New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIII

"One of them was meant for me, wasn't it? I'd like to have it."

Oh. That's touching, I suppose.

"That letter was meant for if I was found dead," said Elsa. "To tell the truth, I don't even remember what I put in it. It must have been sappy, though. And it likely didn't say anything about us that you don't already know."

She nestled her head in the crook of Sieghard's neck, with her ear against his chest. "Death was heavy on my mind when I wrote those letters. Tonight death is the last thing I want to think about."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-09 at 06:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard with Elsa

"That letter was meant for if I was found dead. To tell the truth, I don't even remember what I put in it. It must have been sappy, though. And it likely didn't say anything about us that you don't already know."

"Even so, I want to keep it," Sieghard replied, his tone unusually sentimental. "If he didn't destroy it, at least."

"Death was heavy on my mind when I wrote those letters. Tonight death is the last thing I want to think about."

He made a tired noise. "No thinking about death tonight," he agreed, resting his head against hers. "Only life." He drifted into the most restful sleep he had since the first attempt to dislodge Nahorek from Nath.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

"Even so, I want to keep it. If he didn't destroy it, at least."

"Hmm, I'll ask. But don't get your hopes up."

Elsa felt guilty to lie to Sieghard while in bed with him, but she had no intent to talk to Sforza about the letters, for a variety of reasons both emotional and pragmatic. She fell asleep shortly after Sieghard, and her slumber too was undisturbed by dreams.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo joined Sieghard, Urgrim, and Berki at the bar. "How're you feeling, Berki?" he asked a little more mutely.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

The Star

Urgrim nodded enthusiastically at Sieghard's praise of Berki. "Berki's one of Clan Dwimmulson's rangers. He was part of the expedition to the Red Pyramid," he said, letting his tone become a little more serious. "He and I were saying earlier, it feels like we've finally done right by the others who didn't make it back from the Pale Waste." Urgrim drew a sharp breath, and smiled, moving on from what could be a sticky doldrum in the conversation. "Anyway, I've kept dragging him into trouble ever since then, and he's not turned me down yet! And Berki, this is Commander Sieghard. He killed Varag Kol, and so on, but his most impressive feat?" Urgrim raised his tankard with another mischievous smile. "He had a long conversation with Skorgrund, and walked away still holding Zonbrynaz!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    To be utterly clear, this is entirely in good humour – Urgrim thinks Sieghard and the dwarfs can all laugh and bond over that.

I've no more plans in Manann's Keep either, so I'm happy to move on.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard at the Star

"And he was far more fearsome than any vampire too!" Sieghard said. "I've fought men and greenskins and worse, but none of them worried me half as much as him scowling and weighing every word I said"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

"Would have liked to have got him talking to the vampire," Ludo joked. "If anyone could have got it to leave..."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

The Star of Marienburg

Berki gave a nervous laugh at the others’ jokes about Skorgrund. The white-bearded elder was still sitting in the corner behind the other Dwimmulsons, and though there was a wall of noise between them, the old dwarf’s hearing was sharp as a needle when he wanted it to be.

Skorgrund showed no sign of having heard. Evening faded into night, and still the festival atmosphere in the town centre showed no sign of ebbing. Some of the Iron Company had constructed a large bonfire at the foot of the fort, and were gathered around it, drinking and singing. The Maneaters roasted a trio of hogs that it wasn’t clear whether they’d paid for. The wine-casks of the Star of Marienburg ran dry.

Leaving the warmth of the fires a little before midnight, Urgrim saw that the last scraps of cloud had shredded away over the hills, leaving a clear sky full of stars. The six stars that made up Cacklefax the Cockerel were shining brightly, while Rhya’s Cauldron twinkled close to the horizon. A southerly breeze was blowing down off the heights, making the smoke from the fires trail out towards the woods. The air it carried smelt cold and sharp, the first fangs of winter in its bite. It smelt like change.

Festag, 28th Kaldezeit

Elsa had to rise early the next morning to begin her treasure hunt out in the backwoods of the Vale. The two Estalians Valdes had given here at least appeared not to be hungover from last night’s revels - their names were Bernardo and Fidel, and they were already waiting for her when she emerged from the Star.

Accompanied by Tatiana and Ludo, they set out as soon as the five of them were assembled. Visiting all three hiding-spots in one day was a tiring business, but the weather remained fine, if a little chilly. Elsa was pleased to find the first two troves undisturbed; she was less pleased to find that the third had been dug up.

