New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default How would you describe this type of disappointment in an online chat room?

Here's the setting: That moment when you're almost done typing a message into an online chat, and someone else's message pops up that changes the context of your message such that it would need to be completely rewritten or just can't have the same connotation it would have if you'd hit Enter a few seconds earlier?

Is there a word or short phrase for that?

I'm not talking about someone stealing my thunder or anything like that. But, say, I was about to say something, and someone posts a question just similar enough in content that it would look like my statement is a poorly worded answer to their question, when i wanted it to stand alone and would have been fine had they not posted that question first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How would you describe this type of disappointment in an online chat room?

Ah yes, sounds like a classic case of Pre-Posting Third Party Recontexualization Disgruntlement.

(No, I don't think there's a word for that. I do know the feeling you talk about though, so maybe there should be).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: How would you describe this type of disappointment in an online chat room?

I'd suggest:

Invalidation: for when the context changes or renders your response, well invalid.

Scooped: for when someone posts what you want to say first.

Overtaken by events(or posts): for when the conversation moves past what you want to talk about.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Ah yes, sounds like a classic case of Pre-Posting Third Party Recontexualization Disgruntlement.
    Ex post redacto?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Given that it involves humiliation and embarrassment, there probably a German compound noun that fits the bill exactly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The Questionable Content webcomic forum has a feature that if somebody else has replied to the thread while you were typing your own response, when you hit "post" it will give you a warning that somebody else has posted so you can review their post to see if it affects your own. So not live chat, but gives the same effect.

Discord is also very good for supplying this feeling, particularly because you can see a "personX is typing" notification, so it almost becomes a game of chicken in both directions. "Do I wait to see their context, or do I try to post first to avoid needing to edit?"
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Given that it involves humiliation and embarrassment, there probably a German compound noun that fits the bill exactly.
    Oh, it's easy, you jus take all of these words:
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Pre-Posting Third Party Recontexualization Disgruntlement.
    translate each to German independently and stitch them together.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Preempt" is the most applicable verb I can think of.

If you want to clarify that your message isn't a response to the most recent message, you can direct it at someone else by sticking e.g. "Robin," or "@Robin:" or whatever at the beginning. If you don't intend to reply to any specific individual, you could address your message to "Everyone" instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Oh, it's easy, you jus take all of these words:

translate each to German independently and stitch them together.
    Uhhh,
    Rekontexualisierungdrittanbieternveröffentlichung?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Uhhh,
    Rekontexualisierungdrittanbieternveröffentlichung?
    Sounds about right.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    It is

Präveröffentlichungsrekontextualisierungsverärgeru ng

or

Vorabsendungsneueinordnungsfrust

if you want to keep it light and kolloquial.
    the above is of course nonsense, no one would say that
    But I actually think that English offers a more elegant expression:

post-block frustration
    Last edited by Iruka; 2021-05-13 at 05:50 PM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight