New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIII

Elsa saluted Sforza again on her way out, a bit more stiffly this time. She then headed down to the dungeons to speak to Sanne Raven-Cry, hoping the Norscan had not been executed while she was gone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 8th Jahrdrung

Conditions in the dungeon hadn't improved since Elsa had seen them last. Sforza's choice of jailer was an ex-Iron Company soldier by the name of Mauro, who had lost a leg but none of his good humour at Arrow Heap. With his peg-leg resting on a stool, he seemed to be enjoying his semi-retirement.

<Good day, Magister,> he said, levering himself up when Elsa descended the steps into what might very charitably be called his office. <We weren't expecting to see you down here.>

He didn't ask questions when Elsa asked to see Sanne, but pulled a lantern down off the wall and led the way to her cell. It was almost as cold down here as it was outside - in the shadows on the edges of the lantern-light, Elsa could see some of the other poor wretches left down here shivering in their rags.

Sanne was looking thin and bruised. She was chained to the stone wall by both wrists; at her feet, the carcass of a large rat lay with a broken neck where she'd managed to stamp on it. Mauro tutted.

<Look at that,> he said, <she's gone and squashed Gennaro.> Picking up his cudgel, he rattled it on the thick bars of the cell. "Hey! Wild girl! You have-a di visitores!"

Jarla, 8th Jahrdrung

It wasn’t too long after Elsa had parted with Jarla that Irene found her. The principessa was clearly agitated.

“Jarla!” she snapped. “When were you planning on telling me the witch was back?”

Considering Jarla had only seen Elsa arrive less than an hour ago, that didn’t seem like a very fair question.

“She’s back, and she’s been talking to Muzio,” Irene continued, in the same tone as one might say, she burned my house down. “Why can’t she just - “ - at this Irene caught herself, closed her eyes for a moment and breathed - “why can’t she stay away? Misericordia di Shallya, you can smell when she’s been here.”

“I don’t want her here, Jarla. You’re prima cameriera. Tell her there’s no room.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2022-01-04 at 02:59 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

<Good day, Magister. We weren't expecting to see you down here.>

<See who?> asked Elsa with a mock innocent smile, jingling some silver coins in her hand and offering them to Mauro. <I'm quite sure a court wizard has no reason to visit the dungeons.>

Spoiler
    Show
    5 shillings.

If needed, Charm 54: (d100)[79]
    Fortune: (d100)[30]

Elsa waited for the jailer to walk away to other duties before addressing Sanne.

"I've been to the Raven Hills," she said, keeping her voice low. "I killed the wolves. You were right, there's death in the wind. I've no doubt the Jackal still rules the Pale Waste. He even spoke to me, in dreams."

Apologetically, she added: "I was really hoping I'd return with enough evidence to get you freed, but the Prince is not hearing it. To him, the fact that you were telling the truth is... inconvenient."

In fact he'll likely have you killed if he learns I visited you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jarla, 8th Jahrdrung

It took Jarla a moment to recover herself. Days of what felt like active avoidance and now this?

After a moment of hesitation Jarla greeted Irene with a kiss to her cheeks and an affectionate smile. "Your Highness it is good to see you!" It was too; despite her mixed feelings about Irene Sforza life was far duller without her around. "Please milady do not stress so! I hate to see you distressed! Do not fear, I am your friend as well as your loyal servant and I shall take care of it. The witch will doubtless be finished speaking to the Prince soon and then I shall speak to her."

She looked for somewhere to sit down in her rather cramped chambers and did so, leaving the more comfortable chair to her frenemy: "Your highness are you in need of relief? I could summon the court minstrel for you? Or perhaps a game of cards or swap a tale or two?"

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 8th Jahrdrung

Sanne waited for a while before responding. When she did, her voice sounded cracked and hoarse.

"So what now, fire woman?" she asked. "Are you going to break me out of here?"

Jarla, 8th Jahrdrung

Irene brushed Jarla's affectionate gestures aside, but her attitude seemed to soften when Jarla assured her the Elsa situation would be taken care of.

