New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Lords of Creation: The World Madly Spins (IC Thread)

The Land of Cliffs and Spires

The Weshesh envoy to the Land of Cliffs and Spires was met by stony silence from the assembled Ghuls.

"We... are not sure we can accept those terms, friend.

But, even if we could....
    We don't speak for all of the Ka of Skidi. The only one who could even come close is Idix herself... and she rarely answers communications. And, even then, her answers are often vague.
    Out of respect for our long friendship, we will assemble a conclave of all the Lodges to discuss your terms. This could take some time, even with our new telecommunication magics. To whom should we send our response?"

The Brotherhood

TXG:YQ met the envoy coolly in the barely constructed Capitol of The Brotherhood. "We cannot accept any terms that would infringe on the direct sovereignty of Idix over the Brotherhood.
    We are willing, however, to offer "Most Favored Nation ' status to the Weshesh and promise mutual aide and commit to non-aggression "

The Sisterhood

By the time the Weshesh envoy's offer had been passed up the Sisterhood's chain of command as far as the regional Sister Prima, things had already gone to hell...
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2021-06-22 at 04:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Concourse: Dia Stumbles Blindly
    Dia and Idix's company

Dia stepped into the Concourse, their mind set on locating the Suzerain. Unlike the careful Father of Gold, they happened to shock a group of merchants exploring the city.

Dia turned to face them, twelve feet tall; their translucent body flashing with multicolored lightning; the stars shining brightly through their cloak like a hole in reality.

"Oh hey, people."

Seeing the merchants cowering, Dia realized too late that faceless people in magic cloaks were not something normal people knew how to deal with. Embarrassed, they began changing forms to something more suitable - perhaps the fisherman's child - but then they became aware of another deity's presence, one that had arrived sooner than expected.

Apologies. I have business to attend to. Her sprites sliding into her cloak, Dia assumed her river form and rushed straight-through the group of merchants, leaping across several streets in a matter of seconds.

She touched down and condensed about thirty meters away from Idix before her avatar popped back out of The River - this time about the size of a young kobold.

"The - " Dia looked over the group, fixating on Idix. " - Unseen Hand, I presume? I am The River Dia, and I welcome you and your companions." They bowed. "... You arrived quicker than I expected."

Dia tossed a glance back down toward the plaza, sensing Abu Dhabab and... something not quite as powerful. But certainly divine, or at least, connected to the divine. They briefly wondered how they were able to just know Abu and the other newcomer were around, before shaking their head and dispersing the sprites that composed it, their hood wrapping around its absence. This is my nature as a deity. I know my own kin.

Come. The one you seek waits nearby. I will lead you to them. Perhaps you can speak more of your plight. As we walk. Dia gestures to the group assembled (even taking one of their hands, if any of them are brave enough to reach for hers) and begins leading the group to the Concourse's center.

I have.
    "... less experience with mortals than you, I'm sure." A few sprites spilled out from beneath the hood.
    Last edited by SpeedWitch; 2021-06-22 at 05:26 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Idix and Dia

Idix emotes imagery that implies a Sardonic laugh.

A large tree-like humanoid covered in carved writing and a large, muscular Crocodilian look at the divinity.

"I am YXTG:HSQ, whose name is the concept of "Crochet " I am tasked to speak for my goddess, who has no true name but whose title translates as "The Gift of the Unseen Hand" Generally, this is left untranslated and pronounced "Idix."

"Please allow me to present her. She cannot speak, so allow me to interpret her communication into words"

"Please also be introduced to Sister Prima Kaxim of The Sisterhood of Navigators, who represents the mortal flock of Idix"

Kaxim bows, "It is an honor to meet one of the heroes who saved the world. Unfortunately, we fear there is another threat. The Ghuls of The Land of Cliffs and Spires fought a centuries long war against Kerima and now seek retaliation. Kerima seems not only not to care, but to, incredibly, not to have been aware of the incredible suffering her actions caused. As a convert to Idixism, I was chosen to represent the peoples of Idix, as no Ghul could be trusted, given the extremely sensitive nature of the proceedings."

YXTG:HSQ cuts in. "It is our hope that we can convince Kerima to apologize and give a token of contrition. We are not hopeful, even that she will appear, but Idix believed the attempt must be made before...."
    Idix emotes a silence!
    "...things escalate."
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Senior disciple pays a visit, Timsah’s freedom

Manar, Timsah and several others of the leadership of the colony where meeting with an important guest during the weekly market festivities.

One of the first generation disciples of Jabal Alsalaam, had arrived that morning with incredible news. Walking through the air, he had shocked many of the civilians before landing near the Order’s Jazira Branch headquarters.

He told of how the order had witnessed the ascension and enlightenment of several of their members. How he himself had broken free from his mortal shackles through the reforging of his flesh. Passing on his experiences and those of the other immortals, he guided the the ascetics and showed the path forward. Deciding to stay for a while, he took on an elder ship role, and the role of defender of the nation.

Timsah, having plateaued in her cultivation for a while, was ecstatic. Leaving immediately after the lesson, she went to the center of the desert and dug straight downwards. Reaching the desired depth, she collapsed the edge of her hole causing her to be buried under the sand and rock.

Having awoken a strong earth affinity along with a minor wind affinity during the war, she formed a tight fitting encasing of compressed rock around herself. Inside the sarcophagus, she started her cultivation.

With the arrival of her senior, and the colony’s newfound peace, she no longer had to bear the burden and responsibility of being in charge of the colony’s defense. Others would step up, and she would be free to explore again, but for now she would focus on breaking through her bottleneck.

The Imperial Admiral had sent an invitation, although she had wanted to accept she’d been held back by her responsibilities until now. Before cultivating she had sent a message back in response:

Admiral Thorn,

I am pleased to see that the empire has stuck to our agreement these past months,

Being relieved of the burden of national defense, I am now free to join the expedition if you are still interested. A number of my crew members and a couple Mutajahil merchants have expressed to me their desire to join as well. It will take some time to get ready, but my ship will leave the colony early next spring. I hope to meet you at one of the free Islands. If this message finds you too late or if you no longer have that desire, I will have a copy of our log made so you can read it after we return successfully.

Timsah, Captain of the Leviathan

Alliances and Embassies, Manar brings the response to the Weshesh offer

Though Timsah was absent, the rest of the leadership discussed the recent treaty proposed by the Weshesh.

Considering their long history of friendship and trade, there was a general goodwill towards these fellow scaled beings. It was their steady supply of goods and timber during the war that allowed the colony to gain an initial advantage.

Their proposal was also the most reasonable one the Lizardfolk had received. Unlike the others, the Weshesh seemed content with cooperation, collaboration and mutual aid. Going through each point they took turns presenting arguments for or against, and deciding on their stance.

- Exclusive trade of goods not found in the currently known world. What a tempting offer. There was no opposition to this offer amongst the two hundred or so representatives present at the meeting.

- Opportunity to make use of Weshesh travel methods? Sounded interesting, the Mutajahil were definitely on board, but the more conservative felt that receiving such a benefit for free would be taking advantage of their friends. After discussion, it was decided that payments would be made by merchants who made use of this arrangement. After all, if something is free, it would lose its value. The Weshesh would also be free to move through Colony and Union territories, though local authorities should be notified in advance before any large scale military groups do so, after all a good host prefers to be prepared before hosting a feast.

- The free exchange of knowledge was immediately applauded by the ascetics present in the meeting. They argued fiercely against merchants and craftsmen that wanted to preserve the state of monopoly to increase profits. What finally won the argument in favor of accepting the proposal was the description of several observed technologies witnessed in other societies proving that there was still a lot to be learned and gained and a comparison to the stagnation of isolationist Corrla.

- A formal alliance. Those present could not remember having heard of such a thing before. Sure there had been talks of helping each other out like how they would help the Kobolds if they ever needed it, but an official alliance was a big commitment for a people who values their promises so highly. Although the debate was heated and lasted a long time, the majority did eventually vote in favor.

- in addition to the accepted agreement and in response to the Weshesh’s desire for exchange of knowledge, the Order of Zahd is prepared to accept both short term students and long term disciples from the Weshesh, to be trained in both mind and body.

- the Weshesh are also officially invited to participate in the yearly Grand Bazaars and all their festivities. Feasts, feats of strength, auctions, music, and of course a lively market full of street vendors.

Manar, herself decided to meet with the envoy to present the colony and unions response. While doing so she planned to ask to visit Sentar. It would be good to chance to look around and see where the future university would be built. As she hoped to teach there for a bit in the future, it would also checking out her future workplace.

The next topic of discussion was the Kobolds’ request to set up an embassy. This was passed unanimously. History had proven that Kobolds were beneficial to society and generally nice to have around. Embassies were permitted to be built in both the mainland Union, and the island Colony. Kobolds would be welcome to move freely throughout both territories, and libraries would receive generous funding from local markets. The merchants would also ask to establish an embassy amongst the Kobolds, though considering their nature it is likely to be primarily used as an auction house or small market.
    Last edited by KragBrightscale; 2021-06-22 at 10:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245

Macra'Ahi Born

Spoiler: Macra'Ahi
    Show

As Rong Tou breathed Mana into the land and stabilized it, Briettia breathed a sigh of relief and then, with a single flap of her wings cooled the lava and finished giving it life.

The land, in the presence of two divinities, immediately flourished and sparks of life danced across it. Trees erupted from the ground, with vines dangling from the tallest branches. The beaches became thousands of miles of pristine island paradise, and, once the trees had grown. Beasts and creatures began to stalk the greater jungle.

But Briettia had a plan for this island, an untameable place. A place that could not be crushed by industry, so she weaved a new blessing to latch onto Rong Tou's energy.

Spoiler: AP Action - Blessing: Feed the Hungry (Gigantism)
    Show

The power of Mana flows all over the first world. Though some see it as a dreaded power of a dead God, what it really is, is food. Energy for life that sapient races carve into magic.

Briettia's love gives creatures the ability to passively feed on mana, making dense concentrations of mana into fonts of impressive life. Nowhere is this more obvious than Macra'Ahi where Rong Tou's shaping of mana ensured that the creatures near the centre of the island would have access to much more than those on the outside. Even creatures of the same size can be five times the size if they are born around and live near fonts of Mana.

AP COST: 1
    AP ALLOCATION: Life (Growth) 4/10
    AP REMAINING: 9

With her blessing in place Briettia settled on the shores of Macra'Ahi, and overlooked the serene coast she and Rong Tou had created. In the edges of the forest, the first birds to land on the island were chirping, and the creatures that were born alongside it opened their eyes for the first time. Briettia smiled. Deep in the forest, she could feel the wilds awakening, the sudden struggle for survival, predator and prey. She breathed it in.

That said, it needed one last touch before she could really call it her own. Briettia summoned the Egg of Flocks from its nest on the Spine Aerie, and waved a hand toward it and with the motion, a small hint of divinity pushed into the artifact and for the first time in mortal memory, it hatched.

Spoiler: Saidetera
    Show

Unlike many of the creatures on Macra'Ahi, the Seidetera are exclusive to the island continent. These birds are massive creatures that can grow to have a Wingspan of dozens of feet when exposed to Mana.

Saidetera are considered by the scant few who live on Macra'Ahi to be guardian spirits of the ideals of the islands. Without any seeming rhyme or reason they prefer carefully carved stones to anything else when it comes to building their nests, which results in them tearing apart any significant fortifications on Macra'Ahi that are built anywhere but one the bare edge of the beach.

Saidetera are also some of the smarter creatures to come from the Egg of Flocks, and will often position themselves to warn or deter misguided characters away from Macra'Ahi, or those on Macra'Ahi away from the deeper parts of the forest.

Egg of Flocks USED

Once Briettia had called forth the Egg she turned to Rong Tou, who had come down to the beaches of Macra'Ahi alongside her.

"Sister, I must thank you for your part in making this paradise." Briettia plucked a brilliant feather from her wings. "Our Children here will know you as one of their mothers."

Briettia tossed her feather into the sands of the island, and it quickly burned away. In an act of divinity, she summoned the spirit she'd used all those years ago to make the first harpies, and shaped it into something Unique for this Paradise.

Spoiler: AP Action - Wild Blood Harpies
    Show

They say that the Harpies of Macra'Ahi can carry a centaur in their talons...

Larger, bolder and wilder than their cousins to the south. Wild Blood Harpies are built for the deadly land that they come from. Thick skin and powerful muscles ensure that they are less reliant on the comfort of industry than other races on the First World, and a unique bond to Briettia, the mother of Druidic Worship, and Rong Tou, the mana weaver, has left them powerfully inherently magical. Mostly that they are able to channel the inherent Gigantism that comes with mana into massive but temporary increases of strength and speed with no formal training.

They join the wilds Macra'Ahi as fearsome hunters in sister flocks. Though a society will surely form quickly with a pair of goddesses around.

Create Harpy Subrace Cost: 1
    AP Allocation: Life (Growth) 5/10
    AP Remaining: 8

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Dranera and Abu Dhahab

Dranera was legitimately confused but had things she wanted to speak with the deity about so followed along, and offered a bow of respect before sampling the tea.

"Great Abu Dhahab - I am impressed that you noted my divine energy or alternatively disappointed in myself as I thought I had a better control of it then that, but I believe you that you are mistaken about some matters - I am not Kerima nor am I privy to her thoughts or actions, she created me not to rule her people - most of whom reside with her - but to guard the first world against annihilation, she discovered that it was a lynch pin of reality and that as divinities grow in power they risk destabilising it which would end all the planes and all the gods - my core task is therefore to seek to remove any divinity that chooses to stay on the world despite this outcome. Everything else I do is personal choice - or if it isn't then my and control over me is subtle enough to escape my notice".

Her form shifted to that of a human as she spoke, if the Ghuls were involved she would prefer them to not merely deal with a goblin at all times.

"My coming here is fortunate as I wanted to discuss that matter with you and I have found your people to be reliable trading partners on the first world and hoped you might be reliable in kind - but the reason I am here now is that I heard prayers of some lost followers of the goddess I regard as a mother and wanted to find out what had happened and return them to their families and friends - as for a meeting with Ghuls of divine important, that is news to me, I recently spoke to one of their people and understood that any conflict would be avoided should both groups maintain their territories and I intend to unsure that the people of Kerima do exactly that, I am not sure what else can be done other then that".

"Apologies I have not introduced myself I am known as Dranera - in truth I use a lot of names as situations demand, but that would be the one used most", she took another sip "the tea is excellent thank you".

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

All Roads Lead To...
    The trade of knowledge between the Empire and Kobolds continued, and once again what was made by one side was taken and expanded by the other. The small lizard-kin had created improved housing, shops and inter-city roads, and the Empire took that last idea and made it larger. The roads they had already been creating between Dawnhold, across the mountains to Marreill (which was now its own growing metropolis on the peninsula across from the Great Marshes) and into kobold lands were expanded, reinforced with far more durable granite and slate rock, and molded into shape by the Empire's most talented earth shapers. For the paths that went through the Spine Aerie they were careful to stay in mountain valleys and lowlands, doing their best to avoid harpy nesting and hunting grounds, and explaining to the flying creatures that this would allow them to talk and visit with the kobolds and other things that were not birds easier.

These greater roads became known as Highways, as they were soon associated with reputable trade and free transit for immigrants alike, and the Empire both maintained and manned guard stations along these large roads to ensure the security of all those who used them. Every major city in the Great Marshes was connected along these branching roads, but they stopped at the farthest city to the west, not stretching into League territory, as the Empire's engineers were not suicidal, nor were they stupid enough to give a hostile power a rout that could be quickly traveled to invade an ally.

The Shaline people also showed just how ambitious their intellectual exercises could be, as they noticed just how rough and dangerous travel to and from the north seemed to be because of the League, and they decided to fix that by expanding their highways to the north. Three major highways were formed over the course of a decade, one running along the edge of the Great Marshes entirely, bordering centaur lands and the great Pit of Creation before rejoining the other two highways at the base of the mountains at the edge of the great deserts. The second and third highways came from the two halves of the Great Marshes, each running from the largest library-cities the kobolds possessed, with plans to build both of them through the burn zone for the sake of speed and transportation concerns. Though one required a major bridge as well, and both required large garrisons to maintain them, these highways as well would be secure as they met up with the one that was safer, if perhaps longer to travel along if one did not wish to reach the Everrun Plains or the Shaline Empire.

Thus was a safe trade rout re-established with Wadi Alsahali despite the League having made such travel risky in the recent past. While there was still some inherent risk in the journey, after all the Empire's outposts were not everywhere and they could be overrun by a determined force, proper salt and material trade began to flow once more between the Kobolds and their oldest allies with openness that approached older, safer times.

The roads and the Everrun Plains
    As the great highway project began in earnest, the Empire soon discovered that the centaur lands were nowhere near as monolithic and unified as they had assumed. Younger generations crossed the paths of the engineers and the Empire's outposts, which honestly had no idea what to do with the hooved creatures. They weren't trying to rob anyone, and they seemed friendly enough, but... the everrun plains remained closed. Not knowing what else to do, the Empire sent them on their way, and with proper roads through the mountains that could accommodate the 4-legged beings they would be able to reach Dawnhold and the more eastern, newly-founded peninsula territory as well.

