom. The water was dark with the grit and dust washed down from the rocky heights.

Bastard drank greedily from the stream, though Countess turned her nose up at the muddy water. Following its course north, the two horses took up a leisurely pace, only breaking into a brief canter whenever Countess felt the need to put more distance between herself and Bastard. Between the work of keeping her unruly mount in check, and perhaps a degree of intimidation at riding with this well-dressed stranger, Tatiana didn’t talk much. She kept her eyes on her surroundings, alert and watchful.

It was getting on past noon, and Jarla was beginning to wish she’d brought some lunch, when they sighted what they’d been looking for. Three riderless, still saddled and trailing their reins, were munching on a hardy thornbush that had taken root in the gully ahead. They were so covered in dust that it was difficult to tell the true colours of their coats, but Jarla felt pretty sure that the nearest of the three was Sforza’s white horse.

“We shouldn’t startle them,” said Tatiana. “I’ll go on foot. Will you hold this one?”

Turning his head, Bastard gave Jarla a baleful look.

Back at the Camp

By noon, the bulk of the army was on the move. The Falcons took the head of the column, leading the way for the Iron Company and the Dwimmulsons. Most of the camp followers were going with them too, including Rudi and his cooking. Only the Brotherhood and the Maneaters remained behind, along with the Thorns and a rough gaggle of civilian labourers.

A couple of hours after the Prince’s vanguard had disappeared from view, Valdes poked his head into the tent where Sieghard was recuperating. “The ogres have got the last of Alvarr’s catapult packed away,” he said. “We’ll be leaving soon - we need to strike this tent if Sister Ioana is going to come with us.” He examined Sieghard with a careful eye. “Are you going to be alright, holding down the command here? You still look like death.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-04 at 12:16 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #50

BlackDragon

Jarla and Tatiana

Jarla gave Bastard a doubtful look, but dismounted and after giving Countess a reassuring pat moved to take Bastard's bridle. Kick or bite me and you will take a pistol ball through that thick skull...

Jarla had to admit she was curious to see the magic girl in action. She'd no magical training herself but it was hard not to feel a thrill of excitement at it's use.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Animal Care: (1d100)[57] vs 51
    FP re-roll: (1d100)[94].

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"And I feel like I've aged a decade or two overnight," Sieghard replied, his tone light. "I'll manage - I don't plan on staying any longer than needed."

He headed out into the valley to find his men and see what Sforza had left behind for him to work with.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Jarla & Tatiana

Almost as soon as Jarla had taken his bridle, Bastard reared up on his hind legs, doing his best to force her to either let go or be dragged off her feet. The animal was testing her, she knew - if she let him get what he wanted by throwing his weight around, he would have established that he was the one in charge.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can I get a Strength test to see if Jarla can keep her feet?

Sieghard

The Thorns' tents still remained behind, along with the overcrowded handful of spares that had been handed out to the labourers. One empty wagon and a pair of battered handcarts had been set aside for them, standing apart from where the Maneaters were loading up the heavy parts of Alvarr's trebuchet. Father Hechsler was sitting on one, squinting into the bottom of his hip-flask.

The men Sforza had left behind to help numbered about twenty-five in total. Dirty, hungry and thin, they looked confused and a little discontented at being left behind. Sitting on rocks or pacing idly between the tents, they watched the massive figures of the ogres tying down the last of the catapult pieces with uncertainty in their eyes.
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-04 at 01:31 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #53

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla hissed in pain as the animal reared and she hung on. Maybe she would have to shoot it after all!

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strength: (1d100)[100] vs 40.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo and Sforza
    "That's good to hear," Ludo said, watching the spearhead vanish into the lockbox with an uneasy feeling.

"Might I ask if you have any plans to organise a search for the witch?" Ludo asked. "We don't know what the artefact she's carrying is capable of. I'd be very keen to take part in that."

Ludo and Elsa
    Ludo willingly acceded to Elsa's suggestion, opening the box containing Meskhenet's head carefully, like a jewellery box. He was partially unsure if she would even be present.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo and Elsa crowded around Meskhenet's box, like your parents making a zoom call on the family laptop.

Whether Ludo remains in the camp or travels north depends on how the Sforza conversation goes so I'm holding off on that for now.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Did the prince tell you why we're still here?" Sieghard asked Hechsler. "Grim work, but it needs to be done." He glanced north at the tracks left behind by the Iron Company, lowered his voice and muttered contemptuously "I guess his own men must've had something more important to do." He wondered if Sforza would've cared if it had been his own men's bodies left behind in the ruin. "Elsa tells me the darkness hanging over the ruins has settled, but I'm not taking chances. If you could get started blessing the swords and quarrels, we can get to work. If nothing else, I want to have the bodies out of there by nightfall."

