New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Got a Game, need help deciding character

So, I've finally got a 5e group. We're going to be playing Ravenloft next week and I need some advice on which character best suits the party. Party so far is Vengeance Paladin and Wild Magic Barbarian, the players haven't mentioned Race yet. 5 characters are possible for this party. Campaign starts at level 4.

1. Swiftstride Shifter Swashbuckler/Fey Wanderer, Folk Hero background. Skirmisher, Scout, and Face.
    2. Kalashtar Lore Bard/Scout, Sage background. Caster, Face, and Skillmonkey, minor Support
    3. Aarakocra Sun Soul Monk, Far Traveler background. Skirmisher and Scout.
    4. Tabaxi Celestial Warlock, Archeologist background. Caster and Face, minor Skillmonkey.
    5. Firbolg Stars Druid/Life Cleric. Acolyte background. Caster and Support.

Each would have their own reason for going to Ravenloft, but I'm not sure which to pick.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Got a Game, need help deciding character

Got info on Races of other players. Paladin is Half-Drow. Barbarian is Custom Origin. Also DMPC is going to be there. DM is thinking about Scorpion clan from Rokugan. Not sure if DM's boyfriend will play or not.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

A druid would be good-- the barbarian and paladin will fill out the front lines pretty well, but you could really use the crowd control and utility magic that a druid or wizard can provide.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    A druid would be good-- the barbarian and paladin will fill out the front lines pretty well, but you could really use the crowd control and utility magic that a druid or wizard can provide.
    Was thinking the same thing. You already got a weapon-damage focus, and the Paladin probably has some Charisma, so the only Non-Charisma Caster on the list is the Druid. Melee characters are the ones that would best leverage the Druid's Concentration spells, so that one would probably fill the biggest gap while having the most synergies.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-05-08 at 06:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!