New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Just starting Divinity: Original Sin 2. Any advice?

D:OS2 inventory is honestly one of the worst I've ever seen, which is saying a lot, because RPG inventories are sort of terrible at the baseline. There's just so many things about it that are annoying and difficult for no good reason - on top of having to juggle your gear every few levels, so you interact with it constantly.
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-05-08 at 03:59 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It's also absolutely hilarious to me that the free giftbag/mod the developers gave out to make inventory management better somehow manages to be EVEN worse than the base game.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    It's also absolutely hilarious to me that the free giftbag/mod the developers gave out to make inventory management better somehow manages to be EVEN worse than the base game.
    Yep. I added it, instantly regretted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Spamalot in the Playground

My best advice is to make use of containers - bags within your bags essentially. Once you have a designated bag for, say, the special arrows you find, or potions/scrolls, any future such items you come across will automatically get thrown in there. You can then put those bags on your action bar to access all the items of that category and save UI space.

This doesn't solve the game's inventory problems entirely but it can help make your life easier.

You can also sort items by weight, which is really handy for telling what is making your main character encumbered (e.g. I picked up a barrel back there without meaning to again.) You can transfer the heavy stuff like spare gear and incomplete sets to your tank character - Red Prince in my case.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-05-11 at 12:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Yep. I added it, instantly regretted it.
    I'm morbidly curious about how the mod makes it worse.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I'm morbidly curious about how the mod makes it worse.
    Adds like 20 labeled bags to every character's inventory, you have to manually put items in/out the bags. Like the solution to fixing your clutter problem at home is getting 50 baskets in different colors.

Here's an image that shows it: https://static.wixstatic.com/media/0...954b3~mv2.webp

Also, it's worth noting that items in the bags are not considered in your inventory, for things like crafting or runes.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-05-11 at 04:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Also, it's worth noting that items in the bags are not considered in your inventory, for things like crafting or runes.
    Oof! That's amazingly bad. Glad I never got that one...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It also does things like divide weapons into blunt and bladed, which aren't meaningful categories in game, instead of 1-h or 2-h. Or group gems, high value useless vendor items, and jewelry, wearble magic items, together.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

This looks like the devs were aware people had issues with inventory but somewhat fuzzy on what the actual problem was. I'm generally used to being elbow-deep in trash in RPGs; D:OS 2 makes it worse specifically because keeping your gear up to date is so crucial to winning. If you don't do it you'll just get crushed. Likewise with using all the crafting components, consumables and whatnot.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

I think the inventory wouldn't have been so bad if you weren't forced to interact with it so much. You basically have to change out your entire gear set every level in order to be effective. Especially at higher difficulties. This is compounded by the fact that gear isn't really unique either...it's just the same crap with bigger numbers, so changing gear isn't even interesting, it's just a slog. The inventory system itself could have been fine if they just gave you like 80% less random crap to clutter up your inventory, and had you change gear less often.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

The real tragedy is that they have all the tools to make the gear management work and just didn't. There's no reason that I shouldn't be able to select multiple items to move at a time for instance. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to set priorities on who picks up what with the backpack system. There's no reason for me to not be able to label my bags so that I know where to look for my stuff...

It's the laziest, most bare bones inventory system. Except it has the tools needed to actually have worked. They just didn't do it.