New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Moar Chicken needed

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    There are entire species of fruits that you can't buy at a supermarket because they don't ship well, or don't work well with commercial picking... like paw-paws, which have a shelf life of about 3 days but are supposedly like a banana custard. I'm still trying to find someone who has some so I can try before I plant.
    Do you mean Papaya? I'm seeing those in supermarkets here all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaya
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Paw Paw is an entirely different fruit. Quite different from a papaya.

Same with Chokecherries. Quite tasty, but not generally going to see them in the supermarket, and substantially different than the cherries you normally do see.

Probably the oddest thing I have growing this year is a Stevia plant. You'll see the processed Stevia available in a supermarket pretty routinely, but you won't generally see the greens unprocessed. I have no idea if it'll work out good/interestingly as salad greens, but I'll give it a try.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yes, paw-paw is Asimina triloba. Very short shelf-life, and potentially slightly neurotoxic, if Wikipedia is to be believed.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

There are entire species of fruits that you can't buy at a supermarket because they don't ship well, or don't work well with commercial picking... like paw-paws, which have a shelf life of about 3 days but are supposedly like a banana custard. I'm still trying to find someone who has some so I can try before I plant.
    Clearly you need Amazon Prime delivery on them. :D

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Paw Paw is an entirely different fruit. Quite different from a papaya.

Same with Chokecherries. Quite tasty, but not generally going to see them in the supermarket, and substantially different than the cherries you normally do see.
    I have dewberries growing wild all over the place (including areas where I want grass for cows). Really though, I can't tell much difference between them and blackberries. They are really good at 7:15am when you haven't eaten breakfast and are having to move a bunch of portable electric fencing around.

[/quote]Probably the oddest thing I have growing this year is a Stevia plant. You'll see the processed Stevia available in a supermarket pretty routinely, but you won't generally see the greens unprocessed. I have no idea if it'll work out good/interestingly as salad greens, but I'll give it a try.[/QUOTE]
    I think my wife had one of these growing inside last year. Our 4 year old kept snacking on the leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Yes, paw-paw is Asimina triloba. Very short shelf-life, and potentially slightly neurotoxic, if Wikipedia is to be believed.
    "Where oh where is sweet little Nellie?
    Where oh where is sweet little Nellie?
    Way down 'yonder in the paw-paw patch!"

There are quite a few regional fruits and vegetables that have fallen by the wayside in favor of commercially viable breeds.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I think my wife had one of these growing inside last year. Our 4 year old kept snacking on the leaves.
    Yeah, the squirrels have been munching on this one a bit. They hit the garden pretty hard in general, though, so not sure if they're singling it out, or if it's just easily accessible.