New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: In the Clutches of Chaos

"Thank you for the offer I think that will work, since i will take up most of the load of your auroch, that will definitely speed us up. I have been well, when the call went out for help I knew I must go, and the Elder sent me with his blessing. How has your adventuring continued, no more Orc trouble I would suppose?"

"Mark what size creatures will this tattoo manifest?"

"Also if anyone would like to have an everburning flame on an item let me know what you would like it on and I will work on them as we travel and while we camp"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Zitreth
    Half-Dragon Sorceress
    AC: 18 HP: 68/68
    PP: 12 PIv: 10 PIs: 12
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

"I would love both the familiar and the magical light source, thank you. A cold resistant flying animal....? I'm not having any examples come to mind." Zitreth replies, pondering the idea.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Distrustful, Thradis responds, "While I am thankful for the offer, I prefer to function alone. I fear a familiar would only serve as a diversion if I need to stealthily scout ahead or get the drop on any potential threats."
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2021-05-10 at 11:32 PM.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calita
    Fairy Wizard 8 AC: 16 HP: 58/58
    Spell Slots, 1st: 3 / 4 | 2nd: 3 / 3 | 3rd: 3 / 3 | 4th: 2 / 2
    PP: 12 PInv: 18 PIns: 9 Conditions: none

Calita replies to Zitreth's questions first.

"My owl works well in the cold. You could try that."

A large, white, Snowy Owl appears next to her. It's almost as tall as her and when it opens it's wings, it has a 4' wingspan, dwarfing the small fairy. She then hands a dagger over to Hardmender.

"This dagger would be great. Thank you."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

"Indeed a snow owl will be likely very useful in this climate. But any bird used to high mountains will do - eagle or raven. And don't worry about them coming underfoot: You can store and retreive them from extra dimensional storage at will. I actually suggest you do so until you need to send for help. Because once we are near our destination I won't have free essence to spare for additional summonings. So be careful with them - until further notice that's the only one you get. The spell can only produce a tiny specimen - so no giant eagles. The largest I could go would be a small flying monkey. Though they are unsuited for this climate.

Speaking of which: Are you all preprared for the cold? I use a simple minor spell to keep my armor at comfortable temperatures. I could maintain two more of these effects concurrently if anyone is in need.
    Otherwise we probably should exchange information about our respective abilities.
    I am an engineer and marksman, specializing in defense and harassment tactics, so I'm both capable of holding the line and deliver fire support. What use are you others?"

MARK's voice was devoid of emotion and very matter of fact - no doubt or warmth whatsoever.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calita

Calita dismisses her owl, leaving nothing where the bird had been.

"Yes. It's as easy as that. Just let it go home for a bit until you need it again. I can keep another three of us warm too. Every hour, I can cast a spell to keep your clothes warm. It's probably the same as Mark's here. Just let one of us know if you start to get cold."

Her voice is almost all warmth and emotion.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Regarding MARK, "Alright, but I would prefer something small and hard to detect. Perhaps an arctic finch or something similar. It just needs to be small, fast, and able to avoid capture."

Already acclimated to the cold mountain region, Thradis collects a few of his fur garments, and dons a cloak made of them to deal with any wind he may encounter.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Anders smiles and nods at the sense of his companions' warnings about the cold. He pulls his green-orange tartan wool cloak a bit tighter around his shoulders and adjusts the hood.

"I'll be fine with the cold. I'm even wearin' boots for the journey," he says cheerfully, gesturing to his leather boots and wool foot wraps.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

When the group made camp, MARK first infused a small sowing needle with a steady trickle of magic. When he was satisfied with the charge, he turned to Anders:
    "The needle is charged. Do not worry about pain - this is completely safe... for me", before pricking his hand with the needle.
    Immediately, it desolved and spread as an intricate web of ink across his forearm.

"You should now have the knowledge to perform the ritual. I have prepared the necessary incense. Proceed."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: setting up camp.
    Show
    I want to know what everyone is doing when they set up camp. How are you taking care of the animals. What precautions are you taking? Do you wake up every hour to warm your self or do you have a fire? The current temperature at night has dropped from 32 degrees to negative32 so everyone need to make a DC 10 caon save or have one level of exhaustion.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2021-05-13 at 10:45 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calita

Every night, as we set up camp, Calita makes a small dome of invisible walls for the party to sleep in. Inside, the temperature is perfectly comfortable and dry. From the outside, no one can see in, but from the inside, we can see out and keep an eye on the beasts. Everyone but her can move in and out as much as they want.