This would cause them to slowly begin sending messengers and envoys to the centaurs once more, though after being burned as suddenly and without warning as they had, especially since pretty much every aggrieved ruling party on the Shaline side of the matter was still alive, these talks would not have the same enthusiasm as they did before. Repairing those bridges would take time, if they could ever truly be mended.

Jisr Archipelago - The matter of the natives
    When approached about the subject of colony aid in improving relations with the handful of conquered natives on the islands now owned by the Empire, most of which had been unpopulated before the war even began, the admiral's aids would point out that it would be stretching the terms of the treaty that they already had, which maintained that these islands would be considered the Empire's sovereign soil. The treaty maintained that separation between them, just like it guaranteed the sovereignty the Colony, League and neutral zones had. Thus, any and all troops offered would be flat-out rejected.

But, any offers for the Colony to send advisors to help with the conquered populations would be accepted. The idea of League advisors would not get the time of day, as they were probably the ones funding and encouraging the rebellious sections of the native population anyway, but the Colony was on at least somewhat friendly terms, and the Empire did not want to needlessly exacerbate that relationship already. While they weren't going to break contract, or allow their partners to be manipulated into accidentally breaking it and suffering the consequences, accepting advisors, especially in ambassador positions, was deemed to be safe. Besides, it would allow the colony to get used to working with the Empire, rather than merely tolerating them and accepting their money.

The Admirals - A short delay
    Thorn stood at the prow of his personal airship, a four-masted juggernaut that was the pride of the Shaline fleet and unique in its size and speed. It was as large as the other flagships of the armada, and should, by all accounts, have been impossible to fly. Even with the skysteel etched into its railing like it was simple decoration, and carved into its hull to name it, The Windchaser, this vessel was just too large to fly. It didn't even have proper stabilization masts, it just had buoys of oak along its side that held somewhat loose coins of false silver as well.

Yet fly it did. Because they had an advantage.

Taking a deep breath, the captain of the vessel read the message from his fellow admiral again. "Well of course we kept the agreement, Timsah. Me and my people are not some two-faced traitors trying to steal into your house to take it from you..." The captain mutters, annoyance coloring his words even if he managed to keep a handle on it. Shaking his head twice, telling himself that's how she had meant it even if sometimes it felt like that's what everyone in the colony believed. She was willing to join him on this trip. That meant more than an unintended insult might have.

Penning his own letter within his cabin at the midday meal, the solari wrote,

My colleague Timsah
    It is good to hear that you will be joining us soon. A few months of preparation will hardly hurt, and I'm certain the merchants among your crew will find plenty of opportunities to practice their craft on our journey. The shattered continent is teaming with life these days, after all, and at the very least we will be able to stop within an Empire territory or two along the way. I assume you wanted to continue your journey from where you left off? I recently visited the city in order to make our treaties and my promotion official, and there are places that I believe you will enjoy within the city.

We shall be ready to depart at your word,
    Admiral Ethrial Thorn of the Windchaser.

Stamping the letter with his wax seal and addressing it to Timsah, the oldest Solari in the world stepped from his cabin, nodded to his first mate, and then hopped off of his ships starboard prow. He then walked along the wind, forming steps beneath him as he went along, until he reached shore of the island he'd docked at to send his initial invitation to the lizard admiral. Nodding to the dockmaster there, hovering just a few inches off of the ground, Thorn said, "Pleasant evening, isn't it? See that this reaches Timsah for me. You'll find that the messaging fees, addresses, etcetera and henceforths are all in order." With that he handed the letter to one of the dockmaster's aids, then he turned around and walked back to his ship, humming a bit of a half-remembered shanti he'd heard in a neutral zone inn. For all their duplicity, the gnoll and lizard pirates really did know how to make catchy tunes...

Once he'd returned to his ship, the vessel pulled anchor and, captain and first mate working together, the ship swung away from harbor and sailed away. Though the vessel clearly moved faster than it would have without windweaving assistance, they did not fly away. The fact that the Empire had a large number of vessels that could take to the sky was still something being kept secret for now in these ports. It had helped crack down on smuggling and privateers that continued to ply these waters despite all the treaties, and just brazenly showing that capability off would hardly help keep the black market off balance. As it was, because of the advantages of flight paired with always-favorable winds, the Empire was so good at cracking down on piracy that the League likely thought there was some manner of divine intervention or deep-seeded espionage going on to keep Shaline waters clear of their influence.

It would not be a secret forever, especially with talks of skysea colonization, something that would happen above the archipelago, being seriously pushed, but another two or three years, maybe a decade or so to really rub it in, would do well to properly cement the idea that perhaps the Empire was not going to be easy prey for the criminal underbelly of the naval world.

Ennis - A matter of some confusion
    Ennis had, as was his usual MO, flown to shore ahead of the vessels that were part of this exploratory expedition... which likely added to the confusion for the ghuls, since despite flying up to them he did not need to use windweaving. He was a Solar, after all. Not that the Elder and Sister would know that.

Squinting for a few seconds at the old, incredibly old Marreill that was spoken to him, the archon tried to remember enough of the language to actually understand and talk back, and he explained. "No, no, not Knight of Winds. Only apprentice, many, in ships. Am..." He scratched at his auburn hair, the archon struggling even harder as he said, "Am... god... fragment? Shard? Lesser?" Cursing under his breath at just how little he understood this language, and how little it had been developed in general before it had changed due to all the other cultures it had met and incorporated, he moved on. "I bring hello from Shaline peoples of the sun. Renarr's blessings?"

Ennis was the one with the best grasp of this language. This first contact was going to go fantastically.

The Suzerain - Within Nocturne
    When the Idix came to him, the Suzerain had been within one of the smithies of Nocturne. It was cold here, too cold to maintain any real fires, but he was a god now. He did not need to melt metal or smelt it in order to shape it, nor did he need metal to forge in the first place, though he did happen to have a piece of iron on the anvil this time. With each strike, the Strands of Night that clung to him and every part of the room shuddered and swirled.

In between hammer strikes he would would consider the Idix quandary and its request. Then he sent it back to the being who had sent it with the following message: "I am not one of the gods that you wished to contact. While I spread their philosophies and will work to enforce what they decide at this council, I will not dictate how they should rule in your conflict." Looking at the flattened piece of metal that he had been working, it almost seemed he would add something else... but then he returned to his work and dismissed the messenger.

Renarr - Beside Lor
    Renarr had stayed beside Lor as the years passed. Below, the merchants waged their war, and she witnessed her people, the Empire that had claimed her as their leader, press out to take advantage of the situation. While they may have projected confidence and power at the time, she could see just how overcrowded their capitol settlements had become, how many of them were taking to ships to explore for places to settle, and how much of a mess their population centers had grown. So much... waste. And desperation.

Which had changed in rapid order as technology and understanding of how to organize populations had advanced, and as a pocket of unclaimed lands in the eastern end of the continent was discovered and opened to colonization. The lands claimed by Thorn in the archipelago were still utilized, but the reorganization of the cities, the improvements to the already existing infrastructure, and the effective doubling of available land to the Shaline peoples did far, far more to alleviate need than the short-lived conflict that her people had thought necessary when it began. And now, with ships capable of reaching the Skysea, and highways linking the peninsula of Dawnhold to mostly open lands on the Circle Continent proper...

Well, there would be no need for conquest for a good, long while.

And the Suzerain's republic... he should be proud of what he'd accomplished with those people. To take so many downtrodden and reforge them with such a strong spine was remarkable.

Renarr was also present when the Idix beast appeared to Lor, and she listened to the request and attempted to parse through it as best she could as well. The Tyrant was clearly Kerima, and as for Neutral ground... well, there was a place that struck her as perfect for that. After all, that's what Renarr and the other gods had made Concourse for. Whispering to the voice of Lor, the Eternal Night tells the once-kobold, "I do not believe they meant to be opaque or to conceal what they meant. I think they simply don't know that we have no idea what events they are talking about, and assumed they would be general knowledge. But if it is adjudication or advice they seek, and they wish to find it on neutral ground, then Concourse will be where they find it."

Rising from her seat, the golden robe shimmering in the light given off by Lor's reflective surface, Renarr then turned to speak to the mirror god. "Lor. My friend. This serpent is dead. Whatever sparks of its essence may have remained have long decayed and rotten away, or they have fled to a place beyond this world and its body. Your loyalty, your dedication..." Pressing a hand to the mirror's surface, she whispers, "They are staggering. But what you seek to ward against will not be found here. If there is some plot, if the serpent truly does remain, it will be somewhere unnoticed. An expanse so vast that even we could never explore it, or some hidden seed that passed under our noses. This place... it would be too obvious. And I do not want you to be trapped here for all time, guarding against something that will not happen."

Shaking her head and snapping open a portal with a flick of her wrist, the Twilight goddess adds, "Whatever you decide to do, though, know that I am still here to support you, like my followers would help yours. Just... do not waste away out here. There's so much more that we both can do."

And then Renarr stepped into Concourse to witness what was to come.

Renarr - Concourse
    The Dawnstar entered the meeting plain just a few houses away from where Abu Dhahab and the fragment of the Tyrant conversed, and that divinity drew her like a lodestone. If there was to be a meeting of the gods, then this is where she assumed they would be. She remained quiet for a time as the others gathered and both the lizard god and Dranera spoke, muttering softly, "Of course Kerima would send a representative instead of coming herself..." It was entirely characteristic of the absent tyrant. Why do her own work when she had pawns she could march up a board who would accomplish whatever her vague directions were in an at least semi-satisfactory manner?

But she did not interrupt the conversation directly, instead stepping over to a wall in order to find a place to sit and wait for the full pantheon and for the aggrieved party to appear. If she was not mistaken, a presence approached with what appeared to be Dia, and that presence was unfamiliar enough to be the divinity who had called for council. Thus, Renarr would wait until things had been cleared up on both sides.

Spoiler: AP stuff
    Show
    Starting AP: 1
    Starting PAP: 0

-1 AP; Highways: Long stretches of well maintained, wide and defended road that are pretty much exclusively used for trade and travel between settlements. These currently run from Danwhold and its eastern colonies, to Marreill, to the Kobold cities and between every major population center in the great marshes, and there are plans to build north in three major branches. One runs north of Marreill along the border of the Great Marshes, along the mountain range and border of the Everrun Plains, along the south of the Pit of Making, and then comes to an end at a fortress established at the base of the mountains that border the great deserts at the pit's south-western edge. Both other major highways extend north from the eastern and western halves of the Great Marshes, cutting through the great burn zone in order to connect with the first highway at the Shaline fortress.

Should they ask for it, the Empire is willing to establish a road up to the lizardfolk cities in the desert proper.
    Domain progress: Mortals (Discovery) 2/10

Ending AP: 0
    Ending PAP: 0

Domain Progression:
    War (Progress): 5 (Create Pantheon, Split Planar Magic: Augmentation/ Transposition, Order of Thorns, Officer's Academy, Split-subconcept: Skyships) (Changed the Portfolio so that it would make more sense)
    Mortals (Discovery) 2 (City planning, Highways)

8. - Top - End - #248

The Concourse: Dia Stumbles Blindly
    Dia and Idix's company

Dia nods to each ot them, a bit surprised to be credited with saving the world - until they remembered that's exacly what they did. "Pleased to meet you all. Likewise, I'm honored to meet another deity that appreciates the well-being of their flock - and two noble souls who play integral parts in its protection." A few sprites related to crocheting wiggle out from Dia's robe - it seemed Dia was rather taken by thr language. It reminded her of the souls she was working on only a few minutes ago... hmmm.

"I and the rest of the Vigilant will be able to mediate the discussion should the situation call for it, and keep things from escalating." Dia pauses. "If Kerima proves uncooperative, you can appeal to your family here on the Concourse lend land their power."

"I myself have just finished-up securing a place for mortal souls that have been drifting without vessels on the First World to congregate and prepare to be reborn into new bodies." They puffed out their chest, as if they were a centaur recounting how they took down a dragon. "I don't expect to do anything that drastic with the ghuls, but if its safety and security you need in the living world, I can help with that."

As Dia's attitude relaxed enough for their head to poke back out from their hood, they spotted the others in the plaza - and, focusing on Renarr specifically, suddenly remembered that everyone on the council except Renarr had been sent a message by Idix.

Dia's sprites would attempt to make way for a memory of the Surzerain's smile - but, unfortunately, that sprite didn't exist. Instead, Dia approached the other gods and avatar of Kerima with Herend's grin stretching from non-existent ear to nom-esistent ear.

"Everyone, this is Idix and her attendants..." Dia would briefly introduce the company to everyone gathered.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Expansionism, Deforestation, and Occupation?

As situation in the Jisr had escalated, and the League focused attention that way, it became a little easier for merchants traveling from the union to the Kobolds. The mirage blessing was of huge help in these journeys, allowing them to slip past otherwise dangerous situations.

The Kobolds had always been respected and highly viewed by all, and the Union had made an effort to avoid the complete loss of contact and trade. Salt was as important as ever, and merchants would trade large quantities with the Kobolds every year.

This year, the Mutajahil salt caravan heading south ran until unexpected company and drastic changes in the landscape. A massive path of smooth stone had been built right up to the outer edge of the wadis.

Confused as to who would invest so blindly, they watched as an enormous grey earth dragon burrowed out of the ground in the distance before casually grabbing a few slabs and dragging them back down into its hole. What a waste of resources!

After walking along the road for several days, the caravan had passed several military outposts. Skinny looking baldies without a singe scale on them wearing fancy robes. Some had fur on the top of their head, while others had some on their face too, how odd. The lack of iron or even bronze weapons was surprising, but an older merchant pointed out they probably borrowed unnatural foreign energies like the priests of Corrla.

Not wanting to get involved with potential priests, the caravan snuck past each outpost under the blessing of a mirage.

Arriving at the great marshes, the Mutajahil were disturbed to see the highways not only still present, but also split and multiply. Large ancient trees had been felled to make space for the new infrastructure, trees that had been around since before anyone could remember. Trees grown by the luminous deity of knowledge whose eye was the moon.

Their friends the Kobolds must be in hard times, to let another society walk all over them and destroy so much of their historical landscape.

Passing several more imperial guard posts on the way the Mutajahil arrived at their destination with heavy hearts. The hard stone ground was not as comfortable to walk on for their bare feet as the soft sand so they bathed and chatted with locals at the baths.

Careful not to be overheard by non-scaled folks, they discreetly asked some of the Kobolds if they had been conquered by the empire, or if they needed any help. Their longtime friends and fellow lizards would jump to their aid so long as they have the word. They sent their condolences regarding the loss of ancient trees, and cautioned against allowing foreign troops stay here for long.

Despite their misgivings, the merchants maintained a professional attitude when trading and talking to the imperials, and after selling their salt and receiving any messages the Kobolds or others wanted to send to the Union territory, they returned the way they had come.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Idix
    Decisions

Idix trotted before the Assembly of gods. She almost contained her disappointment that Kerima, apparently couldn't be bothered to appear in own person. But the fact she was subtly entered the minds of all present.

That her mighty aunts [In Ghulish, lit: living elders of only distant family connection] might not have understood, as the mediators, it was their obligation to contact the challenged party, never occurred to Idix. That was how arbitration had always worked.
    She gleaned from Kaxim's mind that there might be a misunderstanding. So Idix had prepared for the possibility she might need to contact Kerima herself, as uncouth as it was. But, no, here was her designated proxy.

The Dryad and the Crocodilian awkwardly shared greetings with the Vigilant, carefully avoiding direct interaction with Dranera. After a moment, the dryad announces thst Idix os ready to begin.
    Idix hesitated.
    Then, she spoke.

"Avalanches can stop
    When Mountains bow to lemmings
    Wonders can happen

Where does gold come from?
    If not the dying of stars?
    If not miracles?

Secrets breed secrets
    Wash it altogether clean
    A mother knows best"

YXTG:HSQ visibly shook and shuddered.
    "Idix says that she wishes for Kerima to apologize to her flock and pay a token of restitution, called a wampum in our language...
    Obviously, she is doubtful this will ever happen. But the offer must be made.
    I, following her close instructions, have prepared an alternative proposal. I will give it to Kerima's proxy now."

YXTG:HSQ hands over a sealed piece of rolled vellum written in the Ur-Language, but empowered by the power of the sons of Skidi to be legible to anyone. But, it was meant to be read only once, and only by Kerima.

Treaty of De-escalation,

Whereas there can be no peaceful resolution or forgiveness for the untold aeons of suffering visited on the Ghul people

And, Whereas Kerima has steadfastly refused any concessions or apology,

And, Whereas the current situation is that the Sisterhood can be reverted to Revenants at any time

And, Whereas the Sisterhood's implacable rage at Kerima might be misdirected towards the people of Corrla and its colonies

Therefore be it resolved:
    Idix will purify all Sisters of the Revenant Curse and then erase all knowledge of Revenants from the First World.

Ennis
    The Sisterhood guard shakes her head and squints, searching Other Memory for something. Then, in a stilted, old-timey, version of Shaline "Forgive my Aunt. She intends to be polite, but her knowledge of the Place Where Birds Go At Night is sadly limited.

I am happy to speak on her behalf. Please come this way, we have prepared a selection of sashimi and soup for you while you discuss whatever brought you here"

Meanwhile
    The dilettante centaurs nearly didn't find the place. The weird, run-down seeming mansion on the coast, where no centaur had ever bothered to go before. The one that had painted white circles on all the walls, no windows, and that always had a kite flying.
    The little furry people inside looked concerned. No, they looked panicked!"