Who or what had done it was not clear. Tatiana noted that there were signs of pigs foraging nearby, and that perhaps they had smelt the leather of the purse and grubbed it up. There were no scraps or stray coins, however, and the digging did not look recent. Fidel made some kind of joke in Estalian, and Bernardo stifled a laugh into a bout of coughing.

The sun was getting low, and the warmth of the day was dwindling fast. With aching legs, they headed back towards the town.

Wellentag, 29th Kaldezeit

The next morning saw Manann’s Keep swarming like an anthill as the army made ready to depart. Sforza was back on Vedenzo, riding down the length of the marching column as the different companies assembled. The Prince’s horse was looking clean and white again, tossing its mane proudly as it trotted down the line.

Signora Schreiber!” Sforza called out, as he caught sight of Jarla near the Thorns. “Good to see you still with us.” He brought his horse up alongside Countess. “Are you accompanying us back to the city? I’m sure my wife will be pleased to see you again.”

If he noticed any cloud passing across Jarla’s face at the mention of Irene, he didn’t remark on it. “We still have the matter of your reward to decide, yes? Even more so after the... situation you helped me out of in the valley.” He gave her a searching look. “Have you had any thoughts?”

A little further down the line, Abdul’s man Rahim had come with the gift of a horse for Tattie. A warhorse it certainly wasn’t - instead, he had found a shaggy Uplands pony with a slightly haunted-looking expression. To Elsa’s eyes, it looked a little too small for her apprentice, but Tatiana seemed pleased with it all the same.

Bezahltag, 33rd Kaldezeit

The army had passed through Painford and Arrow Heap on its steady march back to Savonne. In Painford, the tiny village had strained to contain the hosts of Sforza’s soldiers within its wooden walls. For Elsa, heading out to the border of the Mere felt like a welcome escape from the noise and crowds, as she made to return Morrslieb’s bones to the marsh. There was little she could do about the symbols Nahorek had cut into them without defiling them further. By the light of her torch, she watched as the incomprehensible Nehekharan writing vanished beneath the murky water.

At Arrow Heap, Urgrim saw an early morning frost gleaming on the fields of dried-out stubble surrounding the settlement. The rains that had swept the Dead Hills had not reached this far north, and the rolling plains of the Downs still seemed fully in the grip of the summer’s drought. In the Bull’s Horns, the ale was more expensive than Sieghard remembered - and the price of food had been marked up to such an outrageous extent that one of the Iron Company pikemen almost got into a fight with the publican. A quiet conversation with Al-Makir seemed to straighten things out.

It was late on Bezahltag when they drew back into sight of the city walls, though the black bulk of the Rock had been visible over the horizon for most of the day. Marching over the old dwarf bridge, they entered the city through the river gate, kettle drums rolling and bugles blowing. Sieghard could make out the Thorns’ old tents, still in use in the extensive shanty town that had sprung up at the north end of the docks - though it looked like many new structures had sprouted up there too.

Once inside the city, the Prince and his retinue made straight for the keep. The Dwimmulsons were one of the first regiments to peel off - stopping in the North Market square, they clearly intended to return direct to the Dwimmulhold.

“You’re welcome to come with us, Jotunnsson,” said Grunlok, as Skorgrund eyed the steep climb up to the gates and mumbled something about cobblers these days not making boots as supple as they used to. “If you want to have a proper drink, that is.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-10 at 03:51 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Karst

"Hmm, I suppose I should be happy for the richest pig-herder in the Broken Reaches," said Elsa dryly, upon discovering her empty cache.

That was two months and a half's wages all gone, but she found she did not mind too much in light of everything else that had been going on. Besides, she now had proper business ventures that may soon make fifty crowns look like a piddling sum.

Painford

"Again, I'm sorry," Elsa whispered to Morrslieb's bones as they sank in the dark water under his namesake's green glow. "Sorry I used you recklessly. Some days I treated you like I made you, while in truth, I met you. I hope you find rest in the Mere. You were as good a familiar as any wizard could wish for."

She reached into her pocket to touch Khalida. "You, I intend to keep much longer. Let's find you a mouse to eat... Maybe Tattie can help."

Elsa turned back towards Painford.

Savonne

"If there's nothing official to conduct tonight, sire," said Elsa, riding beside Sforza, "I'll be looking into personal business."

