New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIII

Sieghard

As Burhan and Jorg left to talk business and Uto and Lady Groz headed to the dance floor, Sieghard turned to Elsa and offered his arm. "Join me?"

As the song went on and the dancers switched partners, he found himself dancing with the woman who had been Esteban's partner next, then with one of Irene's handmaidens, and then a trio of guilders' daughters from Putbad, each in turn. At the end of the song, he found himself dancing with Jarla. Though he lacked the fencer's grace that came so naturally to Esteban, he managed to keep rhythm with the song fairly well and was confident enough in his footwork (and unlike Carraciolo, he had gotten through the dance without spending half of it trying to look down the front of her dress).

"I'm too sober for this," he joked as the music slowed and the next song began. "How about a drink?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Presumably this is after Jarla is done speaking with Hieronymus. Let's hear this scheme of yours.

When he had finished speaking with Jarla, he headed back into the main hall and spotted the Thorns still standing off to the side of the room. "Hanna, Gustaf, Ingwald," he said as he approached, "What are the three of you doing just standing there? It's a party. Have a drink. Enjoy yourselves. It's not every day you shoot down a vampire."

Spoiler
    Show
    Following up on this...

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    If it's a handmaiden perhaps offer to introduce her to some strapping young soldier boys, that kind of thing.
    Does it look like there's anyone whose caught any of their eyes?
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2021-05-21 at 03:14 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jarla

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    “Oh - Fraulein Schreiber!” said Hieronymus, turning to Jarla in surprise. “Well, I suppose, passably well.” He looked around at the dancers and musicians. “Though I must confess, when I pictured the vampire’s defeat… this was not what I had in mind.”

Somehow the old priest seemed a little sharper than he had been when she met him at the temple, his gaze a little more penetrating. “I saw you passing by with the principessa, he said, pleasantly. “Your brother would have been pleased to see you making friends in such high places.”
    Jarla smiled, a trace of sadness in her expression and handed the priest a glass of wine. "Adelbert was as stubborn as a dwarf, and so am I in my own way. I miss him terribly but I'm glad he found a mentor he could appreciate." As the music started up again she shrugged, drained her own glass and leaned in to give the high priest a chaste peck on the cheek as if he were a favoured uncle. "Duty calls. I may lean more towards Ranald than Verena Father but you and the Temple will always have a friend at court while I'm here."

Winking at Carraciolo as he spun off (she had to admit he was rather impressive up close) Jarla turned to her new partner, the handsome merchant whose name she had not yet heard. She had to admit she was having a lot of and as she leaned in a little closer to the stranger she admired the jut of his jaw and his rakish beard (they did rather send her dizzy). "You dance well my lord," she said breathlessly. "Who are you?"

Another change and to her surprise she found herself with Sieghard. Jarla wrinkle her nose and giggled at his joke, then nodded at his offer of a drink. Even her stamina was not invincible and her shoes, though utterly gorgeous were not built for this constant punishment anymore than her feet.

Another glass of wine, far from her first for the evening, and she sat down, next to Sieghard. "So," she said, lightly touching his arm with her fingers and favouring him with a exhilirated smile. "At Arrow Heap when we talked you said you liked Elsa's eyes. Are you and she... more than just comrades?"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Sieghard turned to Elsa and offered his arm. "Join me?"
    Elsa smiled and took his arm. "Oh, is this the wielder of the spear? Magister Elsabeth Holt, court wizard to Prince Muzio Sforza, deems you worthy of a dance."

As they danced, Elsa whispered to him, a gleam in her eyes: "I think... I think I'm in a good place in my life, right now. Maybe the best I've ever been. I don't usually stop to think about these things, but it's clear to me tonight. I can't remember a time I ever felt as fulfilled in the present, and as hopeful about the future."

