New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Question Some mechanical ideas for my Archfey?

So, I'm building a homebrew Archfey. This fey was part of a Sumer Court, but was banished to oversee a massive trading town in Feywild for a millenia. She's about 7000 years old. In Summer court she was a full on patron of plants and beasts, but after centuries of being bound to this town, she became a Broker of Contracts. You want to make a secure contract? You summon her with a small sacrifice and as she attends the wording of contract, she enforces her great powers for a contract to be enforced as it was worded.

Since she is very much into plants and beasts, she is very strong with transmutation (thus a True Polymorph as lvl 9 spell)

I have a few empty slots for her powers and I'd really appreciate some advice on what to put there in terms of mechanics. They are marked in bold. Also any general comments on this are very welcome!

Thanks!

Plant/Beast Archfey - Contract Enforcer
    Armor Class: 14 (Dexterity)
    Hit Points: 250
    Speed: 35 on foot, 60 in flight
    Strength: 14 (+2) Dexterity: 18 (+4) Constitution: 13 (+2) Intelligence: 13 (+2) Wisdom: 18 (+4) Charisma: 20 (+5)
    Skills: Arcana +12, History +12, Perception +9, Deception +15
    Damage Resistances: Fire, Lightning
    Damage Immunities: Necrotic, piercing, bludgeoning and slashing from non-magical weapons
    Condition Immunities: Charmed, frightened, paralyzed, petrified
    Senses: Truesight 120 feet, Passive Perception 19
    Languages: Common, Sylvan, Gnomish, Halfling, Druidic

Legendary Resistance (3/ day): If the Archfey fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
    Magic Resistance: The Archfey has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Spellcasting: The Archfey is an 18th level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 20, +12 to hit with spell attacks). The Archfey has the following spells prepared, from the Sorcerer, Druid, and Warlock spell lists.

Cantrip (at will): Message, Eldritch Blast, Fire Bolt

1st level (4 slots): Animal Friendship, Speak with Animals, Hex, Chromatic Orb

2nd level (3 slots): Animal Messenger, Locate Animals or Plants, Blindness/Deafness, Mirror Image

3rd level (3 slots): Dispel Magic, Plant Growth, Speak with Plants, Slow

4th level (3 slots): Greater Invisibility, Hallucinatory Terrain

5th level (3 slots): Teleportation Circle, Scrying

6th level (1 slot): Transport Via Plants, Mass Suggestion

7th level (1 slot): Regenerate, Reverse Gravity

8th level (1 slot): Wish, Anthipaty/Sympathy

9th level (1 slot): True Polymorph

Actions

Master of Contracts: (i need some ideas for this)Enforces a magical contract with consequences for all parties.

Aura of Plants and animals: (i need some ideas for this) Basically entrances animals and plants, including dead plants (wood)

Legendary Actions

The Archfey can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The Archfey regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Cantrip: The Archfey casts a cantrip.
    Conjure Fey (costs 2 Actions): As the Archfey, he can summon other Sylvan creatures to fight alongside him in combat or to aid in any myriad of tasks. The creatures he can summon include Blink Dogs, Satyrs, Green and Sea Hags, Faerie Dragons, Pixies, Sprites and Dryads. These summons have the same Charisma and Dexterity as the Archfey, while all other stats remain the same.
    SOMETHING (costs 3 Actions): (i need some ideas for this) Maybe just a refluff of some other similar monsters' ability, but with plants/beast fluff?

An Archfey’s Lair

forest fey

An Archfey often resides in a location of their choice, which is normally a place where the realms of mortal man and the fey overlap. These can be ruins, ancient castles or sacred groves of trees where no one sane dares to wander to. Guarded by all manner of sylvan creatures, they make sure to keep them in a state of eternal beauty and grandeur.

Its lair reflects the individual personality of the Archfey: while a benevolent and kind one may adorn it with everlasting trees and bird feathers, one with ill intention may cast shades of purples and greys over all that resides in its domain.

Due to their long-lived lifespans, many Archfey hoard some sort of valuable similar in the way dragons do in their lairs. It could be jewelry, magical artifacts or rare books. These beings are rare to give these up without a fight, but if granted something from their stock, consider it your luck kicking in.

An Archfey encountered inside of its lair has a challenge rating of 22 (41,000 XP).

Lair Actions

On initiative count 20 (loosing initiative ties), the Archfey can take a lair action to cause one of the following magical effects: the Archfey can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row.