By which she meant her dealings with Suzana the merchant. The food prices at the Arrow Heap inn had been alarming... but they clearly heralded some profit for her.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know how late in the day it actually is. Is it rude to visit someone at this hour? If so, I'll just go to the castle and visit Suzana tomorrow.

Elsa will inquire about her share of the profits. Back in Erntzeit, she made a return of 8gc and 11s on an investment of 40gc in a single week. Sforza later resolved to pass measures against price-gouging, though given the food prices in Arrow Heap, clearly their effectiveness was limited.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-10 at 04:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jarla - Wellentag, 29th Kaldezeit

Jarla had in fact seriously considered just pointing Countess in the direction of the Empire and heading home without a backward glance but something kept her loittering in Mannan's Keep until the army marched. Even as she sat on horseback waiting for Sforza she thought she might have left at any time. Yet she didn't.

"Your highness," she said politely bowing in her saddle even if her tone and expression gave little joy. "Congratulations on your victory. As for my reward, your highness is most kind. I, ah, have thought much on it."

She looked at the prince, her large blue-grey eyes flashing. "My prince I ask you this: make me a noble."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard in Painford

Sieghard stood silently as Elsa lowered Morrslieb's remains into the Mere. When she had finished, he put a hand on her shoulder and walked back to the village with her.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Elsa would rather be alone, let me know and I'll edit it out. I figured since she stayed with him when he buried the dead from Nath, he ought to return the favor.

That evening, Sieghard had dinner alone in the village's hostel (or as alone as possible, given how crowded Painford had become). He stayed at his table long after he had finished eating and waited for things to begin to quiet down.

"Rhadegund, you should sit," he told the girl. "There's something.... difficult.... that I have to tell you." Strange as he found it, Sieghard felt a certain sense of obligation to her. She acted strong for her age, but she was still a child. It had been Adelbert that led her here and even though the two had fought, he was ultimately been responsible for her. Since he had passed, Sieghard felt he owed it to both of them to at least try to look out for her. "I know you weren't fond of the place, but Caerfort..." She would learn the truth eventually. All he could do was try to soften the blow. "... It's gone."

Spoiler
    Show
    Untrained charm to try to handle this gently.
    (1d100)[71] vs 27
    (1d100)[42] Reroll

Subtle as always, Sieghard. "So anyways, everyone you knew before a year ago is dead"

Arrow Heap

Sieghard ate and drank lightly at the Bull’s Horns - The prices were ridiculous. He noticed Jarla sitting by herself, quickly downed what was left of his meal, and walked over. "Did you pass through Arrow Heap you your way south, Frau Schreiber?" he asked. "There's a great view from the walls. If you're finished, I could show you."

~

"Earlier in the year, we fought the battle that all but ended the war with Duke Alvarr out there," he said, pointing in the direction of the mill. "The Duke escaped, but his strength was broken. The couple who owned the mill got caught in it when the fighting started. I thought their chances of making it through would be better with my men protecting them than if they tried to run from a battle that was already beginning. The fighting was fierce though, and there was nowhere to hide." Maybe they could've survived it if he had just told them to run. "The mill still stinks like blood. I can smell it from here."

"Elsa told me that she talked to you. About Adelbert." He saw Jarla's confusion turn to anger and cut her off before she could respond. "I'll help you."

Savonne

"I'll see that the knights' remains reach the temple," Sieghard told Sforza. "If he's still there, like to speak with the high priest anyways." He paused. "The broken mask that the Jackal wore was stolen from their vaults. If you wish, I could return the pieces."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2021-05-11 at 01:56 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Savonne
    "I think we should split the pieces up, your highness" Ludo said. He was finally getting used to his pony, and it helped him feel less literally underfoot when talking to people on horseback. "Make it difficult to find again. Keep half in the temple, and give the other half to a runebearer or trader, get them to stuff it in a midden as far away from here as possible. If we'd just buried the staff, Nahorek would never have found it."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2021-05-11 at 02:11 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Manann's Keep, 29th Kaldezeit - Jarla

Sforza raised a solitary eyebrow at Jarla's request. "Planning on settling here for a while, then, signora?" he asked. "What kind of nobility did you have in mind?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To a large extent Sforza makes his own rules, but going off widely-established precedent, there are a few different models of what Jarla could ask for.
    • She could be given a title and a position at court without having a fief. That would bring all the status and privileges of being a noble, but not the responsibility or the long-term financial + dynastic security of being landed.
    • She could ask to be made lord of her own parcel of land - a bigger ask, with more responsibility for actually governing it, but giving her a landowner's income and something concrete she could pass down to her family line. For this she and/or Sforza would need to identify some suitable land whose tenants will accept her.
    • As the others mentioned in the OOC, she could marry into the existing structure that Sforza has set up - a lot of his lords are bachelors, and if she could land Valdes or Carraciolo she would be getting a foothold much higher on the ladder than if she set up independently as lady of a single village.