A glimpse of Irene reminded her that there was always more trouble on the horizon, but she did not let that spoil her happiness. The Border Princes were a place where you had to learn to enjoy the present, because you never knew what fresh hardships the next month or year had in store. This was true of life in general, she supposed, but especially in the Border Princes.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-21 at 08:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    When she had the chance, Elsa took a minute of Hieronymus's time to inquire: "Can you make something of the scroll I sent you? Even with the vampire dead, having someone in the Reaches who can read Nehekharan may prove useful."
    "In time, I'm sure," said Hieronymus. "My Arabyan is a little rusty, and the dialect is archaic - but it's readable, very readable. That really is a precious document you found, Magister." He leaned on his stick, studying Elsa's face. "It came from the ruins, yes? A shame more couldn't be saved."

The high priest's manner seemed livelier and more alert than Elsa remembered, as if his years were weighing less heavily upon him. Even his eyes seemed clearer, a keen, inquiring light in them that Elsa hadn't seen before.

"Of course," he said, lowering his voice, "there is... another Nehekharan text that we should still be keeping in the forefront of our minds," he said. "Do you know if his highness has any plans regarding it, now that the Jackal is gone? He hasn't given any indication to us."

She found Carraciolo taking a break from the dancing, refilling his cup of wine to recover from his turn about with Jarla.

"Do we know who now rules in Morr's Seat? Are they likely to be trouble?"
    "Why, signora Holt?" he asked with an insouciant air. "Are you planning a trip there soon?"

Taking a sip of his drink, he looked around the hall, as if searching for someone else. Elsa felt her hackles rise at the Tilean's obvious lack of respect. "Prince Sforza rules in Morr's Seat," he said. "The villages up there take care of their own affairs, but what do we care who they call their head man, as long as they pay their tribute?"

Lastly she paid her respects to Lady Groz. "You're well rid of Falkenwald," she said. "He already had a reputation as a backstabbing opportunist, and there was always something a bit off about his associate Gunda. Why my employer trusted them with your safety is beyond me. I trust young Eberhard is well?"
    "Very well, thank you," said Leona, giving Elsa a courteous curtsey. "He's with the nursemaid. I don't think her highness would have appreciated an infant at the ball."

~
    Jarla

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Winking at Carraciolo as he spun off (she had to admit he was rather impressive up close) Jarla turned to her new partner, the handsome merchant whose name she had not yet heard. She had to admit she was having a lot of and as she leaned in a little closer to the stranger she admired the jut of his jaw and his rakish beard (they did rather send her dizzy). "You dance well my lord," she said breathlessly. "Who are you?"
    "Uto Varrel, my lady," said her dance partner, smiling as he mirrored Jarla's formality. "I don't think I've had the pleasure of making your acquaintance before, either."

~
    Sieghard

When he had finished speaking with Jarla, he headed back into the main hall and spotted the Thorns still standing off to the side of the room. "Hanna, Gustaf, Ingwald," he said as he approached, "What are the three of you doing just standing there? It's a party. Have a drink. Enjoy yourselves. It's not every day you shoot down a vampire.
    "That's all - it's all very well - you can say - for you to say it, sir," said Gustaf, barely raising his voice above a mumble. "You've got practice, like, talking to the nobs." He practically shrank into his shoes as the small solar system of would-be courtiers orbiting the Prince passed them by. "I can't help it, every time I hear 'em talk I think they're going to set the dogs on us."

"The way his highness talked about it," said Hanna, who seemed more composed, "you'd think it was him who did the shooting."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

"It came from the ruins, yes? A shame more couldn't be saved."

Elsa smiled wryly. "The Prince really wanted that tower burned. We were fortunate to save that much. Why is it that libraries always get burned? It seems like an inevitability of history. Whenever there's a library, someone will burn it to the ground."

"Of course, there is... another Nehekharan text that we should still be keeping in the forefront of our minds. Do you know if his highness has any plans regarding it, now that the Jackal is gone? He hasn't given any indication to us."

"He's mentioned having it sent to a Myrmidian temple in one of the western realms," said Elsa, glancing at the Prince, "though I'm not sure when. The sooner it's out of the Reaches, the better. It's done enough damage to this land already... some of which may never be undone."

