New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MCU Phase 4 Trailer

So not CGI for sure. Not cut footage probably.

Absent figure gone on a quest? King in hiding? Died off-screen between movies?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post

Died off-screen, almost certainly, as rough as such a thing is to pull off. When everyone knows his actor is gone, it'd certainly feel more disrespectful to have the character just MIA never to return in the story than to make his death official and give him some sort of real send-off and show the other characters mourning his passing.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #123
    Colossus in the Playground

They're definitely doing the died off-screen route, and if they have any respect they'll, like I said earlier in this thread, have it be a case where he suffered injuries during the fighting against Thanos, or maybe even Killmonger, that made him basically a dead man walking, but it hid it from everyone because he decided he was going to power through this as best he can.

Honour the man and his struggle to deliver some of the best onscreen performances I've seen while suffering so acutely.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

If Tony Stark who never plans for anything, let alone his own demise ... if he can plan to leave a memento to a 16 year old kid (or however old Peter Parker is) with eyeglasses that connect to supercomputers and death drones.

Then we can easily see T'Challa who thinks about people far more often, leave a handwritten or computer printed note of what to do next due to his unexpected death.

Likewise T'Challa and Shuri were both snapped between Infinity War and Endgame. Thus the whole country of Wakanda did not have any royal family members for 5 years. Thus the country had to find a new government arrangement, or have one of the different tribes step into blank space of leading during those 5 years.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Likewise T'Challa and Shuri were both snapped between Infinity War and Endgame. Thus the whole country of Wakanda did not have any royal family members for 5 years.
    Nitpick: this is not necessarily true, we don’t know if their mom survived or not.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

I could see T’Challa knowing the consequences of Black Panther movie only gave him limited time left. So he actually prepared a responsible End of Life plan.

That plan got unexpectedly called upon during the Blip. When everything else settled down, T’Challa saw the actual outcome of his end of life plan, and made some final adjustments before retiring as King.

Probably finding some magical science way to empower the Black Panther power that's left in him to somebody else, or in something else. Is there any cool McGuffin from the Black Panther comics that would justify the last spark of Black Panther being stored in it?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably finding some magical science way to empower the Black Panther power that's left in him to somebody else, or in something else. Is there any cool McGuffin from the Black Panther comics that would justify the last spark of Black Panther being stored in it?
    Can’t speak to the comics, but the simplest way would be just to say a few samples of the Heart-shaped Herb survived - they had some seeds stored away or something.

A more fun way might be to say it didn’t, and whoever ends up trying to restore the mantle gets a vision from Bast and has to go on a quest to rediscover it.

They could just gloss over it too, but it could be interesting to throw a few challenges at the hero(es) that would have been trivial to overcome with super powers but have to be dealt with through skill or cleverness instead. And incidentally prove to everyone else they’re worthy of the mantle, or cull the people who aren’t.

8. - Top - End - #128

In real life, burning a path of herbs like that would put them in "restore" mode where whatever's left starts rproducin seeds and pollen and stuff like craz.

It's been several years, in-universe, since the herbs were destroyed. If even a trace o it remained then it would have grown back by now.

In the comics, Killmonger was eventually able to make a synthetic version of the herb that granted all of the same powers... But didn't trigger a deathly allergic reaction in the vast majority of humans and could empower people who were already enhanced or mutated*. It's entirely possible that a synthetic herb could be made with, say, blood samples from T'challa, studying how the herb affected him t see if they could replicate its effects.

*In the comics, Killmonger had enhanced himself to superhuman levels via repeated use of alien technology. These enhancements allowed him too overpowered T'Challa and claim the title of black panther... But he's not biologically compatible with the herb. He didn't die because of his enhancements, but when he woke up from his coma he had no powers. He made the synthetic herb to compensate.

While it's not explicitly stated, this is also presumably why the herb had no effect on Peter Parker when T'challa gave PEter the herb as a last-ditch effort to save Peter's life when Peter was dying of an unidentifiable disease that was causing his cells to break down and was calling in every benny he had to find a way to cure himself.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Likewise T'Challa and Shuri were both snapped between Infinity War and Endgame. Thus the whole country of Wakanda did not have any royal family members for 5 years. Thus the country had to find a new government arrangement, or have one of the different tribes step into blank space of leading during those 5 years.
    Maybe they realized that trial by combat is not an effective way to choose a leader so they drafted a new constitution and now utilize a parliamentary system of government.

10. - Top - End - #130

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-05-10 at 07:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-05-10 at 07:26 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga
    A more fun way might be to say it didn’t, and whoever ends up trying to restore the mantle gets a vision from Bast and has to go on a quest to rediscover it.
    I’ve been thinking exactly this, either for BP II or the Wakanda series. The herb is native to Wakanda, so there must be a wild population somewhere out there.