Painford, 31st Kaldezeit - Sieghard

Rhadegund had had a tiring night, serving and sweeping up after the crowds of noisy Tileans. When Sieghard tried to get her attention she turned away and rolled her eyes - but she didn't really have anywhere she could escape to.

"I know you weren't fond of the place, but Caerfort..." She would learn the truth eventually. All he could do was try to soften the blow. "... It's gone."
    She gave Sieghard a long, blank stare. "What do you mean," she said, "gone?"

Savonne, 33rd Kaldezeit

"I doubt we have anything to fear from a broken mask," said Sforza. He looked to Sieghard. "Don't concern yourself with it. I'll speak with the priests myself, soon enough."

Once the Prince had gone inside the gates of the keep, Ludo split off from the army, passing among the merchants and traders of the North Market. The day was coming to a close, but there were still enough people around for him to find a few who had come down the river from Putbad. The news from the north seemed unremarkable, which Ludo supposed was good.

"Aye, it's all a bit murky since that Falkenwald feller ran afoul of the Prince," said a man who was trying to sell casks of beer from the Azrillite monastery. "At least as far as who's officially in charge. Unofficially, 'course, the guilders are running things the way they always did. Those that kept their heads through the war, of course." He broke off to gesture energetically at the young lad helping him, who he seemed to think wasn't making the buyers haggle hard enough. "The young lady Groz, she's one of them, and that little boy of her's still set to be lord. With no Lord Protector, who's he going to listen to more than his mother? She's got her feet well under the table there, that's what I reckon." He shrugged. "For what it's worth."

About Roth and the other soldiers Ludo had left behind, the ale-seller seemed less sure. "Not sure I'd know any of those fellers by name," he said. "Seen some guards around the old Groz house, though, up in the high town. Suppose that'd be them."
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-11 at 06:08 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim, Bezahltag 33rd Kaldezeit

As the Dwimmulsons diverged from Sforza's column, Urgrim bid the others a temporary goodbye. "There are some folks up the Rock I want to see. And it's been a while since I had my head below ground, you know," he added with a smile. "I'm sure I'll find you again in the next few days."

"As it happens," he said to Grunlok at the base of the hill, "it's my hewing-day today. So I'll not turn down that chance." Despite his good mood for the day, now that the throng had returned from the south, Moragina wasn't far from Urgrim's mind. He resolved to pay his respects to her, and to her and Thrunrik's remaining family, while he was in the hold.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo nodded, satisfied at least that Roth and his men had evaded the fate of the rest of the Falcons. Successfully getting Groz's old soldiers assigned to guard his wife and child was... a small measure of recompense.

"What's it like up in Bunthafen?" he asked the ale-seller. "Looks like there's even more refugees here than before. Have any headed that way?"

16. - Top - End - #136

BlackDragon

Manann's Keep, 29th Kaldezeit - Jarla

Jarla seemed surprised to have even gotten this far. For the first time a flicker of warmth attached to her smile. "Uh, well my lord it may not have escaped your notice that I am a woman and if you and your ladywife would perhaps favourably introduce me to the unmarried gentlemen of the court matters might take an agreeable course for all concerned. There is perhaps one other favour it may be in your power to help me with first however..."

She carefully removed her left riding glove, revealing a slender white hand with a plain golden ring on her fourth finger. "My maiden name is Schreiber, but I am no longer a maiden. My husband, Morr take him, is a miserly oaf of a merchant in Nuln... but he is still my husband. But you are a prince my lord. Could you annul this?"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard - Painford, 31st Kaldezeit

"When my men marched south, we were hunting a terrible monster," Sieghard explained. "It had had been hiding in the Mere, but my patrols had spotted signs of it moving. We were able to slay it, but we weren't fast enough to save the village. I'm sorry."