"...Maybe later," was all she said to Jarla's suggested diversions. "For now, just deal with her for me, will you?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

"So what now, fire woman? Are you going to break me out of here?"

Elsa sighed. "What do you think, Sanne?"

This was much trickier than the Darja situation. Elsa had no weight to throw around, and no good reason to give to justify freeing Sanne. The Norscan was here because of crimes committed, not because she was being interrogated.

"Guess I just... wanted you to know that your news from the Raven Hills didn't fall on deaf ears. I'll try to think of something to get you out of here. Maybe a dangerous job for which I can ask the Prince my pick of prisoners."

Spoiler
    Show
    How long are the chains restraining Sanne? Can she, e.g., scratch her nose or lie down on the floor? Just wondering if I can at least make her more comfortable by bribing the jailer some more.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2022-01-05 at 12:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 8th Jahrdrung

“Is that something he does?” asked Sanne, faintly. “Reward his favourites with slaves?”

She leaned forwards until the chains around her arms grew taut, turning her head towards Elsa and squinting in the unaccustomed light.

“You don’t owe me anything, fire woman. Why do you care what happens to me?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    She can reach her face, or sit down at the foot of the wall. The chains aren’t long enough for her to lie down.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

"You don't owe me anything, fire woman. Why do you care what happens to me?"

Elsa was silent for a moment. "I think the Reaches, and your people especially, need you," she said at last. "With Wadim gone, you're likely the next best thing to a keeper of the old lore of the hills. And we can always use fighters."

She also felt sorry for Sanne, but she could tell the Norscan was the sort to spit other people's pity back in their faces. Elsa was much the same in that regard.

"Until I think of something, I'll pay off the jailer to loosen your chains a bit. I hardly think Sforza comes down here to make sure everyone's miserable enough to his taste."

She found Mauro and offered to pay him half a crown per month to keep Sanne shackled only by one ankle. To ensure Mauro did not pocket her money and ignore the terms of the deal, she also implied in passing that she might visit again at an unspecified time.

Elsa and Jarla

Elsa spotted Irene Sforza talking to Jarla, and made herself scarce until the noblewoman was gone. Only then did she approach the copper-haired socialite.

"I can tell you all about my trip to the Raven Hills, if you want," she offered, still blissfully unaware of the instructions Jarla had just been given by Irene. "Maybe not on castle grounds, though; it wouldn't do for her to see us chat like friends."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2022-01-05 at 11:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 8th Jahrdrung

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    "With Wadim gone, you're likely the next best thing to a keeper of the old lore of the hills. And we can always use fighters."
    "Can you?" said Sanne. "Well, good luck finding them. I don't owe you either."

She slumped back against the wall. "Nobody's using me, fire woman," she said. "I've made no promises."

Back at the entrance, Mauro smiled and thanked Elsa for her offer, but declined. <All respect, Magister, you're not the one who has to feed her,> he said. <You know what kind of animals these Norscans are. Not civilised. Give her a free hand and Myrmidia knows what she'll do with it.>
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #790

BlackDragon

Elsa and Jarla

"Of course milady," Jarla said, curtsying to Irene as the Tilean made her exit. She did not have much time before the very woman they had discussed materialised and Jarla found herself blinking at Elsa.

"I'd like to hear it but I agree it is not safe here," Jarla said. The auburn haired noblewoman hesitated a moment and glanced around, her large blue eyes wide to make sure Irene wasn't lurking like a beautiful shadow. "Elsa why does Irene hate you so much? She was just here asking me to, well, get rid of you."

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

"Nobody's using me, fire woman. I've made no promises."

"I can respect that," said Elsa with an approving nod. "If I ever do get you out of here, you'll be free. I'm not the sort of person who keeps a tally of debts owed. Did you know I also freed the elf from these very cells when Sforza took back Savonne? I did it knowing he had nothing to give me in return. Goodbye, Sanne. I hope I see you again in not too long, but just like you, I make no promises."

She did not argue with the jailer over the chains, or try to raise her bribe.

"Elsa why does Irene hate you so much? She was just here asking me to, well, get rid of you."