She sighed. "I once wanted to keep that book where I could see it. Now I'll settle for making it someone else's problem."

"Prince Sforza rules in Morr's Seat," Carraciolo said. "The villages up there take care of their own affairs, but what do we care who they call their head man, as long as they pay their tribute?"

Elsa shrugged. "I like to know who my neighbors are." She also wondered what had become of the two Norscan survivors, but found it best not to ask about them directly.

"Have a pleasant evening, Giovanni. And good luck with Lady Schreiber." She winked and took her leave.

"Very well, thank you," said Leona, giving Elsa a courteous curtsey. "He's with the nursemaid. I don't think her highness would have appreciated an infant at the ball."

"Hmm, she doesn't seem like the motherly sort." Elsa paused, then dared to voice something that was likely on everyone's minds but that no one was discussing out loud so far: "The Prince will want an heir soon, I imagine."

Not for the first time, she wondered about Irene's bout of sickness. A maid had been dismissed over this, but accusations may well have been fabricated to hide something else. Perhaps Elsa's initial suspicion had been correct. If Irene was fertile but actively trying not to have a child... Elsa could not fault her for this, really, but it would have consequences.

Or maybe it's best not to make too much wild speculation over someone vomiting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"So," she said, lightly touching his arm with her fingers and favouring him with a exhilirated smile. "At Arrow Heap when we talked you said you liked Elsa's eyes. Are you and she... more than just comrades?"
    Sieghard glanced around and was relieved to see that those around them seemed sufficiently distracted. "Oh, I think you've already figured out the answer to that," he said, taking a drink from his glass. "You were there in the tent with us after the battle." He smiled. There was something refreshing about being able to be honest about it. "I'll ask again that you keep quiet about it. It could cause... problems... if people knew how things are between the two of us."

"I think... I think I'm in a good place in my life, right now. Maybe the best I've ever been. I don't usually stop to think about these things, but it's clear to me tonight. I can't remember a time I ever felt as fulfilled in the present, and as hopeful about the future."
    "We've done well for ourselves," Sieghard whispered back, losing himself in her eyes. "Better than I ever dared to dream. A year and a half ago I never would've thought it possible. There's still so much more to do, but now that there's peace we've really got a chance to build something great."

A part of him knew that he was perhaps being too optimistic, but he didn't care. He was more satisfied than he ever remembered being and didn't want the moment to end.

"That's all - it's all very well - you can say - for you to say it, sir," said Gustaf, barely raising his voice above a mumble. "You've got practice, like, talking to the nobs." He practically shrank into his shoes as the small solar system of would-be courtiers orbiting the Prince passed them by. "I can't help it, every time I hear 'em talk I think they're going to set the dogs on us."

"The way his highness talked about it," said Hanna, who seemed more composed, "you'd think it was him who did the shooting."
    "Ah, but he was always going to act that way," Sieghard replied. "We serve him, so our victory is his victory and all that. No reason we can't let them know who it was that actually did the deed. Just as long as we leave out the part about him falling off his horse."

"And you," he said, turning his attention to Gustaf specifically. "You're the one who shot the vampire in the chest, aren't you? You ran out there even with all those ghosts around to save that dwarf's life, didn't you? Don't try denying it, Ludo told me the whole story. Them?" he said, gesturing towards the rest of the room, "They're nothing near as bad as that. You're far too brave to act so nervous. I'm sure there's some pretty lass out there who'd love to hear that story. Find her and tell it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Inspire roll?

(1d100)[29]
    (1d100)[48] reroll

7. - Top - End - #217

BlackDragon

Jarla

"Uto Varrel, my lady," said her dance partner, smiling as he mirrored Jarla's formality. "I don't think I've had the pleasure of making your acquaintance before, either."
    "Jarla Schreiber," Jarla purred. "Her highness's lafy-in-waiting. Well I know a merchant when I see one Herr Varrel... even an unusually handsome one, but I fear I have not come across your name before. Are you not from Savonne?"