The Archfey rolls a d8 and regains a spell slot of that level or lower. If it has no spell slots of that level or lower, nothing happens.
    The flow of time is altered such that every creature in its lair must reroll Initiative. The Archfey can choose not to reroll.
    Magical fog billows around one creature the Archfey can see within 120 feet of it. The creature must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by the Archfey until Initiative count 20 on the next round.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Some mechanical ideas for my Archfey?

Starting with estimating the Challenge of the Archfey to see if my assessment is in concordance with yours. I'm using the numbers from the DMG for this.

For the sake of making the estimation easier, I'm going to assume an attack action roughly equivalent to casting Chromatic Orb at 5th level.

Defensive CR: 20
    250 hit points, boosted to the equivalent of 312 because of damage immunities, then 402 because of Legendary Resistances. A pre-cast Regenerate would boost it to 405, but more importantly, would likely allow it another turn after being reduced to 0 hit points for the first time. A pre-cast Mirror Image would negate three hits, which is hard to quantify. Probably worth another point of defensive CR, at least.

Their AC is really low, even with Magic Resistance supposedly being equivalent to adding 2 points.

Offensive CR: 17
    Chromatic Orb at 5th level, plus Eldritch Blast three times using Legendary Actions, is about 97 damage each round, at +12 to hit.

Overall Challenge: ~19

Other comments on stats:
    You've got Wish listed as an 8th level spell. I'm guessing that's intentional? If so, can I suggest giving the Archfey the ability to cast Wish once per day instead of shoehorning it in at an improper level?

I'd suggest giving them some proficiencies in saving throws. Even with Magic Resistance, they're going to have difficulty making high DC saving throws.

It's hard to miss AC 14 at high levels. Bumping it up to something like 18 would increase the chances that low rolls miss, at least.

Is the Conjure Fey Legendary Action supposed to emulate casting the spell by the same name? If so, that would be good to note. Also, if they lose concentration, will the fey turn on them as normal? I'll also note that you switch the pronouns of the archfey in this ability.

Their Constitution and Intelligence modifiers should only be +1 if the score in both is 13.

Ideas for empty slots:

Master of Contracts - Target two or three creatures with a DC 20 Wisdom save. On a fail, the Archfey and the target creature are bound by a contract. While bound, if the target or the Archfey takes some sort of action (like not moving, casting a spell, attacking, not taking the Dodge action, or the like), they take psychic damage (4d10, maybe?)

Aura of Plants and Animals: I think the Wrath of Nature spell would be a good option for this, potentially with the addition of charming beasts in the area as well. Charmed beasts would follow the Archfey's commands.

SOMETHING Legendary Action: Maybe Polymorph on each creature within 60 feet?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Oh, Twelvetress, I SO appreciate your input! I'm not a really good numbercruncher and this helps soo much! I have a few questions tho :)

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvetrees View Post
    Starting with estimating the Challenge of the Archfey to see if my assessment is in concordance with yours. I'm using the numbers from the DMG for this.

For the sake of making the estimation easier, I'm going to assume an attack action roughly equivalent to casting Chromatic Orb at 5th level.

Defensive CR: 20
    250 hit points, boosted to the equivalent of 312 because of damage immunities, then 402 because of Legendary Resistances. A pre-cast Regenerate would boost it to 405, but more importantly, would likely allow it another turn after being reduced to 0 hit points for the first time. A pre-cast Mirror Image would negate three hits, which is hard to quantify. Probably worth another point of defensive CR, at least.

Their AC is really low, even with Magic Resistance supposedly being equivalent to adding 2 points.
    Any advice on how to ramp up AC, without giving her actual armor? I'd really like to go with Druid or Warlock spells?

You've got Wish listed as an 8th level spell. I'm guessing that's intentional? If so, can I suggest giving the Archfey the ability to cast Wish once per day instead of shoehorning it in at an improper level?
    It was a mistake. And your suggestion is GREAT!

Ideas for empty slots:

Master of Contracts - Target two or three creatures with a DC 20 Wisdom save. On a fail, the Archfey and the target creature are bound by a contract. While bound, if the target or the Archfey takes some sort of action (like not moving, casting a spell, attacking, not taking the Dodge action, or the like), they take psychic damage (4d10, maybe?)
    Hmmm. I was thinking of something more time-spanning here. Say, they agree, they will trade information for gold. One party breaks the contract. I was thinking of the party that broke the contract, to get daily exhaustion levels, perhaps can't heal or takes psychic damage daily that increases with each day?