Originally Posted by Rater202
    In real life, burning a path of herbs like that would put them in "restore" mode where whatever's left starts rproducin seeds and pollen and stuff like craz.
    Not necessarily. Not all plants are fire-adapted, so many species would simply burn to ash and be gone.

And there’s no reason to believe that the heart-shaped herb is fire-adapted, especially since the priestess was aghast when Killmonger ordered the temple herbs to be burned.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Nitpick: this is not necessarily true, we don’t know if their mom survived or not.
    Thought about bringing this up but decided not to with the original post you quoted. Too much detail

Ramonda is queen mother and former queen by marriage in the MCU. We do not know the Wakanda traditions and what this means in their culture. In many European royalty situations those titles mean she is important but since she does not have royal blood she does not gain the right to rule, but who knows with Wakanda in the MCU. In the comics Ramonda was born in South Africa.

Ramonda supposed did not get blipped so she would be present while Wakanda decided how the government worked during the snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    Maybe they realized that trial by combat is not an effective way to choose a leader so they drafted a new constitution and now utilize a parliamentary system of government.
    Good way to do a movie though.

Then again we can have cat goddess Bast be the lady of the lake and throw a sword at one of the lady Wakkandans.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-05-10 at 01:53 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not CGI of him as an actor. But maybe option (d): died on-screen at the very start of the movie, or during a flashback. His suit is all CGI anyways, and a lot of the scenes were already done by a body double or just entirely CGI.

Edit: Traditionally the king of Wakanda and the Black Panther are separate titles, so maybe we will have a monarch who is not the new Black Panther. Maybe something like Shuri and Mbaku disputing the title in a duel and both being declared winners.
    Last edited by Clertar; 2021-05-10 at 03:30 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Not CGI of him as an actor. But maybe option (d): died on-screen at the very start of the movie, or during a flashback. His suit is all CGI anyways, and a lot of the scenes were already done by a body double or just entirely CGI.

Edit: Traditionally the king of Wakanda and the Black Panther are separate titles, so maybe we will have a monarch who is not the new Black Panther. Maybe something like Shuri and Mbaku disputing the title in a duel and both being declared winners.
    Let's just tablet anything said about the history of black panther during Civil War, mkay? Because basically that entire part of the lore was disregarded by the actual Black Panther movie.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Spamalot in the Playground

I don't see any big contradiction there. The way it appears to work is that king and BP are indeed separate titles, but young kings typically assume both - this fits both CW and BP's events.

At some point before the events of CW, T'Chaka (whether due to his age or some other reason) appointed his son as BP in order to serve as his bodyguard for the summit. When T'Chaka died untimely, it sparked a succession ceremony, and T'Challa's powers had to be removed to make the contest fair. Upon winning, he re-appointed himself BP (or was automatically declared such) as he was young enough to serve in both capacities. Then when Killmonger attained power, he did the same. Presumably, had T'Challa grown old in the office, he would have appointed someone younger (likely his heir apparent) to be Black Panther - prior to that individual assuming the throne.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

That seems unlikely, being a backwards and oddly regressive isolationist monarchy despite other advances so that the nation and it's internal systems become something to do battle against as much as enemy super villains are is to much a core theme of Black Panthers stuff for something that big to happen off screen.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Spamalot in the Playground

I don't expect them to do away with the monarchy entirely. Wakanda having a King (or Queen) is iconic and sets them apart from other nations. The fact that it dovetails so well with AAVE terminology (which they can expect to resonate with a majority of their audience) is a nice bonus.

Some reforms in the wake of Killmonger's coup would make sense though. The Trial by Combat, while barbaric to our sensibilities, makes a bit of sense if the king is also expected during their prime years to be the nation's chief protector as well. It should not however be the sole deciding factor for such an important position, so I would want some changes there. Ideally, "this guy's ideas are awful and will certainly lead us to war" should disqualify an aspirant long before "he beat up the other guy so we have to do what he says."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly the Killmonger incident and the 5 year Blip would be two incidents that cause a reform in Wakanda. Now there are dozens of ways it could go but the most likely outcome (this is opinion) is since there is already an existing "representative body" with the Tribal Council, 5 representatives, the Queen Mother, and the King we would see more powers going to this Tribal Council in general including possibly an enlarged membership and them being able to require any King / Queen candidates to go through them.