Sieghard glanced around and was relieved to see that those around them seemed sufficiently distracted. "Oh, I think you've already figured out the answer to that," he said, taking a drink from his glass. "You were there in the tent with us after the battle." He smiled. There was something refreshing about being able to be honest about it. "I'll ask again that you keep quiet about it. It could cause... problems... if people knew how things are between the two of us."
    "Don't worry your secret is safe with me," Jarla said, smiling. "Actually I was going to suggest that if you and Holt are looking to keep it a secret at least make a show of courting other people, in public if nothing else. Who was thatwoman you were talking to earlier? She looked rather pretty."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

The Temple
    "Please inform me if you change your mind," Ludo said. "I would like the opportunity to say goodbye to her."

He spoke briefly to Meskhenet in Classical, explaining how he would be handing her over to Hieronymous's care, before bidding farewell to Cesar and walking with Hieronymous through the temple grounds.

"I'm sorry I was unable to visit you after the attack," he said to Hieronymous. "I was tied up defending Elsa down in Manaan's Keep and, well, you may have heard the rest. I hope you're recovering well?"

The Ball
    Ludo had left the Thorns to their own devices for a while, and instead made an approach to the Dwimmulsons, bowing as he approached the Rinn and speaking in his faltering Khazalid. <Rinn. It is good to see that Sforza returned the spear, though he definitely made sure everyone saw him doing it, didn't he? At least he didn't try and exchange it for some kind of favour.>

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I've made efforts to," Sieghard replied, though in truth they had been fairly halfhearted and only for the sake of appearances. "The woman I spoke with was Leona Groz. Her husband was the ruler of a part of the Reaches up river of here, but was killed earlier this year. It's a rather sad story."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 2nd Ulriczeit

"I'm sorry I was unable to visit you after the attack," he said to Hieronymous. "I was tied up defending Elsa down in Manaan's Keep and, well, you may have heard the rest. I hope you're recovering well?"
    "Well enough," said Hieronymus, brushing it off - although Ludo could tell from the pace of their walk that the high priest's legs weren't serving him as well as they used to. "A nasty business, that trial. You know poor Father Schreiber's sister has come looking for him?" He shook his head. "I'm afraid all we could show her was the body."

The Victory Ball

Ludo
    <Rinn. It is good to see that Sforza returned the spear, though he definitely made sure everyone saw him doing it, didn't he? At least he didn't try and exchange it for some kind of favour.>
    <Yet,> said Skorgrund. Elmendrin shot the white-bearded elder a look.

<It's good to see you back safe, master Stubbs,> she said, in a much more diplomatic tone. <We're very glad to have the spear back in our keeping.>

Jarla

"Jarla Schreiber," Jarla purred. "Her highness's lady-in-waiting. Well I know a merchant when I see one Herr Varrel... even an unusually handsome one, but I fear I have not come across your name before. Are you not from Savonne?"
    "Putbad," said Uto. He saw the lack of recognition in Jarla's eyes. "Upriver? The Silver Falls? Ah, but I can tell from your voice you're not from these parts." He smiled. "You'd be very welcome to come and visit."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

2nd Ulriczeit
    "We've spoken to her about it," Ludo said sadly. "I think it's helped."

He had been tempted to ask Hieronymous about the fight with the Daemon but it seemed inappropriate here in this setting. It also seemed oddly tempting to ask the Verenan for advice on what to do about Jarla and Irene... but he quashed the temptation.

The Victory Ball
    Ludo had to pause for a moment to find his Khazalid vocabulary. <"My condolences to the family of Moragina. The information we got from the priest was what allowed us to kill the vampire.">

<"I also wanted to apologise on behalf of me and my friends that we didn't inform you about the spear before. We... should have shown more trust to the Dwimmulsons.">

12. - Top - End - #222

BlackDragon

Jarla

Sieghard

"I've made efforts to," Sieghard replied, though in truth they had been fairly halfhearted and only for the sake of appearances. "The woman I spoke with was Leona Groz. Her husband was the ruler of a part of the Reaches up river of here, but was killed earlier this year. It's a rather sad story."
    "Ah yes I think Irene has mentioned her before and I danced with a guildsman from up there. " Jarla said, smiling to herself. "Very good looking. I adore a handsome man with a dashing beard."