"Oh, it's a tale as old as time. She finds me uncouth, whereas I consider her responsible for the murder of a good friend of mine," said Elsa with a bitter smirk. "Only Verena can judge which one of us is in the right."

She raised a quizzical eyebrow. "And how, pray tell, is she expecting you to rid her of me? Are you to challenge me to a pistol duel?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

12. - Top - End - #792

BlackDragon

Jarla and Elsa

Jarla's expression grew pale after Elsa alluded to Adelbert's death but she didn't immediately comment on that. Instead she waited for Elsa to finish before saying:

"Well, I am prima cameriera so technically I probably could tell you there is no room," she smiled weakly. "Though pistols could also work. As it is though is there anywhere else in Savonne you could stay?"

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa stared hard at Jarla.

Awfully eager to please your brother's killer, aren't we? she almost replied.

"I don't have a lot of options, but if it'll keep you out of trouble, I'll think of something."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #794

BlackDragon

Jarla and Elsa

Jarla breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you. We'll have to meet very soon, all of us. In the meantime shall we go to the temple and talk? I doubt Irene has ears there."

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes. Let's do that. We'll go separately; I don't know if any gate guards report to Irene."

Gods, I'm getting paranoid, Elsa realized with dismay. Is this my life now?

At the temple, she brought Jarla up to speed about her journey to the Raven Hills, holding nothing back—including Nahorek's visit of her dreams, Tatiana's injury, and Sforza's summary dismissal of her concerns.

"I'm not even sure why he keeps me under contract. He doesn't need my services and doesn't listen to my counsel. At least I'm still getting paid." She grunted. "Listen to me, lamenting my uselessness while the enemy is plotting. I'll write to Sieghard about this. We need to figure out what can be done without the Prince's approval."

Spoiler
    Show
    @ RossN: Whose temple? Verena's?

I can give you a more detailed description of the events in the Raven Hills if you didn't follow Elsa's travels closely.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2022-01-06 at 03:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

16. - Top - End - #796

BlackDragon

Jarla and Elsa

Jarla had donned her winter cloak and new earrings to visit the temple. Not totally inconspicuous perhaps but frankly it would look far more suspicious if you dressed down.

She looked around the temple grounds, expression thoughtful. Elsa might have noticed her gaze seemed to linger in the direction of Adelbert's grave, though she did not approach it.

"This place could really do with a shrine to Ranald. My patron deserves a home," she said, as much to herself as to Elsa. Then she turned her large blue eyes on Elsa and listened to the wizardess speak.

"I can't say I've had any visions but I trust your judgement here." Jarla paused, then lowered her voice just in case. "I don't know for sure but I think I can keep Carraciolo's ear. I know he doesn't like you but he is the likely heir if... well, if something happens to Sforza. Do you think we've reached the point where something happening to Sforza is the only way to save the Reaches?"

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa looked askance at Jarla. Much as she despaired at the Prince's attitude, this talk of treason was dangerous, both for Jarla and the Reaches. Plunging the country into a possible succession crisis might be even worse than keeping a mediocre leader in place.

"Giovanni isn't taking this threat any more seriously than Sforza," she said, shaking her head. "Maybe even less seriously, since unlike Sforza he hasn't faced Nahorek. He probably imagines him as a cackling vampire out of a marketplace stage play, complete with makeup blood on his chin and a Tilean's idea of a Sylvanian accent."

She jabbed a finger at Jarla. "I'd also advise you not to overestimate your political influence on Giovanni just because he fancies you. I may be young, but I've fvcked a distressingly high number of men who turned out to have no respect for my opinions."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #798

BlackDragon

Jarla and Elsa

Jarla's expression grew harder. "Not all of us have magical powers Holt. The rest of us must make do with what resources mere mortals can manage. I'd also have to remind you that it is not my fault if you've failed to endear yourself to Sforza over the last few years - or anyone else who matters."