Savonne, 33rd Kaldezeit

"Of course, your Highness," Sieghard said. He picked a small escort from his men and headed for the temple with the cart bearing the knights' remains.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Hieronymus is around at this hour, Sieghard will talk to him. Otherwise, he'll hand the bodies off to the senior-most Morrite he can find, give a quick summary of the events in Nath, and call it a night.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Before running off to inquire about her stake in Suzana's business, Elsa handed Sieghard one of the scroll cases she had taken from Nath.

"Give this to Hieronymus and tell him it's a gift from me. It's a Nehekharan to Arabyan translation. I don't know if he can get any use out of it, but he surely knows someone who can."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Jarla, 29th Kaldezeit

Sforza looked mildly surprised at Jarla's request. "I don't see why not," he said. "As you say... I am the prince."

He looked back over his shoulder towards the head of the column. "The high priest in Savonne belongs to the cult of Verena. I'm sure he'll know the formalities. When we return to the city, I'll see it done." He smiled as if at some private joke. "As for introductions... I'm sure Irene will have opinions to offer. Come find me again when we reach Savonne," he said, turning his horse about, "and we'll talk of it further."

Sieghard, 31st Kaldezeit

"A monster in the Mere," said Rhadegund. Her tired and unimpressed tone was changing quickly to real distress, mixed with frustration at Sieghard's vagueness. "What are you saying? That they... they were all eaten by toad men?" She looked at him with a wide-eyed, demanding stare. "They always had a watchman in the tower. They knew how to keep themselves safe from the greenskins in the hills. If you couldn't find them it's probably... probably that they took themselves off somewhere safe."

Savonne, 33rd Kaldezeit

Ludo

"Haven't been up Bunthafen way myself, lately," said the merchant. "I've seen a fair few folk heading upriver though, through Putbad. Downs people, mostly. They say this's been the worst year for crops that anyone can remember." He shook his head. "When I was a lad these were always the fat lands, south of the falls. People've got to be desperate if they're braving the World's Edge roads to get out."

Sieghard

Hieronymus was not at the temple when Sieghard came calling. Brother Cezar received the bodies of the Templars, and offered to take the scrolls Elsa had given him for the high priest.

"You did well to bring them back to us," he said. "Morr grant that their spirits can find rest, now."

Urgrim

It was a tiring climb to the gates of the Dwimmulhold, after a tiring march from Arrow Heap. Once he was inside, however, with rock over his head and the sounds of Khazalid conversation all around him, Urgrim felt a sense of belonging that he had sorely missed. News had already run ahead of them, and the Dwimmulsons were celebrating.

In the long, low-ceilinged ale-hall, he looked across a sea of cheerful, noisy faces and made out Grunda, the runebearer. She looked wind-blown and tanned. Seeing him, she waved back and hurried over.

"Jotunnsson!" she said. "Your letter. I've got the reply." Rummaging in a sturdy leather sling bag, she brought out a sealed sleeve of waxed canvas and handed it to him. "I hear we're celebrating?" she said, as a great roar of approval went up from the other side of the hall. It sounded like the Rinn had made her appearance.
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-11 at 01:18 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard - Painford, 31st Kaldezeit

Sieghard has hoped he could spare her the worst of the details, but he could see that trying to was only making things worse. "It wasn't toad men," he said, "It was an undead beast in the shape of a man - a vampire. It murdered the high priestess in Savonne and fled into the swamp. We weren't able to go after it, so we set patrols around the edge to keep watch and marched after it as soon as we realized it was on the move. It passed through Caerfort before we could catch it, though."

"We did find them. We buried the bodies," he waited a beat and then repeated. "I'm sorry. Sorry that we weren't able to reach them in time."

Savonne, 33rd Kaldezeit

Sieghard nodded. "Their spirits and the spirits of the rest who died by the vampire's hands," he said. "A word of warning about the scroll... We have no idea what's written on it, but given where we found it, it's likely nothing good. Maybe the high priest can learn to translate Nehe- Neja... The dead language... from it, but once he's finished, it may need to be burned."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2021-05-11 at 02:05 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

BlackDragon

Jarla, 29th Kaldezeit

"Father Hieronymous? I've met him... actually he was the one who warned me about the vampire. I really must pay my respects there," Jarla said. She donned her glove and smiled at Sforza. "And thank you your highness."

As he road off Jarla sat back in the saddle and thought of the future - and her place in it.

Arrow Heap

Jarla had been lost in her own thoughts and was taken aback when Sieghard joined her and offered his invitation. "I you like, vampire slayer," she said, shooting the soldier a flirtatious look and letting him escort her on a stroll.

