New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default USB drive keeps reconnecting evey so often on Windows 10.

I have a computer with a single USB port and a soldered-in-place, too-small main storage volume.

I plugged in a low-profile USB drive big enough to install some applications I needed, but every so often the drive "reconnects" as though I'd unplugged it for a fraction of a second. For some of the applications I installed on there, that's fine and causes no problems. But for some, it immediately, 100% reliably causes a crash even if no data was being transferred at the time.

I've looked around, and done every troubleshooting step that is relevant on this computer. I can't try a different port, since there's just the one USB A 3.x port. I've reinstalled drivers I've checked to make sure other related OS components are up-to-date.

The superstitious side of my brain says that maybe it's helped a little, made these faults less frequent, but it's still happening from time to time.

Any suggestions?

edit:
    On a related note: How does Microsoft phone technical support treat individual non-business customers using OEM Windows 10? If I call in, will it be worth my time?
    Last edited by gomipile; 2021-05-03 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: USB drive keeps reconnecting evey so often on Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    I have a computer with a single USB port and a soldered-in-place, too-small main storage volume.

I plugged in a low-profile USB drive big enough to install some applications I needed, but every so often the drive "reconnects" as though I'd unplugged it for a fraction of a second. For some of the applications I installed on there, that's fine and causes no problems. But for some, it immediately, 100% reliably causes a crash even if no data was being transferred at the time.

I've looked around, and done every troubleshooting step that is relevant on this computer. I can't try a different port, since there's just the one USB A 3.x port. I've reinstalled drivers I've checked to make sure other related OS components are up-to-date.

The superstitious side of my brain says that maybe it's helped a little, made these faults less frequent, but it's still happening from time to time.

Any suggestions?

edit:
    On a related note: How does Microsoft phone technical support treat individual non-business customers using OEM Windows 10? If I call in, will it be worth my time?
    I hope this isn't the case, but sometimes USB ports are a bit too "loose". I once bought a cheap hub that would do this so all the darn time, with almost no provocation -- I suspect vibrations were enough to set it off.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This happens to me as well. Very infrequently, maybe once every couple of weeks or couple of months. 4 USB external backup drives connected through a non-powered hub. No correlation to activity or time that I can figure out.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Don't have any suggestions for the USB issue, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft tech support will immediately know you're using an OEM version of Windows and will ask you to contact the OEM in question for support.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    I hope this isn't the case, but sometimes USB ports are a bit too "loose". I once bought a cheap hub that would do this so all the darn time, with almost no provocation -- I suspect vibrations were enough to set it off.
    I just tested out the same hardware combination with a Linux liveUSB for a few hours with no problems at all. So I think the hardware itself is working well.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Don't have any suggestions for the USB issue, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft tech support will immediately know you're using an OEM version of Windows and will ask you to contact the OEM in question for support.
    I have a feeling my OEM will be a worse than useless waste of time to talk to. But if I have to talk to them before getting Microsoft to listen, I suppose I'll have to.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just tested out the same hardware combination with a Linux liveUSB for a few hours with no problems at all. So I think the hardware itself is working well.
    While you're most likely right here (and that is waht I'd have suggested you try), it still MIGHT be a hardware issue - namely: Power. What PSU do you have in there, and what other hardware? Since a Linux Live USB won't really (for example) spin up HDDs unless you actively USE them, and not use accelerated graphics for the Desktop, the total power draw of the Live-Linux might be quite lower than under Windows. If your PSU is shot/undersized, that _could_ be the issue. Not likely, but worth checking out. Post the specs and/or get a power useage metering program - dunno what you'd use for Windows, under Linux there's powertop.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

You might want to check the "USB selective suspend" option in power settings. On balanced power settings it's enabled which if I understand it right means windows might decide to shut off the usb power if it think it's not needed.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2021-05-04 at 05:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    You might want to check the "USB selective suspend" option in power settings. On balanced power settings it's enabled which if I understand it right means windows might decide to shut off the usb power if it think it's not needed.
    Thank you. I had no idea this setting even existed. It was really buried in the nested Control Panel pages.

Flipped it off, and no problems so far. It's been about an hour, and the longest between interruptions before was about half an hour.

I very much appreciate your help.

Something I'm really confused by, is that this wasn't mentioned in the official Microsoft forum threads I found on this exact topic. Why Microsoft help representatives would suggest reinstalling drivers, swapping hardware, etc. before something like this, I cannot fathom.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Unfortunately the "support" is usually minimum wage Indians with little to no clue other than a list of FAQs.

Some things you have to experience yourself to realise exist.

If it wasn't for the fact my screen tells me about USB issues (it has a hub, not got anything hooked up but still) every time it has turned itself off I wouldn't have thought of it. Then I figured, well the screen, HDDs, LAN etc etc has a powersetting, the usb probably does as well. And then dug in.

And yes, boy is it buried deep. Frankly I was expecting you be asking how to find the setting and am not sure I could describe how even having done it myself!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I just checked and it's also enabled on High Performance, which is odd, because I've never experienced the OP's problem despite having this enabled. Mind you, it seems odd to me that an application using the USB drive would crash if the drive is temporarily removed when it's not being accessed at all!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Something I'm really confused by, is that this wasn't mentioned in the official Microsoft forum threads I found on this exact topic. Why Microsoft help representatives would suggest reinstalling drivers, swapping hardware, etc. before something like this, I cannot fathom.
    It's classic "turn-off and turn-on" with addition of "it's surely not our fault" approach : )
    "By Google's own reckoning, 60% of the ads that are charged for are never seen by any human being – literally the majority of the industry's product is a figment of feverish machine imaginations." Pluralistic

The bots are selling ads to bots which mostly bots are viewing, We really are living in XXI century.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thank you from me as well. I've turned this off (and yes it was buried deep under *2* nested "advanced settings" branches). The infrequency of my own issue means I probably won't even notice if this works or not, but it's definitely a setting I want to have control over.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.