New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default So... Vampyr is intolerable- to me at least.

1st big issue: Dualshock 4 controller users have to jump through flaming hoops just to get them to work. and they could suddenly not work, the way mine has.

Side Quest destinations are in overlevelled areas. I'm trying to play a "good guy" here, so I'm also lower level than I would be otherwise. I got demolished trying to do side quests, and on the way....

It is soooo easy to ruin your playthrough. Because I was too low level to fight a group of vampires I encountered while trying to do a side quest. They were attacking an old man, so I wanted to try and save him. I go back to the hospital to try and level up with the tiny bit of exp I got earlier... aaand the old man's dead. Well, so much for a clean run. Better start the game over.

Perhaps some people like this style of game but, honestly, I cannot stand it. I feel like I wasted my money on this game.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: So... Vampyr is intolerable- to me at least.

It's pretty grim, yeah. Some interesting ideas in there, but the broader execution left me quite uninterested in playing on.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Perfect clean runs are supposed to be hard to get on your first playthrough. Playing a "good guy" is supposed to be punishing - just as Jonathon is being pushed by his vampiric urges to break his vow to do no harm, so the player is being pushed by the gameplay mechanics towards the "evil" path. The challenge for a "good Jonathon" playthrough, at least until you've memorized where everything is on subsequent playthrough, isn't "can I do it perfectly", it's "how much good can I do when everything tells me to do bad."

Now this isn't to say that you're wrong for disliking it. It's just to make sure that you're not going into the game with expectations unsuitable to the game. I almost wrote "unrealistic expectations", except your expectations AREN'T unrealistic. They're normal for modern video games - you expect to be able to do every side quest, you expect that a failure in-game is because the player made a mistake, that failure means your run is ruined. But those expectations are explicitly rejected by the game. There are only a few overlevelled bosses that you can't leave or someone will die, and even those can be beaten with patience and a cautious fighting strategy, but those are still a "oh no, what have I gotten myself into" moment. You're supposed to want to run away and leave the poor sod to their fate, because that's Jonathon's self-preservation instinct kicking in as well.

If you want to keep those expectations, yeah the game isn't for you. Personally I loved that I couldn't save everyone despite my best efforts, I loved the moments where I gave in, went "argh, I need a power boost" and had to embrace a character, and then saw the repercussions of those actions (though if you plan ahead you CAN maximize your embrace XP while not facing those repercussions).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

After I've started the game, the amout of poor animations and bugs forced me to quit it forever. Did they make any updates or imrpovements?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JordanM View Post
    Did they make any updates or imrpovements?
    Since release? Yes, of course (why would you assume otherwise?).

Since you've played? Well, when DID you play?

For me Vampyr was one of the best games I've played last year. I had a bug-free experience.

As for the animations, they looked perfectly fine in my eyes. What would be "good enough" in your eyes?