"Us with council-yours had agreement-one! Stay can!"

With placating gestures, the Crumblers reassured the Ghuls their intent was as guests. The Ghuls offered them a selection of very dead animals and still wriggling slime as befit honored guests.

It was off to a great start! By the time Sister Kaxim got out of his trance, they would all be fast friends!
    GNU Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

THE KALORIAN LEAGUE: Fractures, Failure and Discontent

The outcome was, considering how the conflict had gone, better than they would have hoped for. It was wrapped in all sorts of careful diplomatic terms by the Councils, speaking of consolidating strength and forging new bonds. But the reality of what had happened was clear enough: the Kalorian League had lost. They had failed to secure the much-vaunted Corrlan trade routes and Jazira Alsahali resources; in fact, they controlled less territory than they had at the start of the conflict, forced to make concessions and sue for peace with both the Colony and the foreign fleet that had embarrassed them. And now the demands of the Weshesh had boxed them into a rather unfavorable position.

It wasn't phrased as a "demand", of course, but the implications of hand-delivering it from one of their vast island-fortresses was clear enough. And they had little choice but to accept; if they couldn't win a war with the Colony and the Empire, they certainly were in no condition to fight them and the Weshesh. This left them with few nearby options for further expansion; continuing to pursue any interests in the Red Coast or the Jisr would earn them the Weshesh Armada's wrath, and the Wadi Alsahali held little but sand. This left little but the Kobold lands (an action that would draw the ire of half the continent) or the Empire (a small and incredibly well-defended scrap of land that, if rumors be believed, was warded by the agents of the Furious Daystar herself.

The leadership of the League was, to put it mildly, quite displeased with this. Their raids along the Red Coast and the central borderlands had been some of their most lucrative enterprises; enterprises that they were now forced to abandon. And the suggestion implied in the exemptions and clauses of the Weshesh's terms were taken by some as insulting; the League obviously had no love for the Empire, but, as many fleet captains angrily declared, if the Weshesh wished for them to invade the Shaline, they ought to pay for the League's services with good gold like anyone else. A lot of good gold, at that. The League still rather respected the Weshesh, and would gladly continue their trade of Underbeer, as well as agree to exchange many of their alchemical secrets in exchange for the secrets of Weshesh ship-building (though their research into the links between Alchemy and Pharmakeia would remain secret for now). But they refused to be made into anyone's vassal.

The reaction of the common citizens and soldiers wasn't much more favorable; for what, exactly, had their sons and daughters shipped out and died for, then? Many were beginning to doubt the League that had led them into this failure, had made the critical error of leaving their flanks exposed to the Empire's predation; and from this doubt, cracks began to grow.

The loose structure of the League made it easy for many disparate entities to act together; but it also made it easy for them to splinter. So, even as the Councils consolidated the League's new position; bringing the markets of the Veiled Shadow to the Colony; trying to reinforce their trade relationship with the Land of Cliffs and Spires (a relationship that, to their exasperation, the Weshesh were also attempting to cut in on); and attempting to figure out what was causing the apparent boom in jewelry metal, of all things, among the Empire's traders; others decided that they were about done with politics, and with the perceived incompetence of the League that had lost them their lands.

And so, they removed themselves from the Red Council, and began to fly a new flag.

NORTHERN IMPERIAL BORDERLANDS: Caravans, Connections, and Special Exceptions

The gnoll caravans of the Everrun (and really, most gnoll cultures stemming from the nomadic Ufrot-Assag) had little care for the concept of borders; the land was and should be, as far as they were concerned, free for all to walk upon. But they could certainly recognize when others did; and so they could easily recognize the unique position the edicts of the Shaline and the Everrun Council had placed them in.

And so, not long after the closing of the Everrun's borders to all but gnolls, caravans began to migrate across the lines more frequently, through the recently paved mountain passes as well as down to the peninsula to the west, establishing (with some difficulty - wounds from both the Jisr war and the Everrun closing of borders were still raw) their own arrangements of trade. Like the caravans further north, they did not accept gold nor offer, precisely, barter, but arrangements of mutual support: however much medicine, alcohol, news and entertainment each village needed (as well as certain Centaur-made goods that were now more difficult to obtain), in exchange for whatever food and supplies the caravan needed.

And, as they once had with the centaurs, while some caravans left again, making a relatively lucrative venture of journeying back and forth between Everrun and Shaline lands, others stayed, establishing new nomadic circuits between the towns and villages of the Empire so long as the people chose to accept them; with a small number even beginning to settle permanently here and there.

THE NONDESCRIPT ISLAND OF XURU AGAHLIM: Immortals, Institutes, and The Science Arcane

The League at first met the reports of strange, powerful beings claiming immortality in their territories with something between trepidation and exasperation. However, though many of the ordinary Kalorians they met were amazed by their feats, many of them taking up the practice of ki-meditation or forming small cults of veneration; the leadership of the League itself, once it determined that the Transcendents were not here to fight for the Union, were not interested in fighting for the League, and could not be meaningfully controlled, mostly lost interest in them in favor of its many other problems.

One group that took a significant amount of interest in them, however, was the Green Council, and its one major arm, the Ichoria Institute. First learning of them through the Transcendents' apparent interest in mutants, the Institute eagerly tracked them down to talk with them, offering what they knew of mana and mutation in exchange for knowledge of the art of Ki cultivation and how they had acquired their incredible status. A branch of the Institute quickly made pursuit of this project their top priority; they gathered some of the more powerful Chosen and Mutants that they could find, along with a few masters of Ki willing to work with them, and began to study and collate, beginning to piece together arcane formulae that might, they felt, lead to something quite groundbreaking indeed.

Spoiler: AP Actions
    Show

Total AP: 4/16

Create Organization: The Fangh Damawi [1AP]

A group of pirates splintered from the Kalorian League, comprised primarily of fleets and captains from the islands captured by the Shaline Empire and Jazira Alsahali Colony during the War of the Jisr, as well as a handful of Makhalib Maksur leaders and veterans of the conflict frustrated with the perceived incompetence and weakness of the League.

These pirates have declared themselves entirely independent of any political entity, and prey on any and all trade within the Jisr Peninsula, including ships of the Colony, Empire, Weshesh, and League. Due to this, as well as their limited unity, they have no real base of power, sticking to isolated bases in the neutral zones and scattered ports of call mostly associated with the Veiled Shadow.

Lacking the support of League alchemists or shipbuilders, the Fangh Damawi rely heavily on their own mutant abilities and on Worship for magical power; the group largely follows a religion derived in part from the League's more sympathetic interpretation of Kassa, fully worshipping her as patron of piracy, cutthroats, and revolutionaries; all things they see themselves as. The power of Kassa does not manifest itself in flashy ways, but rather, as very subtle whispers of guidance: a "tsk" warning them when they are about to make a critical mistake, a "duck" when a sword is about to strike them from behind. As a result, though they have no overt powers, they are known for their almost superhuman perception, intuition and skill with a blade, their uncanny ability to scrap together deadly posions from very limited materials, and their impressive survival skills. Defeating them isn't terribly difficult; getting rid of them, fully rooting them out, is a herculean task likely to cause almost as much damage to the "victor" as the pirates themselves.

They are known well for the scarlet clothes many of them wear, as well as the ritual blood-drinking practiced by some of their crews, derived from a combination of heavily distorted Idixist teaching and old vampire stories. The crews are quite superstitious in general, and heavily religious. Unlike the League, their actions and overall philosophies have a more ideological bent; many of them, especially the ones operating in and around the Dhalir Islands, view themselves as revolutionaries, view their former islands' liberation as part of their mission, and have a personal dislike of the Shaline Empire and the Colony.

Their colors are a white tooth on a scarlet flag.

Deception(Thieves) 7/10

4-1 = 3/16 Remaining AP
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2021-06-23 at 09:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

The kobolds would, of course, in exchange for other races receiving their embassies, happily reveive the same in return. Or, in fact, without a return necessary, fully believing that any link of communication would encourage ties of peace and understanding.

The kobold's eagerness for friendship, however, did begin to strain, for some, as the Shaline empire began to build upon their lands. Great roads that certainly would ease the travels of non-kobolds, but also had been built with little regard for the traditional ways of kobolds living with the swamp, rather try to control it. Some praised the efforts, calling it a great gift, akin to the library-forts that they, themselves, had helped to build in other lands, but even those were wary of the many troups that soon came marching upon it, something that the Shaline felt the need for, but was more than had ever been needed in the relatively peaceful Great Marches.

But there was part of the Shaline's empire's plans that no kobold anywhere, none that knew anything of their darkest history could ever support. And so, as the Shaline builders unknowingly made their way towards the Deadlands, they encountered a strange group of kobolds. They were many, each of them with scales the colour of one long affected by disease, but they were strong. And they spoke in turn.

Scholars spoke of the terrible plague that awaited past the scorched fields, burned and burned again to forever served as a bulwark against the horrors that awaited within.

Lore-holders spoke of the dark history of the Deadlands' creation, of the horrors that the kobold race visited upin themselves to create it and to maintain it, against worse horrors still.

Priests spoke of sacrifice. Untold sacrifice that had been made, and was made still for this area, sacrifice that must be respected.

Warriors, at the last, once all appeal to emotion and reason was exhausted, spoke of the flame that awaited all who would be found knowingly entering or, worse, leaving the Deadlands. Whether the recipient was alive at the time when they saw the flame seemed of little concern to them.

But all spoke the same, and with them spoke all kobolds. This road, no road would pass through the Deadlands. Their greatest ally, their most powerful enemy, none would be allowed to breach this place while kobolds still stood.

Lor didn't say anything in response to Renarr's pleas. Over the years, she would have learned that it seldom said much and never showed any reaction otherwise. But always, it heard what had been said and always, it thought about it. And this, it thought about long and deeply. For anyone else, it wouldn't have done so, but Renarr was the one who had fired the beam which had killed the Great Serpent. Perhaps the moon was safe after all. And yet... and yet, there had never been a time when Lor was not there, in the Void, shining its cold light over the First World as it watched over it.

But perhaps... perhaps it was now time to be concerned less directly about the affairs of mortals and more about the gods. But it would not leave the world without its light, and so, it willed its power into the silvery glass that covered the Serpent Moon and willed it to always glow, as it did, to cooly reflect back onto the world the harsh sun rays. And that done, it left as it had come, its attendant Archons carrying it aways from where they had placed it so long ago. And the Moon Guardians were given a new purpose, along with a new blessing, matching the advances made by the kobolds. Any who wished it so could be taken to the Serpent Moon, a neutral grounds to talk and negotiate only.

Spoiler: AP
    Show

Bless(Mirror Grass)

The silver grass on the moon now reflects even better, allowing it to match the light of the now absent moon god.

5 - 1 = 4

Mirrors (Silver) 0 + 1 = 1

Bless(Moon Parley)

A group of people who wish to parley with each other can separately offer a prayer and to Lor, which is transmitted to the Moon Guardians. If accepted, the group is taken to the Serpent Moon and provided a place to have their talk. There they stay, until an agreement is reached, one of the group decides to end discussion or one of them attempts violence on another, at which time all are sent back to where they came from. After their return, each will have to wait at least one month before performing the ritual again, though one who attempted violence will never be able to attempt the ritual again.

Peace (Alliances): 2 + 1 = 3

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Dranera and Abu Dhahab - before the meeting

Dranera seemed much more at ease with social interaction, something Abu Dhahab was quick to notice.

I see, so I was mistaken then, both in regards to your purpose to j coming here and to your identity. You have more freedom than I expected, though I suppose that can be a burden in its own way, as you also carry the responsibility of your actions.

Regarding your people who ended up here, I must admit that was my doing. As this place is a little bare and lifeless without mortals I opened up a way to come here. The ones who find it are usually lost. My thought was that those lost might be safer in this plane of refuge than if they were to stumble around elsewhere. Though I’m a little surprised that none of the other deities seem to have created a way back to the first world yet.

Rest assured in knowing they are safe and may reside here until you or someone else creates a way home.

I seem to have inadvertently caused many merchants to accidentally arrive here due to the effect of my earlier mirage blessing.

I must also admit that I was unaware of the extent of the first world’s importance to the rest of existence. I thank you for bringing me this information, and though I am puzzled by how Kerima discovered this, that is unimportant compared to the seriousness of the issue.

It seems I can not simply rest and watch the world develop. Though I don’t believe any mortal created by us divinities will ever grow strong enough to threaten the world itself, I might need to eventually create an entity similar to yourself and walk the land once more. Though considering how much divine energy you have it must have cost kerima a lot to bring you into existence.

Ah, it seems the others have arrived, they were faster than expected. I apologize if you are not as prepared as you would have wished for such a meeting due to my company. Fear not though, you too are included under the protection of this place’s rules, and I will not allow harm to befall either party.

Now excuse me for a second, this place does not yet have a place suitable for talks such as these

As the others arrived at the central plaza, Abu Dhahab swung out his hands dramatically causing the cobblestone and ground to shift. This was the very center of the entire city, and even the plane itself. The place Abu Dhahab had first met Rong Tou and heard her song. The place the other deities had all arrived at over time, and it would become an official place for deities to meet.

Rising up, the ground formed a flat circular surface high above the nearby buildings. Then splitting it into multiple layers, the various rings staggered in height like steps down towards the center where there was an open space. All this was made of polished stone of similar look to the buildings surrounding it.

The inner ring was separated from the rest of the amphitheater by a ring of ornately decorated columns. This inner ring was set aside for deities and their representatives and the number of columns was always equal to the number of deities in existence.

On each column was ornately carved imagery that shifted and moved according to the corresponding deity’s will. There were seats and a table for each active deity near their column too. Though that space would take on some characteristic of the closest deity and the furniture and environment would shift to what was most suited for each individual.

This all happened very quickly, and Abu Dhahab soon invited everyone in to take their respective places. The lost mortals wandering the plane were also invited to witness the historic event but could only watch from the seats further up.

As Abu Dhahab went to his column, it immediately started showing delicate gold patterns of scales and coins. The personal space around him shifted to a soft warm sand and dissolved his table and chair. Instead, a simple flat rock rose from the sand for him to sit cross legged on.

Once everyone had taken their place, the talks could begin.

Spoiler: AP/PAP actions
    Show

AP: 0
    PAP: 1

Alter Land (The Divine Council) -1 PAP

A place of discussion, debate, and decision making for divinities. Every active deity has a personal reserved spot at the council regardless of whether they ever intend to be there. In a way, the disappearance or addition of a column can be seen as an indicator for the rise or fall of a deity. Though not guaranteed to always be correct, it is reliable enough to be used as an indicator. The place is basically an amphitheater, though without a raised stage.
    Sphere progress: Civilization 4/10

AP: 0
    PAP: 1 -1 = 0

14. - Top - End - #254

Another thing Awakens

Spoiler: Image
    Show

When Briettia cried across the land, she woke up one creature that had been sleeping alongside her for all those years. Made nearly immortal by her mastery of Druidic Worship, Lythillia, the first Wild Daughter awoke from a year of meditation alongside her cry.

"Mother," she hissed. The signal was clear as day. Briettia would come back however she did, but the point was that there was never a better time for the wilds to rise. She called a meeting of the Wild Daughters, many of whom would have joined the Sisterhood long after she'd fallen asleep alongside her Goddess.

A week later the Daughters were in the Aerie, around the highest peak. it was an impressive gathering, the biggest that Harpies had ever seen, but they'd also seen the raw numbers of other nations. The Wild Daughters weren't an army, but they didn't need to be.

"SISTERS!" Lythillia called as several druids around her summoned the wind to carry her voice impossible distances. "The dreams tell me that mother has left this land to make a new place for the wilds to thrive. New land is born."

"GLORY TO THE WILDS!" the sisters chanted.

"Is one land enough sisters? Should we continue to let them chain us?"

"THE WILDS ARE FREE!"

"And where they are not?"

"BRIETTIA FREES THEM!"

"We are Briettia's talons sisters! We are her wings and her cry. Knockdown the walls!

"BREAK THE CHAINS!"

"GOODBYE SISTERS! Lythillia held one of her claws to her throat and the Wilds Manifesto in the other. "Reminded them that they're the hunted."

"WE THE HUNTERS!"

Spoiler: AP ACTION: Dreaming Flocks
    Show

"I'm so sorry, I need to go. I had a nightmare... You're not safe."

Dreaming Flocks are monsters that hunt and move in one of the strangest ways yet recorded. As opposed to normal monsters that are possible to track, Dreaming Flocks weave their way into the mana of a town or city, waiting for the first creature to have a nightmare. Once a Dreaming Flock has a target several of the creatures will hunt the being in their sleep. Of course, others who see the monsters are prone to seeing them n their nightmares that night and the cycle continues...

When hunting, Dreaming Flocks are hurtable, but killing them simply destroys their physical form. You would need the win dozens of battles against the beast to stop a single one from hunting you.

As mentioned Dreaming Flocks attack those in cities because it's the most likely place for them to find prey. Dreamless nights are the best way to convince them to move on.

AP ACTION - The Wild's Manifesto

Merely days after Lythillia's speech, the first Hapries flew over Corrla. Vines crashed through walls, chains were broken, and the silhouettes of birds entered the dreams of Corrla's cities. The Wild Daughters began their promised war to end monster husbandry, but they weren't delivering traditional war, they were delivering Terror.

