New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIII

Sieghard, 29th Kaldezeit

Rhadegund’s look of confusion and distress only deepened. “Vampire? What… the thing brother Schreiber was always… no, no, you’re wrong.” Getting up, she backed away from the table. “You’re wrong!”

Turning on her heel, she ran for the kitchen. As the door banged behind her, Karolina poked her head out from where she had been cleaning up after the night’s guests.

“You alright there, sir?” she said, seeing where Sieghard was sitting. “Hope you haven’t been upsetting our girl.”

33rd Kaldezeit

Urgrim

The cheers died down as Elmendrin climbed up on a chair, holding her hands out for quiet. She was not particularly dressed for the occasion, but she still had a way about her of commanding the hall. Urgrim noticed that Skorgrund had found his way to her side.

“Dwimmulsons!” she called out. “The warriors we sent south with the umgi prince have returned.” She paused for effect. “Varag Kol is dead!”

The cheers returned at deafening volume. “The manlings drove zonbrynaz through his black heart!” bellowed Grunlok over the din.

Waiting for the noise to subside again, Elmendrin continued. “One of the oldest grudges of our clan has been settled. And soon, the blade that settled it will be back within these walls. The work of our ancestors will be restored to us.” The assembled dwarfs hammered their tankards against the long tables in approval. “For tonight, though, we celebrate. A wrong put right!”

The whole clan shouted the words back - or at least, as many of them as had crammed into the crowded hall. Elmendrin stepped back down off the chair, and the drinking began in earnest.

After a short while, Urgrim heard a disturbance in the crowd behind him, and looked round to see the Rinn approaching, with Grunlok and Berki in tow. “Master Jotunnsson,” she said. “I believe some thanks are in order.” Grunlok slapped him on the shoulder and passed him a fresh tankard of beer. “We are honoured to call you a friend of our clan.”

“Not only did he put a quarrel in the zangunaz,” said Berki, “it’s only his hewing-day too!”

“Drinks for the birthday beardling!” roared Grunlok, turning around and coming back with two more tankards in each hand. He slammed them down on the table and then turned back for another three. “One for each decade! Come on now, drink up!”

~

Sieghard

“Don’t worry, commander” said Cezar, turning the scroll over in his hands. “We’ve handled such things before.”

He paused, something clearly weighing on him. “...It’s all true, then?” he said at last. “The Jackal. He’s really gone?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-11 at 04:26 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo nodded grimly. "As best we can tell. If they turn up, you'll be the first to know."

He gave Jarla a sidelong look. "Not related to anything, I hear the Lady Irene and Filomena, the madam of the Happy Serpent, always despised each other. If someone was looking for an ally against her ladyship..."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jarla & Ludo

Jarla shot Ludo a startled look, before a sly smile slipped across her face. "Okay, I am not going to ask how and why you became so intimate with a madam but thank you, that is very good to know. Where might this... ahem... establishment be located?"

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

"I couldn't say at the moment," Ludo said. "Here in Savonne somewhere."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard - Painford, 31st Kaldezeit

"Wasn't trying to," Sieghard told Karolina apologetically, "There's was some bad news from the village she came from. I thought it would be better to try to break it to her softly than for her to hear rumors and stories from the next caravan to pass through. It didn't quite go as I hoped..."

"She mentioned Adelbert before she ran off," he said. "She's still upset about that?"

Savonne, 33rd Kaldezeit

"I drove the spear through his face myself," Sieghard replied. "All that was left of him was robes, armor, and black ash that blew away on the wind. He's gone, at least so far as I can tell." Of course, dying didn't stop him from coming back before...

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, 29th Kaldezeit

"Don't know that I can rightly say," said Karolina. "Father Schreiber, those kids looked up to him. It hit her hard when he ran off." She paused, setting down the tray of empty cups she'd been collecting. "Suppose they'll never get the chance to talk it over now."

"I need to be getting on," she said, breaking out of the morbid train of thought with a brisk air of business. "Good to be seeing you again, sir."