She shook her head trying to reign in her temper. "Look Elsa, this is getting us nowhere. What about your friend that woman in Putbad? Would she believe you? She might not have Sforza's resources but it might be better than nothing. "

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

"Not all of us have magical powers Holt. The rest of us must make do with what resources mere mortals can manage. I'd also have to remind you that it is not my fault if you've failed to endear yourself to Sforza over the last few years - or anyone else who matters."

Elsa bristled. "You think I can just... magic away my problems? Most of why I'm disliked in the first place is tied to my magic somehow. Outside of life-or-death situations, being a wizard is a hurdle I have to overcome, not a—" She stopped talking, as she realized her voice had risen to a level inappropriate for a temple.

"Look Elsa, this is getting us nowhere. What about your friend that woman in Putbad? Would she believe you? She might not have Sforza's resources but it might be better than nothing."

That gave Elsa pause. "Hmm. Worth considering. Leona Groz is a sensible person, and while she rules at Sforza's pleasure, she's not under his employ. More importantly, she's of the Reaches, not an outsider."

Elsa would certainly feel more welcome under her roof than Carraciolo's.

"Yes, I'll think about it. Say... I have a favor to ask. Can you get me some makeup to hide my tattoos? A mirror, too. My bodyguard isn't here, and I'd like to be able to go places without people recognizing me. I'll pay for it, but I can't go shopping myself."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #800

BlackDragon

Jarla & Elsa

Jarla eyes lit up, her anger fading at Elsa's request. "As it happens you've come to the right woman. Working on the stage I do have some knowledge of cosmetics and clothing. Let's see... makeup certainly, and a wig, jewellery, clothes... hmm it is a shame about your eyes. I don't mean that as an insult, I actually think they are most attractive but they are alas distinctive."

Jarla circled Elsa thoughtfully, studying her from boots to hair. "What would you like to disguise yourself as?"

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

"Someone nobody would look at twice," said Elsa, amused at Jarla's sudden enthusiasm, "so I'm sorry to stop your creativity short. I want to come and go, not make an impression."

"No wig," she added firmly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #802

BlackDragon

Jarla & Elsa

The prima cameriera who spent an hour each morning in front of a mirror to look at her best raised an elegant copper coloured eyebrow at Elsa's insistence on keeping her hair short.

"Well if you insist, but it's rather more difficult to go unnoticed when you are trying. If you are determined to keep your hair as is - I take it dye is out of the question? - then some sort of headdress, cowl or shawl is needed. A burgher's wife perhaps."

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

"It's winter, people wear hats," said Elsa. "I'm not opposed to hair dye, though. I've already got some." She had bought it quite a long time ago, in fact, but had not had an opportunity to use it until now.

"It doesn't need to withstand close scrutiny... Nobody's on the lookout for me. I'll try to do my comings and goings around dusk."

"For a mirror, nothing fancy. I'm sure the famine has flooded the city's pawnbrokers with household items."

"And thank you,"
    she added, with a warm smile. "You're useful to have around, Jarla."

Later in the day, Elsa showed up at Father Hieronymus's door and quickly informed him of her need for a place to sleep now that she was persona non grata at the castle. Without letting the priest get a word in edgewise, she shoved in his hands all the notes she had taken about the Nehekharan language during her time in Castel d'Irena—including the rubbing of the inscription underneath the golden beetle—and assured him that she would make herself useful enough during her stay to make up for any inconvenience.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2022-01-06 at 08:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #804

BlackDragon

Jarla & Elsa

Jarla looked as if the concept of not wanting to draw attention was in and of itself an attack on her principles but eventually smiled and nodded. "I'll see what I can do."

Bidding the other woman adieu, she returned to the keep. Tomorrow she'd go on the hunt for a mirror and something hideously unfashionable and therefore unoticable.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 8th Jahrdrung

Hieronymus certainly seemed surprised to see Elsa. "...I see," was all he could manage after her initial barrage of information. "Well, um, you know the doors of the Temple are... always open to travellers in need..." He trailed off. "But of course, if you'd rather stay here, I'll see what I can do. Thank you. For the papers."

Hieronymus' house wasn't really set up for guests, and 'what he could do' wasn't much more than clear the piles of books off an old settee. This took some time, mostly because there were no other book-free surfaces to put the books on. In the end, however, Elsa had something that would serve as a bed, even if it was a little short, and the horsehair was leaking from some of its upholstery.