Spoiler: AP ACTION: Terrorism
    Show

Using Briettia's Talon, fiction to come later.

Harpies understand that they don't have the numbers to fight Corrla, but their power and bond with monsters can make it so that they make a population live in fear and want to give up their monster-taming ways.

Last edited by Writtensanity; 2021-06-23 at 10:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Dranera in the Conclave

She gave a nod of respect to Abu Dhahab as he went about his business and then withheld a sigh as she was pulled into some other engagement, so the Ghul's deity had chosen to heed her advice and approach Kerima directly in what seemed like the least direct way possible.

"Goddess Idix I most clarify some matters for you, I had no idea that you wished to meet Kerima and have no knowledge if she knows you wish to speak with her - my presence here was on a seperate matter relating to some of the lost, however I will assist you in relying your grivence to her" she took the note and left it sealed "if you will excuse me for a time I will return with her reply should she choose to give one - but this may take some time".

With that she offered the deity a bow and disappeared, shifting through the planes back to the first world and then to Kerima's abode, only to find her absent and needed to consult with others present as to where she was and track her down".

Kerima and Dranera

Kerima stood over what seemed like a recreation of the first world only without any landmasses or people - she wanted to create a second lynch pin in case the first failed, even if it would only protect her and her planes it would be enough for her and she was not happy to be interrupted her research was not going in a promising direction.

The command to explain herself did not need to be given Dranera knew it.

"The goddess Idix who is worshipped my the Ghuls wishes to parley relating to their mortal grievance against you - given that many deities of the first world have convened on this and given that such discussion outside of the first world is beyond my remit I felt it was better to deliver the letter to you - they say they want you to apologize and pay recompence - I do not know what the letter contains".

The deity took the letter scanned it for potential traps and opened it, then paused for a moment wrote her responce resealed it "leave - in the future try to deal with these matters yourself".

Dranera offered a bow and left, Kerima had never even looked at her.

Dranera returns to the Conclave
    She had not read her mothers responce as she handed it back to YXTG:HSQ "I have not read the response but I have been empowered to act in Kerima's stead going forward"

Spoiler: The Response
    Show

Idix - my way of an apology and recompence I offer three things.
    Firstly one day of Dranera's time to teach you to cleanse the souls of your faithful of the Revenant blood without damaging them.
    Secondly advice your plan to wipe you peoples minds is one that would destroy your society - you gained there support through protecting them from the Revenants without them you would lose it and your people would revert, so the next time a revenant occurs it would be your fault that your people were decimated again, this would also have impacts to the society on Corrla and any that have spawned from it whether the impacts would be great or small.
    Thirdly a counter plan - mortals are not suited for eternity, childhood memories are the most powerful as they are the ones learned when the individual is figuring out the world, your society cannot move on from what they feel is a wrong because they are consistently remembering their earliest lives - instead you would limit them to only remembering the last four lives that way they would retain their uniqueness and culture while but remembering there anger as history rather then personal, this will allow them to grow and change and adapt rather then be stuck in the past.

As a note this is an apology and offer of recompence in name only, my actions were both justified and beneficial - but mortals are limited and if they need to hear the words you can now honestly tell them I offered both of the items they requested.

I now consider this matter settled - if you choose to ignore this and engage your own plan instead that is fine but I would ask that you do not include my people in your mind wipe and should you do so Dranera will likely have to unto it in a targeted manner.

On a personal note I have long studied the works of the deity the ghuls killed, their works were impressive in their short time - hopefully yours will be also but without meeting her fate.

War comes to Corrla
    The Wild Daughters had likely miscalculated there strategy - had they came in peace as messangers of a deity it is possible that their request would have been granted, if Dranera had been around at least to hear a petition - but they didn't secondly they didn't understand the religion of Kerima death was not a concern for most of the populace, sure goblins were known for living dangerous lives but all the faithful knew what occured when you died so fear of death was not widespread.

But there greatest miscalculation might have been a lack of understanding of tryanny to support order - Dranera had largely ended pointless cruelty as it was a tactic that turned the people against the rulers, but against an actual invading enemy? Cruelty could be used with glee, priests who had long been told they couldn't abuse their own people or trading partners finally got let off the chain and they took full advantage - some hoped that the war would escalate to other groups, the peace of Dranera was a dull thing for many.

Still it was know that even if she wasn't there presently Dranera was still around somewhere and taking harsh action without approval might be seen as overstepping - so the priests held off for now, how long that would last would likely depend on how long she was absent for.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2021-06-24 at 12:16 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Idix
    The Millenial Copyright Act

Idix reads the response from Ketima. YXTG:HSQ is handed the document. Kaxim is handed the document.
    Kaxim looks startled. "You were going to what!?"

Kaxim explains the situation to the surrounding gods.

Just then, Ixi pop into existence and relay messages for Idix and Kaxim.

Kaxim responds first "There has been an attack on mainland Corrla by a group of Harpy fanatics. The Lodges are preparing to seek an alliance with the Weshesh to mount an Invasion as a follow-up. The Sisterhood is asking for divine assistance and is considering how to circumvent the Revenant Curse.
    It is now or never!"

What is a lifetime?
    And what is a century?
    Minds rot like all things.

What is a number?
    But picking one is too hard.
    8 times 8 times four

Thin the snows before
    The avalanche is begun
    And dampen the fire

Let it fade to grey
    Memory to history
    Flattening the slope"
    In the Situation Room, in the heart of the Dreamlands, the situation subtly shifted, as everyone remembered they had a truce and no good reason to attack.
    Spoiler: AP Actions:
    Show

3Ap
    -1AP Blessing: Public Domain
    All memories older than 256 years not held by the original recipient have no emotional impact and can be physically manifested and stored as sprites that remain tangible and permanent .
    War(cold war) 3/10

And some bookkeeping
    -1 AP create monster: Mana slime
    Though it was never previously appreciated, the researchers in the League realized that the unnatural growth, nutritional value, and many useful properties of the slimes of Cliffs and Spires are not natural, but a mutation brought on by exposure to mana in ancient times
    War(cold war) 4/10

1AP
    GNU Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Damned Dragons...
    On the return journey, the party from the Union were witness to just why the Empire seemed to be willing to "throw away" so many presumed rare resources on making this silly little road. The gap that had been made by the earth dragon before had been filled in with mud, clay and sand, loose shale and rock in the mix as well. Standing beside the admixture, an elder goblin in flowing silver and brown robes stood, arcane energies swirling at her fingertips, waiting for the other guards and engineers that were stationed at the fortress to step back. Once she'd been given the room she needed, her hand pressed down into the former gap and all of the material that filled that space seemed to stiffen... and then shifted in composition. All the various materials seemed to melt, each one mixing together until it was all one contiguous piece of stone, a uniform piece of granite.

The transformation took half an hour, a rapid process considering just how long it would have taken to transport the stone to this location, but it clearly took something from the elder goblin, who sat back once she had finished her work, and even needed to have a guard come to help her stand up.

... The lizards were also present when the granite dragon's head popped out from one of the mountain caves near the side of the road. The creature's reappearance did not go unnoticed for long, despite the slow, stealthy and methodical pace it approached, as if pretending it wasn't a massive scaled beast and it wasn't being watched by a troop of thirty soldiers and their mage engineer. The goblin pointed at the beast as it slunk closer, shouting, "No!" The spoken word made it pause for a second, as if the dragon could not believe the audacity of this tiny creature. But then it started sneaking closer again. "No! Don't you dare!" Paused next to that setting section of road, the dragon observed the many pointed, bronze-tipped spears being held by the guards, though they didn't seem to be foolish enough to actually get in the earth dragon's way.

When the dragon started to reach out a claw towards the road slab, a small ball of flame began to appear at the tip of the goblin's finger. The fire was clearly not a threat to the drake, after all this was an elderly mage who had attuned to the realm of change and she couldn't well channel Solace at this point in her life, so the fire was more for effect than effectiveness. "Doooooooon't." That claw set itself on the slab, not grabbing it, but stroking. Like an overgrown cat pretending they were just curious about a piece of fish and clearly had no intention of stealing it. The dragon maintained unbroken eye contact with the goblin. "I swear to whatever scaly god you happen to have been farted from, if you take this the fourth time-" And of course, that's exactly what the dragon did. Grabbing the stone and then scampering back into the mountains with the slab in a claw while the mage screamed and shot fire bolts after it. The shoulders of the entirely useless guards slumped, and calls to start getting new materials ready for next week went out to nearby aides.

The funniest thing was, all of the other pieces of road were just... left in place. Unmolested. The dragon just seemed to desire that particular piece of highway. Or to be offended by it. It was hard to tell with earth dragons.

The Great Roads - A change of Direction
    The empire had not mindlessly hacked, slashed and burnt their way through the Great Marshes in a rabid drive to civilize an untamed land. The kobolds were treasured allies in a world that was clearly increasingly hostile towards the Imperial nation. Where possible, the highways were built through blighted sections of the marshes, places that still had not healed from the drops of Wan'shi's blood that had fallen so long ago. Where the elders among the kobold population objected to the clearing of a grove, the road twisted to some place that could still support the stone's weight... or a bridge was constructed to span a river instead if one was not available. Every allowance that could be made while progress still continued was given.

Construction slowed to a crawl in the marshes. What once had been a 10 year project stretched into 15. Then limped into 20. The costs and process of building a stone road into soft marsh soil, especially when those roads had to be changed and lengthened to reduce their impact, had been underestimated. As the project's 23rd year approached, and the highways finally began to crawl to the border of the Deadlands, reports had already come from the branch of the highway that had been finished for over a decade about the fungal creatures who prowled from that plagued place. And soldiers had paid the price in combatting them.

So when the kobolds delivered their warnings the Empire had a small inkling of the danger they were being warned against, and the highways split from their intended directions one last time. Forming what was effectively a paved official border, the great roads skirted the edges of the deadlands, the eastern road linking with the non-marsh highway near the edge of the Pit of Creation, while the other ran up to the fort at the end of the roads, as intended. Just... bordering the great sandy desert, and over a longer route than anticipated.

When construction was finally done after twenty seven years, the Empire's engineers cheered, swore off ever building anything in the marshes ever again for any reason, and then they went home to have a well deserved decade-long break.

As for the guards along the highways, while at first the Empire had sent many of their best and brightest to stand watch over the great roads they intended to make as a gift to their scaled allies, it soon became glaringly obvious that there... just... was no point to it. While fungal monstrosities sometimes appeared, and some stirges or vampires would prey upon travelers on the roads, banditry and danger effectively didn't exist in the kobold's lands. No one was stupid enough to attack what was likely the single most protected and cherished society upon the Circle Continent. While the roads between kobold cities might have the occasional absolutely desperate bandit troupe, those were so rare and ragged in the marshes that even a token group could protect the highways from their predations.

And that's... eventually what the garrisons became. Manned by skeleton crews of soldiers who had retired from active service or who were just being trained in, after a mere seven years the outposts saw only the most minor use by Empire soldiers. Many were flat-out abandoned, left as fortified roadside camps that showed signs of overgrowth, rather than remaining shining beacons of Imperial security as they had been intended. There were still crews that came around once in a while to patch holes and clean out any beasties that may have made the abandoned buildings their homes, of course, but those only swept through once a decade, if that. And even their primary objective was to just repair damage done to the road itself.

In fact, this reduction in guards began to happen during construction of the roads, before they had been completed but after the Union's first wave of merchants merchants had completed their journey, and when those merchants returned the year after the number of troops stationed along the still-incomplete road numbered only half what they had seen before. Then half that again on the third journey. Then a mere tenth. Outposts and waystops were still constructed, but then immediately left behind. It was almost... eerie. Like a series of small civilizations had been born and then immediately died, slowly copping up, over the span of almost three decades.

But there was one place where this rule was not true. Along the boarder of the Deadlands, the garrisons were well maintained, constantly refreshed. While it seemed that Ilmas had decided to permanently move to the Republic, and he was not present to truly discover the nature of the plaguelands threat, the Order of Thorns was still active on the Circle Continent, and the warrior-physicians knew a blight when they saw one. They did not replace the Order of the Dead, even with Academy reinforcement the Order of Thorns was an elite of the elite fighting force that could not cover the entire area, but they could supplement the kobolds. Paladin might soon began to back the Order of the Dead's tireless devotion, improving that border's security, reducing the number of monsters that snuck through yet further, and veneration of Ilmas reduced the number of people and plants needing to be burned outside of the Deadlands for their exposure to spores because of the paladin's abilities to purge minor infections with semi-divine power.

The Empire, with its large and packed population centers, was not going to take a risk of an outbreak because of increased traffic through their highways. They had spent too much time and too much effort building the roads to have them turn into a disaster.

Gnolls from the North
    The sight of gnolls along the imperial highways would initially sound alarms within Empire garrisons, who had been trained to be warry of all the furred creatures. The League, while it was in shambles (in fact, because it was in shambles,) still sent raids and bandit packs to raid the caravans they could find. But these gnolls... they didn't fly any league colors. And they came as traders to the southern lands, with beasts of burdens, medicines and strange brews accompanying them.

While the Empire did not truck in Underbeer, seeing the mutagenic substance as a liability much in the same way they viewed the spores from the plaguelands, the other resources from northern gnoll lands were... well, they were more than welcome. The non-under version of beer was soon embraced by the Empire, in fact, even if it was only wide-spread among the lower class because of highborn pride or some such pedantic foolishness. Still, the desire to have and make alcoholic beverages to go with celebrations and important dignitary matters was strong, and so scholars, inn owners and all manner of enterprising businessmen would ask to learn how to make brews of their own.

There were a few crops grown in the Empire that might interest the Ufrot-Assag as far as fermentation went, none of which was common outside of Shaline soil. The major two were potatoes, a hearty tuber crop that grew quickly and in plentiful numbers, and grapes, a sweet and sour fruit that could be dried for storage, and grew in large bunches along the walls of Shaline settlements and in gardens dedicated to it. The fruit was honestly something of a weed carried from Corrla, but in these temperate climates and with the plentiful rains from the coast they thrived and something in the soil made the fruit larger and sweeter, so there was little harm in letting it grow and turning it into a plentiful crop.

Ennis - Southern Hospitality
    The change in language from the Sister would impress and overjoy the archon, who had the person responsible for making that tongue in the first place! Well. Him, Cassius, Thill and Bruss, but who was keeping track of that? While the solar honestly didn't need to eat anything, the offer to join the ghuls for a feast would cause him to clap his hands together and tell the small seal-people, "Ah, I'm certain that my crews will be delighted. Yes. Let us stand by a warm fire and then we can discuss what brought us here." Ennis was not a being bothered by temperatures outside of Nocturne's chill, but the crews of his ships... well, there was a reason why they had decided to wait until late spring to come this far south.

When they had finally gathered, and after making small talk with the Sister to learn just what this place and who her people were, so that he could establish a baseline for this meeting and begin to understand these hearty, strange little people, Ennis finally explained, "So then. I did promise to tell you the reason we are here. For the last few years, the Shaleill armada has been intercepting ships from the League that were in our waters. Now, we knew where they had gone and that they had been trading, but as for the cargo being smuggled and who they were trading with... well." The archon gave a half shrug. "We had no idea. Even Renarr and the Suzerain, when they wandered the world after slaying the great serpent, did not come here during their travels. So these goods, and the people that made them, were a complete mystery to us. I would hasten to ensure you... you are not in trouble. This expedition was undertaken out of sheer curiosity, not malice or aggression. We simply want to know who you are, and what these items you have created are for and what they do."

Concourse - Renarr's silence
    Things progressed quickly, and there was little reason for her to directly interact with either party. The goddess simply sat at her column, a symbol of gold etched into her podium. In this place that symbol was a solar disk, fragmented into three pieces in ragged chunks, with a moon in its center that had been shattered as if by some uncaring hand. As she understood it, the Twilight Goddess was here to judge, not to act as a councilor, and she would make her symbol reflect that. Let another god act as mediator if they wished.

And so she remained silent, simply watching and listening, until the full extend of Idix's original plan was revealed. She had been about to do... WHAT? So many centuries of history, so many threats unanswered, simply wiped from the minds of millions of mortals. Leaving so many vulnerable to Revenant predation... Renarr did not break her silence, but her eyes and hands began to literally burn as she stared at Idix's representative, and the golden symbol of her position transitioned to a glowing, pulsating crimson. How could Idix have thought that was a good idea?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ennis
    You like soup?

The Sister looks concerned. "We have many friends, but we hear little of The Land Where Birds Go at Night here. Those Sisters who are more current on the news are stationed in our bases in the far north, to warn against Corrlan aggression.
    The people of Abu Dhahab were the first to come here. That god himself is said to have taught many martial art forms still in use. A few of that kind still make the trip each year. Most of our trade is from two mighty lands, the Weshesh and The League, which we are given to understand are the second and third most powerful empires in the world, after the lands ruled by the Evil Tyrant.
    We hate to be judgmental, but we understood "Shalliel" to be one of the pirate groups antagonizing the League. Not that it matters. The people of Idix have only one enemy, and she has recently declared a truce. I know enough history to understand you are a descendant of those who rebelled against The Great Enemy in olden times, yes?
    We will tell you what we told the League. We will not offer support in any war, save a war against Corrla, and, even then, only if we think we can win. But, we will offer trade.
    They are willing to pay in full ships of precious wood for our humble potions!
    Oh, yes. You asked about those! Pharmakeic potions are blessed with the power of Idix to offer healing or temporary transformation. They can make someone bigger or faster, heal wounds, give various boons...
    As a show that we are not picking sides, we will allow you to fill your hold with them, and, if you can bring a treasure to us as valuable as what the League or the Weshesh can bring, we will give you more"

Naluluri
    Cervids are our friends

Naluluri had been on the position of watching the outer perimeter of The Situation room. It was an honorable job, but a dull one. A group of Cervids went by... nothing unusual. Except... they were clustered around an animal she had never seen before. Like a bird, but, like... bigger. And it seemed to warp the dreamscape around it.
    Naluluri psychometered a little through this narrative...
    This creature was attacking Corrlans through the Dreamlands! And the Cervids were helping it, because it warped reality in a way that tasted good to them!
    She emoted: Good Girls!
    And this was just the first step...

Spoiler: AP Action
    Show

1 AP
    -1Ap Create monster- Cervid
    These benign, elk-like creatures graze the Dreamlands, eating the residue leftover from nightmares. Lately, due to treats and positive reinforcement from Sisterhood agents, their behavior has changed slightly. They hsv ed learned to lead injured Nightmare Harpies to the Dreamlands and nurse them to health, and they have learned to signal those same creatures where particularly juicy Corrlan targets might be accessed from the Dreamlands
    War (cold war) 5/10
    0 AP
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2021-06-24 at 05:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259

The Concourse
    The Vigilant, Dranera, and Idix's party

Dia too, seemed distressed. They sat at their column of ice, having regrown to their full-height, sprites sparking-up a storm. How dare Idix try to remove the memories of mortals without their consent. How dare she try and rewrite history to her whim.

And to think, I wasted so much flattery on her!

A Ixi came into the room shortly after with more dire news, but Dia's thoughts were already too clouded with sprites to listen. A chill traveled through the amphitheater as the Protector Goddess floated off her seat. Cloak billowing in the wind, they leered down at Idix...

And then Dia's sprites feel into the Public Domain.

Her avatar fell, striking the podium on the way down and sending a crack from it all the way up into the column of ice behind it.

Hovering above, the River Dia gazed down at the congregation, listening but remaining silent.

Below, The Mouth of the River Dia struggled to stand, their sprites slowly sparking back to life, but seemingly struggling against the weight of their now completely-black cloak.

"... What?"

The Refraction/The Dreamrealm
    Dreams and the Dead

As the Ankh Agora debated and argued on their clay ball, and as souls went their way along their paths, a shimmer of light crept through the stars: the Aurora borealis. A gateway to the dreamrealm, its mere reflection formed a connection between its own plane and the Refraction, for Dia had stripped away so many layers of reality in making the Refraction that all it took was a small tear to leak into other planes - in this case, a tear that could move across the skies, taking in the stories from decayed and fallen clay paths; the final destination for discarded memories.

Though the Ankh Agora only knew of how the plane was intended to work, they could occasionally peer into the aurora from their vantage point, speculating on how this phenomena fit into the gods' plans.

Show

Starting AP
    AP
    PAP
    8/20

Refracted Aurora
    Create Portal (2 AP)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just like the real thing, the aurora's reflection within the Refraction now acts as a portal to the Dreamrealm. It regularly skirts across the Refraction, sucking up the remains of old and broken clay paths and turning the memories and stories within into fuel for dreams. This has begun a new era of lucid, chaotic dreams... and of nightmares.
    Thankfully, the portal is only small enough for souls and memories to slip on through, and any soul that manages to fall into the aurora will eventually be pulled back into the Refraction by the very nature of the plane.

Remaining AP
    AP
    PAP
    6/20

Spoiler: Divine Growth Tracker
    Show
    Current Level: Lesser Deity

★ Mind (Forgotten Memories)
    ★ Night (Stars)
    ★ Life (Celestial)
    ★ Life (Protection)
    ★ Thought (Preservation)

❖ Magic (Ren)
    ➤ 2 AP - The Refraction
    ➤ 1 AP - Windroses
    ➤ 2 AP - Athnuachan Atoll
    ➤ 1 AP - Starlight
    6/10 AP

❖ Protection (Unity)
    ➤ 1 AP - The Vigilant
    ➤ 2 AP - The Refraction
    ➤ 1 AP - The Ankh Agora
    4/10 AP

❖ ??? (???)
    ➤ 2 AP - Refracted Aurora
    2/10 AP
    Last edited by SpeedWitch; 2021-06-24 at 06:11 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Bugbear in the Playground

Luna Prologue: First Flight

While Arkhos had lingered on the Serpent Moon, looking down on the First World below, his first children began to grow into their new forms and features. Flight was, at first, terribly strange for dragons that had only known the underground. Air did not part like earth, and it resisted one's wings far less than earth resisted claws. But the freedom! Oh, to ride upon the currents of the air. It was a joy unparalleled, and these first metallic dragons savored it, drank deep of it, knowing the cup would never run empty.

To these first few (though "few" is a relative word), Arkhos had imparted his teachings and his care. He had known so well, from inherited memory, how important each life could be, how vital it was to act aright the first time. Greater still, though, the need to leave a legacy that would last beyond him. He was born from dead gods, in the wake of something that could kill them. Even beings as vast and powerful as the divinities could be laid low by a fell strike in the right way, at a critical moment.

In this, the gods were not so different from their creations as they might choose to believe. Thus, he fully committed to nurturing in these dragons, these adopted and reforged children of his hopes, a love of justice and mercy, not merely a command enforced on pain of penalty. Because someday, be it near or far off, there would be no more Arkhos, no more swift hand to swing the sword, no more intervention to tip the scales.

At that time, while trying to decide where to go on the First World, Arkhos gave a second, lesser summons to his children, to assemble with him. "Truly I tell you, though I give you gifts, I give you also burdens, and wish not to deceive you in this. I am but newly come to this world, yet wisdom I have to share. With this wisdom, a calling: Be the shining examples I have shaped you to be. Let your hearts be as bright as your scales. Be not the gilt throne that rots within. Know, each of thee, that I love thee, for thou art the work of my talons and the hope of my heart."

One, garbed in iron's gleaming grey, had asked, "But Father, why do you labor so? Why does this burden fall?" She betrayed no hint of selfishness. This was curiosity, the hunger for wisdom yet unseen.

And Arkhos smiled, for that hunger dwelt within him too. "Thy question is just. I labor, because I have but two choices: to build up that which is worth preserving, to preserve that which is worth remembering...or not, and whether by apathy or by scorn, permit its loss. Life and love are not forever sure. I have gifts to let both linger yet awhile longer." Then he paused for a long moment, and the many dragons whispered amongst themselves about these thoughts. Finally, he said, "To ignore the plight of souls thou couldst try to save be not wisdom, but highest indolence. I give my gifts, not that thee and thine might rest upon them like mouldering spoils, but that you might rise higher, and lead others likewise."

The iron dragon considered. "Then the burden is not given. It is already here, Father."

A silver dragon joined her. "Yes. We are embarked, by the spark of life: whether we choose good or ill, or simply walk away, we must choose."

And then a gold joined him. "You give us the chance to rise higher. Now we learn to do the same. Because what is built endures, and what is loved endures."

"My children," said Arkhos, his voice redolent with pride, "Full glad am I to hear you speak so. But let us turn to subtler mysteries, for while this place be safe for you and those who come after you, the World below shall not always be so kind. You must be made ready."

--

Among these chosen, come to the moon to learn and to nest, five had risen to prominence, though more by dint of their fellows' deference than by any effort on their own part. Not leaders in the usual sense, but those whose voices were heeded, and who were sought out when concerns arose. One for each of the gleaming colors of scale these dragons wore: iron, cobalt, copper, silver, and gold. To these five, Arkhos had chosen to entrust yet more teaching. He was not in the least surprised that they had been those who spoke up during the First Lesson. They had understood his heart, and his joy at their enthusiasm knew no bounds.

From this seed would grow something great and wonderful, a flock that would guide and guard, even should Arkhos fade. He did, however, ensure two things. First, that they know the Serpent Moon could never be eternally safe, and thus that they should be ever ready for a renewal of the war from time's dawn. Second, that for the first reason and many others, they should heed the wisdom and vision of Lor, who would be almost as much a parent to them as he was.

All too soon, the season of teaching had come to an end. As Arkhos had made his preparations to leave, he had said, "You shall follow behind me, in time, and find places both high and low to lair and guard. Look, in your flight, for the sign of my passing: the gift I give to the smaller children who shall come after you, which giveth flight like yours, when wisely worked. Await, in your vigil, for the sign of my return: for you will find smaller siblings, newborn to this World, and just as I taught you, so too shall you teach them."

With these words, he left, and had, in time, come to the Concourse--and other meetings besides.

Spoiler: In the recent past...
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    From the Seas to the Skies
    The metal found in the Jisr archipelago had gone unnoticed, being seen as a somewhat worthless false-silver that worked for jewelry and little else. It wasn't particularly hard (in fact, it folded if made into any kind of impact tool), too light and unable to maintain an edge to make an effective weapon, and its melting point was too low to serve as foci for most of the mana arts that channeled Solace or other heat. [...]

This metal, as long as it was inlaid into the core of each mast and used to edge the rudder and prow of the ship, greatly enhanced the effects of windweaving, allowing skilled practitioners of that magic to take their vessels to the skies for extended periods of time.

Flashback: To Seed the Sea and Skies

Arkhos, as he descended to the mortal world, came first to the blasted lands of the Skysea. They were beautiful even now, bearing the mark of their creator, whom Arkhos had never had the chance to personally meet. The devastation wrought by the Serpent, and the foul blood and ichor it had shed, had rendered Skysea barren and broken. He knew the land could be repaired, but doing so would either take time or dramatic investment of power. Given that he did not wish to make too great an impact before even meeting those who had come before him, he chose the former.

The land first had to be drawn back together, so it was not a vast array of boulders, but many distinct lands still united in one whole. That was Arkhos' way, unity found in difference, not simply despite it. Then, the spark of life had to be returned to the islands. There were still many, but now they fairly thrummed with living things, and good soil, and many different climes at different heights, that almost anyone might find a home there. And, if that were not enough to inspire wanderlust in mortal hearts, then perhaps spectacles to feast the eyes and ears upon would. Yes! This place would not merely be rich in resources, but rich in experiences, in hidden mysteries and breath-stealing sights.

But how to reach it? His dragon children already could, but it would not do to make those who would follow after depend on being ferried by their elders. No, he would seed this place--and the water-bound isles of the sea below--with the tools to rise higher, not by his hand, but by their own. Yes. A metal, like him and his dragons, but--one made to grant flight, and freedom, the ability to soar to whatever land appealed to the flier's fancies. Spread throughout the Skysea and the isles, it formed glittering veins in the dark.

Then, one final touch. Like the dragons, he did not wish for these children to want--so long as they cared for one another, and for the land that gave them life. It would sure flow with milk and honey, the mines ever-full of glittering treasures, the soil ever-rich for the tilling, so long as the people held true to his wishes, whether or not they did so because of him. Justice and mercy would, indeed, be their own reward in this land--and, in so doing, inspire others to live likewise.

He looked upon his works, and he saw that they were good. Not perfect--awaiting the fulfillment of promise--but they would hold.

Spoiler: Presently...
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    To the Seas in the Skies
    For generations, the promise of a land that had been crafted, set in the sky for them, had fueled the peoples of the Marreill vassal states. Now, with sky ships to aid them, the gale knights would finally be able to make good on those promises. [...] this meant that the Empire had begun to explore the Skysea, and to colonize the open islands here and there that didn't have any harpies on them. But they also discovered another form of life... one that no one had been expecting. The children of Arkhos. Metallic dragons.

Needless to say, giant flying lizards were hardly something that the captains of these vessels had expected to find so far above the land and seas.

Not Yet to Seize the Skies

Ambrosius had become old by dragon standards in his long wait for the fulfillment of Arkhos' prophecy, though "old" for a race that does not die of age alone is an odd concept. Still, he was present at the First Lesson, and heard firsthand the words of those who became the Pentad. That he had been chosen as a Talon of Arkhos was an honor, but just as Aurelianus had said then, the duty preceded the gift, it did not proceed from it.

And Ambrosius took pride in his work. There were places in the Skysea that now grew rich and green where once they had been naught but barren rock, no longer scarred by the ancient Serpent's caustic blood after so many centuries but still dry without life-giving water's sweet kiss. Others, he had carved open the rock, laying bare the richness hidden beneath. These resources were unimportant to the metallic dragons, who rarely lacked for much of anything, but when the younger children came, these things would be needed. Just as the Serpent Moon, now quiescent, had been shared by forerunner Lor with Arkhos, and by Father Arkhos with them, now they would share the Skysea with their younger, smaller siblings.

A dragon's sight was long; the mortal children would see what was before them. Neither is inherently better, just as the gods themselves may make mistakes or fail to judge aright. Instead, each of them--including the great Father himself--would be another part of building a world worth living in. Even the Harpies of these islands would be part of it, joined with Arkhos' new children and others from the far corners of the First World. Each would be needed, for how else could things grow and change, except by listening even to the quietest voice?

Thus it came as something of a surprise, and yet also quite expected, when a harpy messenger visited him one day during a long work sojourn, with news of strange mortals on "flying houses," who had come to "examine" the islands and seek "unclaimed" land. Ambrosius listened patiently, speaking only to soothe the young harpy's nerves, then told her he would examine these newcomers and their motives. No harm would come to the land or the promise. If these mortals proved to be Arkhos' new children, it would be a time of celebration. If not, they would be politely, but firmly, instructed as to the boundaries, and warmly welcomed to join the Skysea harpies in awaiting prophecy's fulfillment. He sent the harpy on her way, and rose to his feet, as ever pleased with the joy of flight. Today would include something new; that alone was cause to etch it in memory.

---

At first, Ambrosius had been just curious. The harpy had not been entirely wrong to refer to their vessels as "flying houses," though he was certain the more accurate term was flying ships. (Not from experience, mind, but from his education by Lor and its servants.) This implied some kind of connection to Arkhos' prophecy. Ambrosius had learned some small amount of skysteel's secrets, and this would explain both why it was the sign of where the dragons were to await, and how the second children would arrive.

And then he met the newcomers.

Dragons in general were more measured than their mortal cousins, less prone to sudden swings of temper, except as a display. Perhaps they had inherited this from their clay dragon forebears, so single-minded in their behavior that nothing could sway them. Regardless, a dragon's true ire was difficult to raise, and often twice so to soothe. Unfortunately for the Imperials, Ambrosius came upon them as they were busily extracting valuable resources from his lair.

"And what, foolish creatures, gave you the notion that THIS was 'unclaimed land'?!" he bellowed, echoing from the walls of his lair.

The intruders, unsure where or how to run, quaked in fear before his might--and he regretted his choice of entrance. He made an odd sound--perhaps the equivalent of clearing his throat, just with significantly more to clear--and pulled back, hoping to give the mortals space. Still clearly fearful, but now also confused by the dragon's lack of immediate violence, they seemed to want for more response.

"You have invaded my home, and--unless I am mistaken--stolen things which belong to me, little ones," he said, attempting as much as possible to speak calmly and slowly (and, he hoped, in a language at least one of them understood). "I should like to have a very serious chat with your leadership. This is...not the ideal means by which one might introduce one's flock to the people of a new land. It seems, in this, you and I have both erred in tarnishing this meeting; let us strive to be better to one another, henceforth and forthwith."

Show
    Create Mythic Concept: Airships (AP already spent): Skysea, as well as the Jisr Archipelago and the Athnuachan Atoll below it, are now rich in skysteel, a metal that is soft but extraordinarily light, and which responds far more strongly to windweaving than other materials. Enough skysteel embedded or plated onto a ship permits it to fly, with a reasonably skilled windweaver's magic.
    Form Legendary Society: the Children of Arkhos, comprised of most (if not all) metallic dragons. In practice it has four elements: the Pentad, "governing" representatives of the five colors; the Creche-Tenders, temp or perm teacher-dragons on the moon; the "common" folk; and the Talons, a fluid group of skilled dragons picked for special services. The society is quite ad-hoc and spread out, fulfilling their duties by personal standards, but the Pentad and a few mediator Talons address big and small internal conflicts respectively. They await the coming of Arkhos' mortal children, who will have their own duties to perform.
    Alter Land: The Skysea is habitable again, and has taken on a mixture of different climates depending on the location and altitude of the island in question. Numerous natural wonders--many never previously seen by mortal eyes--can be found if one is willing to spend enough time exploring.
    Bless: the Cornucopia. So long as those who dwell on any given island in the Skysea uphold Arkhos' values--even if they never worship him--the land will naturally renew itself over time. Overconsumption can still slow the regrowth to a crawl, but performing deeds of kindness, heroism, and justice sustain and even accelerate the growth. A society that oppresses any of its people or which tolerates exploitation or wickedness loses this benefit, though it can be regained with effort and sacrifice.

Form Legendary Society (4 AP): the Children of Arkhos [Domain: Nobility (Leadership) 9/10]
    Alter Land (1 AP): Skysea is habitable & full of cool things to see/find. [Domain: Travel (Adventure) 2/10]
    Bless (1-1=0 AP, reduced by Artifact): the Cornucopia. Skysea is magically abundant for societies that are actually nice to people. [Domain: N/A]

Current AP: 8 + 4 (rollover 6/19) - 5 = 7

Domain Progress
    Liberation (Aspiration) 9/10
    Nobility (Leadership) 9/10
    Good (Self-Sacrifice) 5/10
    Travel (Adventure) 2/10

21. - Top - End - #261

In the Spine Aerie

Brooktia's aunt had sat her down in her cave half an hour earlier before disappearing towards the proper flocking grounds. She was in trouble. She know it. She'd been strictly told to never go hunting without her sisters and that she needed to finish making her set of talon spears before she tried anything.

According to her aunt, she hadn't just tried something, she'd tried something fabulously stupid.

Aunt Heita swooped back into the cliffside cave, carrying a small woven bag in her talons. The older harpy kicked the bag off to the corner as she landed to avoid stepping on it, and moved over to the small fire she'd set up and kept burning in the corner. It was obvious that she'd traded with a master of Druidic magics to make the pit for her, because Hetta was far from a champion of magic herself.

Once Hetia had stoked the fire she strode over a small wooden box she had in the corner. She pulled a message stick out of the box and brought it over to the bag she'd brought back to the cave. She put the stick into the bag, and pulled a small wrapped package from the bag. There was meat inside, Brooktia could smell it.

Hetia went over to the counter she had set up nearby the fire and pulled out a pair of shed talons she'd sharpened for cutting instead of stabbing, and started dividing the meat in a deliberate fashion. The crackle of the fire and the occasional click of talons hitting the countertop were the only things holding off cold silence.

A gale swept past the mouth of the cave and whistled inside. Hetia broke her silence right after.

"Brookti-"

"I know, I'm sorry it was dumb," the young harpy cut her off.

Hetia put down the pair of talon knives and took a deep breath. "If you knew it was dumb, why did you do it?"

"I don't know."

"You're smarter than that."

"I don't know, okay?"

"Please. Your mother was my sister," Hetia walked around the counter before leaning on it and looking at the small girl on sitting cross-legged on the rock, her feathers tucked close to her chest in shame. "I know your mother."

"I'm not her," Brooktia pointed out.

"You have her name," Hetia argued.

"People just call me Tia instead."

"You're the oldest in her clutch."

"A clutch of two," Tia hissed.

"Yes," Hetia pushed off the counter and walked over to her niece, then crouched down to see her eye to eye. "That's why I know you're like your mother."

Tia opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. She knew that Hetia meant. Her mother had died on a hunt when Hetia and her were both young, that was why there was only her and her sister.

"I'm not angry."

"You're disappointed," Tia finished for her.

"No, I'm worried," Hetia corrected. "You're just like your mother," she repeated. This time it was less of the doting comment Tia had heard a million times before, and more a comment forged from fear. Brooktia had died young. "'Why did you try that?"

"I'm done carrying rocks," Tia whispered.

"Work's not fun," Hetia stood up and returned to her meat preparation, "but it's important."

"I can just hunt what I need and then I wouldn't need to trade favors."

"Hunting's dangerous," Hetia pointed out, "diligence is important."

"You sound like a kobold."

"Kobolds are lovely," Hetia countered.

"An elf then."

"An elf from Solace would be fine with me," Hetia considered the comment for a moment, "if a little boring." She finished cutting the meat and dropped her talon knives in the water basin. "I'm not trying to say that hunting is wrong. That's what we do in the Aerie."

"But yo-"

"I want you to finish your javelin, and take your time hatchling," Hetia said. Tia bristled at being called a hatchling. "The Aerie isn't kind to clutches of one."

Hetia took a moment to sear the meat that she'd cut before bringing a pair of slate stones over, offering one to Tia. After a failed hunt, the young harpy swallowed her pride and ate. Tomorrow, Hetia would step away from her adopted sister's hunt to teach Tia how to properly make her spear.

In the Great Marsh

A Tale of Two Neelas

Harpy Neela knew that Neela would be back before it was time, she'd promised that she would be, but maybe Godhood had finally skewed her perception of what 'on time' meant.

The last of the Wild Daughter druids in the Kobold village took their bow out of the room. Healing magic could delay the inevitable for Neela, but she wasn't sick or injured, she was just over 55 now, and in Harpy years that meant she was essentially a relic. Yesterday, she'd asked the Wild Daughters to stop trying to stop the inevitable. She knew that some of the Druids could achieve eternal life but she wasn't a druid and she'd surely spent enough of her life learning new things at this point.

As the Wild Daugther left, Neela got a view of the Harpies and Kobolds gathered in the night outside. For the Kobolds it was darn early, and for the Harpys it was exhaustingly late, but they were there to pay their respects to the mother of their people here, as well as one of the few Harpies to properly interact with a God, let alone a pair of them.

Kobold Neela would be there soon, for one last conversation to end their friendship.

The Messenger

Petria landed at the village she'd been sent to just at the start of twilight, perfect timing despite the fact that she'd taken some time off to catch a snack on the way over that new Empire road they were trying to make. That speed was what had made so many of the Kobolds love her. There weren't many harpies that could reach the distances she could in Sunrise to Sunset, and knowing that your letter was going to get delivered to its target as it woke up was a great reassurance.

In the waning light, Petria pulled out the bundle of writing sticks she'd been sent off with. They were all directed to a single, Kobold by the name of Isash, who Petria had never delivered a message to before. Whoever he was, he must have been important, but she'd learned a long time ago that Kobold clients didn't appreciate you reading their mail for them as much as some Harpies did.

After finding the noted house Petria knocked on the door and offered a little birdsong, she wasn't saying anything but a good majority of Kobolds still couldn't really tell the difference. She could communicate with anyone in town with a piece of charcoal and a writing stick, but it was only the truly dedicated that could understand spoken harpy, or play it on one of their instruments.

Petria waited for the door to open and when it didn't she scanned around. There were already a pair of Kobolds heading out of their dwelling down the street, so she wasn't too early. Maybe he was just an older man. She knocked on the door again, stopping herself just short of pounding on it. She chirped twice in her best impression of the Kobold word for hello.

No answer.

Petria jumped off the small walkway the house was on and flapped her wings twice to slow her fall. The small grassland this village was perched on was soft from recent rainfall and she didn't want to end up with a talon stuck in the mud again this week. She looked around the Kobolds that were starting to mill about the town. There weren't many Harpies here apparently.

"Anyone speak Harpy?" she generally asked the air but there was no reply. The second time she asked a small Kobold walked over and shook his head at her before pointing at her writing sticks.

Petria pulled it out of her bag to show that it was full, which meant she wasn't really going to be able to write anything to anyone without finding a stick. The Kobold that her potential ally had been walking with clicked at him twice, and he scurried off after them.

"Hello?" Petria asked again. That was going to be a pain. She was hoping that someone would at least speak so they could point her in the direction of a place to sleep, but all she saw were sympathetic but pre-occupied Kobolds. This was going to be the last time she flew without a fresh stick if she didn't know someone in the place she was headed.

Just as Petria started cursing under her breath she heard something in Harpy... well, it wasn't something proper in Harpy. It was what Harpy would sound like if it had been pushed down the stairs. Petria found the source and discovered that the thing she was hearing was Harpy as played by a Kobold less than ten years out of an egg.

"Hey, thanks," Petria twittered back at the Kobold.

The Kobold played a series of notes that certainly SOUNDED like they had some intent behind them.

"I don't understand."

More notes.

"Can you understand me?"

A single note, then the Kobold thought for a second and played two more.

"If you can tell what I'm saying, wave at me," Petria said.

A small melody was the response from the Kobold child.

"Cool, cool, cool."

"Well, you're new."

Petria spun and saw a harpy leaning against one of the larger trees, a small wagon filled with a pile of sliced deer meat salted and laid out for Kobolds to buy. The harpy herself was a brilliant gold colour, which meant she couldn't have been more than first or second-generation Marsh Harpy. "Nice to see a singing face," Petria responded.

"Mail?" the merchant asked. A Kobold pointed at one of the pieces of meat and she nodded, letting the Kobold scamper away with her prize.

"Yeah."

"Anything for Kalia?" the merchant asked.

"No."

The merchant, assumedly Kalia tsked, "I never get mail."

"Well, I deliver a lot more than I get," Petria shrugged, "catch of the day?"

"Half of it. Sisters took the rest of the buck back to the Canopy for dinner but I figured I'd buy some favours."

"Ah," Petria looked over the Harpy's shoulder, the deer was almost as fresh as it could be. "So you live here?"

"Yeah," Kalia responded, "Looking for someone?"

"Yes, than-" as Petria was about to ask about Isash there was a honk behind her. The small Kobold with the instrument from before had followed her over.

"I see you've met Goffery."

"Well, I certainly said hello," Petria said. The young Kobold honked his instrument again. It definitely wasn't supposed to be making that sound.

"He's trying," Kalia shrugged, "and he's getting better." The merchant pulled a small strip of deer off the wagon and offered it to the little scamp, who went wide-eyed and dropped his instrument. Maybe that was why it honked.

"Do you know where Isash is?" Petria asked as the pair of them watched the Kobold tear into the deer.

"Grand Library last I'd heard," Kalia said.

"Mothers and Moons," Petria cursed. "Thanks."

"Staying here tonight?" Kalia asked.

Petria sighed, and that was a yes.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Idix
    I take offense to that

The Conclave of Lodges quickly realized something. The Weshesh didn't actually want anything they had, which meant they wanted something else. That was a huge red flag. Also- a huge insult. Surely they had [i]something[i] of value!
    Furthermore, they were unclear on the exact nature of what was being offered. Free transportation? If the time ever came, the grateful people of the Circle Continent would pledge enough ships to move their armies. Pretty much by definition, because "the time" was when Corrla moved outward. Had the people of Idix wanted to launch a pre-emptive strike, surely they would have done it by now. Weapons? The Weshesh's toys were nice, they supposed. But what were they next to the power of Idix and a belt full of potions? Probably still pretty good. But not as great as the Weshesh seemed to assume.

It wasn't just an insulting offer, it was confusing, as well. "Why," asked the analysts and monitors in the Situation Room, "would they think we would possibly go for any of that? Why don't they want anything 》we have?"

"Maybe," declared Sister Kaxim "They know something we don't!"

An Elder was sent to give a response, alone. A few hotheads considered attacking the Weshesh, just to prove a point, but they were talked down by calmer voices. They had been insulted, but, perhaps this was borne of ignorance, not malice. It was true that no one had, since Kerima, dared attack the Ghuls. The Sisterhood, though mighty, had no actual enemies that had ever met it by force of arms. The few independent pirates that tried in the early days didn't live long enough to tell tales, and, after a few generations, perhaps the outside world forgot why the White Kite was such an effective deterrent to attack.
    "Well, we've had a talk. And then the Conclave talked to the Sisterhood. And the Sisterhood asked Idix, direct. And well, we have some serious issues with this proposal.
    Frankly, its an insult. You have made it clear you don't actually value anything we have, because you made it clear you are willing to give us even more for free. And the things you are offering, they are nice, I guess. But we don't need them, and, if you are giving them away, the real price must be too high to quote.
    So, if you really don't want to be here, and don't actually want the things we have on offer, maybe you should stop bothering to come by."

elsewhere
    The Sisterhood took in lots of money, and spent hardly any of it. The people of Abu Dhahab liked money. So it was a foregone conclusion that, when Sister Kaxim asked a few Sisters to hire smiths to move to The Brotherhood and work on Project Second Skin, they would have little trouble...
    GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #263
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Writtensanity View Post
    Featherly God-Mother

Spoiler: Briettia Appears
    Show
    Briettia's Arrival is far from subtle, the call that echoed across the world is quickly followed by a sudden gale, and then, a multi-winged woman standing before Arkhos in front of the egg of flocks.

Before her slumber, Briettia was a small black thing that had fallen from the sky, but colour had dripped into her during her years asleep. The prayers of motherhood and blood of nature had seeped into her dreams and changed her. The wings of Midnight had transformed into a brilliant, vibrant green, flecked with shades of brown so radiant they resembled gold.

A Divinity like Arkhos would be able to tell that this was only a single side of the Goddess. The Goddess of Nature and Motherhood as opposed to the Goddess of Monsters, but it was clear that she had chosen a form for this conversation.

Spoiler: Pictures!
    Show

"Child," she greets, "pardon my late arrival. Mother's need to sleep when they can." She looks over the Dragon God, needing to look quite a bit up to match their current form. "I don't believe I've seen you before, you must have arrived after the creation of the moon."
    "There is no need for pardon, my Lady, for the guest that cannot await so seemly a hostess doth not deserve her company!" Even knowing as he did that the body of a deity is like the clothes of mortals, a statement and a fashion rather than something innate, he could not help feeling at least a little awe at her awakening. Whether of mothers or of monsters, this goddess knew how to make an entrance with a flourish.

He continued, "Aye, that is the right of it. In the wake of the Serpent's demise, my spark did quicken from the bodies and memories of the lost, stalwart mortals and unknown small gods alike. I have taken up a quest, to meet my forebears, such as Lor, and Renarr, and thee, to know better from whence I came--and whereto I shall go."

Briettia waves her hand over the ground and a Bird of Paradise spawns, briefly in its large planar form before returning to the small spark of colour it naturally would be on the first world.

After a moment of silence as the Bird of Paradise settles on her shoulder, Briettia looks up to the great Dragon once more. "As a creator of life, I imagine you have... your own ideas about the children I've brought to the first world over our time." She motions back to the Egg of Flocks behind the pair, "Though you may have also heard that I have somewhat of a tradition for newcomers to my home in the Aerie."
    "Indeed I have heard, and I would fain propose a union of thy works and mine," he said, gesturing to the Bird of Paradise. "Thy works are of wild heart, 'tis true, but what is wild and what is noble need not be always separate things."

"Oh, and could you let our other guest know that she's free to join us? Or if you would prefer this meeting be private we can invite her up in a minute."
    "For now, I beg of thee private audience; when our work is done, I also would bid her welcome, should she wish to join." He turned to the Egg of Flocks, and called forth his own tools of making. "I see...a greatness, one that strengthens the land that strengthens it. A nobility of soul, for creatures that stalk the earth and walk upon clouds, should their wings fancy it. And for those few that do not merely endure the trials of life, but truly rise above them, a form as grand and vast as their spirits. Brilliant bird and legendary beast, united as something greater." He turns again, back to Briettia. "And above all, respected by the people who walk their lands. For their passage is not a terror, but a treasure, giving life and luck to the soil, the sea, and the sky. Such regal birds very truly fit thy Motherly vestments. What sayest thou?" He was eager to put another mark on the world--another work of grace and goodness, to light the path of those to follow.

Show
    Create Legendary Life, Regal Gryphids (5 AP, reduced by 1 by artifact, split evenly with Briettia) [Domain: Good (Self-Sacrifice)]
    The Regal Gryphids are creatures of two worlds, land and sky, beast and bird. Each is a winged quadruped, with the head and (usually) forelimbs of a bird, and the body and hind limbs of a mammal or reptile. Seven specific types are listed below, and Briettia may add more if desired.
    Classic gryphon, eagle/lion
    Swan/deer
    Flamingo/giraffe
    Golden pheasant/tiger
    Peacock/leopard
    Crane/pangolin
    Macaw/jaguar

Domain Progress
    Good (Self-Sacrifice) 7/10
    Travel (Adventure) 2/10

Remaining AP: 7-2 = 5

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzzzz414 View Post
    Kassa and the Winged Gods (Verse Two)

"You are greeted in turn, Kinryu my friend." Kassa chirped. "I hope that you and Arkhos, in turn, will forgive my deceptive appearance; my wish was solely to learn more of the new god that has appeared in this world. We did not converse in the empty city-plane, and I have heard no stories of him in the mortal world, so you can understand my curiosity, though I did not wish to interrupt the conversation of two divinities far greater than this beggar-goddess. I am a storyteller at heart after all, and it is always best for a storyteller to not interfere overmuch with a tale as it is happening, no?"
    "Fear not, it is my pleasure to treat with you, whatever body house you today." Kinryu laughs, an effervescent arpeggio, and says, "But I think you sell yourself rather short; the downtrodden and forgotten are too much ignored, and in similar measure underestimated. The Least see, and do, far more than pompous fools think, and I would rather not be among the latter! I take your storyteller's caution to heart, though. Story and memory are dear to the soul Arkhos and I share."

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzzzz414 View Post
    "But I must say..." Kassa narrowed her eyes, a serious - perhaps even more honest - tone creeping into her song. "I find myself quite intrigued by you, Kinryu. Forgive my assumption, as I do not know either of you well, but though you are unified with Arkhos in eye and ear, it seems as though you are somewhat separate in mind and being, no? You say you speak with the voice of Arkhos, but my ear hears a different one - the voice of Kinryu. Quite a curious situation for a thinking being to find itself in, I must say. I can scarcely imagine being anyone but Kassa."
    "You see rightly, Kassa. I am both less and more; different, yet same. How to capture it rightly..." He trails off, his song floating away on the wind, as he is lost in thought for a moment. Other birds--though not divinities cloaked in feathers--occupied its branches elsewhere. Kinryu shared Arkhos' awe of the Mother-of-Majesty as well, and then turned his thoughts back to Kassa. A teller of tales? Then perhaps...

"Ah, let me spin a tale for you then, if I may? Once, long ago, there was but one thing on the First World, a vast and dark ocean, that knew no light, nor ripple on its surface, for all was still and silent. To that place came Renarr, Queen of Light and Night. Her touch was fire, her steps were cinders. She learned to harness that light, so it might give life to the First." Though he only remembered these things through the limited memories of those whose sacrifice birthed him, the memories were sufficient to tell the tale, or so he hoped. With such a grand thing to speak of, the waters of a whole world, he fluttered up to a higher branch and spread wide his wings. What fool would say birds could not be theatrical? "But, as a consequence of this gift, things changed--the waters of the world were not just tousled, but sublimed. From them, came steam, and clouds, and rain, and all manner of other strange and wonderful things besides!"

He hopped back down to a perch nearer to Kassa, the tale having returned to a personal scale again; the personal scale of gods, which was no doubt a vast estate, but personal nonetheless. "As the cloud is to the lake, so am I to Arkhos: from him I come, without him I would soon be nothing, yet I am free to fly where I will, though my will is close twin to his. Our soul is one, but our choices, two." He tilted his head to one side, as if listening to something at a distance, then looked back to Kassa again. "The Goddess bids you welcome, though Arkhos would like privacy for just a little longer. I'm sure both would like to see you when they're done, should you still wish it. Not that I mind the company!"
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2021-06-25 at 06:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

furious Re: Lords of Creation: The World Madly Spins (IC Thread)

Kassa and the Winged Gods (Verse Three)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinryu
    "Fear not, it is my pleasure to treat with you, whatever body house you today." Kinryu laughs, an effervescent arpeggio, and says, "But I think you sell yourself rather short; the downtrodden and forgotten are too much ignored, and in similar measure underestimated. The Least see, and do, far more than pompous fools think, and I would rather not be among the latter! I take your storyteller's caution to heart, though. Story and memory are dear to the soul Arkhos and I share."

--

"You see rightly, Kassa. I am both less and more; different, yet same. How to capture it rightly..." He trails off, his song floating away on the wind, as he is lost in thought for a moment. Other birds--though not divinities cloaked in feathers--occupied its branches elsewhere. Kinryu shared Arkhos' awe of the Mother-of-Majesty as well, and then turned his thoughts back to Kassa. A teller of tales? Then perhaps...

"Ah, let me spin a tale for you then, if I may? Once, long ago, there was but one thing on the First World, a vast and dark ocean, that knew no light, nor ripple on its surface, for all was still and silent. To that place came Renarr, Queen of Light and Night. Her touch was fire, her steps were cinders. She learned to harness that light, so it might give life to the First." Though he only remembered these things through the limited memories of those whose sacrifice birthed him, the memories were sufficient to tell the tale, or so he hoped. With such a grand thing to speak of, the waters of a whole world, he fluttered up to a higher branch and spread wide his wings. What fool would say birds could not be theatrical? "But, as a consequence of this gift, things changed--the waters of the world were not just tousled, but sublimed. From them, came steam, and clouds, and rain, and all manner of other strange and wonderful things besides!"

He hopped back down to a perch nearer to Kassa, the tale having returned to a personal scale again; the personal scale of gods, which was no doubt a vast estate, but personal nonetheless. "As the cloud is to the lake, so am I to Arkhos: from him I come, without him I would soon be nothing, yet I am free to fly where I will, though my will is close twin to his. Our soul is one, but our choices, two." He tilted his head to one side, as if listening to something at a distance, then looked back to Kassa again. "The Goddess bids you welcome, though Arkhos would like privacy for just a little longer. I'm sure both would like to see you when they're done, should you still wish it. Not that I mind the company!"
    "I would gladly join them when Arkhos wishes it," chirped Kassa. "But I am more than happy to continue our conversation if you are. Your tale was well-told - I believe I understand you rather better now. I am most curious to see how the works of Kinryu will differ from the works of Arkhos; the cloud need not draw from one lake alone, after all, does it? And..." Mirroring Kinryu's prior flight, Kassa departed from the branch, looping around the branches and trunk before settling on a limb beneath Arkhos. "...I find your observations of the lowly and forgotten quite wise indeed. Much occurs beneath the feet of gods, kings, and self-styled heroes that they do not deign to notice - not until it is too late, anyway, and the knife is already buried in their back. Even the greatest of trees all fall eventually to the rot and squirming things festering at their root. It is true that I term myself a beggar goddess, patron of things squirming and small - fools who take that as an admission of inconsequence on my part do so at their own peril."

Kassa fluttered back upwards and landed beside Kinryu once again, tilting her head. "I must confess that I at first took you and Arkhos to be such fools. Perhaps there is more to both of us than at first meets the eye - though I had never expected to say such a thing to the scion of the god who spoke so highly of the whole and unfiltered truth." Her words carried neither malice nor mockery in their tone - merely a sort of mild and straightforward curiosity. This conversation was not proceeding quite as she had imagined, and that was interesting.

--

The First Ascension of Kassa

Sometime after her visit with the Winged Gods had concluded, Kassa wandered once again, east this time. She had already stayed upon this world for too long; she could feel its reality pounding in her ears, straining, warping, curdling beneath her power. A smart beggar must know when they have overstayed their welcome.

So, she would take one final act in this place. Kassa returned once again to the spot of her first act upon this world, ringed now by desolation and ash. She moved carefully beneath the gaze of the ever-vigilant Order of the Dead, taking the form of a tiny worm as she moved through the burned lands. When she finally reached the inner plague lands, she was quite impressed with what she saw; the blessing of Briettia had rejuvenated the place, awakening the long-dormant fungus once more, filling the land with blooms of crimson and wandering infested corpses among the mire of dead gray.

Walking to the exact center, she plucked a small bit of the fungus off a log, and infused it with her power once again; power of a different sort this time, a magic intended to establish a conduit back to this world. The First World may intend to reject her; but she did not intend to leave this world entirely quite yet.

Work done, she released the spores into the air: not just the air of this swamp, but the air of every place upon the First World, small threads of her creation suddenly appearing in every forest and bog. And with that, the constant hum of the struggling fabric of the world broke at last into an unbearable screech, the strain giving way to tears. It was time to leave.

And so, with that, the one who knew herself as Kassa burrowed beneath the skin of existence, and was gone.

Show
    AP TOTAL: 3/16

Create Avatar: Shade-Caps [3AP]

An almost entirely benign gray mushroom found all throughout the First World. The mushroom is not poisonous nor parasitic, and is in fact quite useful in many medicines. However, it can, when she wishes it, act as a conduit for Kassa's power and influence, stealing and reanimating a dead body that it has infested and turning it into a vessel through which Kassa can speak and perform acts of divine power. Intact bodies or skeletons are rather rare in civilized areas due to the old curse of Magirus, but there are many corpses created by wild animal attacks, disaster or disease in wilder areas that are more than suitable. The stolen body remains under Kassa's control until she chooses to abandon it or until it falls apart.

Trickery (Thieves) 10/10 - Portfolio Gained

Craft (Apothecary) 10/10

Death (Plague) 10/10

Ascension: Lesser Deity

3-3 = 0/16 AP Remaining
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2021-06-25 at 11:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Horticulture

The basics of horticulture sprang out of using monster husbandry on the crimson blight, how to control, spread, kill and manipulate the fungus was an interesting challange, how did it do underwater, in high mountains, underground what about the creature it infected did different animals, monsters and plants respond differently did the fungus - this research was hazardous and time consuming but worthwhile in case new strains occured, but with no enemies and no useful application for the fungus those involved with its research soon expanded to other flora around there research sites.

Thus did horticulture develop on Corrla.

Terrorism Mishaps
    While the priests (and select few other respected individuals) debated the what to do about the attacks by some new species of monster bird which seemed to target areas of research for some odd reason - the beastmasters would likely figure it out eventually when they caught some samples - the harpies targeted an area they really should have stayed away from.

The Crimson Blight was long ago considered not a true problem on Corrla they knew it and how to spot signs of infection and how to deal with them, but research did continue on it and in some cases using animals or monsters as incubators - some of the older researchers missed the good old days when they could have criminals sent to them to assist with research but the new reform collars had made that a virtual thing of the past - the harpies had no idea what they were unleashing onto themselves when they broke out the some of the birds animals and monsters that were stored near one of the facilities.

Spoiler: AP
    Show

Create Mundane Concept: Horticulture - 1AP
    The study of plant life.

Learning (Research) 5/10

26. - Top - End - #266

Lor was late to the Concourse, though it seemed to know where to go, as it knew many things not revealed. Or, at least, its archon attendants did, flying in and setting it down next to its assigned column. There were no seats or table, then, for it didn't need any as it was placed on a floor that seemed to be alike to the surface of the Serpent Moon, soon covered by short mirror grass and long carving stick stalks, a pair of which soon wrapped around its column.

When the Shaline's engineers left the Great Marshes, they took with them much of the kobolds' worries. They had been understanding enough to spare much of the more important places in kobold minds, though not, apparently, enough to understand the folly of building with stone on the swamps. At least some of the construction would certainly sink and need to be supplanted by much more appropriate wood and reed structures. The garrisons soon left as well, as the heart of kobold lands was not as dangerous as the Empire seemed to have expected. Some of their borders, certainly, where they wood was targeted by brigands and pirates, but the center, not so much. Still, kobolds placed some of their own, lighter garrisons on the fort that had been placed, though mostly used them as convenient rest spots for travelers. Still, the whole incident, especially the need for the intervention of the Order of the Dead, brought to light issues with kobold leadership. The need for some, for one. Their informal tribal union worked well enough for them, but fare poorly when those from outside needed to be spoken with with a unified voice. And so, steps started to be put into motion to create this unified voice.

This was a moment that Neela would miss for nothing, just as it was one that she had wished would never come. But it was inevitable, one way or another. Only, she had once thought that their positions would have been reversed, as she was oldest, already an adult when her dearest friend was born.

"Neela, it is good to see you," Neela said as she stepped into the room, unseen by those waiting outside. Her flute was at her side as always, but she didn't need it to speak perfect Harpy. The only kobold who could do so directly. "I received your call, I came as soon as I could. But there is always so much for me to do now." She smiled sadly and caressed Neela's feathers, at least those she could reach. She could have been bigger, but the size she once had been seemed more right at the moment.. The feathers were so pale now, compared to the vibrant colours Neela had once sported. "I have missed you, my friend. I always do, when my duties take me far."

The Grand Library was, of course, quite a ways off, more towards the center of the marshes and much further than Petria usually went. It was nearly dusk by the time she got there and would be, even more than before, aware of how much more kobold centric the marshes were as one went away from the periphery. The library itself was the kind of cobbled together mess that very old, functional buildings often became, but all of it clearly kobold sized. No one there spoke harpy either, but after some gestures and especially showing the address on the carving sticks, she managed to be directed to an open spot a sort of patio near the roof, while a messenger went inside.

It was a while after Petria reached the patio that a kobold finally entered as well, from the building. He was clearly old, to anyone who could judge kobold age. They didn't age quite like other species. Their scales, for one, tended to keep their colour, unless they had been ill for a good while, but their scales tended to become... thorny at the edges, much like those of kobolds who lacked water.

"Imagine my surprise when I heard it said that a runner had come so far to deliver my messages. And a harpy no less,' he said in kobold. "Forgive me for not speaking in your language, but I was never quite an expert at the instrument, even when my hands were steady. But you can understand kobold, I expect? I can understand harpy, if you want to speak it. At least, well enough for the occasion. You'll want your coin, yes?" The unsealing of a carving stick's cache was always a solemn occasion, done when a runner had completed their duty, whether it was to carry their stick to the recipient or to the next runner. As the final runner, Petria was entitled to whatever was left in the sticks, after each previous one had been paid their own. Depending on how well she bargain and how much she carried, that could sometimes come out to be a quite hefty sum.
    Last edited by Kinro; 2021-06-25 at 06:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

The Caravan Blessing Spreads

Through his connection to the Lizardfolk and the constant murder in the back of his mind that was the prayers of his people, Abu Dhahab learned of the peace with the pirates. Nodding to himself even as the meeting of deities continued, he decided to adjust something.

With the merchants finally having gained a time of peace and potential prosperity, there was no longer a need to limit his blessings to the Mutajahil. The restriction lifted, he allowed his blessing to freely affect any who travel in groups with trade as their goal.

The more lucrative the expedition, the more merchants were involved and the more goods sold, traded, or purchased, the stronger the blessing would be. The only requirement was the tossing of a coin or other small valuable object into the sand or the sea before and after a journey.

Due to it being a blessing to protect against violence, this blessing does not benefit any military groups, as that would be contrary to Abu Dhahab’s will.

The effects were not immediately noticed, as it mainly affected those not part of the caravan. The League was the quickest group to notice the shift. No longer was it just the Lizardfolk merchant ships that stealthily slipped past, other ships did so too. While this made things more challenging for those looking for ships to plunder, it also came with some benefits, as was reported by the Green Council.

Imperial ships had recently seemed to think it their business to stop and search ships that sailed the open seas, an undesirable issue for anyone trying to move goods around secretly.

The story reported this time was how a couple ships, loaded to the maximum with the precious fruits of their collaboration with the Ghuls quietly sailed right past a patrolling empire flotilla. Despite being close enough to toss a potion at each other the empire’s ships remained unaware of the League’s group right under their noses.

Research and Development, Digesting New Knowledge

With the alliance officially being signed, the Merchant cities of Jazira and The Wadis celebrated the dawn of a new era.

A delegation of skilled bronze and iron workers, along with other craftsmen, scholars, and a few ascetics was scheduled to depart with their families to live for a few seasons on one of the Weshesh’s moving islands. They were responsible for passing on their skills to whoever wanted to learn, or however their host decided to do things.

The secrets of black powder, whose fearsome might had been displayed earlier was something craftsmen were really interested in learning. Other knowledge and skills were also worth learning, and while Ki and spell casting were incompatible, elemental bending was a bridge between the two.

Meanwhile at the ascetic headquarters on Jabal Alsalaam, the forbidden section of the library was opened up to more researchers. Containing everything the order had managed to gather on the topic of runes.

While the runes on various creations seen in the land of the centaurs had been documented a bit by Kobold librarisnd and Lizardfolk merchants, those documents were not restricted due to being safer. These runes were from generations ago and were generally outdated due to the loss of contact and trade with Centaurs. History lessons rather than practical knowledge.

No, the restricted runes were those that contained vast amounts of information within them. There was a danger in studying them, as many who did were eventually driven insane. Nevertheless, with the example of someone transcending due to their comprehension of deeper truth, the order had decided to risk allowing more people to invest in that ancient subject.

Little progress had been made in utilizing runes over the many years since the mysterious entity that introduced them disappeared, though the order was trying to change that.

News of Conflict in the West.

Merchants returning from Corrla had some alarming news to tell. Feathered people had begun terrorizing the cities and parishes, freeing tamed and captive beasts and birds. These sounded like the people who could be seen in Kobold village, and the more knowledgeable merchants explained the identity of the Harpies.

It seemed the colony would have to limit its trade to the southern part of Corrla, to avoid being caught in the crossfire. In times like these outsiders would not likely be welcome. Considering the friendly relations between Kobolds and harpies, the Lizardfolk did not want to jeopardize their own friendship by supporting the priests of Corrla.

Spoiler: Caravan Mirage blessing
    Show

Everyone gets the blessing now. Except military groups.
    Last edited by KragBrightscale; 2021-06-26 at 06:50 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    [COLOR=#EEBB00][B]

He continued, "Aye, that is the right of it. In the wake of the Serpent's demise, my spark did quicken from the bodies and memories of the lost, stalwart mortals and unknown small gods alike. I have taken up a quest, to meet my forebears, such as Lor, and Renarr, and thee, to know better from whence I came--and whereto I shall go."

"Well, if it helps your quest for knowledge to consider me a mother, far be it from me to correct you," Briettia giggled, sounding more like a songbird than a humanoid creature. "For what it matters, my journey has been longer than many of the others I saw. Their presence is faint in the first world these days. Though some have chosen certain children to act out their will."

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    "I see...a greatness, one that strengthens the land that strengthens it. A nobility of soul, for creatures that stalk the earth and walk upon clouds, should their wings fancy it. And for those few that do not merely endure the trials of life, but truly rise above them, a form as grand and vast as their spirits. Brilliant bird and legendary beast, united as something greater." He turns again, back to Briettia. "And above all, respected by the people who walk their lands. For their passage is not a terror, but a treasure, giving life and luck to the soil, the sea, and the sky. Such regal birds very truly fit thy Motherly vestments. What sayest thou?" He was eager to put another mark on the world--another work of grace and goodness, to light the path of those to follow.

Show
    Create Legendary Life, Regal Gryphids (5 AP, reduced by 1 by artifact, split evenly with Briettia) [Domain: Good (Self-Sacrifice)]
    The Regal Gryphids are creatures of two worlds, land and sky, beast and bird. Each is a winged quadruped, with the head and (usually) forelimbs of a bird, and the body and hind limbs of a mammal or reptile. Seven specific types are listed below, and Briettia may add more if desired.
    Swan/deer
    Flamingo/giraffe
    Golden pheasant/tiger
    Peacock/leopard
    Crane/pangolin
    Macaw/jaguar

Domain Progress
    Good (Self-Sacrifice) 7/10
    Travel (Adventure) 2/10

Remaining AP: 7-2 = 5

Briettia considered the suggestion of the other God and the artifact in front of her. It was clear that they were going to make something powerful, far more world-defining than the other creations she'd worked with Gods on. Those were a small spark of power, but this required a proper flame.