In sum I expect some shared form of parliament and tribal monarchy like many kingdoms have had in the past. Parliament Supremacy* is only one option of many of how to do a Parliament. [ another name for this is Parliamentary Sovereignty, Parliament is the ultimate Sovereign who decides even over a monarch, executive, or judicial. ]

20. - Top - End - #140

GnomePirate

Perhaps they will choose a member of the family who, as a young boy, was pushed out of a tower and broke his back. He then disappeared into cold, mysterious northern Wakanda for a few years. When he returned he could see into the future. I think the MCU is ready for a character in a wheel chair.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Perhaps they will choose a member of the family who, as a young boy, was pushed out of a tower and broke his back. He then disappeared into cold, mysterious northern Wakanda for a few years. When he returned he could see into the future. I think the MCU is ready for a character in a wheel chair.
    I don't see anyone having a better story than that.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

And his name was..

Charles Xavier!! Who actually is Wakandan in the MCU!!

23. - Top - End - #143

And his name was..

Charles Xavier!! Who actually is Wakandan in the MCU!!
    ...I don't know if that would be more or less stupid than tying everything to the Infinity Stones.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Firbolg in the Playground

Weren't they going to do something with the comedy side of Marvel on Disney+? It seems like Ms. Marvel may show up in the Marvels but that leaves, for brevity, anyone who has ever been attached to the GLA.

Or would that be too much of a mess considering how much Squirrel Girl in particular loves to bring in characters that haven't been MCU'd yet, like Kraven.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...I don't know if that would be more or less stupid than tying everything to the Infinity Stones.
    If you are not aware of how many movies you are going to make and how much money it is going to make I can make the argument for the infinity stones, with the particular style they did.

Of course By 2013 (Dark World) and Age of Ultron (2015) they had a plan but by Guardians of the Galaxy 1 (2014) they needed to realize this MCU thing has legs if you can make GotG make 3/4ths of a Billion dollar world wide and Guardians is an "unknown brand" then you likely are going to have to expand your ideas of what is possible and what we got Infinity Stones wise was too "constrictive" of a plot device.

*shrug*

But this was going to happen when it takes 2 to 3 years to make a MCU movie with the scrip, figuring out where to shoot, pre-production, production, post-production, etc. It is hard to sail a large money making tanker in a canal where you do not know where the land is on the left or right of you for you can't see what the audience will accept and get excited for.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Weren't they going to do something with the comedy side of Marvel on Disney+? It seems like Ms. Marvel may show up in the Marvels but that leaves, for brevity, anyone who has ever been attached to the GLA.

Or would that be too much of a mess considering how much Squirrel Girl in particular loves to bring in characters that haven't been MCU'd yet, like Kraven.
    On Hulu Plus we are getting MODOK a show that I sense will be similar to Robot Chicken. It was the only not canceled project left over since Keven Feige got control of the TV branch of Marvel.

I am assuming the She-Hulk thing is still happening and the plan is sometime in 2022 and it will be a "legal comedy" unless they decide to scrap how they were marketing it earlier on Disney Investor Day.

Loki is the next thing in the 12 announced Disney Plus shows and that will have comedic aspects.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-05-11 at 06:49 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Firbolg in the Playground

I
    I am assuming the She-Hulk thing is still happening and the plan is sometime in 2022 and it will be a "legal comedy" unless they decide to scrap how they were marketing it earlier on Disney Investor Day.
    One can only hope this goes plus ultra and we end up with a MCU version of Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Ramza00
    Honestly the Killmonger incident and the 5 year Blip would be two incidents that cause a reform in Wakanda.
    I’m not sure that would be the case. Remember that Wakanda is thousands of years old; they’ve probably had many other irregularities during their history, and yet this is the system they choose to retain.

On the other hand, we don't know that there isn't some sort of parliament that deals with day-to-day governance, while the king and his council deal with broader issues.

Originally Posted by Ramza00
    On Hulu Plus we are getting MODOK a show that I sense will be similar to Robot Chicken.
    From the trailer it looks like an MCU copycat version of the Harley Quinn series, in terms of tone and content.

Absolutely not what I like, which is a pity, because Patton Oswalt is fantastic.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Who says Wakandan Xavier won't also be tied to the Infinity Stones? ;)
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    Who says Wakandan Xavier won't also be tied to the Infinity Stones? ;)
    Well, if the stones helped create or strengthen them like Wanda, maybe?

After all, the stones give off gamma radiation, low doses. So, theory-wise that means being around it could randomly mutate you (like it did Wanda, Hulk, etc)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Well, if the stones helped create or strengthen them like Wanda, maybe?

After all, the stones give off gamma radiation, low doses. So, theory-wise that means being around it could randomly mutate you (like it did Wanda, Hulk, etc)
    Infinity Stones will be the catalyst that nukes were in early X-Men comics. Mutants are still mutants, but the mutations are triggered, at least initially, by the Infinity Stones being used.