New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Skillmonkey help

So, the Skillmonkey of the characters I've made. Idea started as Lore Bard 19/Rogue 1 with the Sage background, which got me 11 skills and 7 Expertise. I've thought it over and current plan is Lore Bard 16/ Scout Rogue 4, which gets me 13 skills with proficiency and 9 of them with Expertise. I could get 2 more Expertise, but with me wanting full ASI/Feat slots I'd lose 8th and 7th level spells.

Edit: Also should I use my last ASI to get 18 Intelligence or 18 Wisdom?
    Last edited by ChaosStar; 2021-05-02 at 02:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Skillmonkey help

You could start as variant human or custom lineage, and take the skilled feat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ertwin View Post
    You could start as variant human or custom lineage, and take the skilled feat.
    Already taking Skilled. Race is Kalashtar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If you're going all the way to 20, why not go for Scout Rogue 12/ Lore Bard 8? Getting reliable talent is an amazing boon if you're going to have so many proficiencies. Peerless skill is nice, but having a much higher floor gives you more reliable skills.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you're pumping wisdom anyway... why not take a level of Knowledge Cleric for two more skills, two more expertise?

It'll cost you an ASI, but do you really need all them stats to be high when you can just cast bless and guidance instead?

EDIT:
    If you take it instead of that 4th rogue level, you won't even lose spell levels... in fact, you'd gain a 9th level slot.

No 9th level spell to go with it, but that's still pretty nice to have.
    Last edited by loki_ragnarock; 2021-05-05 at 04:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by XmonkTad View Post
    If you're going all the way to 20, why not go for Scout Rogue 12/ Lore Bard 8? Getting reliable talent is an amazing boon if you're going to have so many proficiencies. Peerless skill is nice, but having a much higher floor gives you more reliable skills.
    Because I'd only have 4th level spells then, plus losing the 10th level Magical Secrets. This is a caster, not someone going into melee. I don't care about Sneak Attack dice. Scout Rogue 4 is solely about getting 4 more Expertise.

Edit: In response to Loki. That would lose me an ASI/Feat slot. It'd get me back a 9th spell slot, but then I'd lose either 18 Int or 18 Wis. I'm already spending 3 slots on feats. Skilled, Skill Expert, and Keen Mind.
    Last edited by ChaosStar; 2021-05-05 at 04:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosStar View Post
    Already taking Skilled. Race is Kalashtar.
    You could still take VHuman and get skilled, opening another feat/asi.

Also VHuman allows you to get the Prodigy feat which gains you another proficiency and double proficiency. (+1 tool and language)

You can also take skill feats for the +1 to odd ability scores and another proficiency/double proficiency.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arnin77 View Post
    You could still take VHuman and get skilled, opening another feat/asi.

Also VHuman allows you to get the Prodigy feat which gains you another proficiency and double proficiency. (+1 tool and language)

You can also take skill feats for the +1 to odd ability scores and another proficiency/double proficiency.
    I said no. You can't be VHuman if you aren't Human. Race is Kalashtar, and is not negotiable. Being Kalashtar is part of the character concept.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosStar View Post
    I said no. You can't be VHuman if you aren't Human. Race is Kalashtar, and is not negotiable. Being Kalashtar is part of the character concept.
    Yikes

We’re just trying to help you, Pal. Not much info to go on, like ability score totals/preferred skills or play style.

How are you even getting 18 Int/wis anyways on a multiclass that needs a minimum 13 charisma and 13 Dex. Not that you posted your stats or anything.

Aren’t you maxing charisma?? You can’t get those scores with point buy unless you want low charisma, con and ineffective spell save DC on a full caster that wants to play as a caster.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arnin77 View Post
    Yikes

We’re just trying to help you, Pal. Not much info to go on, like ability score totals/preferred skills or play style.

How are you even getting 18 Int/wis anyways on a multiclass that needs a minimum 13 charisma and 13 Dex. Not that you posted your stats or anything.

Aren’t you maxing charisma?? You can’t get those scores with point buy unless you want low charisma, con and ineffective spell save DC on a full caster that wants to play as a caster.
    Sorry. I just don't like 'advice' that amounts to 'your idea for race isn't optimal change it'. When I say my character's race is something, that will not change as it's part of the concept. I rolled for stats. Stats are 14/16/14/14/16/18. Method as mentioned on another thread is 4d6, reroll 1s, drop lowest. Yes, I am maxing Charisma. I'm also getting +2 to Int through Skill Expert and Keen Mind. So the last slot will be to bump either Int or Wis to 18.