He turned towards the workers Sforza had left behind. He knew that they hated him. That he had done what he could to minimize the suffering in the war with Alvarr or that he very well may have saved them from the same fate the people of Caerfort suffered didn't matter. All he could do was try not to give them more reason to hate him. "We've one job left before we're done here," he explained, doubting that anyone else had, "Once it's finished, we'll return to Manaan's Keep and I'll personally see that you're all given warm meals and found new homes and work - in the Vale or otherwise if you prefer." He paused knowing that if any of what he was going to say would cause a stir, it would be what was coming next. "The vampire Nahorek, sometimes called the Jackal or the Drinker is slain. His victims, who he enslaved in death still lie unburied in the ruin that he made his lair," He kept his tone neutral, his words an explanation rather than a rebuke. "We will see that their remains are removed from that dark place and given over to Morr properly."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo & Sforza

"The peasant woman at the parley?" asked Sforza. "If she had any witchcraft of her own, I didn't see her use it." He gave an order in Tilean, and the soldiers began carrying the lockbox off with the rest of his effects. "When we get back to civilisation, I'll put out an order naming her and any others that slipped the net testa di lupo, outlaw. If you or Sieghard want to hunt her down, you have my blessing."

Ludo & Elsa

Meskhenet's eye-sockets were dark and empty. It took a good minute before any spark of light could be seen there - and even when it was, the ancient skull did not speak.

Jarla

Digging her heels into the stony ground, Jarla pulled back hard on Bastard's reins. Seeming almost surprised at the strength of her resistance, the big stallion fell back to all fours. He snorted and shook his neck, but no further acts of rebellion ensued. Jarla felt a quiet sense of triumph.

Tatiana had stopped in her tracks when her mistress' horse started misbehaving; now she resumed her quiet approach towards the grazing horses by the stream. They paid her no more attention than if she had been a small bird, continuing to merrily munch away on the thornbush. Eventually, she was so close that she could reach out and stroke the mane of the white horse closest to her.

If this was magic, it didn't seem to come with any flashing lights or coloured smoke. Tatiana stayed where she was for a good few minutes, murmuring softly to the animals. Then, gently taking the white horse's trailing reins, she began to lead it back towards Jarla and their two mounts. The other two grazers raised their heads and followed, seeming drawn by curiosity as much as anything else. Bastard snorted again. Jarla could sense he was excited by the prospect of new herd-mates to bully, but as long as she kept held of his reins, he would remember that she was the master.

"I think they'll come with us, if we lead them slow," said Tattie. "The poor things must have been frightened half to death."

Sieghard

"It's a good cause," said Hechsler. He squinted up at the position of the sun. "A lot of bodies to move before nightfall, mind. We'd get more daylight if we waited 'til tomorrow."

The labourers received Sieghard's address in stony silence. It wasn't that they weren't listening - they simply had nothing to say. They certainly didn't look pleased to be there.
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-04 at 02:56 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo and Sforza
    Ludo didn't have the confidence that Sforza did - but then again, he didn't have the army. He nodded. "Thank you, Mio Principe."

Ludo, Elsa, and Meskhenet
    Ludo cleared his throat awkwardly and spoke in Classical. <"The vampire is defeated. We shot him with silver bolts and ran him through with the spear of Ptra. He turned to dust."

"It was...invaluable to know what you told us. We were able to trick him because of what you let us know. The people of these lands are in debt to you.">

28. - Top - End - #58

BlackDragon

Jarla

"They weren't alone in that," Jarla replied with feeling. Even now she could only picture the battle with a shiver.

Her arms hurt (she'd have a bone or two to pick with Holt about this later), but she seemed to manage and Jarla knew Countess would follow if they did indeed move slowly. She looked at her companion curiously. It was hard to picture this shy peasant girl being trained by the (literally) fiery Elsa.

"So Tattie how do you find working for Mistress Holt?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa and Ludo

Hmm. Odd.

Perhaps the area had been so drained of necromantic power in the past night that it was much harder for an undead creature to remain "alive", so to speak.

<Meskhenet,> said Elsa softly, in Classical. <Nakht-Horeb is destroyed. Is there anything we can do to... end your curse of undeath? We have priests who can send your soul into an afterlife of peace and rest, though they serve no god of yours.>
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "It's a good cause," said Hechsler. He squinted up at the position of the sun. "A lot of bodies to move before nightfall, mind. We'd get more daylight if we waited 'til tomorrow."
    Sieghard squinted upwards and realized he had been resting longer than he had thought. "Tomorrow then. For now we'll find somewhere suitable and get started digging."

Spoiler
    Show
    What Sieghard defines as suitable depends a bit on factors I don't have OOC knowledge of, but in general he wants it away from Nath (limited by how many bodies he estimates we can move at a time with the carts and wagon and how many trips back and forth it will take). He doesn't want to spend more than a day in Nath itself even if we have to finish the actual burying part the next morning. And of course there's Nahorek's rainstorms to consider - nowhere that was so thoroughly drenched that any hole we dig will just fill back up with mud right away.