She seemed lost in thought for a moment before coming back to earth. Taking her glass she took another sip. "Well anyway it was a thought, help keep principessa guessing and a little unbalanced on her gorgeous feet. Talk it over with Holt."

She reached over and patted Sieghard on his arm before getting to her feet and returning to the dance floor.

"Putbad," said Uto. He saw the lack of recognition in Jarla's eyes. "Upriver? The Silver Falls? Ah, but I can tell from your voice you're not from these parts." He smiled. "You'd be very welcome to come and visit."
    Jarla wrinkled her nose in mock dismay. "Awfully far, but I'll see if can talk her highness into a state visit... or a holiday."

She had a discrete look around to see if her other would be suitors were still around. Al-Makir seemed to have vanished but she was increasingly of the belief he had scant interest in women. Unfortunate - he seemed a pleasant, urbane man and undoubtedly richer than Handrich - but there you went. So, Giovanni Carraciolo, Esteban Valdes, Stefan Sussman and perhaps even this pleasant stranger from Putbad. She'd made her impressions for the evening, time to see how they acted over the next few days.
    Last edited by RossN; 2021-05-21 at 05:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Hold a moment," Sieghard said, reaching for Jarla's hand. "Why would I need to keep principessa guessing?" he asked.

She knows, Sieghard realized after Jarla had explained the comment Irene had made. Or at the very least, she suspects it. "Tell her... Tell her that you think you made a good impression on me," he said. Anything more he'd need to talk to Elsa about first, but that was enough to lead Irene around while not being so much that it couldn't be passed off as being polite later. "Whatever else you say about tonight, say that. And when you get a chance, let me know how she reacts. I wouldn't mention anything about me and Elsa, but if she brings it up, do you think you could find out how much she knows or how she figured it out?"

14. - Top - End - #224

BlackDragon

Jarla

Sieghard

"Hold a moment," Sieghard said, reaching for Jarla's hand. "Why would I need to keep principessa guessing?" he asked.

She knows, Sieghard realized after Jarla had explained the comment Irene had made. Or at the very least, she suspects it. "Tell her... Tell her that you think you made a good impression on me," he said. Anything more he'd need to talk to Elsa about first, but that was enough to lead Irene around while not being so much that it couldn't be passed off as being polite later. "Whatever else you say about tonight, say that. And when you get a chance, let me know how she reacts. I wouldn't mention anything about me and Elsa, but if she brings it up, do you think you could find out how much she knows or how she figured it out?"
    "I don't know if she knows," Jarla said, glancing down at her hand. "But she did mention you and that you were terribly common, a fact which doesn't bother 'some people' as she put it, so I think she thinks you might be involved with some woman. Still, I'll tell her you seemed to enjoy my flirting. Most men do, and some women. Just be careful, both of you."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

Elmendrin didn't contradict Ludo's assessment. <What matters most is that it has served the purpose it was forged for,> she said. <Valaya grant us that we won't need it again.>

All

The dancing, drinking and feasting went on late into the night, until gradually the guests began to depart. With the exception of the Dwimmulsons, those whose absence would be noticed took care to pay tribute to the Sforzas before leaving. By the time the musicians finally stopped their playing and the hall began to clear in earnest, it was well past midnight.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa did not drink much that night, but claimed a still mostly-full bottle of red that remained on a table at the end of the feast. Though the party was starting to wind down, it was not nearly over; not for her, at least.

"Let's leave separately and meet again at the place," Elsa told Sieghard, an excited little smile on her lips. "I hope you'll like my choice."