Sieghard, 33rd Kaldezeit

Cezar nodded gravely. "Raqiyah's spirit will rest easier," he said. He looked down at the earth of the graveyard. "So many people believed... believe, in the name that creature took. I'd like to think, with him dead, maybe something good might be left behind."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #157

BlackDragon

Jarla & Ludo

"Well, another day perhaps," Jarla said, yawning. "I better go to bed. I'll have to face La Principessa in the morning looking my best." She smiled at Ludo. "Thank you again, it was good to talk. We'll have to meet up for drinks soon."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim, 33rd Kaldezeit

Urgrim bowed to Elmendrin, and beamed as he straightened up. Already, the convivial ambiance was buoying his mood. "It's my honour to be welcomed into such esteemed company," he replied. He would have said more, but Berki and Grunlok interrupted with the delivery of drinks.

Urgrim laughed. "Well," he announced, raising a tankard, "I think I can manage, with a little help from my clan-friends." He looked around, waving to call over anyone he recognised – Grunda, Lunn, Rollik, Uthgar, Throndin. "Hearth and home!"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Konigstag, 1st Ulriczeit

Jarla had found no welcome party waiting for her in the keep. The soldiers had plenty of work to do seeing their arms and war machines properly stored, and the Prince and his wife had retired to their private rooms. Finding her way unnoticed to the room Irene had given her, she had slipped quickly into an exhausted sleep.

She woke to a cold draught from the window, the first sliver of sunrise tinging the roofs of the town below with gold. Smoke was already rising from chimneys and cooking fires as the streets of Savonne began to stir. After the desolation of the Dead Hills, it was a welcome change.

Making her way down to the kitchens, she found herself some breakfast - despite the conditions in the city outside, the larders of the keep seemed extremely well-stocked. Chewing on a dried pear, she wandered back up an echoing hallway, and stopped when she heard a familiar voice coming from the great hall.

Irene was giving rapid-fire Tilean to Mouna, the wizened head of the castle’s servants, who was listening and nodding with an impression of utmost attention. The Princess’ two handmaidens trailed behind her as she walked down the length of the hall, indicating with expressive gestures how she wished things to be arranged.

“Ah! Jarla,” she said, catching sight of her though the door stood only slightly ajar. “You’re back! Muzio said you had ridden with the army - why didn’t you come to see me?” Her tone was one of playful reproach. “I hear Holt’s monster is dead, thank the gods. Maybe we’ll finally hear the end of her lectures.”

Beckoning Jarla over, she gestured around them at the cavernous hall. “Muzio agrees that a ball is a splendid idea, to celebrate his victory. We were thinking next Konigstag,” she said, “to give people from the backwaters time to arrive. Mouna here has been helping me plan.” There was a beat, and then she looked at Mouna as if the elderly servant had overstayed her welcome by several thousand years. “You can leave now, Mouna.”

Mouna scuttled off, and Irene fixed Jarla with a very direct look. “So,” she said, “what’s this I hear about you wanting to get married?”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #160

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla had changed into one of the palace dresses Irene had supplied her with, and a pair of matching heels. She still felt like she probably needed an hour in front of a mirror with a battalion of hairdressers, makeup artists and perfumers to properly look her best for court, but her time as an actress had at least allowed her to hit presentable easily and quickly. Fortified with breakfeast she felt as ready as she could to face the universe today.

Jarla had no idea how she'd react to La Principessa once she met her face to face again. She'd expected anger she'd have to hide and there was that. What she hadn't expected was to fall straight back into Irene's aura. The other woman was so beautiful, so regal as to be overwhelming. For a moment Jarla was simply stunned, before her wits travelled back to her and she curtsied.

"My apologies my lady, but I fear after the travel I did not appear at my finest, and did not want to embarrass you by appearing less than respectful," she said, her grey-blue eyes tracking the departing servant. The moment she was gone she relaxed into a playfully smile. "Also my lady I thought you and your husband deserved a little... privacy."