"Surprising that they have no room for you at the castle," said Hieronymus once the clearing was done. "How long are you staying in town? Do you think they might let you back there soon?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

"How long are you staying in town? Do you think they might let you back there soon?"

"I'll only stay a few days," Elsa assured him. "And no, I can't go back there. A friend of mine will get in trouble with the principessa if I'm allowed to lodge at the castle."

She grabbed her quill and some parchment from her luggage and began to pen a letter.

Spoiler: letter
    Show
    Sieghard and Ludo,

The enemy is still active. I have been to the Raven Hills and seen signs of his presence. His body may be destroyed but he endures.

Meet me in Savonne so we can discuss the next steps. I cannot leave the city right now, as I am waiting for Olga and Tatiana to join me.

-Elsa

The next morning, wearing her new makeup and hair dye, Elsa hired a courier to carry her letter to Painford, then visited Suzana to get her share from the business. She also made sure a few key people at the castle knew where she was lodging, so that Olga, Tatiana, Sieghard and Ludo would have no trouble tracking her down once they made their way to Savonne.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dividends last collected on 28th Vorhexen, to the tune of 40 gc, 7 s and 6 p.

She spent the next few days studying every scrap of information she and Hieronymus had about the Nehekharan language, trying to find new patterns, until her dreams were filled with hieroglyphs. She was not the dedicated scholar that Hieronymus was, but a wizard's mind was well suited for analyzing abstract notions, and she had little else to do.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2022-01-07 at 10:03 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 8th Jahrdrung

Hieronymus seemed a little taken aback by Elsa’s assertion about the principessa. “That bad, is it?” he mumbled - but assayed no further comment.

Aubentag, 9th Jahrdrung - Elsa

Elsa woke the next morning on Hieronymus’ settee, with the most tremendous crick in her neck. To her surprise, she found Hieronymus already awake and alert, reading through the notes she had given him the previous morning. Keen-eyed and already apparently ready to face the day, he presented quite a different aspect to the absent-minded old man who had let her in the previous evening.

“Good morning, Magister,” he said, glancing only briefly over his shoulder at Elsa as she hauled herself upright. “The privy’s in the back, should you need it. I would offer you a spare key for when I go out, but I’m afraid I don’t have one.” Up in the rafters, Euthymius was screeching at both of them as if they were intruders. “I’ll have to remedy that some time. In the meantime, I’m afraid you’ll have to stay either in or out between about noon and sundown. That’s when I’m wanted at the Temple.” Turning over a sheet of paper, he pointed to a word. “Your writing there, is that a ‘r’ or an ‘n’?”.

Out in the city, Suzana welcomed Elsa into her establishment in her usual even-tempered way. “A pleasure to see you, Magister Holt,” she said. “We never know when you’re going to drop in.”

Elsa’s share for the month of Nachexen was much smaller than previous months - the sum of nineteen crowns, nine schillings and one pfennig. “Prince Sforza’s price controls are hitting us hard,” said Suzana by way of explanation, “and our sellers upriver aren’t charging any less. The guilders in Putbad certainly know how to put the squeeze on.” She waited until her man Henrik had finished counting out the money. “Is there anything else I can help you with today?”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa’s courier to Painford will cost her half a crown.

Marktag, 10th Jahrdrung - Elsa & Jarla

Marktag brought Prince Sforza’s announcement of the enclosures, just as Jacques had predicted. Notices were nailed up in Rockshadow, the North Market and the Old Town, and before the sun had set, people were lining up outside the audience chamber where Al-Makir was overseeing the apportioning of deeds. Jarla recognised some of them, but many seemed unfamiliar, even out of place in such elevated surroundings. One of them - a short woman with drab, everyday clothes and straw-coloured hair that looked like it had been cut by a farmhand - saw Jarla looking at her, and returned the look with a wink and a shark-like grin. Before Jarla could respond, she stepped inside the door.

