New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Question Some sort of animated armor type creature?

https://village.photos/images/user/c...79130b4852.jpg

I'm looking towards some sort of animated and sentient suit of armor. It's basically a full NPC with equipment & magic items. Not sure what level/HD it is. Depends on what I can come up with I guess. I thought about a possessed iron golem but they are to big. Same with a flesh golem. I want it to be relatively in comparison in size to a normal NPC. Another thought is to just make it a magical helm that's an actual intelligent item with the suit of armor just animated and controlled by the helm. I'm looking for options if anyone has any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Some sort of animated armor type creature?

There was a creature in the Forgotten Realms that was an animated suit of armor. Helmed Horror or something like that. I think they were mindless, but Awaken Construct would solve that. Sadly I don't remember which book exactly described them. Probably Lost Empires of Faerūn.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Helmed Horror or something like that. I think they were mindless, but Awaken Construct would solve that... Probably Lost Empires of Faerūn.
    Yup. That's the name, and that's the book. Page 175.

4. - Top - End - #4

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dread Guard from MM2 might be a lower hd alternative to the Helmed Horror.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A party of animated objects? The helm, cloak, sword, breastplate with gauntlets, and legplates?

Maybe code name 'Voltron' or something...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

"The Dying of the Light" adventure have the literal Animated Suits of Armor
    They're pretty much just a "Medium Animated Objects armed with Greatswords" (Except with better AC - Full Plate -, and kinda too little hp. Damaged?)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    How about a Warforged with Alter Self to turn into an Animated Object. This way you could turn into a Combat Suit/Mount for another character. I have an Iron Chef build based on that if you should like the idea.
    So if a character wears another character who controls the movement if they disagree? Is it a grapple check every round?

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    So if a character wears another character who controls the movement if they disagree? Is it a grapple check every round?
    The rules of the game archive explains this scenario:

All about Mounts part 5:
    Intelligent Mounts

According to the Dungeon Master's Guide, a mount with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher acts like an NPC ally rather than a mount. Riding such an ally works much like riding an aggressive mount in battle (see Part Two), except that you don't have to make a Ride check to act while riding. (If your mount carries you willingly, the ride is smooth enough so your actions aren't restricted.) You also cannot make a Ride check to control the mount's actions, but you can make a Diplomacy (or possibly a Wild Empathy) check to get the mount to accept your direction. If you do, your mount acts just like a mount trained for combat riding.

Even if you cannot (or do not choose to) direct your mount's actions, you still can ride along, making your own initiative roll and possibly delaying until after your mount acts, as noted in Part Two.

All about Mounts part 2:
    Aggressive Mounts in a Battle

A character could ride a mount that isn't cowardly in battle, but still isn't trained to carry a rider into combat. For example, a riding dog might be inclined to fight when danger threatens. If you're a druid or ranger, you might use your wild empathy ability (and maybe a speak with animalsspell or two) to induce some big carnivore to give you a lift. If you find yourself in a battle while still astride your mount/ally, you and your improvised mount still act on your initiative number. You must attempt a Ride check to direct the mount's actions, which is noted in the section on unruly mounts. If you fail, the mount might stick around to fight. If so, the mount moves where it will, but you still can't take any other action in the same round that you made the failed check (you spend your time just staying on).

You can make a diplomacy check to convince your ally to behave like a regular combat mount, if he should disagree at all. If he is willing, there is no problem at all.