It was hard to fight against Irene's charm when you were actually friends with her. At her question Jarla actually blushed a little. "Yes, it is true. Technically I am still married to that swine Heinrich in Nuln but his highness has said he can free me and then... Well, my lady I am still a young woman. I have not entirely given up the idea of marriage, and should there be a handsome man of name and means, at court...?"

She paused and added. "I know I am your lady-in-waiting your highness and I wish to continue being so. Would you grant me permission to wed?"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Irene gave an odd sort of half-smile. "Well," she said, "I suppose it really depends who you had in mind." She looked down, idly inspecting her hands as if it made no difference to her. "I would have thought after what you told me about your last husband that you might want to be free of them for a while."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #162

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla laughed lightly. "My lady I am not proposing to marry the first half wit in breeches who comes through the door. In fact I may not find anyone to my tastes at all. But I do rather want to see fish in their stream before making my mind up whether I shall have one for supper. Besides, I was rather hoping to stay here in the Reaches, and as generous as you and your husband have been I am too proud to live off another forever even, maybe especially, from a friend."

She smiled mischievously, and turned her profile to Irene, lightly gesturing at her own long neck and cheekbones. "And... not to be vain, but I do have some charm of my own and would like to use it. There is sport in being desired."
    Last edited by RossN; 2021-05-12 at 08:08 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

"Mm," said Irene. There was a hint of reserve in her voice. "As long as they don't make sport of you."

Taking a seat on a bench, she indicated that Jarla should do the same. "Most everyone who's anyone should be attending our little victory celebration, once the invitations have been sent. If you want a stream to fish in, the ball should be well-stocked." She met Jarla's eyes again. "I would be sorry to lose your company, Jarla. But maybe that won't have to be the case." She smiled. "I'm sure any husband worth marrying wouldn't keep you from coming to court, would he?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Despite just returning from a long and exhausting trip, Elsa rose early that morning. She had a lot of catching up to do, having not set foot in Savonne since departing with the Morrite knights for the doomed attack on Nath. She first visited Suzana the merchant and inquired about the state of her food import business.

"Oh, and with winter around the corner, I imagine you'll want to expand?" She dropped the two bags of coins she had recovered from the karst onto Suzana's desk. The heavy clink they made upon hitting the polished wood was a beautiful sound. "I wish to increase my stake by a hundred crowns."

Almost as an afterthought, she dug into her purse and counted another ten. "Make it a hundred and ten. For a nice, round, hundred and fifty total."

Spoiler
    Show
    This is contingent on business still going well, of course.

Elsa's next stop was the clothier who had made her first set of fancy clothes. She was certain that Sforza had some festivities planned and she wanted to put in her order before anyone else. She requested a set of clothes that did not have the previous one's military style, in keeping with the Reaches' (hopeful) new era of peace, and which would be warm and comfortable for the winter—snug-fitting in contrast with the ample dresses of summer, lined with fur, without any metal buttons or buckles, and integrating long warm gloves and some simple but elegant headgear. She also wanted it functional enough to easily ride a horse or climb a castle's steep stairs. She left it up to the clothier to pick the colors which he deemed most appropriate to go with her hair and skin tone, her only requirement being "not white or anything that will make dirt or mud stand out too much".

Spoiler
    Show
    Please don't update my character model this time, as she won't be wearing these clothes on an everyday basis.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-12 at 10:08 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

15. - Top - End - #165

BlackDragon

Jarla

Despite herself Jarla felt a tiny bit touched by Irene's concern. She smiled warmly at the other woman as she sat. "I should think so! My lady, where would I be with out you? Which reminds me, I shall have to rely heavily on your judgement on my clothing and hair for the ball. I fear it has been a long time for me and you always look so elegant."

Jarla was content to while away the the morning gossiping and offering to play a hand of cards with Irene should the princess grow bored. She liked to think she was studying her enemy but a tiny part of her was a little afraid she liked the impossibly glamorous other woman.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Jarla

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    "I should think so! My lady, where would I be with out you? Which reminds me, I shall have to rely heavily on your judgement on my clothing and hair for the ball. I fear it has been a long time for me and you always look so elegant."
    Irene smiled. “Time spent with soldiers will do that to you, my dear,” she said, rising to her feet again. She looked Jarla up and down, taking in the clothes she was wearing. “Muzio told me about your exploits. We’ll have to get you something new - we can’t have the woman who rode into the monster’s lair turning up in a second-hand gown.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Irene is happy to get Jarla fitted for a new dress at the crown's expense - if Jarla's happy to play along and let Irene tell her what suits her then that'll be a free Noble's Garb ready by the end of the week.