Aura of Plants and Animals: I think the Wrath of Nature spell would be a good option for this, potentially with the addition of charming beasts in the area as well. Charmed beasts would follow the Archfey's commands.
    I was really thinking of something along these lines:

Fey energy radiates from Archfey in an aura with a 240-foot radius. Until the spell ends, the aura moves with archey, centered on it. Each beast or plant creature in the aura is unable to perform hostile actions against Archfey. If within 30-foot radius, each beast or plant must make a DC 20 Wisdom save, and if it fails the save, acts as a guardian of Archfey. Beast or plant can make a save at the end of every turn.

SOMETHING Legendary Action: Maybe Polymorph on each creature within 60 feet?
    Perfect.

4. - Top - End - #4

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    Oh, Twelvetress, I SO appreciate your input! I'm not a really good numbercruncher and this helps soo much! I have a few questions tho :)
    Glad to be of help.

Any advice on how to ramp up AC, without giving her actual armor? I'd really like to go with Druid or Warlock spells?
    Barkskin, maybe? That's the only spell I can think of that would do it and it's unfortunately concentration.

A lot of monsters have higher armor due to natural armor and I think that could make sense for an Archfey as well. A hydra, for example, gets most of it's AC from natural armor. You could do much the same and set your Archfey's AC to something like 17.

Hmmm. I was thinking of something more time-spanning here. Say, they agree, they will trade information for gold. One party breaks the contract. I was thinking of the party that broke the contract, to get daily exhaustion levels, perhaps can't heal or takes psychic damage daily that increases with each day?
    In my experience, Actions are usually intended as the major offensive option creatures have in combat. What you're describing sounds more like something that would be useful in a social situation. Can you clarify how you see this working in a fight?

I was really thinking of something along these lines:

Fey energy radiates from Archfey in an aura with a 240-foot radius. Until the spell ends, the aura moves with archey, centered on it. Each beast or plant creature in the aura is unable to perform hostile actions against Archfey. If within 30-foot radius, each beast or plant must make a DC 20 Wisdom save, and if it fails the save, acts as a guardian of Archfey. Beast or plant can make a save at the end of every turn.
    That seems fine to me, although I might suggest making it a feature instead of an Action. It sounds like an aura that you want constantly active instead of something the Archfey has to activate each turn.

What does "acts as a guardian of Archfey" mean? Being specific would help in the case where this affects a player, like a wildshaped druid. I'd take a look at the Cambion's Fiendish Charm ability for an example of something similar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

In my experience, Actions are usually intended as the major offensive option creatures have in combat. What you're describing sounds more like something that would be useful in a social situation. Can you clarify how you see this working in a fight?
    I get the feeling it isn't really meant for combat but rather more of a, if you break your contract you slowly and painfully die.

So maybe something like

Master of Contracts: Upon the creation of a contract between two parties she infuses each party with Intelligent spores. These spores enter their bodies and can not be damaged. When the spores detect a breach of the of the contract their magic rots their host, dealing 2d10 necrotic damage, this damage cannot be healed until the spores are removed.

The removal of spores occurs when the contract is completed or when an 8th level remove curse is casted on the infused creature.
    -

Then if anyone removes them you can have it that some goons go out to force the spores to be taken back or take some more violent actions
    Last edited by sleepyhead; 2021-05-11 at 09:00 PM.
    My limited homebrew experience
    oh hey didn't see you there

6. - Top - End - #6

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thisdude9001 View Post
    I get the feeling it isn't really meant for combat but rather more of a, if you break your contract you slowly and painfully die.
    I'm confused why creating/enforcing contracts would be an Action, specifically. That seems like an odd place to put it.

I suspect I'm being too picky. Your suggestion is much more in line with what is sounds like is wanted, thisdude9001, so I'm not going to belabor the point any more.

I think some language as to what constitutes a contract could help make the ability more clear. How do you make a contract and at what point does the Archfey step in?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Barkskin, maybe? That's the only spell I can think of that would do it and it's unfortunately concentration.

A lot of monsters have higher armor due to natural armor and I think that could make sense for an Archfey as well. A hydra, for example, gets most of it's AC from natural armor. You could do much the same and set your Archfey's AC to something like 17.
    How is natural armor integrated in a monster statblock? Do I just make up AC 18?

Yes, this is totally out-of the fight concept. COntracts, just ... magically weighted. Something similar to Unbreakable Wow in HP. I Was thinking Geas could be a good starting point?

That seems fine to me, although I might suggest making it a feature instead of an Action. It sounds like an aura that you want constantly active instead of something the Archfey has to activate each turn.

What does "acts as a guardian of Archfey" mean? Being specific would help in the case where this affects a player, like a wildshaped druid. I'd take a look at the Cambion's Fiendish Charm ability for an example of something similar.
    Absolutely! It should not be an action.

Hoh, this is gold. Let's see...

Aura of Plants and animals: Up to a dozen plants and beasts within 240 feet of the Archfey must succeed on a DC 22 Wisdom saving throw or be unable to attack Archfey, while under this aura. If within 30 feet, and failing a save, these creatures/plants are considered magically charmed for an hour. The charmed target defends Archfey from any perceivable threat. If the target suffers any harm from the Archfey or another creature, the target can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a target's saving throw is successful, or if the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the Archfey's aura for the next 24 hours.
    Last edited by HoboKnight; 2021-05-12 at 12:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thisdude9001 View Post

So maybe something like

Master of Contracts: Upon the creation of a contract between two parties she infuses each party with Intelligent spores. These spores enter their bodies and can not be damaged. When the spores detect a breach of the of the contract their magic rots their host, dealing 2d10 necrotic damage, this damage cannot be healed until the spores are removed.

The removal of spores occurs when the contract is completed or when an 8th level remove curse is casted on the infused creature.
    -

Then if anyone removes them you can have it that some goons go out to force the spores to be taken back or take some more violent actions
    Amazing and very much to the point :D :D :D

Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm confused why creating/enforcing contracts would be an Action, specifically. That seems like an odd place to put it.

I suspect I'm being too picky. Your suggestion is much more in line with what is sounds like is wanted, thisdude9001, so I'm not going to belabor the point any more.

I think some language as to what constitutes a contract could help make the ability more clear. How do you make a contract and at what point does the Archfey step in?
    Well, you have two parties. One will provide goods, other services. Both parties make a small sacrifice to a fey and she appears. As they say out loud the contract, she magically binds it.

Also I'm thinking "contract" is sort of sentient. No lawyering around RAI. :D

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGuy

How is natural armor integrated in a monster statblock? Do I just make up AC 18?
    Correct. To continue with my hydra example, if you look at that stat block, you'll see (natural armor) written out after its AC. With a Dexterity modifier of +1, the hydra gets another +4 bonus from its natural armor. That number isn't coming from anywhere, its an arbitrary amount that the designer added to get the hydra's AC to what they felt was an appropriate number.

Yes, this is totally out-of the fight concept. COntracts, just ... magically weighted. Something similar to Unbreakable Wow in HP. I Was thinking Geas could be a good starting point?
    Geas or thisdude9001's suggestion seem like reasonable options to me!

Aura of Plants and animals: Up to a dozen plants and beasts within 240 feet of the Archfey must succeed on a DC 22 Wisdom saving throw or be unable to attack Archfey, while under this aura. If within 30 feet, and failing a save, these creatures/plants are considered magically charmed for an hour. The charmed target defends Archfey from any perceivable threat. If the target suffers any harm from the Archfey or another creature, the target can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a target's saving throw is successful, or if the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the Archfey's aura for the next 24 hours.
    I like it.

Well, you have two parties. One will provide goods, other services. Both parties make a small sacrifice to a fey and she appears. As they say out loud the contract, she magically binds it.

Also I'm thinking "contract" is sort of sentient. No lawyering around RAI. :D
    Makes sense. That would be good information to add to the stat block.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Is the Archfey supposed to be a boss fight, an NPC that the players will interact with, or both? I'm guessing that you're trying to make them at least potentially a combat encounter, since you're taking pains to design a full combat statblock and legendary actions. If so, I think it can be helpful to try and imagine how the fight will actually go and what the Archfey's strategy is.

My concern is that, after the first two or three turns, they don't have much to actually do that's deserving of a CR 20 creature. Mass Suggestion and Reverse Gravity are good, True Polymorph is strong, Wish is probably the sort of thing you'd save for an emergency escape, but what's after that? Slow, Dispel Magic, and cantrips, probably.

So, I think they could probably use a few more tricks (something to either escape from melee combat or attack in melee, for one thing), and also an explanation of how Conjure Fey actually works. If you're not sure, I'll suggest this.

Spoiler: Conjure Fey
    Show
    (2 actions): The Archfey summons sylvan creatures to assist them in combat. This ability can summon Blink Dogs, Satyrs, Green and Sea Hags, Faerie Dragons, Pixies, Sprites and Dryads in any combination, as long as the total CR of creatures summoned this way is 5 or less. The Archfey may summon additional creatures to replace any that are slain or banished, up to the same cap of 5 CR total.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2021-05-12 at 08:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Does the third legendary action need to take three actions, or could it just be a counterspell?

Similarly, I'm not sure the "Aura of Plants and animals" really should affect dead materials. Maybe it could grant advantage on saving throws to non-hostile beasts and plants within range and force hostile plants/beasts to succeed on a wisdom saving throw before they can target her with an attack?

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    So, I think they could probably use a few more tricks (something to either escape from melee combat or attack in melee, for one thing)
    I would definitely swap out blindness/deafness for misty step, partially because of this and also because its more likely to get used. Similarly, an 18th level caster should have at least 4 cantrips. I'd add one that forces a saving throw; being in melee doesn't affect those the way it affects ranged attack rolls.

And as much as I actually like the idea the archfey wouldn't stoop to making a melee attack, she needs something to do if she ends up in an antimagic field, and that should be listed as part of the archfey's actions.

Edit:
    If having natural armor strains your suspension of disbelief or feel thematically inappropriate, you could knock off the githzerai's psychic defense feature. Would look like this:

Defensive Glamour While the archfey is wearing no armor and wielding no shield, her AC includes her Charisma modifier.

That would give you an armor class of 19. It wouldn't really effect the way the players fight the monster (AC is AC), but when they miss you could sometimes make some descriptive comments about how the archfey's grace or elegance allows her to evade the blow.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2021-05-13 at 01:43 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Allrighty. Here she is, helpful ... helpers :D :D :D Thank you soo much!

Plant/Beast Archfey - Contract Enforcer
    Armor Class: 23 (Natural Armor, Defensive Glamour)
    Hit Points: 250
    Speed: 35 ft., fly 60 ft

Strength: 14 (+2) Dexterity: 18 (+4) Constitution: 13 (+2) Intelligence: 13 (+2) Wisdom: 18 (+4) Charisma: 20 (+5)
    Saving Throws: Dex +9, Int +7, Wis +9, Cha +10

Skills: Arcana +12, History +12, Perception +9, Deception +15

Damage Resistances: Fire, Lightning
    Damage Immunities: Necrotic, piercing, bludgeoning and slashing from non-magical weapons
    Condition Immunities: Charmed, frightened, paralyzed, petrified
    Senses: Truesight 120 feet, Passive Perception 19
    Languages: Common, Sylvan, Gnomish, Halfling, Druidic

Legendary Resistance (3/ day): If the Archfey fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
    Magic Resistance: The Archfey has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
    Defensive Glamour While the archfey is wearing no armor and wielding no shield, her AC includes her Charisma modifier.

Spellcasting: The Archfey is an 18th level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 20, +12 to hit with spell attacks). The Archfey has the following spells prepared, from the Sorcerer, Druid, and Warlock spell lists.

Cantrip (at will): Message, Eldritch Blast, Fire Bolt, Acid Splash

1st level (4 slots): Animal Friendship, Speak with Animals, Hex, Chromatic Orb

2nd level (3 slots): Animal Messenger, Locate Animals or Plants, Misty Step, Mirror Image

3rd level (3 slots): Dispel Magic, Plant Growth, Speak with Plants, Slow

4th level (3 slots): Greater Invisibility, Hallucinatory Terrain

5th level (3 slots): Teleportation Circle, Scrying

6th level (1 slot): Transport Via Plants, Mass Suggestion

7th level (1 slot): Regenerate, Reverse Gravity

8th level (1 slot): Anthipaty/Sympathy

9th level (1 slot): True Polymorph, Wish

Actions

Master of Contracts: Upon the creation of a contract between two parties she infuses each party with Intelligent spores. These spores enter their bodies and can not be damaged. When the spores detect a breach of the contract their magic rots their host, dealing 1d10 necrotic damage and 1d10 psychic damage each day. This damage cannot be healed until the spores are removed.

Legendary Actions

The Archfey can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The Archfey regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Move: The vampire moves up to its speed without provoking Opportunity Attacks.

Cantrip: The Archfey casts a cantrip.

Conjure Fey (2 actions): The Archfey summons sylvan creatures to assist them in combat. This ability can summon Blink Dogs, Satyrs, Green and Sea Hags, Faerie Dragons, Pixies, Sprites and Dryads in any combination, as long as the total CR of creatures summoned this way is 5 or less. The Archfey may summon additional creatures to replace any that are slain or banished, up to the same cap of 5 CR total.

An Archfey’s Lair

Lair Actions

On initiative count 20 (loosing initiative ties), the Archfey can take a lair action to cause one of the following magical effects: the Archfey can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row.

- The Archfey rolls a d8 and regains a spell slot of that level or lower. If it has no spell slots of that level or lower, nothing happens.

- The flow of time is altered such that every creature in its lair must reroll Initiative. The Archfey can choose not to reroll.

- Magical fog billows around one creature the Archfey can see within 120 feet of it. The creature must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by the Archfey until Initiative count 20 on the next round.