Her coy smile departed as it became clear that this was not exactly a romantic interlude. "No, I wasn't here, though I do remember Adelbert mentioning the Duke in his letters," she lowered her eyes sadly. "As I recall he was quite fond of the man. I suppose things would have been different if you'd fought on his side right?"

At the mention of Elsa she bristled, but let Sieghard finish. "It's complicated. Oh yes I'm still angry at Elsa and Sigmar knows I'd have clawed her eyes out then and there... but maybe she didn't want me to get myself killed doing something stupid." She sighed, turning on a rueful smile. "I fully intend to have my revenge, but I need to find my feet first. Can we talk later? In Savonne?

Savonne, 33rd Kaldezeit

Weary from her journey Jarla offered to accompany Ludo on his rounds. She had not had much occasion to talk with the halfling and since it seemed like Savonne, or at least the Reaches were to be home for her in the foreseeable future she could do worse than taking an evening to discover the town with a native.

"Ludo, do you know anything about the prince's courtiers? What manner of men are they. Besides Sieghard I mean."
    Last edited by RossN; 2021-05-11 at 02:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

"Um," Ludo said, and took a bite of the pie he had purchased to buy himself some time. "You'd do better to talk to Elsa or Sieghard about them really? I've only met them occasionally."

"I like Al'Makir. He's twisty as a corkscrew, as they say, but... oddly straightforward for all that, and always seemed to take me seriously. Valdes seemed like a proper gentleman when I met him in Mirino. I'm not sure I've ever had a proper conversation with Carrociolo. Barbaro is... well. I'm sure he meets the captain's spiritual needs."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2021-05-11 at 02:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim, 33rd Kaldezeit

Urgrim's heart skipped a beat as Grunda bore down on him. He'd imagined she'd be here, but he hadn't dared expect anything in particular to come back from Barak Varr with her. She practically had to force the canvas into his hand – he was frozen in something like shock, with his mouth hanging open.

"I – thank you," he managed. Thankfully, the cheer from the crowd cut through his reverie, and provided an excuse to stow the letter away for now. Later, he thought to himself. You couldn't open that now anyway, in front of everyone, even if you wanted to. He turned to see Elmendrin's entrance, ready to immerse himself in the festive atmosphere.
    Last edited by Thragka; 2021-05-11 at 02:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard - Arrow Heap

"I rather like Elsa's eyes," Sieghard said flatly. "I'd appreciate it if you left them where they are." She had already seen Elsa kiss him, there was no point in denying their relationship.

He kept looking towards the mill. "I said I'll help you, but I won't start another war," he said. "The Reaches wouldn't survive it. If we hadn't killed the vampire as quickly as we did, the Reaches might not have survived him. I think that's what worries Elsa as well. Not that she doesn't want Adelbert avenged or Irene to get what she's earned, but that she knows how high the cost might be."

"If I help you, then whatever we do, we have to be smart about it. Anything else, we can figure out later, but I need to know if you agree to that."

25. - Top - End - #145

BlackDragon

Jarla and Sieghard

Jarla nodded her assent, before adding "I agree" for emphasis. She turned and walked back inside.

Jarla and Ludo

"Ah? Well thank you," Jarla replied, tucking into a pie of her own. "That's honestly helpful and I suppose I shall meet the gentlemen properly soon enough."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo looked awkward for a moment and then continued in a low voice. "Urgrim tells me he spoke to you about... what happened to Adelbert. I was there with him when he died."

27. - Top - End - #147

BlackDragon

Jarla and Ludo

"Yes, Urgrim told me... I'm sorry that must have been awful for you," Jarla said, looking sad yet sympathetic. She reached over and dropped a consoling hand on the Halfling's shoulder. "Look, don't worry, I don't blame you at all. It's not your fault. I'm glad you survived."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo accepted the comfort and smiled ruefully. "I wish I could tell you it was a better way to go. But the last thing he did was to save the life of one of the soldiers accompanying us. He was an excellent healer."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard and Jarla

"Good," Sieghard replied, not taking his eyes off the mill. "As hard as it is, stay close to Irene. Give her no reason to suspect you know what she did. It'll make things easier if she trusts you."

30. - Top - End - #150

BlackDragon

Jarla and Ludo

Jarla smiled, though her eyes were still damp. "Thanks, that's good to know. Oh, and don't say this to Father Hieronymous but I'm glad the killers were eaten by cannibals."