No need to continue this scene unless you have anything more you want to add to it.

Elsa

Suzana’s storehouse was looking a little different from how Elsa remembered it. A couple of burly guards now stood outside the gate, and a pair of new carts were being unloaded in the yard.

“Ah, Magister Hildebrand,” said the merchant on seeing Elsa. “I was wondering when I’d see you again. We agreed on an eighth cut for seven weeks, yes? You’ve still got one week to go.” Producing a heavy ledger, she took a seat and began to run her finger down the columns of figures. “Still, if you want what you’re currently owed, I believe that would come to… fifty-two crowns… eleven schillings… and fivepence.” She looked up from her sums, seeming quite confident in the calculation. “I think we have that much in the strongbox. I can have Henrik count it out now, if you want.”

When Elsa brought out her offer of renewed investment, Suzana raised her eyebrows, looking down her nose at the heavy bags of coins. “That’s quite the sum,” she said. “We could certainly use it. I’ve been looking at hiring more guards, and my suppliers in the north are starting to realise they can raise their prices too.” She looked back to Elsa. “What are you asking in return? An extension of our current arrangement?”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa was quite impressed with her share of the profits. Her initial investment had been more than recouped, and she now made a lot more per month as an investor than as a court wizard. Which... did not seem fair to hard-working wizards everywhere, but she supposed she should not complain.

"What are you asking in return? An extension of our current arrangement?"

"Correct," said Elsa with a quick nod. "More guards does seem like a good idea; hungry people will do desperate things. Oh, and of course I'll want everything on paper and notarized, with a copy for me and another in the care of a third party. As you can imagine, I lead a dangerous life, and should something happen to me, my inheritors must be able to take over my shares without having to come over here and leaf through ledgers."

Though she left it unstated, she also could not fully trust a merchant. She would not be cheated—she was the court wizard, and people rightfully feared her—but if she died while still owning shares in the business, Elsa could easily imagine Suzana "misplacing" some important paperwork.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-12 at 01:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard - Savonne, 33rd Kaldezeit

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Cezar nodded gravely. "Raqiyah's spirit will rest easier," he said. He looked down at the earth of the graveyard. "So many people believed... believe, in the name that creature took. I'd like to think, with him dead, maybe something good might be left behind."
    "The best that could come out of that beast is a warning," Sieghard opined, "The hound that tried to rise up against Morr and was struck down. Or something like that..."

Sieghard woke early and made his way down to the docks. With winter on its way, the scale of the shanty town was concerning. People would need better than tents by the time the the first snows began to fall. His first bit of business was to check on the people who had been housed in the properties he had claimed from Dragos. Part of the deal he had made when he sent lumber north from the Thornwood was that they would be given first access to any new housing that was built, but he still expected there would be some who had yet to move out. He needed to know how many.

He found Burhan next and delivered the good news about Nahorek's death. After assuring the merchant several more times that the vampire was truly gone, he turned the conversation towards trade. "Before all the ugliness with No-Nose, you were saying something about wanting to grow your business. The Azril River Trading Company, I think wanted to call it. Have you put any more thought into that?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2021-05-12 at 03:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

"I know a scribe who can draw up the papers," said Suzana, "if you'll split the cost of his fee. It shouldn't be high."

She looked back down at her books. "A hundred and ten crowns... that would be enough to continue our current arrangement through to... the end of next Pflugzeit, I think. Yes... the twenty-seventh." She closed the ledger. "How often would you be wanting to collect?"