Every night, she unfolds her small cot, places her feather mattress on top, and sleeps under her silk blankets with her head on a silk pillow. Everyone can hear soft, pleasing music as she drifts to sleep.

"I suggest we set up a watch. Even though we're safe in here, we should keep an eye on the Aurochs."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casts Leomunds Tiny Hut every night

someone with better animal handling skills should be in charge of the Aurochs.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

For camp, MARK did as instructed and took first care of Erik formerly known as Emergency Ration #5. When he was sure that the beast could run off, but hat enough lichen available in addition to the fodder from the sack, he looked at his fellow adventurers:[COLOR="#B22222"] "I don't require sleep, so I and my familiar can keep watch."

Spoiler
    Show

Since Vozen hasn't yet posted I assume her character isn't with us.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-05-13 at 11:04 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Anders takes a bit longer than MARK might expect to finish his ritual. He seems a little unsure of exactly how he's supposed to do it. First he concentrates really hard, holding his breath and squeezing his eyes shut like he's constipated, and after a few minutes, completely red in the face, somewhat light-headed, and having made no animals appear, he frowns and sits down in the snow, tracing some circles on the ground with his finger, hard in thought.

He gives it another go, this time holding his hands out in front of himself and occasionally waving them in nonsensical patterns in an attempt to imitate spellcasters he's seen before.

And when that doesn't work, he finally goes to Calita and asks her somewhat sheepishly, "Um, uh, I can't figure out how to make a beaver... Can you help me out a bit?"

---

After that interaction is finished, Anders has his little beaver-buddy (which he announces is named Harry Pondslapper, or Pondie for short) assist him in gathering any forageable materials he can, for both fire-fuel and food, and unloads all temperature-sensitive materials from his cart into Calita's climate-controlled bubble. Then he sets out a pot to simmer for some arctic veggie stew, tosses in a handful of herbs and spices, and settles down the aurochs for the night.

Spoiler: Rolls in case needed
    Show
    I figure I'll put some rolls that I would imagine might be important here, and if you'll allow my new familiar to offer me advantage with certain things, I'll go ahead and factor that in.

Nature (to know what plants and things are edible) (1d20+2)[21] (if advantage from beaver (1d20+2)[3])

Survival (to forage properly and gather enough for everyone) (1d20+3)[12] (if advantage from beaver (1d20+3)[17])

Cooking Utensils check (to cook, not sure what ability score you'd like me to add to this, so I'll just go straight d20) (1d20)[1]

Animal Handling (to settle in the aurochs) (1d20+3)[8] (if advantage somehow from the beaver (1d20+3)[20])
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Thradis tends to the fire, letting others tend to the Aurochs. Dealing with animals was not his thing. He knows how important warmth is in the mountains, however, even with the resistance to the cold his kind have innately.

He makes sure that there is sufficient tinder to keep it burning, while also ensuring it does not get out of control.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Not sure if I can take 10 on a survival check, but it is simply to set up the campfire correctly. The result would be 13, otherwise (1d20+3)[23].

Goliaths have resistance to cold, so not sure if you want to treat that as any sort of bonus or advantage on the roll or not, but for a single Con save, (1d20+6)[12]

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Hardmender secures his and Calita's Aurochs, helps cook food for everyone, and casts Continual flame at 4th level on his amulet and Calita's dagger.

"I can take first watch so the rest of you can rest tonight. I will cast continual flame on something for everyone over the next few nights, just let me know what you would like it cast on"

"I think I would like a tattoo to summon an ermine?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

"That kind of familiar can be arranged. We can prepare the ritual before your watch starts." Mark replied. Having the luxury of an impenetrable resting place that also was temperature controlled made him comfortable to give up two of his enhancements for tattoos.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

The night is uneventful and the group moves on. Just after mid day, the group comes upon a frozen corpse. It's a dwarven warrior in splint armor and a battle axe.
    Spoiler: investigation
    Show
    dc 15

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Investigation
    (1d20+7)[11]

MARK took a moment to study the corpse, but didn't show much interest in the dead dwarf.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-05-18 at 02:37 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calita

In the morning, Calita wakes up feeling refreshed. She puts away her cot, feather bed, and silk blankets and pillows, placing them back into the saddlebags of her Auroch. She is grateful to the others who took care of the Aurochs and kept watch overnight. She makes tea for everyone in the morning, not needing a fire or tea bags. It is very good.