“It’s positively degrading,” was Irene’s opinion, when Jarla caught up with her in the solar later. Jarla had seen a little more of her highness lately - maybe that was a sign of royal favour for having successfully kept Elsa out of the castle, or maybe her husband was just satisfied that the two of them weren't having any secret fencing lessons. “Muzio says it needs to be done. I think we might have had some actual people of quality to give the land to, if he hadn’t killed them all playing soldiers.” She poured herself a cup of wine, took a drink and sighed. “I suppose most of them killed each other.”

Taking a seat by the window, she looked out west over the city. “He’s talking to the priests again, too. Some ceremony at the temple on Festag, to bless the fields and make them grow.” With an exaggerated roll of her eyes, she looked across to Jarla. “You’ll come? I think I may die of boredom otherwise.”

Marktag also brought two messengers for Jarla. The first arrived in the morning, carrying a wax-sealed letter and a long, heavy package wrapped up in grey wool.

Spoiler: Jarla’s First Letter
    Show
    To the lady Schreiber,

I regret that I cannot spare you many blades, since they are not an item of which we keep many spares. You will understand that a swordsman’s blade is his livelihood, and something of which he is expected to take good care.

I have sent you two blades which can be spared from the company stores. If they are to your liking, I would recommend to you the services of Mihai, the smith in Sermena who made them. He has been our armourer in Last Water for some years now, and I find his work the equal of many of the weapon-smiths I have known in Araby and Tilea.

With my cordial regards,
    Sr. Esteban Valdes.

Unwrapping the package revealed two rapiers, heavier and meaner-looking than true fencing foils, and made in a plain, unadorned style that Jarla was sure would have been highly unfashionable on the streets of Nuln. Nevertheless, their balance was fine, and their points were sharp.

The second message arrived late in the afternoon, without any such package to accompany it.

Spoiler: Jarla’s Second Letter
    Show
    My dear Jarla,

It gives me great pleasure to receive your letter. I would not be a good soldier if I abandoned my post, but if you wish to come to Castel d’Irena you will be very welcome here.

At the time of writing, I am preparing to travel to the Raven Hills, but I will write to you with the news of when I return.

- G.

Bezahltag, 12th Jahrdrung - Painford

Elsa’s courier arrived in Painford on Bezahltag afternoon, bearing her simple message. A young woman with a plodding grey mule, she looked quite impressed by Sieghard’s manor when she realised this was the address to which she was supposed to deliver.

“I can take a message back for you, if you’re wanting, sir,” she managed to say. “Half a crown.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2022-01-07 at 12:40 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard squinted at Elsa's letter for about a minute. "That can't be right..." he muttered. "Nothing was left but dust..." Realizing the courier was still waiting for an answer, he placed the shillings in her hand and said "Nothing written, but if you can tell the woman who gave you this that we're on our way, that'll be enough."

He went to find Ludo and Urgrim and handed over the letter without comment.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2022-01-07 at 01:10 PM.

29. - Top - End - #809

BlackDragon

Marktag, 10th Jahrdrung - Elsa & Jarla

Jarla had found herself smiling at the wizardesses disguise. Maybe she was too much an actress and a highwaywoman to appreciate the benefits of dressing down.

The contents letters were not entirely to satisfaction, but she carefully stored the rapiers away and wrote quick thank you notes to Esteban and Giovanni - sprinkling a dash of perfume on the latter.

Paying court to Irene as always took up most of her world of course. Sitting across from the princesss Jarla smiled at her mistress. "Never fear milady I'll be there, loyally protecting you from boredom. Perhaps we can take bets on whether anyone falls asleep during a speech. A double pay out if they fall asleep during her own speech."

Jarla's own grey-blue eyes flicked to the window. "My brother and older sister were the religious ones in my family, though I said my prayers to Sigmar of course. Of all the gods it was Ranald that chimed with me - I like a rogue."

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Jarla, 10th Jahrdrung

Irene gave Jarla a sidelong glance. "You and Muzio's family might have something in common there," she said, in a tone that clearly put her above it all. "My father always said that people who prayed for good fortune were those without the strength to make their own."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb