New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Trad-fantasy/steampunk world cross idea

I've decided it'd be cool to maybe create a world that blends elements of your run-of-the-mill fantasy world (i.e. Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms) with more steampunk-ish elements. Not necessarily Eberron, but rather have where the magitek was lost technology, and after the world was destroyed in a cataclysmic war 1,000 years ago, have a steampunk world be built atop those ruins. The magitek has been salvaged and partially reverse-engineered so that it can be repaired, but not quite to the point where it can be mass-produced like before. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind's another big inspiration, as is Moebius' artwork in general.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Trad-fantasy/steampunk world cross idea

I think steam might plausibly be replaced with decanters of endless water. That gives you pressurized water to run your mechanisms without the need for fuel or the risk of explosion
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I think steam might plausibly be replaced with decanters of endless water. That gives you pressurized water to run your mechanisms without the need for fuel or the risk of explosion
    I got this fascinating mental image, of a steampunk city that is mostly underwater/flooded, like Venice, due to the constant streams of water pouring out of every building and vehicle.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantrue View Post
    I got this fascinating mental image, of a steampunk city that is mostly underwater/flooded, like Venice, due to the constant streams of water pouring out of every building and vehicle.
    Additionally, maybe the newer parts of the city are all on floats.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Additionally, maybe the newer parts of the city are all on floats.
    I've read steampunk cities that were on boats. For example in The Scar, there's a pirate city that consists entirely of ships, including a few oil-tankers in the center that are used for agriculture.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

In terms of government in society, the world could be in be in a equivalent to the Early Modern Period, which seems to be comparatively underutilized as a setting (aside from specific aspects like the golden age of piracy and the Italian renaissance) and also has the advantage of being the time frame between the medieval era which trad fantasy is very loosely based on and the 19th century-ish time period that that steampunk genre tends to be based on.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now that's odd. I myself was thinking of using specialized magitech for heat control which basically meant that steam, thermal engines, and hot air balloons can now be run at a tenth of a cost, but there's a dire lack of fossil fuels needed for diesel. In other words, lots of airships, electric trams, and such, but things like cars and trucks are things used only by the powerful and elite. And each drop of diesel fuel is something that has to be extracted from biomass. i.e. crops.
    Last edited by Accelerator; 2021-06-05 at 03:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    Yeah, that would be cool. I've toyed with the idea of putting D&D into a Victorian/Belle Epoque setting but never done any real work on it. I remember thinking I was going to lean into magitech rather than trying to create and integrate a conventional technological base because, well, it seemed like a lot of extra work. :) Good luck with that and I hope you share some of your work.
    Victoriana was quite a fun little RPG that had these kind of schenanigans going on.