She said all the expected pleasantries to all the important people, then headed back to her room to drop off Khalida, as she doubted snakes were welcome at the Happy Serpent despite the establishment's name.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    By the time the musicians finally stopped their playing and the hall began to clear in earnest, it was well past midnight.
    I imagine Elsa and Sieghard will be leaving around 11pm, then. I'm paying 5 gc, I want my money's worth.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

<"If we do, it's in the best place,"> Ludo said. <"How is Berki? The men who pulled him out - Gustaf, over there - were asking after him.">

---

As she was leaving, Ludo caught up with Leona Groz, and after as much small talk as he had deemed appropriate, asked after Roth and the remaining members of Groz's soldiery. "I'm sure you heard what happened with Falkenwald... I was very worried that they were caught up in it."

18. - Top - End - #228

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla thoroughly enjoyed herself dancing, drinking and eating and getting to be the second most glamorous woman in the room (and unlike the first she was available.) She tripped the light fantastic once more with her earlier dance partners and one or two more for good measure and in between she was able to snatch conversations with those of the great and good she had yet to formally meet, such as Leona who she had Sieghard introduce her too ("A pleasure to meet you your Grace, I hope to visit your city someday.")

As the evening drew to a close she gave demure kisses on the cheeks to Giovanni Carraciolo, Esteban Valdes, Abdul Al-Makir, Stefan Sussman, Uto Varrel and even Sieghard and thanked each for their dances and kind words with many a fluttered eyelash.

In between all this exhausting flirting she remained 'on duty' just in case Irene had a hair emergency or cracked a nail and finally retired to bed well after midnight, tipsy and exhausted but happy and hopeful she had won the affection of at least one admirer.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Let's leave separately and meet again at the place," Elsa told Sieghard, an excited little smile on her lips. "I hope you'll like my choice."
    "I'm sure I will," Sieghard replied as a mischievous smirk crept onto his face. "If you're ready to go now, I won't be far behind."

After Elsa left, Sieghard found Burhan again and they talked briefly about what had come of his conversation with Jorg. When he had finished, he said his goodbyes to Leona Groz and wished her and her son well, gave his respects to the prince and princess, and slipped out into the night, making his way towards the riverfront.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2021-05-22 at 02:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

<"How is Berki? The men who pulled him out - Gustaf, over there - were asking after him.">
    <Well recovered, thank you,> said the Rinn. She looked over in the direction Ludo had pointed. <The clan owes those men a debt of thanks.>

As she was leaving, Ludo caught up with Leona Groz, and after as much small talk as he had deemed appropriate, asked after Roth and the remaining members of Groz's soldiery. "I'm sure you heard what happened with Falkenwald... I was very worried that they were caught up in it."
    "I did," said Leona. "Though it all happened very fast. But no, Axel and his friends stayed in Putbad at my request." She looked over to where the Putbad guilders had wandered off. "That's where they are now, guarding the house. I didn't think I'd need protection, travelling down in company."

Angestag, 10th Ulriczeit

Jarla

The next morning, Jarla found herself summoned to breakfast with the principessa. Irene was eating smoked fish in the solar, with no other company except one of her maids and the two Iron Company men on the door. Mouth full, she motioned with her knife for Jarla to sit down.

"So," she said, when she had swallowed what she was chewing. "What did you make of them?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-22 at 03:24 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #231

BlackDragon

Angestag, 10th Ulriczeit

Jarla

Not for the first time Jarla thanked Ranald for her experience on the stage. She could twist her copper hair into something manageable, dress and even apply a little light makeup at enviable speed. Taking a seat she smiled at her mistress, determined not to show that some of the affects from last night had lingered.

"Giovanni spent the evening peering down my bodice so intently I surprised he didn't tip over. He is as you say a brute, but I'd be lying if I said there was nothing there. The man can fill out a cuirass." Jarla said, pausing as she reached for the water jug and poured herself a glass.

"Esteban... ah. A gentleman, and a splendid soldier. You'll probably think me odd my lady but I am fond of fencing and we spent time discussing the art of the blade. I did find him a little stiff however, a little cloaked in dignity. I remember what you told me about his past love and I did think there was a sadness there that I couldn't quite break through."