When they get to the dwarf, she flies down off of her shared mount and examines the body.

"I wonder what he was doing here. Or how long ago he died."

Show
    Investigation (1d20+8)[14]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"Would you like to ask him? There are ways of making the dead talk." Looking to his small friend.

The fluffy white collar around Hardmenders neck moves a bit and then its head looks in Calita's direction also.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calita

Calita is surprised and intrigued by Hardmender's suggestion.

"I don't know any magic that does that, Grimael. If you can do it, I'd love to see it. That would be amazing. What should we ask him?" directing the last question to everyone.

Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"I can if we would like, we can ask 5 questions and 5 questions only, so if anyone has some good questions for him let me know."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

"Who are you, what killed you, what were you doing here what do you know about what's happening at the mines, what awaits us down the path to the mines?"
    MARK supplied almost automatically. "At least that would be my suggestion."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Hardmender walks over to the dwarf starts the incantation and the holy symbol on his shield starts to glow blue casting speak with dead. A blue infinity symbol with wings appears on the dwarfs forehead, and he is surrounded by a blue ura as he slowly sits up.

In dwarvish "Hello there friend, what is your name? I am Hardmender"

After he answers, "What cruel fate has befallen you?"
    Last edited by Grimaximus; 2021-05-19 at 04:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

I am Stone Edgecliff. I was killed going to save the city. We were attacked by cold breathing wolves.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Thradis puts his hand to the hilt of his scimitar, "Great . . . Winter wolves. It will be hard to avoid them, given their tracking abilities. Hopefully you all have some method to prevent rapid freezing. I don't want to have to amputate any frostbitten appendages."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Zitreth
    Half-Dragon Sorceress
    AC: 18 HP: 68/68
    PP: 12 PIv: 10 PIs: 12
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

After receiving the magical tattoo, Zitreth had been silent for a long while. As she was concentrating on forging a connection to something more in her nature than a simple bird or the like. While the advise to try for something adapted to the cold was a logical one, she wished for a familiar that was a better reflection of who she was.

It wasn't until after the others had finished talking to the dead dwarf that she succeeded and a Pseudodragon appeared in her hands. It had deep shining red scales. Zitreth looked at it for a moment before smiling and saying to it, "I believe I will call you Garnet." At which Garnet gave a little rasping purr indicating it approved and then hopped onto her shoulder and curled around her neck for warmth.

Having half paid attention to what was going on with the others, she responded off-handedly to Thradis' question, "My mother is a silver dragon and I grew up in her ice palace, I've little worry of getting frostbite."

Spoiler
    Show

gryff said I could have a Pseudodragon!
    (It took him a while to respond to my question about it, which was why I was silent this whole time. Sorry about that.)

Just to check, I did get a thing with Continual Flame cast on it right?

Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-05-20 at 01:10 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Continuing in dwarvish, "Do you know what is happening in the mines? and do you know of any other foes other than the winter wolves?"

"Nice little dragon you got there Zitreth. Any other important questions we have to ask, we have one more?"

Spoiler
    Show
    after we woke up i would have been able to cast on 2 more peoples items, lets say i did thareous and zitreths items

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

"Time to rearm then. I'll need a minute to readjust my loadout. Continue with your necromancy. If you don't know what to ask else, ask about treasure. More funds never hurt in my experience."
    MARK interjected.
    Since he had provided three familiars last night, and one this morning, only two of his three infusions were dedicated to his usual loadout - and none to improve his armor at that. Instead MARK began to tinker with a little screwdriver along the base of his hand.
    "There, ready for elemental protection - for a short time at least."

Spoiler
    Show

I'm taking a minute to change a spell level: Exchanging Longstrider for Absorb Element

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grimaximus View Post
    Continuing in dwarvish, "Do you know what is happening in the mines? and do you know of any other foes other than the winter
    I was killed on the way to the city. I don't know about the mines or any other foes.