Sieghard

Sieghard found the buildings by the river almost as crowded as he had left them. The Greenapple house was looking more run-down and dirty, while makeshift structures had been erected inside the warehouses, trying to give the inhabitants some measure of privacy and shelter from each other. The overall effect was to make their interiors into a dark warren of scavenged timber and stretched canvas. Thinking back to that choking night that Elsa had nearly burned down the Old Town, he looked around at the candles and lanterns that lit the dingy space. It would not take much for this whole place to go up in flames.

Outside the close air of the warehouses, he found Burhan - something of a changed man since his brush with death. No longer quite so full of ebullient energy, he seemed surprised and a little frightened to see Sieghard again.

"Oh! Ah, nice to see you too, old, um, friend," he said, shuffling some papers to try to look busy. "Well, I mean, we're making ends meet. Still got the boats, you know, still got the boats. Still... moving cargo." He cleared his throat, which seemed to have gone dry. "Did... you... have some thoughts?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

"I know a scribe who can draw up the papers, if you'll split the cost of his fee. It shouldn't be high."

"Yes, absolutely," said Elsa, with a pang of sadness for Adelbert at the mention of a scribe.

"How often would you be wanting to collect?"

"I'm thinking the end of each month," suggested Elsa, "provided my duties don't take me out of Savonne too often. Thank you again. From my return on investment, I see this business is in good hands."

Later that day, Elsa sought out Jarla in hopes of mending their relationship.

"Jarla. Our last conversation ended badly, and I don't want you to give me the cold shoulder from now on. At the time I didn't think of how much hurt you carried over your brother's murder." She offered a hand. "Will you go on a horse ride with me? I have many stories to tell about Adelbert."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Something troubling you?" Sieghard asked. He hadn't missed the merchant's manner or the hesitation before the word friend. "Seems like there's something on your mind."

"Did... you... have some thoughts?"

"Well, the war is ended and the vampire slain. There's no more need to send supplies to the siege lines, but there's rebuilding to do. A chance for the Reaches to heal and grow." he said. "Trade is more your area than mine, but I know the city has need of lumber and food. And with the shift of power, there may be opportunities with the Putbad guilds as well... Moving materials and goods for them to and from Savonne or even beyond the Reaches." He thought for a moment. "I know the Prince is planning something to celebrate our victory in the south and I have a few acquaintances in Putbad. If you think there's a chance something could come of it, I may be able to introduce you."

Spoiler
    Show
    We'll throw untrained charm to see if we can get Burhan to open up about whatever it is that has him acting this way.
    (1d100)[19] vs 27
    (1d100)[67] reroll

Nice.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2021-05-12 at 06:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

"It's a pleasure doing business with you, Magister," said Suzana. "I assume we can find you at the castle - I'll have Henrik bring you the papers once they're ready."

Sieghard

"Oh no, you just, uh, took me by surprise is all. That and you know, the last time I saw you I, um... nearly died."

Despite his nerves, Burhan was listening to what Sieghard had to say. "Friends in Putbad, eh? That's certainly interesting. If we had a vessel north of the falls that would double our reach." He raised his eyebrows. "And if you could make those introductions, you'd be looking for some kind of... stake in the venture?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Ludo had been in Savonne for a few days before he went to visit Adelbert's grave. He had always been uncomfortable with this, and had been to the small plot of land on the edge of Sermena where his mother was buried shamefully rarely, but it felt like it was an appropriate time now. The tenders of the garden had done a good job covering the damage dealt to the ground on Geheimisnacht, but it meant that Adelbert's plot didn't stand out as new. His grave marker had a verenan owl carved on it, and Ludo realised that the news of Adelbert's loss of faith probably hadn't been communicated to Hieronymous.

He had - shamefully - chosen a time to visit shortly before his appointment, so after awkwardly informing Adelbert that they had killed the vampire - and apologising, because Jarla had probably already let him know and it was old news by now - he had only a few minutes before heading into the temple to meet Hieronymous and those of the priesthood of Morr that remained, Meskhenet in her box in his hands.

"I imagine you've heard the news by now," he began, once they were all gathered. "The vampire is... as best we can tell destroyed. He was turned to dust by the dwarven spear that killed him before. We lured him into a trap."