"Abdul was and remains a mystery. He certainly lacks Giovanni's animal appeal or Esteban's elegance but he is a clever and kind man with so many wonderful stories and I think I liked him a great deal. I never got a spark of lighting from him though... oh he was very pleasant to me but I don't think he saw me and thought of the bedchamber. I think he may just not care for women, which is a great pity."

Jarla looked a little wistful for a moment before continuing.

"Steffan I had met in passing before. A born flatterer that one, and as you say perhaps a little too clever for me but he had his charms."

"There was also a young man from Putbad I danced with, a merchant who had accompanied Countess Leona down here named Uto. A very handsome man with a rakish beard - I never could resist a man with one - and a good dancer. Of course he is only a merchant and I know nothing about Putbad."

"Finally there was that Sieghard. Not the best dancer and you told me dreadfully common, but he was interested in me, and more subtle than Giovanni."

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Jarla, 10th Ulriczeit

"A merchant?" said Irene. "I thought you were looking for someone with a title, Jarla. Not someone in trade." She shook her head. "Besides, there's nothing interesting in Putbad."

She handed her plate to her maid, got up and walked over to the window. "Most of them will be leaving soon," she said, looking out over the city. "After they've had the chance to bother Muzio over whatever their latest problem is, they'll be going back to their lands. If you're really serious about this you might want to... how do you say it? Strike while the iron is hot."

Looking back, she arched an eyebrow at Jarla. "Are you? Really serious, I mean. Now that you've seen what's on offer."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #233

BlackDragon

Jarla, 10th Ulriczeit

Jarla's blue-grey eyes widened in surprise. This was very much at odds with how she'd expected Irene to react. While Jarla knew full well her mistress probably had favourites, she'd rather assumed the princess would get a kick out of playing matchmaker.

After a second she found her voice. "I am serious your highness. I want a title, and I want to be somebody people admire and people envy. More like you my lady." She rose from her chair, a sudden look of determination on her face. "With your permission my lady I am going to go and speak straight words with Abdul. I want to know if there is anything there at all, or if I should look somewhere else."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Since LCP has jumped to the next morning with Jarla, I guess he's leaving it up to us to roleplay the fade-to-black thing.

When Sieghard entered the private room at the Serpent, he found Elsa already seated there, next to a slender girl with long raven hair and light-brown skin. Both were still dressed. The pyromancer was fidgety, by stark contrast with the calm and professional-looking stranger.

"Ah, there you are." Elsa grinned at Sieghard. "This is Roxana. Roxana, this is Sieghard."

She raised her bottle. "I brought us some wine. No cups, so we drink from the bottle. Roxie and I already got started." That was an understatement; the bottle was now almost empty. And from the look of her, Elsa had done most of the drinking. "You, uh, can have the rest if you want."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-22 at 09:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard looked from Elsa to Roxana and back.

"She's pretty," he said. Without another word, he approached Elsa, grabbed the bottle from her and finished the mouthful that was left, then grabbed her and kissed her.

The next day, the two of them stayed in bed in far later than was typical for either. It was approaching noon by the time Sieghard rose. Roxana had left them a few hours earlier and Elsa was still lying under the covers nursing a rather severe hangover.

"I'll probably stay in the city a few more days and finish my business here before heading back to Painford," he told her. "I don't have much hope that he'll listen, but I'm going to talk to the prince about the homeless folk still in tents... Probably tomorrow." He figured it would be better to give it another day after the ball before bringing it up. "It'll get for them bad if something isn't done by the first snowfall. If you could keep an eye on it for me, I'd be grateful."

"There's one other thing," he said as he tried to find wherever his hat had ended up. "I spoke to Jarla last night and she thinks Irene might be onto us. She said she'd try to throw her off if she could, but it still worries me. The trapdoor's pretty well hidden from the outside, but be careful when you leave... And just be careful around Irene in general."