Her other creation of this power had been the Phoenixes, fighters that no longer had a fight, for as long as the Aerie stood they were happy to simply hunt. These would be different. These would be friends to kings and queens.

"The wild can be cruel," Briettia said, "but it's the noblest thing we know. There is a reason that all sapient creatures compare the impressive among them to beasts." She nodded to the anvil, "let us create something beautiful."

Briettia beat her wings and laid spare feathers of the goddess onto the Anvil, ready to be smelted by the power of twin divinities. She would use the power of the wilds on the creation, ensuring that it was born into the world as something that nobody would ever want to destroy.

Show
    Create Legendary Life, Regal Gryphids (5 AP, reduced by 1 by artifact, split evenly with Arkhos) [Domain: Life (Growth)]
    Swan/deer
    Flamingo/giraffe
    Golden pheasant/tiger
    Peacock/leopard
    Crane/pangolin
    Macaw/jaguar

By the blessing of Briettia, Regal Griffons are beacons of growth and prosperity. The lands they care for grow and thrive as if enchanted providing more than either the races or animals in the area would ever need. Taking more than a creature's fair share will anger the Griffon, and possibly cause it to move on, leaving its blessing behind. In extreme situations, it may punish those who approach their oasis with greed.

The death of a Griffon is rare, as they are extremely long-lived. If they die of old age or natural causes of the wild, they cause a wild flourish of prosperity in the land around them, a final gift of their life essence.

If a Griffon is killed for greed or for defending its grove, the life essence instead becomes a curse that spreads to the creature/creatures that slew them, causing their presence to rot and kill anything that they would use for their own gain, causing them to eventually starve.

AP COST: = 2
    AP ALLOCATION: Life (Growth): Now 7/10
    AP Remaining = 6/16

In the Marshes: Tale of Two Neelas

Kobold Neela was radiant as always. When Harpy Neela had been young the Kobold had been radiant because she was a mother figure, and later it was because she was the will of a Goddess. "Thank you for coming," Harpy Neela said, her song was weak now, cracked and slightly off-tune. "I am lucky to have a God so willing to give you a break to come see me."

There were so many things that Neela wanted to say but she didn't really think she had the words to get point across. So instead she was going to try and croak out a story. "You know, I'm the first Harpy to not be named after my mother as the first in a clutch," she said. Maybe it was something that Neela had noticed, but Harpy Neela, by Harpy naming tradition should have been Annathenia. "Mom was apparently so insistent that you were important that she was SURE it would be an honor to be named after you."

A cough wracked Neela's body. If some of her hollow ribs hadn't already been cracked this surely would have done it. "I don't suppose she expected the Moon Goddess to prove her right though. I guess Lor has an eye for talent."

There was a pregnant pause in the room before the Harpy spoke up again. "Neela. Try to visit my children when you can, okay? They should know their namesake."

In the Marshes: The Messenger

Petria looked over the ancient Kobold that had arrived to take the messages. Why had this specific one been sent so many sticks at once, it honestly seemed like he wasn't going to be able to carry all of them on his own.

"My Kobold is okay," she said after spending a little too long trying to decipher what he'd said. She'd never been a talent for Kobold but understanding Kobold was MUCH more common within Harpies than the other way around, simply because Marsh Hapries were surrounded by Kobolds, and Kobolds only interacted with the occasional Harpy. "And the coin would be lovely," she didn't bother trying to bargain with the idea that she'd come far. First of all, the Kobold clearly knew that, and second, it was more about gaining a reputation for Petria than it was about getting paid this time. Kobolds already knew her for being fast, if they could understand that she was also tenacious she would have no trouble finding private mail to deliver.

"Though," she cut in as the Kobold reached for coin, "it might be rude but I have to ask what all of this," she shook her bag with the messenger sticks clattering around inside, "is. I can help you carry the messages to where they need to go because this is-"

She shook the bag again.

"This is much too much mail."

In Corrla: The Eco-Terrorists and the Plague

Harpies had heard of the red death from their time in the Great Marsh, but with the lengths, Kobolds went to keep it in check, most of them had never seen an affected creature until it was too late, and some of the infection had spread amongst several of the Wild Daughters, with more showing symptoms.

Not to mention the creature that carried the Plague out into the wilds, towards cities in Corrla, and simply made the land more dangerous by being around.

A Week After the First Infections

Wild Daughter Kalena was just half a kilometre out of the small Corrlan outpost that she'd scouted out for the past three days. There were several other Wild Daughters spread around in a similar manner nearby, waiting for the carts that left the facility at night to head out, but they were late. At least by the stars.

Then, a lantern on the roadway.

Kalena called out, a simple bridsong that would blend in with the night for creatures that didn't understand Harpy. In a tree several hundred feet away, three Harpies took off silently into the sky.

The pair of carts clattered down the roadway and Kalena put a hand of the trunk of the tree, blessing it with sudden growth. Thick roots suddenly shot out from the tree toward the cart and wrapped between its wheels. Wood splintered as wheels cracked and broke. The driver was flung from the carriage and there were shouts from inside. Kalena sprang from the tree.

The first elf popping out of the cart was impossibly fast drawing his bow, loosing an arrow before Kalena had even touched the ground. It skimmed the top of her wings, taking several feathers with it. He stepped out of the cart and reached for another arrow.

A blur and a splatter of blood. Harpy dive bombs snapped horse spines, even without having a speed out front.

There was a sudden gust of wind from the cart, pushing Kelena's ally off her target. There was a priest inside of the cart. Kalena rushed forward, before pressing her blessing into the roots that were already below the cart. The roots surged forward, breaking into the main carriage and thrashing around inside, flinging the priest out into the road.

There was another blur, but this time there was a flash and gust of wind as the priest acted quickly. The Harpy was pushed off course and her spear slammed into the ground instead of her target. The priest twisted the wind and pushed down on his attacker who cried out in pain.

The wind stopped when Kalena shoved a spear through the back of his neck. The priests of Kermia were powerful and dangerous, but that was why the daughters didn't fight fair.

Around the outpost, several similar attacks were happening at the same time, Kalena could only hope that they were going as well as theirs as the other Wild Daugther's lit the cart on fire.

---

Inside the Corrlan outpost, there were half a dozen hallowcallers, and perhaps more terrifyingly, a small collection of Blind Spectres that had their wings ravaged and flight stolen. Kalena's first instinct was to reach out and kill the beast out of mercy, but she'd heard stories of what had happened the week before.

As she approached the first of the Blind Spectres, it lashed out at her, snapping at her throat and trying to kill. It was infected, terribly so, or her Druidic Worship would have calmed it. Kalena closed her eyes and reached out to the creature, but she only felt the fungus.... a plant, a monster.

She bound with that instead of the spectre.

"You're already dead," Kalena said, "but you can get revenge for yourself." She unbound the first spectre, holding it in place via the fungus in its system. It was aggressive and deadly in this undead state, but now it was a marionette. It would bring its own revenge. The dead would throw themselves at the walls of Corrla in revenge for the horrific experiments they were doing on the wilds.

On the Shores of Macra'Ahi

Briettia had spent the better part of the day by the ocean, picking out the sounds of her children behind her and identifying them. She knew that there were other places that she needed to be, but nothing was really that far away and Macra'Ahi was somewhere that made her feel truly happy. It felt like Macra'Ahi was the lifeblood of the world, a place that showed what would have happened if Gods had just stepped away and let the wilds grow instead of making pets and pacts.

The Goddess chuckled to herself, of course, her pets were wild so perhaps she was biased.

Behind her there was a horrific crack, as a gigantic beast slammed into and knocked into a tree that was large enough to be several hundred years old. "Now now,"Briettia chided," try not to ruin the place when I'm around. Growing back isn't an excuse to hurt it."

Briettia picked up the tree and tossed it over to the beach proper, scattering some crabs as she did. Once it had settled in the beach, the Goddess frowned. "Well now you're just in the way."

Soon, picking the tree apart became a lovely project to finish the day with, and by the end of the day, the first tree to fall on Macra'Ahi had been made into a staff that Briettia blessed with the soul of the love that had birthed the island in the first place.

Spoiler: AP ACTION: Create Minor Artifact - Gift of Love
    Show

Gift of Love is a staff made from the first felled wood on Macra'Ahi and carved by the Goddess itself. Though it's technically Briettia's staff, most legends of it speak about the staff appearing in different cultures during times of strife or need.

On the staff is a map of all of Brittia's creations, always up to date. At the time of creation, the top of the staff was dotted with carvings of Regal Griffons.

Minor Artifact Power: BLESS Action

AP SPENT: 3
    AP REMAINING: 3
    AP ALLOCATION: Love (Familial) Now 3/10

Spoiler: AP ACTION: Bless - The Ties that Bind
    Show

Not all creatures are lucky enough to have a core family that they can rely on. Some, like the Harpies may never meet their mother, some others might lose their family to war or another horror of the world.

With this blessing, the divine will steer creatures towards family. For those that lose family that means finding new love in a found family, from adventuring party to group of friends. Nobody who accepts others will be left alone in the world as long as this blessing stands.

Last edited by Writtensanity; 2021-06-26 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Added fluff to the creation part

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

On the Concourse

Hetta, watching from the sidelines, notes the reactions and conversations of the various gods and groups. It seems that altering souls is against the Rules, at least as most other gods see it. She frowns slightly, crossing her humanoid arms. It can't be a universal Rule, however, or else Refraction would be in violation, and since Hetta created that with one of the gods who reacted so strongly against the idea, they must not have broken the Rule. Perhaps living souls are what is important? And yet, that doesn't seem quite right either, for there were circumstances she glimpsed on the First World where living souls were being altered and changed, and no god had objected to those actions. Hetta's draconic forelimbs dig absently at the ground, and she seems unaware that the dialogue has, for the most part, ceased.

The Bloodless See the Drinkers of Blood

The Everrun Council accepted all embassies sent to them and were happy to hear any attempts at negotiation from other nations. The cold response to their decision to close the borders still baffled the centaurs, but they were gratified whenever a country or a group re-opened conversation through the proper channels.

While the Council met with embassies and groups, the various towns and cities within the Everrun Plains were left mostly to themselves, with centaurs and the occasional gnoll the only inhabitants. The Seliodons that roamed the plains with the centaurs were cautiously, and then more warmly, welcomed to centaur farms and paths with salt and other foodstuffs; while their corrosive saliva could eventually do damage even to the clay and stone homes of the centaurs or the glyphs cut into the golems, the centaurs rarely used metal, and so the Seliodons were able to integrate much more easily into centaur society. Only a few foolish centaurs attempted to cage or control the beasts; they were obviously wild animals, and the centaurs had some idea of the desire to roam--in a controlled, regulated fashion, of course.

This isolation caused the centaurs to focus on the only real predatory threat that they found within their borders, creatures with the intelligence to read the law but who obviously did not care about societal rules: Vampires. Isolation also led to experimentation, and it was these two stressors that came together to form the beginnings of something that would grow much larger over time.

The addition of a Rune of Mana-sight to a golem was highly experimental. The golemcrafter, a centaur named Feldo Ghost-Seeker for a time in youth where he tried to discover these so-called "specters" that were said to haunt places, added the rune in as a way to seek out mana-rich areas in the Blightlands more effectively, specifically to discover Vampire cocoons more quickly and end threats before they started. He looped the rune of Mana-sight into the regular glyphs of Contain and Announce, reasoning that since centaurs were not containers of mana themselves, there would be no issue in having the golem simply grab what triggered its Mana-Sight and make noise for the centaurs nearby to hear and deal with the problem. He remembered last-second to add in the string of glyphs excluding other golems from the Mana-Sight command chain; otherwise, this golem would simply grab every other golem it saw and make noise all the time.

It surprised him when, once the golem was activated, it marched into the town and seized one of the town chief's advisors by the neck and arm, admitting a low-pitched screech that caused everyone nearby to stop and look.

It horrified him when the advisor, after struggling for a moment, dissolved into a pile of vampiric 'thralls' and began attacking everything nearby, prompting the golems to attack and the entire area to fall into chaos.

It merely confused him when, in the middle of the attack against the revealed vampire, the Mana-Sight golem suddenly exploded, sending fire and clay shrapnel out in a large radius all around it.

Show
    1 AP, 1 PAP

Bless (Mana-Sight Golems) -1 AP: By tacking a rune of Mana-Sight into the glyphs and workings of a golem, the centaurs have found a way to identify the vampires hiding in their ranks. Mana-Sight Golems have an extremely short shelf-life and are liable to explode from the mixture of magic systems, and all they do is point out who the Vampire is; actually killing it is still a huge job in and of itself. (Domain Progression: Race (Centaurs) 8/10)

1 AP, 1 PAP - 1 AP = 0 AP, 1 PAP Remaining
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Meanwhile...

The Sisterhood
    In the know

Latima didn't regret joining The Sisterhood, but, frankly... the proselytizer promised excitement, power, and immortality. And, well...
    She had powers that few could replicate, and no one person outside the Sisterhood, she was tolerably certain, had anything like the breadth of powers at her command, even if each individual power was eclipsed by the greatest adepts of various other civilizations. But... centuries of magical experience in multiple secret disciplines sounded nice, and it was! But... it was just a daily reminder of all the things she could have been doing.
    Immortality... frankly an eternity of the same thing made one wonder if taking her chances with whatever happens at true death was so bad. At least, a twenty-year-old could be forgiven for wondering.
    Because, were she a Wayfinder or a Sentry, maybe her role in the Sisterhood would be exciting. But she was a Monitor. . Watch the Guildhall for customers all day, project into the Situation Room to be a gopher for the Analysts all night...
    And, she reflected, this was sexist. Young, female Gecko-kin like her were expected to stay safe and lay lots of eggs to reincarnate into Sisters to work the front-facing side of Sisterhood operations. If she didn't like it, she could request her next body be a Ghul. They didn't even have a word for 'gender!' But... the deal must seem a lot fairer to Kaxim, who was into his third century, if most of that, to be fair, was in a female body. As for the Ghuls, they didn't even understand what the objection was.
    But, to a fresh-faced young woman just past initiation, her situation seemed... less than advertised.
    It beat her last job, though. You met far more interesting people and got treated with more respect as a Sister Monitor than as a shopgirl.
    This man, for instance, a jewel-miner. A handsome head of a jewel mine... "Excuse me, Miss..."
    "Latima. Sister Monitor Latima"
    "Oh, sorry if I offended, Sister Monitor. You can call me Salik. I would like to hire a Sister to safeguard my shipment of jewels. They are going through pirate infested waters and I worry about storms, too..."
    "Where are you going? And no offense taken."
    "The Republic! I don't have a buyer yet, but I heard a rumor that Lapis is very highly valued there!"
    That... sounded wrong.
    "I normally don't do this, Sali... but let me step outside for a moment, I want to check something "

Once she was out of sight, she sent a message to another Monitor in Noldor. It was as she feared. Then, on a whim, she asked a friend in Jisr the same question. It seemed Lapis was really very highly valued among the gnolls this season.

"Sir, Salik, you don't want to send your jewels to the Republic. Blue is currently very unpopular right now. It was associated with a politician who was caught in an unfortunate position with very inappropriate people." She giggled at the account from the ixi

"I don't!? Then where should I send it, then?"
    "The ascendant factions in The League all love blue stone beads! Beads have always been popular with gnolls. And Blue is one of the few common colors that doesn't already have a legal meaning...."

"But, but... they're pirates, and the war?"

That the League was the Lodges' only true ally was a fact that made Latima somewhat uncomfortable, and she carefully avoided thinking about it...

"The war is over, and no League Privateer would dare attack a Sisterhood ship, even during the height of the war."
    The Sisterhood made a point to never, ever, discuss funds with outsiders. If they did, they would suddenly have a rush of converts, and just as suddenly be broke.
    No other twenty-year-old born in a commoner's apartment could make the promise she was going to make, but the Sisterhood's petty cash fund was big enough, and this was a sure thing!
    "But let me put this to you: I will buy your cargo, now, at 90% market rate and pay to have a Sister take it to a certain port in the League. Once that ship returns, I will hand you 90% percent of my profits. Once you consider the going rate for a Sisterhood Wayfinder, you are going to break even if the ship doesn't come back at all!"
    'You.... can do that?"
    "No one ever said I couldn't!"
    A few weeks later, his ship was met in the port by a gnoll willing, grateful even, to buy Lapis beads for half again what Latima had paid. A few favors secured over Ixi had seen to that!
    After Latima and Salik met their treasure at the docks, they went to a fancy restaurant to celebrate. Latima took the night off Monitor duty, and, in the morning, thought "I could do this again!"

Spoiler: AP action
    Show

0+5 for rollover
    Create advanced concept- commodity brokering- 2AP
    For a cut of the action, brokers will secure the best price for commodities by acting as middlemen.
    War(cold war) 7/10
    3 AP remaining
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2021-06-26 at 03:15 PM.