"Have you been informed as to how we knew how to trick the vampire?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know if I'm making up too much about the garden of morr or adelbert's grave marker or whatever
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2021-05-13 at 08:02 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174

BlackDragon

Jarla & Elsa

Jarla had spent the morning with La Principessa, gossiping, playing cards and providing general entertainment. She wasn't sure whether it was a good or bad thing to be good at being a lady's companion but she was evidently quite good at it.

After a light luncheon she departed from her mistress and made her way to the stables to check on Countess. While brushing her steed's mane (she had no faith whatsoever in the castle stablehands) Jarla realised she had a visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    Later that day, Elsa sought out Jarla in hopes of mending their relationship.

"Jarla. Our last conversation ended badly, and I don't want you to give me the cold shoulder from now on. At the time I didn't think of how much hurt you carried over your brother's murder." She offered a hand. "Will you go on a horse ride with me? I have many stories to tell about Adelbert."
    Jarla hesitated, but after a moment took Elsa's hand. She even smiled slightly.

"As it happens I was planning on a ride to clear my head, so if you are taking that great black beast of yours you can join me. If we're careful Irene won't spot us and if she hears we've been spotted together I'll fib and say I was seducing you to learn your schemes."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

"We can depart a few minutes apart and meet just outside the north gate," suggested Elsa, beginning to saddle her recalcitrant horse. "Let's go halfway to Selsan and back. That road's quite beautiful."

During the ride, she entertained Jarla with anecdotes involving her brother, such as the time she had hired a lady of negotiable affections to seduce Adelbert in hopes of getting him to loosen up a bit, only for the paranoid Adelbert to draw a sword on the poor woman; and also the time Adelbert had endeavoured to recover Father Hieronymus' two runaway owls and actually managed to find and bring back one. She spoke highly of Adelbert's bravery in the face of mortal danger, in spite of his middling combat skill. However, she carefully steered clear of mentioning the trouble his stubbornness had gotten him into on at least one notable occasion, his bitter and rather one-sided enmity with then-Captain Sforza, his scheming to support Duke Alvarr, or his falling-outs with Rhadegund and Aisha.

"I want you to know," she said at last, reining in her horse, "I do want justice for Adelbert. But please understand that it took Sieghard, Ludo and I a couple of years to attain the kind of status that you've achieved in mere weeks. It's a lot harder to wager ten shillings you've earned by the sweat of your brow than ten shillings you've won with a good hand."

She cast a long gaze at the brown, autumnal fields on both sides of the dirt road. "Not to mention that the Reaches finally have a shadow of a hope for peace and stability. None of us is keen to throw it away."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-13 at 09:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Oh no, you just, uh, took me by surprise is all. That and you know, the last time I saw you I, um... nearly died."

"It ended very poorly for the man who tried," Sieghard said sympathetically. "If that's not warning enough for anyone who might think to lay a finger on you, I wouldn't hesitate to teach him the same lesson."

"Friends in Putbad, eh? That's certainly interesting. If we had a vessel north of the falls that would double our reach. And if you could make those introductions, you'd be looking for some kind of... stake in the venture?"

"Of course," he replied, grinning. "We'd all be very rich men - that was the plan, wasn't it? I know the late Count Groz's widow and met a few of the other guilders, some of them her family. We're not close enough that any of them would call me a friend, but I could certainly take you to meet them and see if any of them are interested in talking business. I'll make sure word of the Prince's ball reaches them - I'm sure some of them will come down for the celebrations. Come as my guest and I'll introduce you then."

When Sieghard finished his business with Burhan, he went to find Filomena and explained that he was finally ready to arrange the sale.

"Gods willing, we'll have a bit of peace now," he said after giving a quick summary of events involving Nahorek (one that Filomena didn't seem particularly interested in). "Give me a couple of days and I can have the Greenapple house empty and ready. The warehouses may take a bit longer, but I have time to work on that now."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

Brother Cezar was waiting for him, but Hieronymus was a little late, having apparently been somewhere else out in the town. The old priest seemed happy to see Ludo again, apologising for his tardiness.