Spoiler
    Show
    I was assuming the fade was after leaving the party, but this gives as good a reason as any to bring up IC something that otherwise was probably going to just be glossed over in summary.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2021-05-22 at 11:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa kissed Sieghard back, running her tongue over his teeth to greedily catch some of the wine's flavor still lingering there. Her skin was unnaturally hot, as it always was during times of passion. When she came up for air and reopened her eyes, her irises glowed like embers.

"I've, uh, never done this before," she admitted with a nervous smile. "Not this exact thing, that is. I'm... not sure where to begin."

Good thing there was someone in this room who knew what she was doing. Roxana slowly and wordlessly started to unbutton the front of Elsa's gown from behind her. Elsa's breath caught in her throat.

"Hmm. Yes. This does seem like a good place to begin."

Spoiler
    Show
    And now we've got our fade to black.

Elsa emerged from her bedsheets and absentmindedly stared at her fingernails, which she had trimmed before the ball in anticipation of what came after. She nodded in approval when Sieghard spoke of doing something about the homeless, but looked irritated when he mentioned Irene.

"So what happens if Irene knows?"

She looked up at Sieghard. "Why, pray tell, should we concern ourselves with what she knows about us?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-23 at 08:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard stopped suddenly, still only half dressed and turned towards Elsa. "Because she tried to have you killed," he said bitterly. "Because she did have Adelbert killed. And because she's not going to stop. Anything she knows is something she'll use to try to hurt us. Even if she's nothing more than a cruel woman with a face painted to look nice, her husband has power enough to do something. One slip up or misunderstanding and she'll start whispering in his ear."

He walked over to her and took her hand. "Elsa, we've worked so hard," he continued, his tone softening. "We've fought and we've bled and we've done so much and even so I'd give it all up if I had to. You're the love of my life, the only woman in this world mad enough to challenge an orc king or stand by my side in a burning building against an undying, blood drinking monster. If I had to leave everything behind for you, then I'd grab what I could carry and we'd be gone before nightfall."

"But I'm not going to pretend that it wouldn't be painful. Everything we've done and everything we've helped build... Losing it all would hurt. After all of our work, don't we deserve to enjoy what we have? We can't just sit by while she tries to take it all away."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2021-05-23 at 09:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa was a bit surprised at Sieghard's impassioned speech, and alarmed to be called the love of his life. She hoped he was not about to get down on one knee, as she was not the sort who gladly said yes to lifetime commitments.

"If Irene knows, she knows. She can't un-know it. But we can keep it quiet if you prefer." She began pawing around for her clothes. "I don't think her husband will be leaving her much freedom to make another attempt. If it becomes known that the Prince's own wife is having his men murdered behind his back, his position will be weakened. His commanders will demand that something be done. But don't worry, I'll be careful. We both know what Irene is capable of. And now we've got an ally keeping an eye on her."

She paused. "And maybe we shouldn't be discussing these things in this establishment."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Jarla, 10th Ulriczeit

"What? Abdul?" Now Irene raised both her eyebrows. "No. Stay here. I want to talk to you."

"You know I didn't marry Muzio for his money," she said, returning from the window, "or a title. My uncle was Prince of Tobaro. Muzio's family were practically exiles." She sat down. "I married him because… because I could see where he was going. And because he understood what I wanted."

"If this is really what you want, then I'll help you. I'll tell… whoever it is to host you as a guest, as my personal wish. But you know Muzio can create a title for you here at court, if that's what you want." She looked genuinely concerned. "I don't want you throwing yourself away on another old man."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #240

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla looked at Irene, her grey-blue eyes widening. Just when she thought she understand this woman the principessa flummoxed her head and her heart.

"My lady... Thank you, yes," she could feel the first flicks of tears at the edges of her eyes, and took advantage of a curtsy to look away for the moment. "Thank you. I think, perhaps I can wait to marry then."

She tred to rein in her emotions and blink back those tears. "In that case perhaps I should go and look for a maid of my own," Jarla managed a smile. "It would not do for a noblewoman to do without."