"Prince Sforza has given us an... abridged account, I suppose you might say," he said, "of the details he feels are important." He took a seat. "I must say, after Geheimnisnacht, everything we've learned and lost... it's difficult to believe that the creature is really dead." He gave Ludo a weak smile. "But Verena could not ask for more credible witnesses."

"Have you been informed as to how we knew how to trick the vampire?"
    The two priests exchanged glances.

"No," said Hieronymus, after a pause. "I don't believe his highness mentioned that detail."

Sieghard

Burhan chewed his lip and looked away, wheels turning in his head. "The Count's widow?" he said. "Alright... alright, yes, count me in."

A little of his old enthusiasm seemed to be coming back to him.

~

Filomena took some finding. At last, Sieghard tracked her down in the Old Town, in a nondescript building on a newly-rebuilt street. Pietro stood outside the door, just as he'd used to in Mirino.

"Gods willing, we'll have a bit of peace now," he said after giving a quick summary of events involving Nahorek (one that Filomena didn't seem particularly interested in). "Give me a couple of days and I can have the Greenapple house empty and ready. The warehouses may take a bit longer, but I have time to work on that now."
    "About time," said Filomena. "I'm ready to buy as soon as you're ready to sell, Sieghard."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    "We made use of, ah, psychological advantages," Ludo said carefully. "We looked into how he was previously defeated - a trap that appealed to his sense of superiority - and repeated that. But the method by which we got this information was... Father Hieronymous. I hope, after everything we've been through together, you trust me now? You trust my skills and my... my moral judgement, and the value I put on knowledge in all it's forms."

He sighed. "We discovered many of the things we know about the vampire by speaking to another member of the undead. She was a member of the Nehekeharan society that killed the vampire before, and later attempted to use the Book of Nagash to defend her people from the greenskins. This... went wrong somehow, and condemned her and them to undeath."

"Until recently, she was a prisoner in Kheneb-Ptra-Urush. We recovered her, recently. She's in this box."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm test to try and get them to be chill about this: (1d100)[92] vs 92

29. - Top - End - #179

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla had appeared on Countess shortly, looking resplendent in her custom riding clothes and hat. Elsa may have been starting to take note that here was a woman who would never appear at less than her best.

Jarla listened to her companion's anecdotes, occassionally interupting to clarify a point or laughing lightly at a particular adventure, notably on the recovery of the owl and her brother's ill-starred encounter with the prostitute. "I shall have to ask the girl myself when I speak to Filomeana," she commented dryly.

"I understand your points," Jarla said at last after Elsa had finished. "I can't claim to have worked as hard as you or your friends... but without casting doubt on that we all work with what we have, and I'm sure others have asked much about you. You have your magic. I have my beauty, my wits, my skill with the pistol and my horse. Between the two of us who do you think could do more damage to a kingdom?"

Jarla turned her grey-blue eyes to look at Elsa directly. "You may as well know; among much else I am a highwaywoman. I'm not a crazed killer but I've robbed sufficent gentlemen and ladies I'd be looking at a noose back in the Empire."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

"I shall have to ask the girl myself when I speak to Filomena."

"She's called Nuri," said Elsa, "though I must warn you she certainly didn't find the incident amusing, and won't have anything kind to say about your brother. Or me."

"You may as well know; among much else I am a highwaywoman. I'm not a crazed killer but I've robbed sufficient gentlemen and ladies I'd be looking at a noose back in the Empire."

Elsa was startled by the admission. "Huh. I see. Well, maybe I owe you a secret in return... I'm wanted in the Empire, too. Magic duel that ended badly. A witch hunter and his goons came for me, once. One day there may be others. Or, worse, a College agent; those don't bother with a show trial, they just kill you with as little fuss as possible. For a time I was using a false name, Beatrix Hildebrand. I still use it for some purposes."

She cast a glance over her shoulder. The rock of Savonne was still visible, though it looked quite small. "Shall we turn around? It's mid-afternoon already and the days are getting short."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: